Notices
Results 1 to 42 of 42

Thread: Tips on How to Survive and Stay a Long Time On The Science Forum

  1. #1 Tips on How to Survive and Stay a Long Time On The Science Forum 
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    4,844
    I think it is time to give the uninitiated a helping hand in securing and maintaining a foothold in the forum. I look at the Introductions subforum and can't help but notice many new recruits but where do they go from here? Thousands of members but very few contributors or commenters. The amount of members online at any given time is rather pathetic IMO. Why isn't there more? Is there a problem or do new members need better guidance? I suggest we tell them what it takes. This isn't about rules, regulations, research, education or citations, it's about making it through. I'm asking all for their advice to new members, based on experience(s) only, on how to make a go of it here. Here's a few of mine:

    My first suggestion is to not state a hypothesis or theory about anything in your opening ramblings. Tell us who you are first and if you can then say something complementary about the forum. It makes no sense to run the gauntlet early in the proceedings.

    Proceed with caution. This can be a very unfriendly place for a novice at times but a very rewarding adventure if you let it happen.

    Don't do anything stupid. Many have and then either been forcefully or voluntarily vanquished.

    If you are a scientist then by all means talk like one, back it up with something substantive

    If you are a layperson then it is best to ask questions before daring to display your knowledge.

    Appreciate the scientific advice you're given even if you think it's incorrect. Best wait for a more tenured veteran of the forum to correct. Your chance will come.

    Understand psychology, if you do then you can maneuver around quite comfortably. This is very important for the layperson.

    As a layperson you must understand that you are not a scientist, even though exceptions do occur.

    If you are an exception then you better be exceptional.

    Do not try and act like a scientist, they read Wiki too and can recognize a fraud instantly.

    You are not alone, many think like you do.

    Most people here are fairly smart so it is not wise to carry an air of contempt for others you regard as having lesser intelligences, especially if they're veterans

    Don't be embarrassed. You are anonymous and no one can hurt you. Be ready to admit an error or apologize if necessary.

    Atheists abound here so if not so inclined best stay away from certain subjects

    You need time to distinguish from who can be trusted and who are the raving lunatics so hang in as long as you can

    Get used to sarcasm. Learn to appreciate it.

    Earn some respect. For instance, do not claim there is no such thing as evolution.


    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    I think the main avenue for success in online forums and blogs is to do consciously what we all do unconsciously when joining in social activities at work or school or elsewhere.

    You hang back a bit and observe how things work. You can easily see the obvious things - like the standard of the language used and the nature of the jokes that are, and aren't, amusing or acceptable to the group. There are groups which allow or even encourage obscene or extreme language, but come down like an avalanche on personal insults or prejudiced aspersions on other people or groups. Some insist on no bad language ever, but allow direct insults and prejudiced statements so long as no naughty words are uttered or written. If you put a person from the first kind of group into the second kind of group, or vice versa, both will reject the interloper as being beyond rude. You need to get familiar with the verbal geography of the place you're putting yourself into if you think you'd like to stay. Here we try to be family friendly, but we don't hold back when statements are wrong, wrong, wrongity wrong.

    Get used to following the links that people put into posts and comments and using them appropriately.

    Do some research yourself, even if it doesn't result in a post or a comment. Build up a good selection of bookmarks in the areas that interest you.

    Basically, be a bit tentative and be overly polite at first. Use your own and others' research into various topics as well as you can.

    If you're still in school, don't be afraid to ask for explanations or help with assignments. Just be clear that that's what is needed and do some of the necessary work yourself to explain where you're getting stuck.


    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    be overly polite at first.
    I'm still doing this one... Well, Harold and his opinions and woo merchants not included.
    "Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes that you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."
    President Dwight Eisenhower
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Senior samsmoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post

    Earn some respect. For instance, do not claim there is no such thing as evolution.
    Or claim there is such a thing as evolutionism. That really gets 'em going.
    Scientists and religionists can be easily differentiated: one lot is arrogant, irascible and disdainful, the other believes in God.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Senior samsmoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post

    Basically, be a bit tentative and be overly polite at first.
    But don't expect much politeness in return if you happen to have a different viewpoint.
    Scientists and religionists can be easily differentiated: one lot is arrogant, irascible and disdainful, the other believes in God.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    Criticize a statement, never a person, not even someone not a member here, including someone as scientifically well-respected as Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein, or a well-known person of highly questionable scientific talent such as <fill in the blank>. When you start criticizing a person, you have left the realm of science.

    Despite any amount of scientific experience or education, if you make a statement, expect to be asked for references or proof. Even if you have believed something all your life or if something seems very obvious to you, scientists need proof, especially from independent reliable sources. Expect to defend your statements the way a graduate student defends a thesis or dissertation, although not so rigorously. Science is a thorough process ... don't take it personally.

    If folks here have dismissed your statement, theory, etc, either accept it or go look for more evidence. Don't start a second thread on the same subject (even if you post it in a different subforum), and don't hijack threads. The "Coin of Science" has two faces, one is proof, and the other is learning. If you can't engage others in proof, maybe it's time to engage yourself in some learning. The way to proof is through learning. Scientific learning is engaged with humility, not swagger.
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    I think it is time to give the uninitiated a helping hand in securing and maintaining a foothold in the forum. I look at the Introductions subforum and can't help but notice many new recruits but where do they go from here? Thousands of members but very few contributors or commenters. The amount of members online at any given time is rather pathetic IMO. Why isn't there more? Is there a problem or do new members need better guidance? I suggest we tell them what it takes. This isn't about rules, regulations, research, education or citations, it's about making it through.

    In numbers, 85.25% of all the members in the Members List has not made any posts, and 5.63% has a post count of exactly one.
    I guess that there are currently about 250 active members on the SF, which is indeed pathetic (given the number of users we gave).
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    I guess that there are currently about 250 active members on the SF, which is indeed pathetic (given the number of users we gave).
    Remember that the list of "members" includes many, many thousands of apparent-but-not-yet-used spam accounts.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    4,844
    Here's another tip: Don't resurrect the dead. Let the dead thread stay dead. Check the date of the last post and save yourself some embarrassment. Try starting a new thread instead.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    I like to use the mindset of "I'm here to learn, not to teach."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    I'm surprised I've never seen this topic before. I guess the forum is starting to get old. Here's another tip:

    People come and go. Those who gain pleasure out of harassment of others tend to get bored and move on. In hard times simply stay away for a while, 6-12 months, and the ruffians tend to move on.

    (Unfortunately, some good members don't come back, and others are banned, but this is another topic.)

    To add to jrmonroe's post, know what proof means.
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    I guess that there are currently about 250 active members on the SF, which is indeed pathetic (given the number of users we gave).
    Remember that the list of "members" includes many, many thousands of apparent-but-not-yet-used spam accounts.

    If so, then why are they not removed? If a sudden burst in activity arises, the SF will be flooded with spam.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    Perhaps there could be some algorithm that suspends accounts that remain inactive for a certain amount of time.

    Has anyone performed "autopsies" on spammers to see how they behave prior to going rogue? That would be interesting!
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    If so, then why are they not removed? If a sudden burst in activity arises, the SF will be flooded with spam.
    Harold started trying to check out "strangers" when the new registrations were flooding in late last year. Spent a couple of hours on it to get rid of some, sat back and saw that there were still 20000+ to go. Told us all about it and we agreed that none of us had the time or energy to spend endless hours checking people out, banning them, responding to the people we banned in error and fixing those mistakes.

    We volunteer for this work but not for endless hours of tedious servitude.

    Occasionally there's a flurry of spammers acting up. Had a few last week.

    So long as we get on them quickly, and people Do Not Respond To Them - except to hit the report button - we seem to be managing for the time being. (When people respond we're forced to actually read the thread. Waste of our time. Very Annoying.)
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    20,000-plus!! There should be an automated way to suspend/delete the account after a certain time of inactivity, maybe a few months. If the user tries to use it, then they would need to go through extra steps, or maybe re-register.

    A very important point

    Do Not Respond To Them [Spammers]
    Thanks
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Then people like me, who leave for a long time when annoying people are around would get deleted. That's no good.
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    If so, then why are they not removed? If a sudden burst in activity arises, the SF will be flooded with spam.
    Harold started trying to check out "strangers" when the new registrations were flooding in late last year. Spent a couple of hours on it to get rid of some, sat back and saw that there were still 20000+ to go. Told us all about it and we agreed that none of us had the time or energy to spend endless hours checking people out, banning them, responding to the people we banned in error and fixing those mistakes.

    Yes, I noted that flooding last year. The forum acquired ca. 50,000 new members in the span of two months.
    However, if you say that the process of banning members is tedious, then it is understandable that they are not deleted.

    Quote Originally Posted by jrmonroe View Post
    20,000-plus!! There should be an automated way to suspend/delete the account after a certain time of inactivity, maybe a few months. If the user tries to use it, then they would need to go through extra steps, or maybe re-register.

    That is not a bad idea, but it should be limited to the members who have made no posts up to that moment.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,707
    Something to bear in mind if you turn up with a "pet idea".
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Junior anticorncob28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nebraska, USA
    Posts
    276
    This is good. I often get scared to post something more than a simple statement or disagree with the popular opinion, because I see people suspended all the time and I don't want to be one of them. However, everybody I've seen who have been suspended got warnings before-hand. And no moderator has ever given such a threat to me, to my knowledge. Because when I post something on a thread and I forget about it, I am never notified of whoever responds. So somebody might say "I told you before that ___" and I might not know.
    "A 4 degree Celsius warmer world can, and must be, avoided"
    -Jim Young Kim (World Bank President)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Don't make a big deal about it..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Something to bear in mind if you turn up with a "pet idea".
    Will someone please fix the Like button?
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    anticorncob28,

    Big Bother is always watching...
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by anticorncob28 View Post
    This is good. I often get scared to post something more than a simple statement or disagree with the popular opinion, because I see people suspended all the time and I don't want to be one of them. However, everybody I've seen who have been suspended got warnings before-hand. And no moderator has ever given such a threat to me, to my knowledge. Because when I post something on a thread and I forget about it, I am never notified of whoever responds. So somebody might say "I told you before that ___" and I might not know.
    The people I've noticed getting banned are those who say something blatantly unscientific, get called out on it and then refuse to acknowledge this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anticorncob28 View Post
    This is good. I often get scared to post something more than a simple statement or disagree with the popular opinion, because I see people suspended all the time and I don't want to be one of them. However, everybody I've seen who have been suspended got warnings before-hand. And no moderator has ever given such a threat to me, to my knowledge. Because when I post something on a thread and I forget about it, I am never notified of whoever responds. So somebody might say "I told you before that ___" and I might not know.
    The people I've noticed getting banned are those who say something blatantly unscientific, get called out on it and then refuse to acknowledge this.
    They are definitely misunderstood.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    The people I've noticed getting banned are those who say something blatantly unscientific, get called out on it and then refuse to acknowledge this.
    Yes, being mature enough to state something also means being mature enough to retract it.
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anticorncob28 View Post
    This is good. I often get scared to post something more than a simple statement or disagree with the popular opinion, because I see people suspended all the time and I don't want to be one of them. However, everybody I've seen who have been suspended got warnings before-hand. And no moderator has ever given such a threat to me, to my knowledge. Because when I post something on a thread and I forget about it, I am never notified of whoever responds. So somebody might say "I told you before that ___" and I might not know.
    The people I've noticed getting banned are those who say something blatantly unscientific, get called out on it and then refuse to acknowledge this.

    I propose that, before a registration is completed, new members should fill in a science quiz. If they fail, their registration is cancelled.
    Anti-scientific members can therefore be excluded and thus not cause mayhem and flood us with idiocy.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    You can be antiscientific, however, you have to know where to post your non scientific ideas. There is sub forums for that... People get butt hurt when somebody tells them their idea has flaws or is scientifically incorrect. Instead of getting butt hurt you should take it as an opportunity to learn.

    Again, don't make a big deal about it.. Keep coming back, cause this forum is not really in a good state. I suspect its because a lot of people who post ideas and their ideas are shutdown they get butt hurt and tend not to reappear again. Lol.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    I propose that, before a registration is completed, new members should fill in a science quiz. If they fail, their registration is cancelled.
    Anti-scientific members can therefore be excluded and thus not cause mayhem and flood us with idiocy.
    I'd have to disagree with any kind of qualification before participation. We don't want to exclude schoolkids nor people who've finished school but who've gone along with the family's or their church's idea of what science is and isn't.

    We're not into teaching here. But we do a lot of educating.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post

    I propose that, before a registration is completed, new members should fill in a science quiz. If they fail, their registration is cancelled.
    Anti-scientific members can therefore be excluded and thus not cause mayhem and flood us with idiocy.
    You would all be board out of your minds if that happened.
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,102
    Have a sense of humor!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Have a sense of humor!
    Have a laugh but leave some people alone. There seem to be those who have a goal to see such and such a person gone (notice my paranoia, or is it really my wisdom?). I think I've learnt to read the signs and back off gently now. I humor them now.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Have a sense of humor!
    Have a laugh but leave some people alone. There seem to be those who have a goal to see such and such a person gone (notice my paranoia, or is it really my wisdom?). I think I've learnt to read the signs and back off gently now. I humor them now.
    WIsdom is a good think, Robert....to read, listen and think before replying is a good thing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    not ADM!N grmpysmrf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    I propose that, before a registration is completed, new members should fill in a science quiz. If they fail, their registration is cancelled.
    Anti-scientific members can therefore be excluded and thus not cause mayhem and flood us with idiocy.
    I would fail that quiz.
    "Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes that you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."
    President Dwight Eisenhower
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,102
    Quote Originally Posted by grmpysmrf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    I propose that, before a registration is completed, new members should fill in a science quiz. If they fail, their registration is cancelled.
    Anti-scientific members can therefore be excluded and thus not cause mayhem and flood us with idiocy.
    I would fail that quiz.

    99.9% WOULD

    BAD SUGGESTION this is about LEARNING also

    not about snobbery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    What if it's a really simple quiz?

    #1: Which of these is a real element?
    (a) Earth, (b) Air, (c) Fire, (d) Water, (e) Hydrogen, (f) Aether.

    #2: True of false?
    The Earth is the exact center of the Universe and the Sun and planets all go around it.

    #3: Evolution is...
    (a) Science,
    (b) A conspiracy,
    (c) A Satanic lie.

    #4: When did the Universe begin?
    (a) 14 billion years ago,
    (b) 6'000 years ago,
    (c) Last Tuesday.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    What if it's a really simple quiz?

    #1: Which of these is a real element?
    (a) Earth, (b) Air, (c) Fire, (d) Water, (e) Hydrogen, (f) Aether.

    #2: True of false?
    The Earth is the exact center of the Universe and the Sun and planets all go around it.

    #3: Evolution is...
    (a) Science,
    (b) A conspiracy,
    (c) A Satanic lie.

    #4: When did the Universe begin?
    (a) 14 billion years ago,
    (b) 6'000 years ago,
    (c) Last Tuesday.
    Not a scientist

    Air

    Science

    *chuckle...Last Tuesday!!

    *ducking*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Another tip from a long timer: Never post anything of substance....and when in doubt...post a picture of a kitteh.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    305
    The like button is broke? I was wondering why my posts weren't being spammed by 100s of likes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,707
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    BAD SUGGESTION this is about LEARNING also
    not about snobbery
    But we can fit snobbery in as well!
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    BAD SUGGESTION this is about LEARNING also
    not about snobbery
    But we can fit snobbery in as well!
    SMOOCHIES on your BEAK

    *ducking*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    BAD SUGGESTION this is about LEARNING also
    not about snobbery
    But we can fit snobbery in as well!
    SMOOCHIES on your BEAK

    *ducking*
    You're sick babe!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    BAD SUGGESTION this is about LEARNING also
    not about snobbery
    But we can fit snobbery in as well!
    SMOOCHIES on your BEAK

    *ducking*
    You're sick babe!

    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 30th, 2013, 11:01 AM
  2. Replies: 104
    Last Post: April 19th, 2013, 03:14 AM
  3. Why does water stay level to gravity all the time?
    By tikai in forum Personal Theories & Alternative Ideas
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: October 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •