Notices
Results 1 to 28 of 28
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By billvon
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By adelady

Thread: dave robinson i saw what i think were alien ships

  1. #1 dave robinson i saw what i think were alien ships 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6
    i just wanted to tell someone about what i saw , it was october 2008 , i was i newquay cornwall england, at my mother in laws house , i smoke , and could not do so i the house , so i went outside in the back yard, i often look at the stars on a clear night , and can see , and recognise most stars , but on this night , i saw two that i had never seen before ,then to my amazement , one shot across the sky , so fast , and then stopped again , i ofcourse iknew then they were not stars , moments later the other did the same ,stopping next to the first one, ,wanted to tell someone to come and see but could not be heard at the front of the house , i continued to watch , they stayed for 11 minutes before shooting off , i went back in doors , quite pleased at what i had seen as i always knew there must be other life somewhere , i dont care if nobody beleaves me , i just know for my own mind ,thats it really i hope one day to see the again , thank for reading ,

    well people all over the world can not all be wrong, ( can they ?? )


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by david robinson View Post
    well people all over the world can not all be wrong, ( can they ?? )
    Wrong that they saw something? Maybe not.

    Wrong about what it was? Sure.


    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6
    well i think as no one has ever built a craft that can move at the speed i saw on earth , its pretty darn sure its not of our world , and as for not contacting us , i think they have , and thats were we get most of the inventions like what we are using now from , and i think they have been coming for hundreds of years ,
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,810
    Another ufo nutcase.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6
    at leased i saw something , you ever seen god, i havent
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,014
    @ David; Think about what you are suggesting you saw. While looking at stars you noted sudden motion and very quick movement. That a second object did the same..you saw. From your location and considering no sound was heard these object must be above 38,000 ft ( to be silent ) Do you think the skies above England are not constantly observed by air traffic control and military installations.. There ARE people who's job it is, to know what is in the air above you.. us. Of from all of the so called sightings. Not a single fact of reality has been found. Not one. Just from how you have described what you think you saw.. Insects.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6
    i dont know of anything apart from a helicopter that can stay in one place ,and the do not fly that high or move that fast,
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Another ufo nutcase.
    Moderator Warning: Personal remarks of this nature are not acceptable. You may attack the logic of a poster, challenge the factual content of their assertions, but insults will not be tolerated. Please refrain from posts such as this in future.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by david robinson View Post
    well i think as no one has ever built a craft that can move at the speed i saw on earth , its pretty darn sure its not of our world , and as for not contacting us , i think they have , and thats were we get most of the inventions like what we are using now from , and i think they have been coming for hundreds of years ,
    Estimating the distance and speed of ill-defined objects, at night, is a difficult and uncertain task. Even experts trained in this will find it seriously challenging and prone to error. What makes you so confident you posses a level of skill they lack?

    Would you mention one or two inventions you think we may have acquired from extra-terrestrial visitors?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6
    well the helicopter was thought of years before we had flight, someone i cant remember his name right now , didnt just pluck that one out of the air pardon the pun ,
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by david robinson View Post
    well the helicopter was thought of years before we had flight, someone i cant remember his name right now
    DaVinci. Also thought of the parachute. Neither would have worked, although both were good ideas.

    I have half a dozen ideas we could not possibly implement now because we lack the technology. Doesn't mean I was visited by aliens.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6
    hi billvon, so do i but its other things that have been invented that gave most of the so called new ideas, but i just dont think we could be silly as to think we are the only living beings ever ,they say mars had life once so why not other planets , ,, with more technology than we have ,
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by david robinson View Post
    well the helicopter was thought of years before we had flight, someone i cant remember his name right now
    DaVinci. Also thought of the parachute. Neither would have worked, although both were good ideas.

    I have half a dozen ideas we could not possibly implement now because we lack the technology. Doesn't mean I was visited by aliens.
    Were you exaggerating? Tell us what they are please?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by david robinson View Post
    hi billvon, so do i but its other things that have been invented that gave most of the so called new ideas
    ??? Other invented things gave us new ideas? You mean things need to be invented before people can have ideas that build on the invention? Demonstrably not true; there have been a lot of accidental/entirely unrelated inventions coming out of orthogonal work.
    As an example if you want to read a great story about the effect that Internet forums have on human social interaction, read "The Machine Stops." It was written in 1901. Lots of people imagine things without having the technology invented.
    but i just dont think we could be silly as to think we are the only living beings ever
    It's almost certain that we are not. (At least for a sufficiently wide definition of "living.")
    they say mars had life once
    Well, no, "they" don't. So far there have been no concrete signs that life ever existed on Mars.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Were you exaggerating? Tell us what they are please?
    Ideas that we can't implement yet? Sure. Off the top of my head:

    Pipelines carrying seawater to people's homes, with small solar desalinators at everyone's home and business. The "waste" water gets used to flush toilets and cool power plants. If you want to get fancy, the pipe is double walled and transparent, and the pipe itself functions as the desalinator. Minimal new technology needed, just refinements on current technology.

    Embedded cables that transfer power from said cable to an electric car/bus inductively. We lack the magnetic materials (high mu, low mu'') to do this cheaply, so the systems that can do this now are large and very expensive.

    "Rent a ride" long haul trucks who let you get a ride from them. Your electric vehicle docks on the back and gets a free ride from the truck's engine. Almost no additional power used since the car is in the truck's burble. You pay the trucker rent, and your car's motor also helps him climb hills and brake while descending. Technology needed - intelligent dynamic vehicle controller (like self driving but different kinematics.)

    Capacitor based batteries for electric vehicles. Last forever and charge almost instantly. We lack the dielectric materials needed to make this a reality. Alternatively superconducting current storage batteries. We lack the room temperature superconductors needed for this.

    Dynamic real time pricing for grid power combined with smart agents to control consumption and generation. Could eliminate our problems with storing solar power. We're pretty close to this, just need more intelligence in the agents themselves.

    These are all near term. Some longer term ideas:

    Alpha emitter reaction rockets for launching payloads into orbit. You prepare an alpha emitter element, shove it in a rocket nozzle and the reaction drives you into orbit. Thrust decays due to natural half-live of the element until your thrust goes almost to zero. At that point you detach from the booster and the residual thrust parks the booster in a distant orbit. A new way of catalyzing alpha decay reactions would be needed since no existing material can do this.

    Beta emitter energy sources. A pure beta emitter gives you almost pure electrical current out of a chunk of radioactive (but easily shielded) material. Existing beta emitters generate very little power, so a fundamental change in how to catalyze beta decay is needed.
    RedPanda likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,810
    i dont know of anything apart from a helicopter that can stay in one place ,and the do not fly that high or move that fast,
    Harrier jump jets. They're used a lot in the British armed services.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,014
    As you.. David Robertson are the one making a claim to have seen a space craft and seem to think it must be that. Is what is at issue here. You go on to suggest 'they' have been here before.. Hmm.. When and where did this happen ? When you see something you can not explain by known data why would you assume it of alien origin. Things like this have a label.
    ~ It is a UFO. That's a Unidentified Flying Object. Speculations of what it may have been can be very complex and wrong. As a night rated private pilot and having spent twelve years at sea and being a active member of a astronomical society has given me some years of observations of odd things.. Not one of them was a alien space vehicle.. Answers can be found for most cases and finding those answers require information. Things like you talk of could be a simple insect in your line of sight being lit from a near to it street lamp. Do you wear glasses ? Light refractions can be and are funny things. The distance from you is uncertain and speculations are almost always wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Were you exaggerating? Tell us what they are please?
    Ideas that we can't implement yet? Sure. Off the top of my head:

    Pipelines carrying seawater to people's homes, with small solar desalinators at everyone's home and business. The "waste" water gets used to flush toilets and cool power plants. If you want to get fancy, the pipe is double walled and transparent, and the pipe itself functions as the desalinator. Minimal new technology needed, just refinements on current technology.

    Embedded cables that transfer power from said cable to an electric car/bus inductively. We lack the magnetic materials (high mu, low mu'') to do this cheaply, so the systems that can do this now are large and very expensive.

    "Rent a ride" long haul trucks who let you get a ride from them. Your electric vehicle docks on the back and gets a free ride from the truck's engine. Almost no additional power used since the car is in the truck's burble. You pay the trucker rent, and your car's motor also helps him climb hills and brake while descending. Technology needed - intelligent dynamic vehicle controller (like self driving but different kinematics.)

    Capacitor based batteries for electric vehicles. Last forever and charge almost instantly. We lack the dielectric materials needed to make this a reality. Alternatively superconducting current storage batteries. We lack the room temperature superconductors needed for this.

    Dynamic real time pricing for grid power combined with smart agents to control consumption and generation. Could eliminate our problems with storing solar power. We're pretty close to this, just need more intelligence in the agents themselves.

    These are all near term. Some longer term ideas:

    Alpha emitter reaction rockets for launching payloads into orbit. You prepare an alpha emitter element, shove it in a rocket nozzle and the reaction drives you into orbit. Thrust decays due to natural half-live of the element until your thrust goes almost to zero. At that point you detach from the booster and the residual thrust parks the booster in a distant orbit. A new way of catalyzing alpha decay reactions would be needed since no existing material can do this.

    Beta emitter energy sources. A pure beta emitter gives you almost pure electrical current out of a chunk of radioactive (but easily shielded) material. Existing beta emitters generate very little power, so a fundamental change in how to catalyze beta decay is needed.
    I impressed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,522
    Quote Originally Posted by david robinson View Post
    i saw two that i had never seen before ,then to my amazement , one shot across the sky , so fast , and then stopped again , i ofcourse iknew then they were not stars , moments later the other did the same
    There is a well known optical illusion that causes stars to appear to move rapidly. This is one possible explanation. There are other possible mundane explanations. There is absolutely no reason, that I can see, to conclude these are "craft". And, even if they were, there is absolutely no evidence that they are alien craft.

    You are just jumping to conclusions.

    well people all over the world can not all be wrong, ( can they ?? )
    People have an amazing ability to see meaning or significance where there is none:
    Apophenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Pareidolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cogito Ergo Sum likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by david robinson View Post
    i saw two that i had never seen before ,then to my amazement , one shot across the sky , so fast , and then stopped again , i ofcourse iknew then they were not stars , moments later the other did the same
    There is a well known optical illusion that causes stars to appear to move rapidly. This is one possible explanation. There are other possible mundane explanations. There is absolutely no reason, that I can see, to conclude these are "craft". And, even if they were, there is absolutely no evidence that they are alien craft.

    You are just jumping to conclusions.

    well people all over the world can not all be wrong, ( can they ?? )
    People have an amazing ability to see meaning or significance where there is none:
    Apophenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Pareidolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I thought those two references were bordering on ridicule.

    What is the name of the effect where stars move like the OP describes?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    I thought those two references were bordering on ridicule.
    I can't imagine why you would think that. It is an amazing example of the abilities of the human brain. The fact it can mislead us, if we are not aware of it, is no reason for ridicule.

    It should also be noted (with reference to eye-witness testimony in general, not the OPs report necessarily) that eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable. People's descriptions of the same even will vary enormously, even when they know what they are looking at. If it is something they don't recognise/understand then they will diverge even more as they attempt to make sense of it. Also, what people think they saw changes over time as they retell the story (it is very easy to make people remmeber things that never happened).

    What is the name of the effect where stars move like the OP describes?
    Autokinetic effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,522
    Quote Originally Posted by billvon View Post
    Ideas that we can't implement yet? Sure. Off the top of my head:
    Many of these (or the underlying technology) are under development.

    Dynamic real time pricing for grid power combined with smart agents to control consumption and generation. Could eliminate our problems with storing solar power. We're pretty close to this, just need more intelligence in the agents themselves.
    There are R&D projects looking at this including the use of electric vehicles as temporary storage for power. For example everyone gets home from work and plugs in their cars to charge. Their will be a surge in demand for power as people start cooking, turning on heating/AC, etc. If your vehicle has enough charge, then it can be "borrowed" to smooth the peak in demand. Afterwards, your vehicle is charged as normal. When people wake up and there is another peak, then again, power could be borrowed from your vehicle.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,522
    Quote Originally Posted by david robinson View Post
    hi billvon, so do i but its other things that have been invented that gave most of the so called new ideas, but i just dont think we could be silly as to think we are the only living beings ever ,they say mars had life once so why not other planets , ,, with more technology than we have ,
    It is entirely possible (although not certain) that there is intelligent life elsewhere. However, even if there is, there is no reason to assume that a couple of unexplained lights are aliens.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    I thought those two references were bordering on ridicule.
    I can't imagine why you would think that. It is an amazing example of the abilities of the human brain. The fact it can mislead us, if we are not aware of it, is no reason for ridicule.

    It should also be noted (with reference to eye-witness testimony in general, not the OPs report necessarily) that eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable. People's descriptions of the same even will vary enormously, even when they know what they are looking at. If it is something they don't recognise/understand then they will diverge even more as they attempt to make sense of it. Also, what people think they saw changes over time as they retell the story (it is very easy to make people remmeber things that never happened).

    What is the name of the effect where stars move like the OP describes?
    Autokinetic effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'll have to look into that tomorrow. It doesn't sound like it could yield a description "of shot across the sky".
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    I'll have to look into that tomorrow. It doesn't sound like it could yield a description "of shot across the sky".
    I am not saying that this is the explanation of the OP's sighting (although it could be). Simply pointing out that there are very many more plausible explanations before one has any reason to say either "craft!" or "aliens!!". In fact, given how little data there is, there is absolutely no justification for either of those conclusions. Perhaps the only definite answer is "unknown".
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    It doesn't sound like it could yield a description "of shot across the sky".
    First thing to do is to anchor it in the observer's perception. So using a form of words like "shot across the field of vision" is a much more workable basis.

    It immediately brings into consideration how skilled or experienced the person is in accounting for their own depth perception - and other visual processing matters which might or might not be within their (or your) control or understanding.
    Strange likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,531
    Quote Originally Posted by david robinson View Post
    i just wanted to tell someone about what i saw , it was october 2008 , i was i newquay cornwall england, at my mother in laws house , i smoke , and could not do so i the house , so i went outside in the back yard, i often look at the stars on a clear night , and can see , and recognise most stars , but on this night , i saw two that i had never seen before ,then to my amazement , one shot across the sky , so fast , and then stopped again , i ofcourse iknew then they were not stars , moments later the other did the same ,stopping next to the first one, ,wanted to tell someone to come and see but could not be heard at the front of the house , i continued to watch , they stayed for 11 minutes before shooting off , i went back in doors , quite pleased at what i had seen as i always knew there must be other life somewhere , i dont care if nobody beleaves me , i just know for my own mind ,thats it really i hope one day to see the again , thank for reading ,

    well people all over the world can not all be wrong, ( can they ?? )
    Let's see. You say this all took place in Cornwall?

    Way out west | From the Guardian | The Guardian
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Many of these (or the underlying technology) are under development.
    Definitely. And knowing them does not mean that I have secret (or even alien supplied) information - it just means I'm an engineer who works in several of those fields.

    There are R&D projects looking at this including the use of electric vehicles as temporary storage for power. For example everyone gets home from work and plugs in their cars to charge. Their will be a surge in demand for power as people start cooking, turning on heating/AC, etc. If your vehicle has enough charge, then it can be "borrowed" to smooth the peak in demand. Afterwards, your vehicle is charged as normal. When people wake up and there is another peak, then again, power could be borrowed from your vehicle.
    Right now in San Diego (which is a big EV market) we're seeing an interesting effect due to EV charging time offset. There is beginning to be a noticeable "bump" in power draw around midnight as people start charging their cars. (Both the cars and the chargers can be programmed to start charging at a specific time.) There's no intelligence to the process now, just recommendations from the utility and the car manufacturers.

    V2G (vehicle-to-grid) is another promising technology although I think it will be more applicable to hybrids than to pure EV's.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 12th, 2014, 04:30 PM
  2. Greetings from ADD Dave
    By ADD Dave in forum Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 21st, 2014, 01:41 AM
  3. Melancholy Elephants, by Spider Robinson
    By Omphalos in forum Science-Fiction and Non-Fiction
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 27th, 2009, 09:49 PM
  4. Red Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson
    By Omphalos in forum Science-Fiction and Non-Fiction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 31st, 2008, 01:05 PM
  5. Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson
    By Lucifer in forum Science-Fiction and Non-Fiction
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 20th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •