Notices
Results 1 to 69 of 69
Like Tree73Likes
  • 1 Post By Schneibster
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 3 Post By Schneibster
  • 3 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By Schneibster
  • 2 Post By dan hunter
  • 2 Post By Schneibster
  • 3 Post By Bad Robot
  • 2 Post By Schneibster
  • 3 Post By Schneibster
  • 2 Post By Schneibster
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 1 Post By Bad Robot
  • 1 Post By Schneibster
  • 2 Post By Schneibster
  • 3 Post By Bad Robot
  • 2 Post By Schneibster
  • 2 Post By Bad Robot
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 4 Post By Flick Montana
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By Schneibster
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 2 Post By scheherazade
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 1 Post By scheherazade
  • 1 Post By icewendigo
  • 1 Post By Schneibster
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 1 Post By PumaMan
  • 2 Post By Schneibster
  • 2 Post By umbradiago
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 1 Post By Bad Robot
  • 2 Post By Flick Montana
  • 1 Post By umbradiago
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 1 Post By Schneibster
  • 1 Post By scheherazade
  • 1 Post By Schneibster
  • 3 Post By scheherazade
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 1 Post By babe

Thread: Da Schneib slides in

  1. #1 Da Schneib slides in 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    You can call me "Schneib." It's easier to type. I intend infest your cosmology and physics forums. I do some astrophotography and have wide-ranging interests so I may occasionally show up elsewhere. I have extensive experience on climate change, and if folks ask I'll share that too.


    PumaMan likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    What does "extensive experience" mean? Do you work in the sciences? I'd love to see more feedback from climate scientists and especially a paleoclimatologist.

    Welcome to the forum.


    Schneibster likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    What does "extensive experience" mean? Do you work in the sciences? I'd love to see more feedback from climate scientists and especially a paleoclimatologist.

    Welcome to the forum.
    Actually what it means is I've done a lot of fighting against climate deniers and I know where the flaws are in their arguments, and where the sites are that the paleoclimatologists post, as well as the climate geophysicists. Not to mention where the lists of scholarly papers by each side are. Interestingly climate science may be much more accessible for most people than, for example, physics, or cosmology, are. And you can actually teach a lot of basic physics, like absorption spectra of molecules, and other interesting stuff like that, around it, if you can get the deniers to stop harassing you.

    And thanks.

    Oh and BTW if we want some real paleogeophysicists I know where to recruit some but we'd have to be careful not to let them get harassed, and I won't bother unless I see a polite and tolerant atmosphere free of climate crank nutjobs.
    PumaMan, Bad Robot and umbradiago like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    I have extensive experience on climate change
    Yeah?
    How many climates have you changed?
    5?
    6?
    More?


    Welcome.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Only the one in my house.

    Thanks for asking.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Welcome.
    umbradiago and Schneibster like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Oh and go Giants. That's the San Francisco baseball Giants. And go Niners. I am old skool faithful to both.
    babe and umbradiago like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Welcome Schneibster, I did a search on your ID. That ID got 49 hits. I've never heard of anybody using an ID for a Photobucket account before. But if that's your account, I like the pictures you've been uploading to it. Like the one below.



    You might like the link/Topic below. If you like posting pictures we have several threads you might be interested in.

    Post Cool Backgrounds
    babe, umbradiago and Schneibster like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    Oh and go Giants. That's the San Francisco baseball Giants. And go Niners. I am old skool faithful to both.
    babe is a 49'rs fan, but I grew up in Southern California, so was mostly a Rams/Dodgers fan. I moved out of California in my fourties and supported the local team where ever I ended up. I don't remember the Rams ever being in a SuperBowl, but when I lived in Dallas/Fortworth area the Cowboys won the Superbowl 2 years in a row and now I'm in Washington and the Seahawks won the Superbowl. What can I say?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Lots of people like my picturethangs. Watch out though, I've been bad places and might change the names before I start posting them here. It depends how some in-progress negotiations go.
    PumaMan and Bad Robot like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    We were living in the Eastside when the 'Hawks went up against Pittsburgh. Only for those few years though.

    OTOH, I was born up there and lived my first five years in Seattle, and have always nursed a liking for them; you could hear the air raid sirens from Huskies Stadium just over the hill on Saturday afternoons, from my first house. Them, echoing from over the hill and from the TV, and the Blue Angels practicing over our place, before Sea Fair, were my first memories. That and watching the real Blue Angels Show and the hydroplane races from the lakeshore down from my grandmother's house, which is one up from the shore.
    PumaMan, Bad Robot and babe like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    And I am of course a smartaleck.

    But I hope I can take it as well as dish it out.
    PumaMan and Bad Robot like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    Oh and BTW if we want some real paleogeophysicists I know where to recruit some but we'd have to be careful not to let them get harassed, and I won't bother unless I see a polite and tolerant atmosphere free of climate crank nutjobs.
    Most of the people I work with are paleoclimatologists or sedimentologists doing paleoclimate studies. I was just curious if you were working in the field and had anything to share. My favorite aspect of this forum is the personal side of the posts. Anyone can get on Google Scholar and find papers. It gets a little boring after a while.

    As for the cranks and nutjobs, our mods do a good job of keeping them in the Trash Can so avoid that area if you don't want to talk to them. Sometimes, I like to go there and harass them.
    Schneibster likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    Lots of people like my picturethangs. Watch out though, I've been bad places and might change the names before I start posting them here. It depends how some in-progress negotiations go.
    Nice bumper sticker We have something in common.
    Schneibster likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    Oh and BTW if we want some real paleogeophysicists I know where to recruit some but we'd have to be careful not to let them get harassed, and I won't bother unless I see a polite and tolerant atmosphere free of climate crank nutjobs.
    Most of the people I work with are paleoclimatologists or sedimentologists doing paleoclimate studies. I was just curious if you were working in the field and had anything to share. My favorite aspect of this forum is the personal side of the posts. Anyone can get on Google Scholar and find papers. It gets a little boring after a while.
    No kidding especially after they've recycled the same withdrawn paper fifteen times.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    As for the cranks and nutjobs, our mods do a good job of keeping them in the Trash Can so avoid that area if you don't want to talk to them. Sometimes, I like to go there and harass them.
    I live in hope.
    Bad Robot likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    Lots of people like my picturethangs. Watch out though, I've been bad places and might change the names before I start posting them here. It depends how some in-progress negotiations go.
    Nice bumper sticker We have something in common.
    I've never been shy about my beliefs.
    Bad Robot and umbradiago like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    Lots of people like my picturethangs. Watch out though, I've been bad places and might change the names before I start posting them here. It depends how some in-progress negotiations go.
    Nice bumper sticker We have something in common.
    I've never been shy about my beliefs.
    I sense you like to have fun with your posting and you have no trouble laughing at yourself. Two very good qualities that will serve you well in this forum. The following picture from your Photobucket account would do quite nicely in our Jokes thread and penii cracked me up. Jokes

    babe, umbradiago and Schneibster like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Sometimes I use a Domo Monster from the background of that shot for my avatar.



    In general I enjoy weird humor.
    Bad Robot and umbradiago like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    Sometimes I use a Domo Monster from the background of that shot for my avatar.



    In general I enjoy weird humor.
    Yes I know.
    DogLady and Schneibster like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    That is definitely a favorite.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    You can call me "Schneib." It's easier to type. I intend infest your cosmology and physics forums. I do some astrophotography and have wide-ranging interests so I may occasionally show up elsewhere. I have extensive experience on climate change, and if folks ask I'll share that too.
    Welcome and watch out for Flick Montana.....he has odd food tastes!!!


    *ducking from Sir Flicky*
    Schneibster likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    Oh and go Giants. That's the San Francisco baseball Giants. And go Niners. I am old skool faithful to both.
    babe is a 49'rs fan, but I grew up in Southern California, so was mostly a Rams/Dodgers fan. I moved out of California in my fourties and supported the local team where ever I ended up. I don't remember the Rams ever being in a SuperBowl, but when I lived in Dallas/Fortworth area the Cowboys won the Superbowl 2 years in a row and now I'm in Washington and the Seahawks won the Superbowl. What can I say?
    I an AVID 49'ers and GIANTS Fan!! Season ticket holders and we bought our seats! Years ago!
    Schneibster likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    And I am of course a smartaleck.

    But I hope I can take it as well as dish it out.
    I am NEVER a smart ass.....ask Bad Robot!! I am an
    Schneibster likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    You can call me "Schneib." It's easier to type. I intend infest your cosmology and physics forums. I do some astrophotography and have wide-ranging interests so I may occasionally show up elsewhere. I have extensive experience on climate change, and if folks ask I'll share that too.
    Welcome and watch out for Flick Montana.....he has odd food tastes!!!


    *ducking from Sir Flicky*
    She's right. If you like beets and licorice, we can't be friends.
    KALSTER, Bad Robot, babe and 1 others like this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Hmmm, don't like licorice, but I'll eat beets on a salad by choice, especially a crab louis. Their flavor lends itself to this.

    OTOH, just beets? No. I don't like just beets. And I won't eat them by themselves. Nor boiled
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Hello and welcome to the Science Forum!

    I see that you are already settled here, so you will certainly fit in.
    Schneibster likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Thank you. I'm having fun so far!
    Bad Robot likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Beets are good sliced with sliced cook potatoes, onions, salt, pepper and vinegar and oil..
    Schneibster likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    I'm not a fan of them save under very specific conditions. You're lucky I'll eat them at all; I won't eat a squash bigger than my fist.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    I only eat squash when I don't know I am eating it!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Try 5-minute medallioned steamed yellow crookneck squash in cream and parmesan with fennel and basil. Go easy on the fennel until you know you like it; it's hard to overdo basil. You can substitute low-fat low-cholesterol spread and fat-free half-and-half and low-fat parmesan for a healthy diet.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    Try 5-minute medallioned steamed yellow crookneck squash in cream and parmesan with fennel and basil. Go easy on the fennel until you know you like it; it's hard to overdo basil. You can substitute low-fat low-cholesterol spread and fat-free half-and-half and low-fat parmesan for a healthy diet.
    Tummy doesn't much like creamy things. I don't mind it grilled.....but like you, I refer them tiny!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,055
    Hello Schneibster, systems engineer from Monteray. Welcome to this reference point in cyberspace.

    51.62 posts per day average, eh?

    You've got serious competition here, babe, lol...
    umbradiago and Schneibster like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Hello Schneibster, systems engineer from Monteray. Welcome to this reference point in cyberspace.

    51.62 posts per day average, eh?

    You've got serious competition here, babe, lol...
    Brat Horse Lady!
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Hello Schneibster, systems engineer from Monteray. Welcome to this reference point in cyberspace.

    51.62 posts per day average, eh?

    You've got serious competition here, babe, lol...
    Brat Horse Lady!
    You average 31.90 posts per day yourself.

    I'm waiting to see how long Da Schnieb can maintain this pace, lol...
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Hello Schneibster, systems engineer from Monteray. Welcome to this reference point in cyberspace.

    51.62 posts per day average, eh?

    You've got serious competition here, babe, lol...
    Brat Horse Lady!
    You average 31.90 posts per day yourself.

    I'm waiting to see how long Da Schnieb can maintain this pace, lol...
    He's a better man than I.

    Ooops I'm female!!! I get so confused!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,148
    hi Schneibster, welcome. I like your mythos Avatar.
    Schneibster likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Thanks, Wendigo, I like yours too!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    I'm just getting acquainted, I'll slow down some but this place is really good so far.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    Try 5-minute medallioned steamed yellow crookneck squash in cream and parmesan with fennel and basil. Go easy on the fennel until you know you like it; it's hard to overdo basil. You can substitute low-fat low-cholesterol spread and fat-free half-and-half and low-fat parmesan for a healthy diet.
    Tummy doesn't much like creamy things. I don't mind it grilled.....but like you, I refer them tiny!
    Grilling them with olive and Provence-style herbs works too.

    On edit, gurgle, olive oil, that is.
    Last edited by Schneibster; March 8th, 2014 at 02:42 PM.
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    Beets are good sliced with sliced cook potatoes, onions, salt, pepper and vinegar and oil..
    I like roasting small beets in the oven with the skins on and then using the result on things like this.


    Beetroot, Caramelised Red Onion & Goats Cheese Tart | Dale Pinnock (Can't remember if I've ever used this particular recipe, but they're all good.)
    Schneibster likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    Beets are good sliced with sliced cook potatoes, onions, salt, pepper and vinegar and oil..
    I like roasting small beets in the oven with the skins on and then using the result on things like this.


    Beetroot, Caramelised Red Onion & Goats Cheese Tart | Dale Pinnock (Can't remember if I've ever used this particular recipe, but they're all good.)
    cold beets ok..hot beets...yuck!!!
    Bad Robot likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    Beets are good sliced with sliced cook potatoes, onions, salt, pepper and vinegar and oil..
    I like roasting small beets in the oven with the skins on and then using the result on things like this.


    Beetroot, Caramelised Red Onion & Goats Cheese Tart | Dale Pinnock (Can't remember if I've ever used this particular recipe, but they're all good.)
    With cheese? You know, that might just work. Have to be not-too-sweet beets.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    I did a search on "beet recipes for people who hate beets" and found the following picture of beets that I might give a try.

    Orange-glazed Beets Recipe

    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    I heard someone mention orange-glazed beets once upon a time. I've never tried them.

    Oh and I forgot one other class of "not-food" things:

    No Ruuuuuuuude-abagas
    No parsnips
    No jicama
    No turnips

    I'll eat carrots. Please don't boil them until they are transparent.

    So Flick, while I do not share your absolute aversion to beets, I can understand it completely.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    I heard someone mention orange-glazed beets once upon a time. I've never tried them.

    Oh and I forgot one other class of "not-food" things:

    No Ruuuuuuuude-abagas
    No parsnips
    No jicama
    No turnips

    I'll eat carrots. Please don't boil them until they are transparent.

    So Flick, while I do not share your absolute aversion to beets, I can understand it completely.
    Kind of reminds me of a topic I started in another forum titled "Ugly Food" Mostly posted pictures but you'd be surprised at what some people will eat. But then again maybe you wouldn't.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Yeah, I suspect not. I've eaten a lot of stuff most people in my culture (the Western US Coast) would consider inedible, and enjoyed it. Of course, my grandparents (and my parents, before WWII and the really bad pollution) ate raw geoducks they'd taken from the shores of the Puget Sound, on the spot, with horseradish. My parents still have a clam gun in the garage.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    I'm not fond of eating anything you will find at the link below, cooked or otherwise.

    mollusk - Bing Images
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Yuck!! TURNIPS!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    Turnips? Grow them yourself and roast them when they're tiny gourmet size. Yum.
    Schneibster likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    738
    I never welcomed you. Welcome!!!
    Schneibster likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    Turnips? Grow them yourself and roast them when they're tiny gourmet size. Yum.
    Bad Robot and babe like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Safe ! by a mile. Welcome
    babe and Schneibster like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    So Flick, while I do not share your absolute aversion to beets, I can understand it completely.
    A part of me wants to try to make them sometime just to see if my aversion is entirely due to a bad childhood experience. Problem is, when the smell of beets hits my olfactory bulb, I turn violent.

    I love a parsnip puree with my steak, though. I make them with some roasted garlic, peppers, and a brown butter sauce.
    Schneibster likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    So Flick, while I do not share your absolute aversion to beets, I can understand it completely.
    A part of me wants to try to make them sometime just to see if my aversion is entirely due to a bad childhood experience. Problem is, when the smell of beets hits my olfactory bulb, I turn violent.

    I love a parsnip puree with my steak, though. I make them with some roasted garlic, peppers, and a brown butter sauce.
    Beets can be made worse by pickling them. I hate anything pickled, from my earliest memories.

    Schneibster likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    I've had two pickled things in my life. Cucumbers (I love polish dill) and eggs (I'd rather eat my own gentleman's vegetables).

    To me, feeding someone pickled beets sounds like a war crime.
    Bad Robot and Schneibster like this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    My reaction to the smell of parsnips is like yours to beets, Flick.

    I had a friend who claimed he was allergic to tomatoes. He wasn't really but he totally hated them, and got tired of arguing with people about it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    Oh and go Giants. That's the San Francisco baseball Giants. And go Niners. I am old skool faithful to both.
    Willie Mays. Some kinda' ballplayer. I used to fancy myself a sort of a white Willie Mays. Nobody else saw any similarity, I confess. But, he's who I tried to play like.
    Niners were just about to win that damn game. Congrats, Seattle.
    PumaMan likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    Beets can be made worse by pickling them.
    Obviously not Australian then. Even now a lot of Australians don't realise that there's any other way to have beetroot. And a slice of beetroot is compulsory in a well-made hamburger with the lot. Unfortunately, with the lot also means you'll get a slice of pineapple if you don't say no to it explicitly.

    As for pickles.

    One revelation in my life has been pickled fruit. I haven't made any for the last few years but pickled pears and pickled peaches (and grapes, and cherries) are fan.tas.tic. Pickled plums are pretty good, but I tend to make plum sauce (as well as jam) out of them rather than just pickled fruit.
    umbradiago likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    Beets can be made worse by pickling them.
    Obviously not Australian then. Even now a lot of Australians don't realise that there's any other way to have beetroot. And a slice of beetroot is compulsory in a well-made hamburger with the lot. Unfortunately, with the lot also means you'll get a slice of pineapple if you don't say no to it explicitly.

    As for pickles.

    One revelation in my life has been pickled fruit. I haven't made any for the last few years but pickled pears and pickled peaches (and grapes, and cherries) are fan.tas.tic. Pickled plums are pretty good, but I tend to make plum sauce (as well as jam) out of them rather than just pickled fruit.
    I can't eat a hamburger with pickles on it, so a pickled beet wouldn't be any more appetizing to me. Pineapple might be okay, at least I like it on my pizzas.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    It depends on whether it's a good hamburger or not. If it's a frozen cowchip, gimme special sauce and pickles. Got any ketchup?

    If it's real food, then no, no pickles. No beets. No pineapple either; I'll eat "Hawaiian pizza" if it's the only kind left and I'm real hungry. I'll eat pineapple, but not on a hamburger.

    Bun, sauce, meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, sauce, bun. If you want fancy put bacon on top of the cheese. Maybe mushrooms under the bacon. If your meat's not good enough you have to put more on it, feed it to the pigs.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    Da Schneib confesses to occasional indulgence in swiss and avocado on a burger. But only with mushrooms, never with bacon.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,055
    I'm a ribeye steak girl, rare.
    Grilled, no sauce, a bit of pepper and garlic, a touch of salt.
    Throw that beastie on a plate, slice a beefsteak tomato as a side and a glass of nice bold red wine and we're good.

    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Monterey
    Posts
    614
    I like a nice tall filet mignon just short of medium rare, and a baker with cream cheese and chives, a glass of medium cabernet or heavy merlot, and either steamed asparagus with mayonnaise or steamed yellow crookneck summer squash with cream, parmesan, and romano and fennel, basil, and herbes de provence.

    I get that a couple times a year.
    umbradiago likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneibster View Post
    I like a nice tall filet mignon just short of medium rare, and a baker with cream cheese and chives, a glass of medium cabernet or heavy merlot, and either steamed asparagus with mayonnaise or steamed yellow crookneck summer squash with cream, parmesan, and romano and fennel, basil, and herbes de provence.

    I get that a couple times a year.
    My pay grade permits either cut of beef (on occasion, lol) but I confess a preference for meat marbled with a bit of fat for grilling. Nice selection of sides above.
    babe, umbradiago and Schneibster like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    Bun, sauce, meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, sauce, bun. If you want fancy put bacon on top of the cheese. Maybe mushrooms under the bacon. If your meat's not good enough you have to put more on it, feed it to the pigs.
    Good heavens! I'm inclined to the view that cheese on a burger is a bit silly and unnecessary. But in Australia, my view is that a hamburger-with-the-lot is a hot serve of what used to be called a Dagwood sandwich. A huge stack of stuff very likely to fall over unless you keep a very firm grip on it.

    From memory, with the lot gives you bun, cheese, meat, tomato sauce, bacon, a fried egg, fried onion, slice of beetroot, chopped lettuce, mayo, slice of tomato, bun. If you have the pineapple, it'll probably be with the bacon. The biggest problem with eating these things was always how to stop the sauce, mayo, juices from running down your arm and dripping off your elbow. A nutritious fairly well balanced meal after a day's surfing and swimming a few decades ago - especially compared to the usual alternative of deep fried fish'n'chips.
    Schneibster likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    Bun, sauce, meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, sauce, bun. If you want fancy put bacon on top of the cheese. Maybe mushrooms under the bacon. If your meat's not good enough you have to put more on it, feed it to the pigs.
    Good heavens! I'm inclined to the view that cheese on a burger is a bit silly and unnecessary. But in Australia, my view is that a hamburger-with-the-lot is a hot serve of what used to be called a Dagwood sandwich. A huge stack of stuff very likely to fall over unless you keep a very firm grip on it.

    From memory, with the lot gives you bun, cheese, meat, tomato sauce, bacon, a fried egg, fried onion, slice of beetroot, chopped lettuce, mayo, slice of tomato, bun. If you have the pineapple, it'll probably be with the bacon. The biggest problem with eating these things was always how to stop the sauce, mayo, juices from running down your arm and dripping off your elbow. A nutritious fairly well balanced meal after a day's surfing and swimming a few decades ago - especially compared to the usual alternative of deep fried fish'n'chips.
    Dang!!

    How do you get your MOUTH on that?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    You sort of squish it quite hard with your hands - hence the sauce, mayo, etc leaking out the other side. The trick is to hold it so that half the contents don't slide out the other side as well.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  70. #69  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    You sort of squish it quite hard with your hands - hence the sauce, mayo, etc leaking out the other side. The trick is to hold it so that half the contents don't slide out the other side as well.
    I'd be WEARNG IT!!
    Schneibster likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •