Notices
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 150 of 150
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Are moderators in charge here?

  1. #101  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Do you direct this to the moderators here, or to me? Not that I agree with you if directed to the moderators.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #102  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    At you:

    It is characterized by at least three of the following:
    1. excessive sensitivity to setbacks and rebuffs;
    2. tendency to bear grudges persistently, i.e. refusal to forgive insults and injuries or slights;
    3. suspiciousness and a pervasive tendency to distort experience by misconstruing the neutral or friendly actions of others as hostile or contemptuous;
    4. a combative and tenacious sense of personal rights out of keeping with the actual situation;
    5. recurrent suspicions, without justification, regarding sexual fidelity of spouse or sexual partner;
    6. tendency to experience excessive self-importance, manifest in a persistent self-referential attitude;
    7. preoccupation with unsubstantiated "conspiratorial" explanations of events both immediate to the patient and in the world at large.
    What do you think Mr. Squirrel?



    "He's nuts!"
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #103  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post

    No I don not have a persecution complex and your accusation is just that and should not be used by a moderator or participant.
    Really. You come back after 18 months hiatus and the first thing you do is open a thread about how you are being persecuted by mods. Even the majority of mods. THIS thread and it is still ongoing. Here and in your other thread you can't stop complaining. IS it even possible for you to fathom the possibility that it is YOU who is in the wrong here?

    As you will have seen by now I have apologized for my error.
    That's good. Though, having provided a terrible example of this non-scientific behaviour by mods you claim to exist, you now still have the burden of proof to present or retract your wild accusation.

    However, I do not want 'everyone to come and praise you for how brilliant' I am, so your accusation is another example of accusation and moderator abuse. You also fail to bring hard evidence to your accusation that I 'fling stock standard crank accusation' yet I am expected to bring hard evidence for new ideas.
    I have told you IN YOUR THREAD how and why you are exhibiting crank behaviour. Your whole thread is the evidence. Are you now denying that I have done that?

    To recap with some extras:

    1) You present a random "idea" without any support whatsoever.
    2) You expect us to take it seriously and get offended when we don't.
    3) You repeatedly mention past heroes of science and how they were ridiculed, often falsely claiming that their work was done in a similar way to your and were also called pseudoscientists. This is bollocks.
    4) You exhibit a complete intransigence, despite being given concrete and referenced reasons why your idea is untenable.
    5) You continually exhibit an ignorance of the scientific method by thinking science advances by forwarding wild ideas without any support.
    6) Etc.

    If you can't tolerate these things pointed out to you then ban me. But now you might say, 'Oh, so you are asking to be banned?' No. But I know the routine.
    You have been here since 2011 and have been carrying on the same way for over 700 posts in a consistent way. Is that the routine you speak of? I would call that extraordinarily tolerant.

    If you are seriously tired of this please stop asking me questions that I feel obligated out of politeness to answer.
    I am part of this team that you love to denigrate continuously. I am not going to let you get away with levelling nonsense accusations without being able to back up your claims.
    700 posts? Wow. Your team really IS tolerant, but so have I been.

    I am NOT denigrating your team. I am calling for more open minded science. REAL science rather than close minded consensus. REAL science including that motivated by Einstein's methods of imagination which led to investigation which led to facts which led to errors which led to more investigations which led to more facts, more errors, more facts .. hoping to avoid the bottomless pit of Consensus which puts an end to imagination and investigation. Anyway .. I have no time left for this discussion today. Fare thee well.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #104  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    At you:

    It is characterized by at least three of the following:
    1. excessive sensitivity to setbacks and rebuffs;
    2. tendency to bear grudges persistently, i.e. refusal to forgive insults and injuries or slights;
    3. suspiciousness and a pervasive tendency to distort experience by misconstruing the neutral or friendly actions of others as hostile or contemptuous;
    4. a combative and tenacious sense of personal rights out of keeping with the actual situation;
    5. recurrent suspicions, without justification, regarding sexual fidelity of spouse or sexual partner;
    6. tendency to experience excessive self-importance, manifest in a persistent self-referential attitude;
    7. preoccupation with unsubstantiated "conspiratorial" explanations of events both immediate to the patient and in the world at large.
    What do you think Mr. Squirrel?



    "He's nuts!"
    Cute, although young people call me "crazy" in a most complimentary way.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #105  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    I don't have the time
    Yet you have time to come here and spend hours accusing us of abusing our moderator powers, and of being close-minded.
    Setting up a forum will take you perhaps an hour, not more. Attracting the right people to it...well, that's another matter altogether.

    energy
    See above.

    or money
    Basic hosting plan : $1.50 per month
    Domain name registration : $9.99 per year
    phpBB forum software : free from here
    A bit of cop-on : priceless

    If you are really serious about your claims with regards to non-moderated forums, I urge you to reconsider.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #106  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    I am NOT denigrating your team. I am calling for more open minded science. REAL science rather than close minded consensus. REAL science including that motivated by Einstein's methods of imagination which led to investigation which led to facts which led to errors which led to more investigations which led to more facts, more errors, more facts .. hoping to avoid the bottomless pit of Consensus which puts an end to imagination and investigation
    I highly recommend SciForums.com then. You will find minimal moderation there, and you will be free to spread your ideas to your heart's content...and you will be in good company, the likes of Motor Daddy, Sylvester Kornowski and Farsight, to be precise. I think you would fit in pretty well over there
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #107  
    Forum Masters Degree Tranquille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Solar System
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post

    You call it nonsense, John, because you are a moderator in a postion to be able to kick people off. If you didn't have that power you would be more polite and respectful, and might perhaps post scientific reasons why you don't agree with it. Power corrupts some people.
    You are rude, abusive, insulting, condescending and a right royal gormless twat, and yet, you are not a moderator and cannot kick people off.

    But you are still posting here.

    How and why, I do not know.

    Your gripe is that you cannot post your sceince in science forums. What happened, something of yours got deleted or your abhorrent behaviour saw you banned? Boo hoo. First world problems.

    Ibn my experiences moderators have overwhelmingly been the worst examples. Apod is a prime example.
    Since 'returning' to this site, you have done nothing but whine and bitch about the moderators who are not moderating you.

    You have posted nothing of note or substance. At this point in time, you are the worst example of a poster on a forum.

    A thicker skin is needed in moderated forums because the moderators themselves generally find it easy to abuse their power BECAUSE they have power over someone else's life
    Me thinks you spend too much on internet forums if you believe that moderators have power over your life.

    The only person who has power over your life is you. Unless of course you are still living in your mummy's basement, in which case, she will have power over your life.

    It's an internet forum. Forums are not your life.

    That you admitted you would call someone an idiot is an abuse of your power.

    I have no idea what you were like before you became a moderator, and I never said that you "became less polite after being granted moderator authority."
    Wait a second! Have you not read this thread? Everyone is calling you an idiot. It's not an abuse of power if it is stating a simple fact.

    You are an idiot!

    See, I'm not a moderator and I have no power on this forum. Stating fact..

    Why are you getting angry? I have never said anything evil about you or even accused you of anything, but I suppose you consider yourself one of a fraternity, the Brotherhood of Moderators, and what I say about some (actually most) moderators applies to you. However, you seem to have a good human heart, and that is to everyone's benefit. I consider these valuable discussions, and I am NOT trying to antagonize, but I DO have things that need saying.
    Then you clearly have not been reading your own words.




    A question for the moderators..

    Why is this buffoon still here? No one here is going to complain about your abusing your power if you remove it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #108  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    Why is this buffoon still here? No one here is going to complain about your abusing your power if you remove it.
    On the other hand, it is quite amusing to see him suffer the ignominy of being allowed to complain about how he is being oppressed...

    I assume he came here to get banned so he could go and boast about it somewhere else with the usual psychoceramicist claim of, "they banned me because they couldn't refute my theory of variable stars (and totally not because I am an obnoxious arse)."
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #109  
    Forum Masters Degree Tranquille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Solar System
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post

    I highly recommend SciForums.com then. You will find minimal moderation there, and you will be free to spread your ideas to your heart's content...and you will be in good company, the likes of Motor Daddy, Sylvester Kornowski and Farsight, to be precise. I think you would fit in pretty well over there
    Nah, they appear to let other people tear woo woo's to shreds there if you post woo in the science forums or try to get away with it, and then the moderators step in and ban the woo. One guy there kept getting banned for denying evolution.

    Send him to a My lil pony forum. I recently joined Sciforums out of curiousity. Don't send the nutbag there!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #110  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    Why is this buffoon still here? No one here is going to complain about your abusing your power if you remove it.
    On the other hand, it is quite amusing to see him suffer the ignominy of being allowed to complain about how he is being oppressed...

    I assume he came here to get banned so he could go and boast about it somewhere else with the usual psychoceramicist claim of, "they banned me because they couldn't refute my theory of variable stars (and totally not because I am an obnoxious arse)."
    I had an anthropologist friend who taught at Harvard. He didn't get tenure. When they told him, he said: "That's ok, now I can always say: 'I've been kicked out of better places than this'."
    KALSTER, Markus Hanke and babe like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #111  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,097
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    I've found that moderated forums become little dictatorships for moron moderators who dictate to others what they should and should nto think and cut them off if they don't do the Nazi march, so if this site is moderated it's probably not worth using. Perhaps this site is a rarity. Any opionions?
    One thing I have noticed on this and on other forums where I moderate is that some members are unable to distinguish between me as a member or as a moderator. I preface any moderator posting with the words Moderator Warning, or Moderator Comment. The words are emboldened and I use a coloured font.

    I will express my views to other members vigorously and robustly. When I see what I believe to be nonsense I shall rarely hesitate to call it such. I shall do this as a member. Members are free to challenge anything and everything I say, but they had better back it up with solid science, or reasoned argument.

    If some members choose to see all, or most of my posts, as being by a moderator, there is little I can do about that. It is not the case. I have, on occasions, reported my own posts for probably breaching forum guidelines. As Kalster said, we are not perfect, but we do strive to be.
    I do not speak to you as a moderator, but as a fellow person in the forum. Heck. I gave you a bad time as a new new newbie, and I didn't know you from your adam's apple!

    I may not always agree with you, but I respect you as a fellow forum person. Thanks for putting up with my humor.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #112  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    Nah, they appear to let other people tear woo woo's to shreds there if you post woo in the science forums or try to get away with it, and then the moderators step in and ban the woo. One guy there kept getting banned for denying evolution. Send him to a My lil pony forum. I recently joined Sciforums out of curiousity. Don't send the nutbag there!
    Really ? That would mean that things have changed there, because when I participated ( less than a year ago ) there was no evidence of moderation at all. The place was overrun by cranks and crackpots, and the mods and admins wouldn't even answer any PMs sent to them ( with the notable exception of AlphaNumeric, who did his best ). I simply stopped participating, because any bit of real science that I mentioned in response to someone's genuine questions was followed by a tirade of cranks chiming in about aether, vortices, and the general failure of the mainstream. It was just a waste of time for me, and not enjoyable since every post and thread descended into chaos and arguments. But if the culture there has changed, then good on them, and I retract my earlier comments.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #113  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    A question for the moderators..
    Why is this buffoon still here? No one here is going to complain about your abusing your power if you remove it.
    Simple, and Strange ( the smart guy that he is ) has pointed it out too - AinE doesn't listen to reasoning, so not having banned him thus far is the best way to demonstrate just how wrong he is in his claims. Rest assured though that this thread is being watched, so we won't allow it to get too far out of hand; after all it is not moderating properly which the real abuse of a moderator's power.
    Strange, seagypsy, babe and 1 others like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #114  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    Nah, they appear to let other people tear woo woo's to shreds there if you post woo in the science forums or try to get away with it, and then the moderators step in and ban the woo. One guy there kept getting banned for denying evolution. Send him to a My lil pony forum. I recently joined Sciforums out of curiousity. Don't send the nutbag there!
    Really ? That would mean that things have changed there, because when I participated ( less than a year ago ) there was no evidence of moderation at all. The place was overrun by cranks and crackpots, and the mods and admins wouldn't even answer any PMs sent to them ( with the notable exception of AlphaNumeric, who did his best ). I simply stopped participating, because any bit of real science that I mentioned in response to someone's genuine questions was followed by a tirade of cranks chiming in about aether, vortices, and the general failure of the mainstream. It was just a waste of time for me, and not enjoyable since every post and thread descended into chaos and arguments. But if the culture there has changed, then good on them, and I retract my earlier comments.
    That would be because a little over a year ago they did a housecleaning. Banned many of the best posters. Not that I was one of the best but I was banned on false charges and some prominent posters there protested. And those they didn't ban left of their own accord because with so many anti-woo posters gone they were over run with the cranks as you observed. Now the moderators there do very little because they have the cranks there that kiss their butts and stroke their egos. Sadly, sciforums lives up to AinE's summation of moderators quite well. Only that forum represents what happens when mods successfully weed out anyone who disagrees with them.
    Markus Hanke likes this.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #115  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    That would be because a little over a year ago they did a housecleaning. Banned many of the best posters. Not that I was one of the best but I was banned on false charges and some prominent posters there protested. And those they didn't ban left of their own accord because with so many anti-woo posters gone they were over run with the cranks as you observed. Now the moderators there do very little because they have the cranks there that kiss their butts and stroke their egos. Sadly, sciforums lives up to AinE's summation of moderators quite well. Only that forum represents what happens when mods successfully weed out anyone who disagrees with them.
    Thanks for this, it explains a lot. I never felt comfortable there anyway...just not my kind of culture.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #116  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcturnsngreeksymbols View Post
    Moderators are all typically stupid. This is bad for a science forum. Yes they ARE in charge.
    People who make sweeping generalizations usually make stupid remarks like the ones above.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #117  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    That would be because a little over a year ago they did a housecleaning. Banned many of the best posters. Not that I was one of the best but I was banned on false charges and some prominent posters there protested. And those they didn't ban left of their own accord because with so many anti-woo posters gone they were over run with the cranks as you observed. Now the moderators there do very little because they have the cranks there that kiss their butts and stroke their egos. Sadly, sciforums lives up to AinE's summation of moderators quite well. Only that forum represents what happens when mods successfully weed out anyone who disagrees with them.
    Thanks for this, it explains a lot. I never felt comfortable there anyway...just not my kind of culture.
    It's pretty much run by 3 mods who intimidate the others. The top three mods basically act like pmsing teen girls and get really nasty when someone disagrees with their point of view. It's more of a politic and popularity forum than a science forum now. All the good people migrated here.
    Markus Hanke likes this.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #118  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcturnsngreeksymbols View Post
    Moderators are all typically stupid. This is bad for a science forum. Yes they ARE in charge.
    People who make sweeping generalizations usually make stupid remarks like the ones above.
    Yeah. I used the spam-o-matic button on that character, which bans him and wipes out all his posts.
    seagypsy likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #119  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    All the good people migrated here.
    Which is good
    seagypsy likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #120  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    All the good people migrated here.
    Which is good
    I didn't migrate from another place like this....I just searched for something I might find interesting.....uh oh...should I bend over...and get the "kick"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #121  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    .....uh oh...should I bend over...and get the "kick"
    Only if you enjoy that sort of activity
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #122  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    This thread needs a good "kittening"

    What do you think Broadway kitteh?

    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #123  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    That you admitted you would call someone an idiot is an abuse of your power.

    I have no idea what you were like before you became a moderator, and I never said that you "became less polite after being granted moderator authority."
    This is bollocks.

    As to your first point calling someone an idiot is, if anything, an abuse of my privileges as a member, not of my power as a moderator. Hence I reserve that action for the most extreme circumstances and stand quite prepared to called on it, to be banned, to lose my moderator status, to be permanently removed from the forum. If I feel an individual roundly deserves to be called an idiot I am quite prepared to do so and accept the consequences.

    Your second point is simply one of three things: 1) poor memory of what you wrote; b) an inability to write what you mean; c) a lie.
    Previously you said this "If you didn't have that power you would be more polite and respectful, and might perhaps post scientific reasons why you don't agree with it. Power corrupts some people." I didn't have the power before I became a moderator, therefore, in your words I would have been more polite and respectful. Therefore you did make the claim, so either retract it or demonstrate the truth of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #124  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    REAL science rather than close minded consensus. REAL science including that motivated by Einstein's methods of imagination which led to investigation which led to facts which led to errors which led to more investigations which led to more facts, more errors, more facts
    I don't have information to support it.
    Yeah...REAL science. Go figure.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #125  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    Nah, they appear to let other people tear woo woo's to shreds there if you post woo in the science forums or try to get away with it, and then the moderators step in and ban the woo. One guy there kept getting banned for denying evolution.
    Well, at least he proved he couldn't evolve.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #126  
    Forum Masters Degree Tranquille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Solar System
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Well, at least he proved he couldn't evolve.
    Bazinga!

    I love evolution deniers. They're so cute in their stupidity.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #127  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    I am NOT denigrating your team. I am calling for more open minded science. REAL science rather than close minded consensus. REAL science including that motivated by Einstein's methods of imagination which led to investigation which led to facts which led to errors which led to more investigations which led to more facts, more errors, more facts .. hoping to avoid the bottomless pit of Consensus which puts an end to imagination and investigation
    I highly recommend SciForums.com then. You will find minimal moderation there, and you will be free to spread your ideas to your heart's content...and you will be in good company, the likes of Motor Daddy, Sylvester Kornowski and Farsight, to be precise. I think you would fit in pretty well over there
    This is he greatest science forum: yourewinner.com - Login
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #128  
    Forum Masters Degree Tranquille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Solar System
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer w/Straw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    I am NOT denigrating your team. I am calling for more open minded science. REAL science rather than close minded consensus. REAL science including that motivated by Einstein's methods of imagination which led to investigation which led to facts which led to errors which led to more investigations which led to more facts, more errors, more facts .. hoping to avoid the bottomless pit of Consensus which puts an end to imagination and investigation
    I highly recommend SciForums.com then. You will find minimal moderation there, and you will be free to spread your ideas to your heart's content...and you will be in good company, the likes of Motor Daddy, Sylvester Kornowski and Farsight, to be precise. I think you would fit in pretty well over there
    This is he greatest science forum: yourewinner.com - Login
    Wow. I went blind from the purple and yellow and now I want those 5 seconds of my life back!
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #129  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    I don't have the time
    Yet you have time to come here and spend hours accusing us of abusing our moderator powers, and of being close-minded.
    Setting up a forum will take you perhaps an hour, not more. Attracting the right people to it...well, that's another matter altogether.

    energy
    See above.

    or money
    Basic hosting plan : $1.50 per month
    Domain name registration : $9.99 per year
    phpBB forum software : free from here
    A bit of cop-on : priceless

    If you are really serious about your claims with regards to non-moderated forums, I urge you to reconsider.

    You have a misconception, Markus. My claim is that 'generally' internet forum moderators abuse their power although I believe I rightly expanded that to say 'almost always in my exdperience.' I made no accusation against anyone here until I began to see example such as insulting words which would not generally be used in a face to face conversation, and then it was not an accusation saying "You are an abuser of your power" it was a statement that you are in this case abusing your power. I think one of the problems in interenet discussion in general is that many people do not read every word the other intends for them, they merely scan and make general judgements about what is being said.

    Regarding your suggestion for me to set up a forum: Your idea has merit, but for me to send money for anything over the internet is not possible because I use public, unsecured connections always.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #130  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer w/Straw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    I am NOT denigrating your team. I am calling for more open minded science. REAL science rather than close minded consensus. REAL science including that motivated by Einstein's methods of imagination which led to investigation which led to facts which led to errors which led to more investigations which led to more facts, more errors, more facts .. hoping to avoid the bottomless pit of Consensus which puts an end to imagination and investigation
    I highly recommend SciForums.com then. You will find minimal moderation there, and you will be free to spread your ideas to your heart's content...and you will be in good company, the likes of Motor Daddy, Sylvester Kornowski and Farsight, to be precise. I think you would fit in pretty well over there
    This is he greatest science forum: yourewinner.com - Login
    Wow. I went blind from the purple and yellow and now I want those 5 seconds of my life back!
    I fail to see the scientific value of musclemen in brief clothing, and those photos automatically prevented any thought of my involvement with 'yourewinner.com.' Now, the latest photo of Lady Gaga dressed in vegetation might tempt my involvement.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #131  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer w/Straw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    I am NOT denigrating your team. I am calling for more open minded science. REAL science rather than close minded consensus. REAL science including that motivated by Einstein's methods of imagination which led to investigation which led to facts which led to errors which led to more investigations which led to more facts, more errors, more facts .. hoping to avoid the bottomless pit of Consensus which puts an end to imagination and investigation
    I highly recommend SciForums.com then. You will find minimal moderation there, and you will be free to spread your ideas to your heart's content...and you will be in good company, the likes of Motor Daddy, Sylvester Kornowski and Farsight, to be precise. I think you would fit in pretty well over there
    This is he greatest science forum: yourewinner.com - Login
    I immediately saw why you, Beer, would want to participate.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #132  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    Nah, they appear to let other people tear woo woo's to shreds there if you post woo in the science forums or try to get away with it, and then the moderators step in and ban the woo. One guy there kept getting banned for denying evolution.
    Well, at least he proved he couldn't evolve.
    Actually it proved the moderato with the ban button had not evolved.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #133  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    REAL science rather than close minded consensus. REAL science including that motivated by Einstein's methods of imagination which led to investigation which led to facts which led to errors which led to more investigations which led to more facts, more errors, more facts
    I don't have information to support it.
    Yeah...REAL science. Go figure.
    Exactly. Real science keeps searching. Real science denies such a thing as Pseudoscience exists except in the definition of 'not being accepted by others.'
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #134  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    'almost always in my exdperience.'
    Have you ever considered it's you and not the mods?

    "Almost always in my experience, I have found that people who frequent bars like to beat the shit out of people...it happens nearly everytime I go to one. I walk in, walk up the biggest guy in the bar, spit in his drink, fondle his girlfriend's titties in front of him...then stand on the table and proclaim that everyone's favorite local sports team is "a bunch of prissy faggots!" ...and they beat the shit out of me....see....it proves it!"
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #135  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post

    You call it nonsense, John, because you are a moderator in a postion to be able to kick people off. If you didn't have that power you would be more polite and respectful, and might perhaps post scientific reasons why you don't agree with it. Power corrupts some people.
    You are rude, abusive, insulting, condescending and a right royal gormless twat, and yet, you are not a moderator and cannot kick people off.

    But you are still posting here.

    How and why, I do not know.

    Your gripe is that you cannot post your sceince in science forums. What happened, something of yours got deleted or your abhorrent behaviour saw you banned? Boo hoo. First world problems.

    Ibn my experiences moderators have overwhelmingly been the worst examples. Apod is a prime example.
    Since 'returning' to this site, you have done nothing but whine and bitch about the moderators who are not moderating you.

    You have posted nothing of note or substance. At this point in time, you are the worst example of a poster on a forum.

    A thicker skin is needed in moderated forums because the moderators themselves generally find it easy to abuse their power BECAUSE they have power over someone else's life
    Me thinks you spend too much on internet forums if you believe that moderators have power over your life.

    The only person who has power over your life is you. Unless of course you are still living in your mummy's basement, in which case, she will have power over your life.

    It's an internet forum. Forums are not your life.

    That you admitted you would call someone an idiot is an abuse of your power.

    I have no idea what you were like before you became a moderator, and I never said that you "became less polite after being granted moderator authority."
    Wait a second! Have you not read this thread? Everyone is calling you an idiot. It's not an abuse of power if it is stating a simple fact.

    You are an idiot!

    See, I'm not a moderator and I have no power on this forum. Stating fact..

    Why are you getting angry? I have never said anything evil about you or even accused you of anything, but I suppose you consider yourself one of a fraternity, the Brotherhood of Moderators, and what I say about some (actually most) moderators applies to you. However, you seem to have a good human heart, and that is to everyone's benefit. I consider these valuable discussions, and I am NOT trying to antagonize, but I DO have things that need saying.
    Then you clearly have not been reading your own words.




    A question for the moderators..

    Why is this buffoon still here? No one here is going to complain about your abusing your power if you remove it.
    Junior, you ought to respect your elders.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #136  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    'almost always in my exdperience.'
    Have you ever considered it's you and not the mods?

    "Almost always in my experience, I have found that people who frequent bars like to beat the shit out of people...it happens nearly everytime I go to one. I walk in, walk up the biggest guy in the bar, spit in his drink, fondle his girlfriend's titties in front of him...then stand on the table and proclaim that everyone's favorite local sports team is "a bunch of prissy faggots!" ...and they beat the shit out of me....see....it proves it!"
    No MacGayver I have never considered that it might be me .. because I know myself and I know what happens. And I quit going to bars because I got tired of throwing everyone out including the bartender and drinking all the alcohol. It got boring.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #137  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,411
    Aristarchus in Exile, please note I say this with the best of intention. Whilst clearly you are enjoying the current attention you are recieving it is likely to come to a rapid end if you continue in this meaningless manner. The attention you are recieving is not of a possitive nature, this is because you have set the tone and instigating recieving such negative attention. Eventually people will begin to feel they are wasting their time engaging in such a negative way because you don't seem to be learning from the experience, after this your exit will likely as not be swiftly experdited leaving you with an empty feeling an none the wiser.

    However may I suggest an alternative to your current behaviour, that of trying to engage with people in either a serious way in which anybody responding to you can actually benefit and that you also can learn something, failing this just a possitive approach even, just something to show that you are listening and are going to make an effort to put forth a possitive contribution. This at least will give fellow members some faith that there is actually some chance of you developing and improving, that indeed their efforts will not be wasted upon you.

    Also you will begin to learn that it is far more enjoyable engaging others in a possitive way as you'll feel that rewarding sense of giving something back and that people want to listen to what you say because they like and respect you, rather than merely responding from indignation.
    You have the power to choose how you wish others to respond to you, so why not choose the possitive option?
    KALSTER and John Galt like this.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #138  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    Real science denies such a thing as Pseudoscience exists except in the definition of 'not being accepted by others.'
    Pseudoscience is not just "stuff that is not accepted by others". It is corruption of the scientific method; for example, promoting an idea with no support. (Sound familiar?)
    stonecutter likes this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #139  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    the history of science is full of new ideas being considered lunatic and then those ideas overturning consensus.
    You keep saying this as if it supported your case. It doesn't.

    The ideas that overturned consensus were supported by evidence. Yours isn't.
    I didn't realize I was trying to overthrow consensus. I merely asked a question.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #140  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    I didn't realize I was trying to overthrow consensus.
    Who knows. You are the one going on about people with new ideas being persecuted (despite the lack of evidence for that claim).

    I merely asked a question.
    And then rejected the answers on the basis that "it might be true even though there is no evidence for it and lots against". In other words, it's pseudoscience.
    KALSTER, adelady, babe and 1 others like this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #141  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile
    Exactly. Real science keeps searching. Real science denies such a thing as Pseudoscience exists except in the definition of 'not being accepted by others.'
    The implication of the above statement is that there is not an objective reality. Is this the view that you are promulgating?
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #142  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer w/Straw View Post

    This is he greatest science forum: yourewinner.com - Login

    I fail to see the scientific value of musclemen in brief clothing, and those photos automatically prevented any thought of my involvement with 'yourewinner.com.' Now, the latest photo of Lady Gaga dressed in vegetation might tempt my involvement.
    Of course it's scientific! I showed how Pro Wrestlers practicing hypnosis learned there moves from Britney Spears.

    http://www.yourewinner.com/index.php?topic=14912.0
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #143  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    LOL!!!! There is nothing MORE scientific than low-budget pro wrestling hypnosis. I tell you what.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #144  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Aristarchus in Exile, please note I say this with the best of intention. Whilst clearly you are enjoying the current attention you are recieving it is likely to come to a rapid end if you continue in this meaningless manner. The attention you are recieving is not of a possitive nature, this is because you have set the tone and instigating recieving such negative attention. Eventually people will begin to feel they are wasting their time engaging in such a negative way because you don't seem to be learning from the experience, after this your exit will likely as not be swiftly experdited leaving you with an empty feeling an none the wiser.

    However may I suggest an alternative to your current behaviour, that of trying to engage with people in either a serious way in which anybody responding to you can actually benefit and that you also can learn something, failing this just a possitive approach even, just something to show that you are listening and are going to make an effort to put forth a possitive contribution. This at least will give fellow members some faith that there is actually some chance of you developing and improving, that indeed their efforts will not be wasted upon you.

    Also you will begin to learn that it is far more enjoyable engaging others in a possitive way as you'll feel that rewarding sense of giving something back and that people want to listen to what you say because they like and respect you, rather than merely responding from indignation.
    You have the power to choose how you wish others to respond to you, so why not choose the possitive option?
    I tried to post this before but I can't find it now. Your perceptions are inaccurate, but your suggestion is goo. I am not enjoying the attention. I am not seeking attention. I think I have contributed enough to this thread so will discontinue contributing to it. We will probably repeat the arguments in other threads if we give in to temptation though.
    Search engines are such useful tools .. I wonder why more people don't use them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #145  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    Junior, you ought to respect your elders.
    Only if the elders deserve respect, sonny.
    Strange and stonecutter like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #146  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    .....uh oh...should I bend over...and get the "kick"
    Only if you enjoy that sort of activity
    ain't telling!! *chuckle*
    Markus Hanke likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #147  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,097
    OK...everyone sit in a circle, hold hands and say OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM Not a gonna do this no more! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM MMM Not a gonna do this no more...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #148  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarchus in Exile View Post
    You have a misconception, Markus.
    AinE, this is exactly the heart of the issue - I, and everyone else here, responded in kind to what you were posting. To me it seemed and felt precisely as if you were accusing the entire moderator team both here an on all other science forums of being power-hungry, despotic dictators who spend their days abusing their powers and banning people. If this was not what you were trying to say to us, then you screwed up really bad in the way you formulated your posts, because that is how it came across to me, and, by the looks of it, to everyone else here as well. You even said that you stopped posting here for 18 months because you were unsatisfied with the fact that the forum is a moderated one; how else are we to understand that ? It is your responsibility to express clearly what you mean to express, not ours to try and decipher your true intentions between the lines. Don't push the buck and try and blame us for your failure to communicate clearly. Misconception indeed !

    Did you notice that no one here agrees with your claims and assertions, regardless of whether they are moderators or not ? That ought to give you a hint that your sentiments aren't shared within this forum community, or that you didn't express clearly enough what it is you truly wanted to say. Perhaps - and of course you can't know that - I should make you aware also that several of your posts have been reported using the appropriate function by various members of this forum. As things stand you have peed off and antagonized pretty much everyone who cared to participate in these dicussions with you, and personally I must say I am quite offended by your assertion that I somehow abuse my powers simply by being a moderator. This forum means a lot to me, so it is neither in my interest nor my nature to abuse the powers I have been given.

    I have taken the liberty to go back in time and look at some of the other 700 posts you made in the past, and I am sorry to say that a similar pattern is to be found there as well. Do you want antagonism to be the defining feature of your presence in this community ? If so you have thoroughly succeeded, if not then I can only politely suggest that you need to reconsider your approach and style.

    Junior, you ought to respect your elders.
    In this community respect ( and forum powers ! ) is earned through the contributions you make, not given according to your age. Which is, of course, precisely how it should be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #149  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    OK...everyone sit in a circle, hold hands and say OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM Not a gonna do this no more! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM MMM Not a gonna do this no more...
    I suspect chanting and meditation are abominations.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #150  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,097
    Quote Originally Posted by kalster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    ok...everyone sit in a circle, hold hands and say ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmm not a gonna do this no more! Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomm mmm not a gonna do this no more...
    i suspect chanting and meditation are abominations.
    humor me!! *l*
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. So where are the moderators?
    By Guitarist in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: November 7th, 2013, 02:19 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 8th, 2012, 01:36 AM
  3. charge-charge attraction
    By AlexP in forum Physics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: January 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •