Notices
Results 1 to 35 of 35
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By scheherazade
  • 2 Post By Ascended
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 3 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By MacGyver1968
  • 1 Post By KALSTER

Thread: about deric

  1. #1 about deric 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    I'm happy to be a part of this group. I've always been a little on the nerdy side. I like all areas of science. Especailly cosmology, biology and botany, psychology, physics, math and language science. I have a double BA in psych and human services. I'm a serious guitarist and jazz rock piano player. I recently built an insect condo. ranch, whathaveyou-google it-in the backyard zen garden. I'm obsessed right now with the band we are putting together and my sound/recording studio here at home. I found this forum after hearing the CBS evening new talk about pilots suffering retina damage from $2.98 lazer pointers. I'll post my comment. I know we need to have the news but I don't have much good to say about reporters.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Hello deric, and welcome to the forum. There are plenty of interesting people on this forum and I do not doubt that you will find many topics of interest. I'm looking forward to your posts but have to dash for a bit because I work graveyard shift, hence I keep odd hours and tend not to engage in debates, more of a 'drive by' poster although I am capable of following a dialogue.

    Have fun here!


    deric likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,420
    Hey there, cracking introduction. You will probarbly find a few people here with more than a passing interest for playing the guitar and I have no idea what an insect condo is but it sounds cool. Caught your news post about the lazer pointers, seems amazing they can get as far as planes and for less than $3!
    You seem to have a wide range of interests and in psychology as well, seems like you'll certainly fit in well, so welcome aboard.
    Neverfly and deric like this.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    Insect condo?

    Any one of these would do me. It's on the list. Insect Hotels
    deric likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Welcome!! I am a lousy guitar, ukulele and piano player but I can sing, big time and I love doing theatre!
    deric likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Welcome!! I am a lousy guitar, ukulele and piano player but I can sing, big time and I love doing theatre!
    We should get together!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    Insect condo?

    Any one of these would do me. It's on the list. Insect Hotels
    Wow! Those are just awsome! Mine's a work in progress.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Welcome!! I am a lousy guitar, ukulele and piano player but I can sing, big time and I love doing theatre!
    "Many words are written down the pages of time. Words of wisdom rhythm and rhyme. He saves em all up he writes em all down. You know when the skys go dark they're good to have around. His words come so easy. He talks to everyone but when she comes close all his words are gone. How can he tell her, find the words to say..." Put in a melody and or more words and get back to me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hey there, cracking introduction. You will probarbly find a few people here with more than a passing interest for playing the guitar and I have no idea what an insect condo is but it sounds cool. Caught your news post about the lazer pointers, seems amazing they can get as far as planes and for less than $3!
    You seem to have a wide range of interests and in psychology as well, seems like you'll certainly fit in well, so welcome aboard.
    Thanks and that was my point that one of those little cheap things probably aren't even visible from an aircraft. You can buy a lazer that will blind a pilot but for a couple hundred dollars and you can't get them at the corner store.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Welcome!! I am a lousy guitar, ukulele and piano player but I can sing, big time and I love doing theatre!
    We should get together!
    I sing Broadway!! Light Opera stuff.....folk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Welcome!! I am a lousy guitar, ukulele and piano player but I can sing, big time and I love doing theatre!
    "Many words are written down the pages of time. Words of wisdom rhythm and rhyme. He saves em all up he writes em all down. You know when the skys go dark they're good to have around. His words come so easy. He talks to everyone but when she comes close all his words are gone. How can he tell her, find the words to say..." Put in a melody and or more words and get back to me.
    the sun rises each time when you enter my day.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Deric, I used to write a lot of poetry, many years ago....won an award for one. Long time since I have done any of that!
    deric likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    Insect condo?

    Any one of these would do me. It's on the list. Insect Hotels
    Jeez and here I am over here making plans on building bat houses...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    [QUOTE=babe;474333]
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Welcome!! We should get together!
    I sing Broadway!! Light Opera stuff.....folk
    Great lets try to blend some overdriven guitar work with your Broadway (which I love too) or opera (don't know a lot of that), or folk. Can you suggest a song or two? I'll think on it as well.
    Last edited by deric; October 20th, 2013 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    from deric [QUOTEGreat lets try to blend some overdriven guitar work with your Broadway (which I love too) or opera (don't know a lot of that), or folk. Can you suggest a song or two? I'll think on it as well. ][/QUOTE]



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYmjDSpGmtE

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSZxmZmBfnU
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    oops derik....."Gimme Gimme* from "Thoroughly Modern Milly" and "Over the Rainbow" Judy Garland.
    deric likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    Who do you rate as the best singers ever? For me it's Judy, Karen Carpenter, Barbra, Elvis, Jim Morrison. I like to think Judy probably never had a lesson never needed it. She's just perfect naturally. And the angelic Karen C. , words can't express. Another great one is Eric Clapton. It seems he just learned to use his voice as it isn't naturally melodic like these others. Eric Clapton - Somewhere Over The Rainbow HD - YouTube Amy Winehouse - Lullaby Of Birdland(Live) - YouTube What do you think of this? What a great song.

    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    from deric [QUOTEGreat lets try to blend some overdriven guitar work with your Broadway (which I love too) or opera (don't know a lot of that), or folk. Can you suggest a song or two? I'll think on it as well. ]


    Thoroughly Modern Millie "Gimme Gimme" Sutton Foster - YouTube

    Somewhere Over the Rainbow - The Wizard of Oz (1/8) Movie CLIP (1939) HD - YouTube[/QUOTE]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    Who do you rate as the best singers ever? For me it's Judy, Karen Carpenter, Barbra, Elvis, Jim Morrison. I like to think Judy probably never had a lesson never needed it. She's just perfect naturally. And the angelic Karen C. , words can't express. Another great one is Eric Clapton. It seems he just learned to use his voice as it isn't naturally melodic like these others. Eric Clapton - Somewhere Over The Rainbow HD - YouTube Amy Winehouse - Lullaby Of Birdland(Live) - YouTube What do you think of this? What a great song.

    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    from deric [QUOTEGreat lets try to blend some overdriven guitar work with your Broadway (which I love too) or opera (don't know a lot of that), or folk. Can you suggest a song or two? I'll think on it as well. ]


    Thoroughly Modern Millie "Gimme Gimme" Sutton Foster - YouTube

    Somewhere Over the Rainbow - The Wizard of Oz (1/8) Movie CLIP (1939) HD - YouTube
    [/QUOTE] Not a fan of Garland....loved her young work...can't stand Liza's voice. Barbra, Julie Andrews, Marilyn Kahn, Bernadette Peters, Jeanette McDonald, Nelson Eddy, Gordon McCrae, Franco Harris, Andy Williams, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Crosby Stills Nash but not Young (who lives two miles down the road when he's here)....there are a bunch of others. Karen was good...not exceptional...everyone in the 5th dimension....Peter, Paul and Mary....Simon and Garfunkel...*L*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    and I LOVE JOE COCKER'S Gravely voice.....Linda Ronstadt is another....Emmylou Harris.....dang don't get me start.....and hell I'm damn good too!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Grown men breakdown in tears when they hear me sing.
    KALSTER, Flick Montana and babe like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Grown men breakdown in tears when they hear me sing.
    Mr. John Galt .....ahahahahhaahahha that was funny!

    For the forum's information about 3 weeks after joining this forum, I was in a bathroom in CLOVERDALE, California on our way back home to Bayside....and ...I close the door and on the back of my stall wall, was "John Galt was here".

    Well, moi, with my sense of humor, shared that in a PM with him, asking him if he had been there recently.....I do NOT think he found the humor in my comment, though it was in jest. He has been remarkedly amicable to not hold this against me!

    Mahalo Sir John!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    and I LOVE JOE COCKER'S Gravely voice.....Linda Ronstadt is another....Emmylou Harris.....dang don't get me start.....and hell I'm damn good too!
    Speaking of gravely you didn't mention Dylan or Willy Nelson??
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    For the forum's information about 3 weeks after joining this forum, I was in a bathroom in CLOVERDALE, California on our way back home to Bayside....and ...I close the door and on the back of my stall wall, was "John Galt was here".

    Well, moi, with my sense of humor, shared that in a PM with him, asking him if he had been there recently.....I do NOT think he found the humor in my comment, though it was in jest. He has been remarkedly amicable to not hold this against me!
    I would never hold a toilet door against you. It is ungentlemanly.
    Last edited by John Galt; October 24th, 2013 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Correct quote tags
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Grown men breakdown in tears when they hear me sing.
    ...and dogs howl and babies cry...
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Grown men breakdown in tears when they hear me sing.
    ...and dogs howl and babies cry...
    and Cthulhu says..."That my cue!"
    Flick Montana likes this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Grown men breakdown in tears when they hear me sing.
    ...and dogs howl and babies cry...
    and Cthulhu says..."That my cue!"
    Are you suggesting that the arrival of Cthulu means "it's over" and that JG is, in fact, a fat lady?!

    How rude.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    [QUOTE=deric;476001]
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    and I LOVE JOE COCKER'S Gravely voice.....Linda Ronstadt is another....Emmylou Harris.....dang don't get me start.....and hell I'm damn good too!
    Do we try something new, or stick to the tried-and-true? Do we take a risk, or eat what's already on our
    dish? Do we ponder a thrilling adventure, or contemplate what's on TV? Do we walk over and
    meet that interesting stranger, or do we play it safe? Do we indulge our heart, or cater to our
    fear?
    The bottom-line question: Do we pursue what we want, or do we do what's comfortable?
    For the most part, most people most often choose comfort--the familiar, the time-honored, the
    well-worn but well-known. After a lifetime of choosing between comfort and risk, we are left
    with the life we
    currently have. And it was all of our own choosing.
    The Comfort Zone
    The only thing I can't stand is discomfort.
    GLORIA STEINEM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    and I LOVE JOE COCKER'S Gravely voice.....Linda Ronstadt is another....Emmylou Harris.....dang don't get me start.....and hell I'm damn good too!
    Speaking of gravely you didn't mention Dylan or Willy Nelson??
    To me they don't have gravely voices....Barry McGuire does.....Dylan mostly moans his songs and Nelson...country croons them!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    For the forum's information about 3 weeks after joining this forum, I was in a bathroom in CLOVERDALE, California on our way back home to Bayside....and ...I close the door and on the back of my stall wall, was "John Galt was here".

    Well, moi, with my sense of humor, shared that in a PM with him, asking him if he had been there recently.....I do NOT think he found the humor in my comment, though it was in jest. He has been remarkedly amicable to not hold this against me!
    I would never hold a toilet door against you. It is ungentlemanly.
    You, Sir John Galt, are a gentleman. Many Mahalo's!
    Last edited by John Galt; October 24th, 2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Correct quote tags
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Beverly Sills was pretty good.....*chuckle* and so was Kate Smith!! That lady was a belter of music!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    39
    [QUOTE=babe;476277][QUOTE=deric;476001]
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    and I LOVE JOE COCKER'S Gravely voice.....Linda Ronstadt is another....Emmylou Harris.....dang don't get me start.....and hell I'm damn good too!
    Speaking of gravely

    I like Keith Richards voice. Unique
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    [QUOTE=deric;476471][QUOTE=babe;476277]
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    and I LOVE JOE COCKER'S Gravely voice.....Linda Ronstadt is another....Emmylou Harris.....dang don't get me start.....and hell I'm damn good too!
    Speaking of gravely

    I like Keith Richards voice. Unique
    Not a Stone's fan... I like Barry Manilow's voice! *L*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,245
    I'm a bit of a closet singer (not in the same way some people at Idol try-outs think they can sing). Can also sing in a few styles, including Opera styles (as long as I don't have to go too high). Few have heard me sing properly before. A friend's mother said I have a "fantastic voice" when I recorded some Radiohead karaoke. Wouldn't go that far though.
    babe likes this.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    I'm a bit of a closet singer (not in the same way some people at Idol try-outs think they can sing). Can also sing in a few styles, including Opera styles (as long as I don't have to go too high). Few have heard me sing properly before. A friend's mother said I have a "fantastic voice" when I recorded some Radiohead karaoke. Wouldn't go that far though.
    Sing for me!! *S* I have taught vocals...and arranged music...and well.....toured, recorded...etc etc etc!! I'd love to hear your voice! You can hear mine on my web page....but there is a variety....some operatic...some not in my best range....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,159
    Oh and Kalster...I loved the "Closet Singer"......
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •