Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By Olinguito
  • 1 Post By Fra

Thread: I introduce myself

  1. #1 I introduce myself 
    Fra
    Fra is offline
    Forum Freshman Fra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    14
    Hello to all
    My name is Francesca, I am a doctor of science and technology for the environment, I'm completing my education with a specialization in environmental certification and impact assessment. I'm also considering to take a course as HSE manager.
    The forum asked me to introduce myself, and so I did ...




    "The real voyage of discovery consists not
    in seeking new landscapes,
    but in seeing with new eyes "
    (M. Proust)


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will find many opportunities to contribute from your area of expertise as global warming is a topic often brought up on this site.


    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Fra
    Fra is offline
    Forum Freshman Fra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    14
    Thanks seagypsy
    I'll be happy to compare myself with other colleagues or with people who care about our world
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Fra View Post
    Thanks seagypsy
    I'll be happy to compare myself with other colleagues or with people who care about our world
    It would appear you are in Europe, Italy specifically? I should like to call attention to a fact which I observed many years ago, when I took a trip from America to Europe with my new wife, who had been born in Germany.

    It was 1972, May specifically. We arrived in Munich, then drove throughout Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and a part of France. I vividly recall environmental conditions which appalled me. Driving along the Rhine River, mile after mile of majestic shoreline dotted with amazing hillside castles, the waters appeared to have the "quality" equivalent to those of the Chicago River, the area I grew up in. 4 million toilets flush directly into the Chicago River.

    The Black Forest. I had heard of it's mystic essence all my life. Driving through the area, I was sorely disappointed, as one could see essentially nothing, so poor was the air quality.

    We wanted to see the beaches of Italy, visited briefly in Venice, where great numbers of rats were lying dead on the shore, having been washed up there. One could swim there, as the area was designated as a beach.

    Have such things improved environmentally in Europe, over ensuing years? jocular
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Fra
    Fra is offline
    Forum Freshman Fra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by jocular View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fra View Post
    Thanks seagypsy
    I'll be happy to compare myself with other colleagues or with people who care about our world
    It would appear you are in Europe, Italy specifically? I should like to call attention to a fact which I observed many years ago, when I took a trip from America to Europe with my new wife, who had been born in Germany.

    It was 1972, May specifically. We arrived in Munich, then drove throughout Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and a part of France. I vividly recall environmental conditions which appalled me. Driving along the Rhine River, mile after mile of majestic shoreline dotted with amazing hillside castles, the waters appeared to have the "quality" equivalent to those of the Chicago River, the area I grew up in. 4 million toilets flush directly into the Chicago River.

    The Black Forest. I had heard of it's mystic essence all my life. Driving through the area, I was sorely disappointed, as one could see essentially nothing, so poor was the air quality.

    We wanted to see the beaches of Italy, visited briefly in Venice, where great numbers of rats were lying dead on the shore, having been washed up there. One could swim there, as the area was designated as a beach.

    Have such things improved environmentally in Europe, over ensuing years? jocular

    actually is not a lookout ...
    However, there are places that are still beautiful and almost natural.


    In 1972, it definitely was not given much importance to the environment and maybe not even to the health. Finding dead mice out and about maybe it will have been a high chance of those years, now it is unthinkable.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Hello and welcome to the Science Forum!
    Considering your academic knowledge, I am looking forward to your contributions.


    PS: You have a beautiful name.
    Fra likes this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Fra
    Fra is offline
    Forum Freshman Fra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Hello and welcome to the Science Forum!
    Considering your academic knowledge, I am looking forward to your contributions.


    PS: You have a beautiful name.
    thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Fra
    Fra is offline
    Forum Freshman Fra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jocular View Post
    4 million toilets flush directly into the Chicago River.
    Reminds me of this story I heard at College:

    Lavatory paper was not invented until 1857 – by the New Yorker Joseph C. Gayetty, whose “Therapeutic Paper” was marketed as being “a perfectly pure article for the toilet and for the prevention of piles.” At the time of Victoria's visit to Trinity, students would tend to use pages torn from books and the primitive plumbing in the colleges meant that the paper (and everything else) ended up in the River Cam.
    There is a tale of Queen Victoria being shown over Trinity by the Master, Dr. Whewell, and saying, as she looked down over the bridge: “What are all those pieces of paper floating down the river?” To which, with great presence of mind, he replied, “Those, ma’am, are notices that bathing is forbidden.”
    (Gwen Raverat - Period Piece 1952)

    I'm sorry, I did not understand the story ... my english is not perfect, you must excuse me I will try to improve
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Bassaricyon neblina Olinguito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Greater London, England, UK
    Posts
    45
    Ciao Francesca!

    La mia ragazza italiana; l’ho conosciuta recentemente. Ora sto imparando l’italiano – e penso di andare in Italia questo inverno.
    Last edited by Olinguito; September 3rd, 2013 at 06:51 AM.
    Fra likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Fra
    Fra is offline
    Forum Freshman Fra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Olinguito View Post
    Ciao Francesca!

    La mia ragazza italiana; l’ho conosciuta recentemente. Ora sto imparando l’italiano – e penso di andare in Italia il prossimo inverno.

    ciao, parli egregiamente l'italiano
    Olinguito likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Bar Stool Scientist AluminumFalcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    9
    *goes to google translate*
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,149
    Fra.....my niece is Francesca...Welcome, young learned lady!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Welcome to the forum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. I Introduce Myself
    By TechneBoss in forum Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 16th, 2013, 05:32 PM
  2. Introduce
    By 1w2e3r4 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 12th, 2012, 08:11 AM
  3. Hello everybody, I just did that ( introduce myself)
    By Gerrit Jan in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM
  4. Introduce my self
    By dade in forum Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 9th, 2012, 01:58 AM
  5. Introduce Yourself
    By 2112 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 188
    Last Post: February 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •