Notices
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Neverfly

Thread: Science is my religion facebook page

  1. #1 Science is my religion facebook page 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10
    Hi everyone.I have just started a Facebook page called science is my religion.I love science and I would like to share my interest to everyone.I want to get other people interested in science too.My first love is astro physics but I'm interested in all science.Please like my page, the link is- www.facebook.com/scienceismyreligion It's new but there will be plenty of posts coming to keep you all interested and possibly amused.Thanks


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Sorry, I'm really not interested in more instigation between religion and science. Science is my way of life, not my religion.


    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    I agree with Flick, science is most definitely NOT a religion. I'm not liking something that describes it as such...
    I'm not trying to do such a thing. The title is not ment to be taken seriously, I just want to share my love of science.Mainly astrophysics and astronomy along with other fields, it has nothing to do with religion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,030
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    "Science is my religion" has "nothing to do with religion"

    You need to come up with a better name then...
    Science is my heroin?
    Science is my sexual fetish?
    Science is my goldfish?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10
    How?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10
    You need to get a grip and don't take things too seriously.Science is my religion. It is because I say it is. It does not have to be an issue does it !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    Science is my religion.
    So you accept things unquestioningly on faith?
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    who sees through things
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK now, US before
    Posts
    269
    The problem is that many people do think that science is just another type of religion, and will take the title seriously.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Fair enough, frustrating day at work, didn't mean to take it out on you. I was just making the point that using a word that has nothing to do with your page in the title is hardly an example of clear communication. Good luck with the page but the R word will attract cranks like flies around the brown sticky stuff.
    Thanks. The title is kind of a personal joke if that makes sense.I'm just sick of everything being about religion. Wars in the Middle East. New pope bla bla !Science is my faith, I'm reading a book now about the universe by Stephen hawking. That's my bible.The laws of physics is my god. I could not be any more of an atheist.All this page is about is what I have learnt because I'm not a professor or a scientist.I'm a stone mason. But I love science and I want a lot of people to like my page in Facebook.Because when I make statuses related to science it will come on their news feeds and I hope they will read them and get interested. Because we can not get enough scientists on this planet, also would be nice for people to educate me in things because I'm still learning
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Science is my religion View Post
    I'm just sick of everything being about religion. Wars in the Middle East. New pope bla bla
    Which is why science should distance itself from religion. Science is about rational, reasoned deductions based upon evidence and observation. It is lessened when put up against something like religion. Maybe that's my arrogance speaking, but I think all scientists should strive to maintain the integrity and purity of science and not let it get dragged into the mud by those who fear it for whatever reason.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Science is my religion View Post
    I'm just sick of everything being about religion. Wars in the Middle East. New pope bla bla
    Which is why science should distance itself from religion. Science is about rational, reasoned deductions based upon evidence and observation. It is lessened when put up against something like religion. Maybe that's my arrogance speaking, but I think all scientists should strive to maintain the integrity and purity of science and not let it get dragged into the mud by those who fear it for whatever reason.
    I respect your point. I was just trying to spread my enthusiasm. The title was ment to be a joke. I just wished the peopleOf this planet would learn about science as religiously as they do about Jesus or whoever they believe in
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    If you had any idea how many religious zealots use the tactic of trying to befuddle issues and confuse readers in order to undermine understanding of science by making it appear that Science is a Religious Faith, you might understand why others question your choice of words.

    You meant it a certain way, but others will not necessarily take it how you want.

    In the meantime, welcome to the forum.
    PhDemon likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,786
    Science is the Cheech to my Chong.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Science is the Cheech to my Chong.
    So science is the one which has a lucrative career as an actor and you're the one who vanished into oblivion?
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10
    I'm surprised that the title of my page has caused such controversy. All I wanted to do was spread my enthusiasm Of my love of learning about science !!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Science is my religion View Post
    I'm surprised that the title of my page has caused such controversy. All I wanted to do was spread my enthusiasm Of my love of learning about science !!
    Well, don't sweat it. Just dive into discussions of scientific interest.

    By the way, I do not do facebook, so I cannot officially "like" your page. But I did go and have a look at it and I liked what I saw.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Science is my religion View Post
    I'm surprised that the title of my page has caused such controversy. All I wanted to do was spread my enthusiasm Of my love of learning about science !!
    Well, don't sweat it. Just dive into discussions of scientific interest.By the way, I do not do facebook, so I cannot officially "like" your page. But I did go and have a look at it and I liked what I saw.
    Thank you. I appreciate that !!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,786
    We shouldn't be getting after his choice of names. After all, he could be one of those people that create a page stating "Religion is my science."
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10
    In times off war, The law falls silent.???Explain please ??,
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Science is my religion View Post
    In times off war, The law falls silent.???Explain please ??,
    Things that ordinarily might be considered as unlawful become commonplace in wartime.

    I quote it a bit defiantly- as if to say that when I'm ready to fight, I will respect no laws.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 8th, 2012, 04:42 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last Post: February 21st, 2012, 05:57 AM
  3. Science and Religion
    By Jim Colyer in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 19th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •