Notices
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: DaRk AgEs! YeAh RiGhT!!!

  1. #1 DaRk AgEs! YeAh RiGhT!!! 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tunisia
    Posts
    49
    as we all know, or we think that we know, the dark ages that humans had, wasnt a dark age for all humans, it was a dark age, only for europe,
    europeans, in that time, was in their own dark ages, sufering from wars, death, desieses, relegion and churches controlling everything, including the Ppapa, or something like that,
    but in the other side, in the middle east, they had their golden ages, hundreds of invnetions, that still even used toaday, arabs, they invented surgery, chemistry, algebra, and developed it, camera basic, (the box with a hole in it to pass the light, and reflect a reversed picture), they tryed to fly, but didnt make it, isterlab, medecines, eyes glasses, mecanique, clock, arts, poetry, writing art, physics, ...
    http://1001inventions.com/
    and who said there was no women inventers, i mean, who women who invents, and have a part in science and univercties, check that site,
    and check that video
    http://www.facebook.com/silvergunn?r...2670729&ref=mf

    etc...

    it wasnt dark after all, science that arabs developed, created and invened, are even still used for toaday, including surgeries, eye glasses, ... you can see more, there's a whole 1001, they even invented the motor, that work with water vapor, it was a ball, with two piped from both sides, each pipe is not straigt, but, with an angle, when water vaporaize, it make the ball turns, and that is called, water vapor motor, but when he invented it, he didnt know what to do with it, he just invented it

    http://www.facebook.com/silvergunn?r...2670729&ref=mf
    http://1001inventions.com/


    i'll try to find a full documentary film of the 1001 inventions, i hope i can find a full film, it's just wonderfull =)


    http://muslimheritage.com/

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHeqj...eature=relatedrr


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    266
    yeah the dark ages is an outdated term no longer used by historians...so...this post really has no point


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,148
    in the middle east, they had their golden ages
    was that followed by a dark age equivalent later on as religion started to strangle knowledge and questionning of authority to replace it by thats the way it is because god (or holy book) says so? Because it sure looks like progress stop dead in its tracks while the renaissance witnessed a questioning of religion and monarchic authority along with growth of curiosity, questioning, observation, testing and science.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    419
    I believe the rotating steam ball 'motor was invented by the Greeks. As well, a lot of other Arab discoveries/inventions were developed from Greek thinking and ideas. This is likely because the Arabs stored and did not lose Greek knowledge like Europeans did after the fall of the Roman empire. Analytical thinking and human expression wasn't 'rediscovered' until the re-birth or renaissance.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tunisia
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by MigL
    I believe the rotating steam ball 'motor was invented by the Greeks. As well, a lot of other Arab discoveries/inventions were developed from Greek thinking and ideas. This is likely because the Arabs stored and did not lose Greek knowledge like Europeans did after the fall of the Roman empire. Analytical thinking and human expression wasn't 'rediscovered' until the .re-birth or renaissance.
    effcorse we started from the greek knoledge, and not from zero.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 Re: . 
    Forum Senior Kukhri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow001
    Quote Originally Posted by MigL
    I believe the rotating steam ball 'motor was invented by the Greeks. As well, a lot of other Arab discoveries/inventions were developed from Greek thinking and ideas. This is likely because the Arabs stored and did not lose Greek knowledge like Europeans did after the fall of the Roman empire. Analytical thinking and human expression wasn't 'rediscovered' until the .re-birth or renaissance.
    effcorse we started from the greek knoledge, and not from zero.
    MigL is saying that the first steam engine "aeolipile" was created by a Grecian (commonly called Hero or Heron of Alexandria) and not by an Arab. A similar device had been invented earlier, though by an Italian.
    Co-producer of Red Oasis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: . 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tunisia
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukhri
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow001
    Quote Originally Posted by MigL
    I believe the rotating steam ball 'motor was invented by the Greeks. As well, a lot of other Arab discoveries/inventions were developed from Greek thinking and ideas. This is likely because the Arabs stored and did not lose Greek knowledge like Europeans did after the fall of the Roman empire. Analytical thinking and human expression wasn't 'rediscovered' until the .re-birth or renaissance.
    effcorse we started from the greek knoledge, and not from zero.
    MigL is saying that the first steam engine "aeolipile" was created by a Grecian (commonly called Hero or Heron of Alexandria) and not by an Arab. A similar device had been invented earlier, though by an Italian.
    ah, okki, thanks for the enlighnting,
    but i remember i saw once a show they talked about a steam engine, not exactly an egine, cause he didnt know what to do with it, i mean who maked it, the inventer was the arab mecanic genius (who i forgot his name :P)
    so he maked one, got the idea, but didnt know what to do with it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Historians need not worry about the feelings of the dead. 
    Forum Freshman tombyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by ishmaelblues
    yeah the dark ages is an outdated term no longer used by historians...so...this post really has no point
    The European Dark Age is aptly named. If you were a librarian in, say, the year 850 you would have exactly two places to apply for a job without leaving Europe. Almost nobody could read and write. The few worthy scholars and inventors in Europe at the time might have taken offense at the term "dark age" but chances are they would have agreed with it and hoped for better times. Either way, concern over hurting their feelings would be silly.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,843
    Dark Age is an attitude.
    In this case, it was an anti-innovation attitude. Unless the innovation was for deadlier warfare, it was unacceptable.

    I regard the beginning of the end of the Dark Ages as the time of Copernicus, since he was the first to innovate scientifically, and get that innovation widely publicised. (Others did innovate, but often in secret). After Copernicus, we had the greats of the dawn of modern science, such as Galileo and Newton. When innovation was acceptable, and encouraged, we entered the new Age of Enlightenment.

    As for the Arabic Golden Age, it had far too little impact, since the knowledge so gained was not widely disseminated.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    266
    tombyers, i am not concerned abotu "hurting feelings" rather that others know what historians have already accepted in that using the term "dark age" is itself misinformed. Professional historian no longer use it, however, it is still found amoung amatuer "historians" and other such laity.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    If you're talking about like say 500AD - 1150 AD England, then they're "dark" in the sense that so many of the books/records of that time got burned later on that it's hard to even piece together what was going on. Dark to us, since we have no way to see. No way to be sure whether it was dark to them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •