Notices
Results 1 to 40 of 40

Thread: Tesla vs Edison

  1. #1 Tesla vs Edison 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    33
    Both of the above mentioned people offered much to the world of science. It is my opinion that Tesla however did more things to revolutionize the world than Edison. He created alternating current, the tesla coil, he also hinted at many inventions that we use every day. Such as the tv and x ray. But why then do more people know about Edison. I believe that Tesla was robbed of his place in the history books. So please tell me what you guys think about this issue.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    11
    The reason is Tesla was not a native American. But instead he originated from a small European country. There was nobody to be proud on him. Nobody saw the interest in popularizing him, after his death.
    Except from Serbia. But than again Serbia is a small country with minimal international influence.

    And yes his contributions was greater than Edisons.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    33
    ok thanx
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: Tesla vs Edison 
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by credo
    Both of the above mentioned people offered much to the world of science. It is my opinion that Tesla however did more things to revolutionize the world than Edison. He created alternating current, the tesla coil, he also hinted at many inventions that we use every day. Such as the tv and x ray. But why then do more people know about Edison. I believe that Tesla was robbed of his place in the history books. So please tell me what you guys think about this issue.
    I suspect there are relatively more mundane reasons. First the light bulb and the phonograph are more obvious to most people than Tesla's contribution. Second, possibly even more important, Edison was very good at self-promotion and he was his own boss. Tesla (from what I understand) worked for Westinghouse.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    33
    he didnt work for westinghouse. he just sold him hos alternating current idea
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 Re: Tesla vs Edison 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by credo
    I suspect there are relatively more mundane reasons. First the light bulb and the phonograph are more obvious to most people than Tesla's contribution. Second, possibly even more important, Edison was very good at self-promotion and he was his own boss. Tesla (from what I understand) worked for Westinghouse.
    Well, if that is the case, than tell me.
    How come Einstein was very popular even in his days, when 90% of people back then didn`t understand theory of relativity?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: Tesla vs Edison 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by kris12
    Well, if that is the case, thatn tell me.
    How come Einstein was very popular even in his days, when 90% of people back then didn`t understand theory of relativity?
    Einstein was not native American, either, which kind of shoots down your theory too.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    I kind of agree with Mathman here. Edison was able to build the industry around his inventions himself, so he was both a leader in invention, and in industry. Tesla, on the other hand, didn't have the organizational skills to run his own company.

    People were also good at denying him credit. He kind of had an arrogant, self vaunting personality that made people personally dislike him in general. The patent for radio, for example, almost went to Marconi, and was only finally awarded to Tesla after his death. How many history books kept up with that outcome? A lot of them didn't, and many people think Marconi invented radio.

    He's also not much of a "success story" because he died relatively poor compared to what he might have been. But, as far as inventing things: he probably did way more than Edison.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    66
    Tesla had few original ideas. Many of the things associated with Tesla pre-dated his work.

    E.G... John Hoplinson of Manchester worked on 3 phase AC generation and transmission before Tesla.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Edison was your classic top-hat capitalist, employing people to invent in his name.

    Tesla was your classic geek, a real tool.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook
    Tesla had few original ideas. Many of the things associated with Tesla pre-dated his work.

    E.G... John Hoplinson of Manchester worked on 3 phase AC generation and transmission before Tesla.
    I don't doubt that Tesla took a lot of ideas or theories that were out there and simply built them. That's usually what a person like him actually is. It's somebody who's actually placing a spark on a bunch of kindling that's been gathering for a while.

    What I'd still give him credit for, however, is figuring out how to actually build those things, or how to make a group of ideas work together. Take his invention of radio controlled boats: I'm sure both radio waves, and the notion of using electricity to operate controls on a boat had been thought of, but he put them together. (Sort of like those Reeses Peanut Butter Cups commercials)

    I'm pretty sure the reason he gets credit for radio is not because he invented the concept itself, but because he figured out how to amplify the signal enough to be practical.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9
    I believe that reading the following lines would make some things clearer...

    Quote Originally Posted by credo
    Both of the above mentioned people offered much to the world of science.
    I would disagree. Comparing Edison to Tesla is absurd. Edison is nothing more than a Ferengi from Star Trek serial... Profit, profit and only profit...

    You will even find in school books that Edison is a pioneer of AC current and that statement is a top notch lie... Who wrote that!? People are served with lies every day, especially if there is money involved in the story.

    Tesla refused to share Nobel prize with Edison and that action speaks for itself. People, they are not comparable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook
    Tesla had few original ideas. Many of the things associated with Tesla pre-dated his work.
    You must be drunk, on drugs or stupid to use this statement in negative connotation. Everything discovered before you is available to you and you can/should use it to make something new/useful/operational/better.

    Rudjer Boskovic (another great Serbian physicist) gave his atomic theory about 200 years before Einstein. This work inspired Michael Faraday to develop field theory for electromagnetic interaction, and was even a basis for Albert Einstein's attempts for a unified field theory. So, do you see the concept in this example?

    Also, contrary to what schools have taught for years, the American icon, Thomas Edison, neither invented the light bulb, nor held the first patent to the modern design of the light bulb. What a thief!!!

    Apparently, we gave the esteemed Mr. Edison credit for the invention solely because he owned a power company, later known as General Electric, and a light bulb is just a bulb without a source of electricity to light it. In reality, light bulbs used as electric lights existed 50 years prior to Thomas Edison's 1879 patent date in the U.S. See for yourself, http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/edison.asp

    Quote Originally Posted by mathman
    First the light bulb and the phonograph are more obvious to most people than Tesla's contribution.
    Read the lines above about light bulb and Edison.

    Quote Originally Posted by kris12
    How come Einstein was very popular even in his days, when 90% of people back then didn`t understand theory of relativity?
    Theory of relativity just draws science in a wrong direction and it is normal if nobody understood it. Nikola Tesla refused to accept that theory 100 years ago. Read the following article to understand why Tesla refused to accept it: http://www.aspden.org/arp/2005arp5.pdf

    You can also read about Tesla's notes that "faster than light" is very possible:
    http://home.gwi.net/~erichard/fastlit.htm

    or simply google for "faster than light tesla"

    Tesla also said: "There is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment." The attack he made on Einstein's work was considered outrageous by the scientific establishment of the time, and only now do we have enough understanding of gravity to realize that he was right. It is proven that Tesla was right about 20 years ago, man... )) People on this forum must be very illiterated.

    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    Tesla, on the other hand, didn't have the organizational skills to run his own company.
    Tesla came to US with 4 cents in his pocket. He needed an investor to cover his projects and some of the projects were really really big. I would like to see Edison in the same position to see his organizational skills. )) He would be in jail somewhere because of the thievery... ) The problem is that investors saw Tesla as a cash cow and played a game with him not paying what he was promised or abandoning the project when they saw that his discoveries could shut down their industries. All that they can sell than would be antennas. That's why Tesla is forced to sell some of his patents to get money or simply not finish his ideas.

    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    He's also not much of a "success story" because he died relatively poor compared to what he might have been.
    Totally wrong. He is "success story" bigtime. Big investors and big companies didn't let Tesla to make his ideas because they will shut down their companies immediately. Tesla's dream was a free energy. FREE!!! Imagine that. Why you still burn oil to get energy? Because, there is money in oil!!! And you can control whole world with oil!!! Free energy -> no money! That's why Tesla is underrated, unknown, forgotten... His ideas are heavily used by military instead me and you. After he died, his papers are kept by FBI for 7 years before they are returned to Belgrade. His Dynamic theory of Gravity is never revealed to the world. What did they do with those papers for 7 years, man? I believe some "copy machine" was overheating bigtime in that period...

    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    I'm pretty sure the reason he gets credit for radio is not because he invented the concept itself, but because he figured out how to amplify the signal enough to be practical.
    HAHAHA!! What a statement... Here is what Tesla said regarding Marconi's work on the radio...

    "Marconi is a good fellow. Let him continue. He is using seventeen of my patents." Lets make it uppercase -> SEVENTEEN... The Tesla coil, invented in 1891, is still used in radio and television sets and other electronic equipment. So, who invented radio and who was a thief? Good advice would be to read something before making a statement.

    Bottom line... Is it better to invest money to discover a global free energy concept like Tesla did, or to invest money in making an arsenal of nuclear/weather/biological/etc weapons like someone is doing for the past 70 years? Im not trying to offend anybody with this question but it is still an open question here on the science forum.

    If you don't know who Tesla was, what he did and how much he contributed to the world, ask some government or some military why you don't know that. You can also ask where taxes goes.

    Tesla's last words are below, in the signature. What are the Edison's last words?

    Live long and prosper...
    "Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the future, for which I have really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Well, Edison did pay an inventor to build the world's first electric chair, which Edison publicized as grisly example of AC power's brutal nature. He was also the world's first man to "Westinghouse" (electrocute) a live elephant, again scientifically proving the relative safety of his company's DC product.

    LOL. What a bastard.

    Did he personally invent anything though? Like, no cheating?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong
    Did he personally invent anything though? Like, no cheating?
    How about the quadruplex telegraph. He used the profit from that to build the Menlo Park research lab.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    the quadruplex telegraph
    That's something. Personally, I rather wired over wireless communication so Tesla's vision gets a thumbs down on that score.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe

    Quote Originally Posted by kris12
    How come Einstein was very popular even in his days, when 90% of people back then didn`t understand theory of relativity?
    Theory of relativity just draws science in a wrong direction and it is normal if nobody understood it. Nikola Tesla refused to accept that theory 100 years ago. Read the following article to understand why Tesla refused to accept it: http://www.aspden.org/arp/2005arp5.pdf

    You can also read about Tesla's notes that "faster than light" is very possible:
    http://home.gwi.net/~erichard/fastlit.htm

    or simply google for "faster than light tesla"

    Tesla also said: "There is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment." The attack he made on Einstein's work was considered outrageous by the scientific establishment of the time, and only now do we have enough understanding of gravity to realize that he was right. It is proven that Tesla was right about 20 years ago, man... )) People on this forum must be very illiterated.
    "Proven" is a little bit of a strong claim for that. Relativity works so far as anyone has tested it, and the nuclear bomb does indicate that matter can be burned in ways that don't seem to be limited to the "energy received from the environment".

    I don't discount Tesla's arguments entirely, or anything, because I actually respect his scientific perspective a lot, but it's not like the man was never wrong about anything. He wasn't totally infallible, just right about a lot of things.


    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    Tesla, on the other hand, didn't have the organizational skills to run his own company.
    Tesla came to US with 4 cents in his pocket. He needed an investor to cover his projects and some of the projects were really really big. I would like to see Edison in the same position to see his organizational skills. )) He would be in jail somewhere because of the thievery... ) The problem is that investors saw Tesla as a cash cow and played a game with him not paying what he was promised or abandoning the project when they saw that his discoveries could shut down their industries. All that they can sell than would be antennas. That's why Tesla is forced to sell some of his patents to get money or simply not finish his ideas.

    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    He's also not much of a "success story" because he died relatively poor compared to what he might have been.
    Totally wrong. He is "success story" bigtime. Big investors and big companies didn't let Tesla to make his ideas because they will shut down their companies immediately. Tesla's dream was a free energy. FREE!!! Imagine that. Why you still burn oil to get energy? Because, there is money in oil!!! And you can control whole world with oil!!! Free energy -> no money! That's why Tesla is underrated, unknown, forgotten... His ideas are heavily used by military instead me and you. After he died, his papers are kept by FBI for 7 years before they are returned to Belgrade. His Dynamic theory of Gravity is never revealed to the world. What did they do with those papers for 7 years, man? I believe some "copy machine" was overheating bigtime in that period...
    The ability to forsee and stop others from ripping you off *is* an organizational skill. In fact, it's the most important one. Nobody who ever set up a large business was ever successful without that skill.

    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    I'm pretty sure the reason he gets credit for radio is not because he invented the concept itself, but because he figured out how to amplify the signal enough to be practical.
    HAHAHA!! What a statement... Here is what Tesla said regarding Marconi's work on the radio...

    "Marconi is a good fellow. Let him continue. He is using seventeen of my patents." Lets make it uppercase -> SEVENTEEN... The Tesla coil, invented in 1891, is still used in radio and television sets and other electronic equipment. So, who invented radio and who was a thief? Good advice would be to read something before making a statement.
    I'm pretty sure Heinrich Hertz was technically the first to generate an artificial radio wave in 1887.

    Tesla might have been the first to consider using it to send information. I'm not sure who else's idea that could have been. But, yeah, I don't think Marconi deserves credit. He did things with radio, but he's not the inventor of it.


    Bottom line... Is it better to invest money to discover a global free energy concept like Tesla did, or to invest money in making an arsenal of nuclear/weather/biological/etc weapons like someone is doing for the past 70 years? Im not trying to offend anybody with this question but it is still an open question here on the science forum.

    If you don't know who Tesla was, what he did and how much he contributed to the world, ask some government or some military why you don't know that. You can also ask where taxes goes.

    Tesla's last words are below, in the signature. What are the Edison's last words?

    Live long and prosper...
    Tesla's quote shows you the fundamental flaw in his personality. He was a hopeless idealist. (Which isn't exactly a flaw, necessarily.)

    History is told by the winners. Americans are all about "winning" (as ugly a characteristic as that may be). Tesla didn't "win" even though he accomplished more than most people ever will. At the end of the day, he didn't get paid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    "Proven" is a little bit of a strong claim for that. Relativity works so far as anyone has tested it, and the nuclear bomb does indicate that matter can be burned in ways that don't seem to be limited to the "energy received from the environment".
    Einstein's formula E=mc2 is just way too relative...

    The same formula applies: The mass difference, multiplied by c2, gives the energy set free during the chemical reaction. Same formula, same conversion factor - yet chemical reactions are much less violent than nuclear explosions. This clearly shows that the difference between nuclear and chemical reactions must be due to something other than E=mc2.

    The strength of the nuclear bond depends on the number of neutrons and protons involved. It varies in such a way that binding energy is released both in splitting up a heavy nucleus into smaller parts and in fusing light nuclei into heavier ones. This, as well as the chain reaction phenomenon, explains the immense power of nuclear bombs.

    It does not require relativity to understand fission. All that is required is to understand that once the strong nuclear force that binds the nucleus together is overcome then the potential energy of the electrostatic interaction between protons will come into play and fling the atomic fragments apart. It is really EM at work - not relativity.

    In fact, Einstein's politics played a more decisive role in the story of the atomic bomb than his physics.

    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    The ability to forsee and stop others from ripping you off *is* an organizational skill. In fact, it's the most important one. Nobody who ever set up a large business was ever successful without that skill.
    Are we talking about business or science here? We are going back to Ferengi story again.

    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    Tesla's quote shows you the fundamental flaw in his personality. He was a hopeless idealist.
    Yeah, right... He invented 20th century. A hopeless idealist.

    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    History is told by the winners. Americans are all about "winning" (as ugly a characteristic as that may be). Tesla didn't "win" even though he accomplished more than most people ever will. At the end of the day, he didn't get paid.
    Im not sure what this exactly means, but you are right about "history is told by the winners". You just need to add "no matter if it is a lie". History also said that every large empire is destroyed from within- not from without... And someone said that history repeats too...

    We have spending ourselves into oblivion despite having the most bountiful collection of natural resources any nation has ever had available to it. Instead of using it for good, we have mostly used it for evil, greed and repression. Is this the reason you talking about why Tesla didn't get paid at the end of the day?
    "Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the future, for which I have really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Beverly Hills, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong
    Well, Edison did pay an inventor to build the world's first electric chair, which Edison publicized as grisly example of AC power's brutal nature. He was also the world's first man to "Westinghouse" (electrocute) a live elephant, again scientifically proving the relative safety of his company's DC product.

    LOL. What a bastard.

    Did he personally invent anything though? Like, no cheating?
    he did invent the DC motor (Direct Current) but tesla invented the more energy-efficent AC motor (Alternating Current) tesla was from serbia and worked for edison for a little while and joked with tesla about making a machine or something.... (it escapes my mind at the moment :? ) and then when tesla DID make the machine edison said that he was only joking and then stole the ideas for it and made his own ripoff and then tesla moved to work with westinghouse...... because tesla was in it for his natural love of science.... meanwhile edison on the otherhand.... was in it ONLY for the money.... he didnt really care about the science.... ALL he wanted was the money..... and he was constantly stealing from other people.....

    generally what edison would do is go over to europe.... and find an invention make notes about how it works... what it does..... then went back to america before word of the other guys invention came to america and he basically went "hey guys look what ive got, arent i so good " basically i reckon that edison was probably the science worlds biggest thief and corrupt person..... no wonder he spent the last 30 YEARS of his life IN-COURT getting his ass sued off for plagurism for copying things that were NOT his.... ALL he EVER wanted, was the money....
    "Give Your Soul to me For Eternity, and take Your place Inside The Fire in my Life" "Inside The Fire" by Disturbed

    'Asprin' Apply Directly To The Forehead =P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    Tesla's quote shows you the fundamental flaw in his personality. He was a hopeless idealist.
    Yeah, right... He invented 20th century. A hopeless idealist.
    If you want progress to happen, the trick is to set up a system where people who do good things don't get ripped off. We're all very lucky that Tesla didn't for-see how badly people were going to screw him, or there probably wouldn't have ever been a 20th century as we know it.


    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    History is told by the winners. Americans are all about "winning" (as ugly a characteristic as that may be). Tesla didn't "win" even though he accomplished more than most people ever will. At the end of the day, he didn't get paid.
    Im not sure what this exactly means, but you are right about "history is told by the winners". You just need to add "no matter if it is a lie". History also said that every large empire is destroyed from within- not from without... And someone said that history repeats too...
    Very good point.

    We have spending ourselves into oblivion despite having the most bountiful collection of natural resources any nation has ever had available to it. Instead of using it for good, we have mostly used it for evil, greed and repression. Is this the reason you talking about why Tesla didn't get paid at the end of the day?
    I think Americans like to choose financially successful people as their role models because they hope they will be financially successful too if they emulate that person well enough.

    If you try and emulate Tesla, you'll end up broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    If you want progress to happen, the trick is to set up a system where people who do good things don't get ripped off. We're all very lucky that Tesla didn't for-see how badly people were going to screw him, or there probably wouldn't have ever been a 20th century as we know it.
    Tesla didn't cared about the money that much. He could be an instant millionaire, but he actually saved Westinghouse from bankruptcy by tearing up the contract. The main problem is: somebody did a lot of work to make his name forgotten, forbidden, erased from books and to call him a mad scientist. Even MythBusters declared Tesla's resonance machine as busted.

    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    I think Americans like to choose financially successful people as their role models because they hope they will be financially successful too if they emulate that person well enough.

    If you try and emulate Tesla, you'll end up broke.
    Could be, got your point. It's all about the money. You hire brilliant engineers, keep them occupied with a decent wage, keep them away from any publicity and take credit for their inventions and become rich yourself. I wonder what would possibly happen if Tesla came to Moscow, not to New York.
    "Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the future, for which I have really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    If you want progress to happen, the trick is to set up a system where people who do good things don't get ripped off. We're all very lucky that Tesla didn't for-see how badly people were going to screw him, or there probably wouldn't have ever been a 20th century as we know it.
    Tesla didn't cared about the money that much. He could be an instant millionaire, but he actually saved Westinghouse from bankruptcy by tearing up the contract. The main problem is: somebody did a lot of work to make his name forgotten, forbidden, erased from books and to call him a mad scientist. Even MythBusters declared Tesla's resonance machine as busted.
    I haven't heard about this resonance machine. Could you elaborate?

    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    I think Americans like to choose financially successful people as their role models because they hope they will be financially successful too if they emulate that person well enough.

    If you try and emulate Tesla, you'll end up broke.
    Could be, got your point. It's all about the money. You hire brilliant engineers, keep them occupied with a decent wage, keep them away from any publicity and take credit for their inventions and become rich yourself. I wonder what would possibly happen if Tesla came to Moscow, not to New York.
    Part of it is that a lot of Americans are very anti-elitist, and want to believe that you don't have to be a genius to be successful. (That's why you get programs like "no child left behind") They prefer role models who seem like they worked hard, but didn't have any natural gifts. Tesla was a natural genius, and that means 90%+ of the population has no hope of getting anywhere by trying to emulate him.

    People tell themselves the story that gives them the most hope. They'd rather hear legends about Edison building 500 light bulbs that didn't work just to arrive at the one that did, than a guy who could envision his entire projects in his head, and then flawlessly convert them to reality within 2 or 3 tries. It's far more impressive, but less inspiring.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Beverly Hills, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    140
    a little off-topic... but nevertheless.... i still dont get how when tesla died at the new york hotel alone and pennyless.... that his notes/thoughts/ideas were raided by the government 24HOURS after he died.... and when his brother arrived from serbia a few weeks later, that most of tesla's notes were missing!!! anyone know what happened to his notes?? i was told that the government had had tesla under serveilance for a while... and so when he died his "incriminating" science notes were raided... anyone? 8)
    "Give Your Soul to me For Eternity, and take Your place Inside The Fire in my Life" "Inside The Fire" by Disturbed

    'Asprin' Apply Directly To The Forehead =P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    I haven't heard about this resonance machine. Could you elaborate?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_resonance

    There is a section on this page titled "Earthquake machine". Nova days bridges (or any other large solid structure) are built to withstand certain amount of resonance and vibration just because of this resonance phenomenon. This is not a myth. As much as I know, soldiers are instructed not to march over the bridge because of the same reason (there's a chance that their steps will coincide with the resonant frequency of the bridge), but this is also declared as busted and broadcasted by MythBusters.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxTZ446tbzE

    Here's the famous collapse of the Tacoma Narrows bridge due to resonance caused by wind... It's commonly cited as one of the great engineering disasters of modern times, in which the designers failed to consider resonance as a potential source of failure.
    "Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the future, for which I have really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    I haven't heard about this resonance machine. Could you elaborate?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_resonance

    There is a section on this page titled "Earthquake machine". Nova days bridges (or any other large solid structure) are built to withstand certain amount of resonance and vibration just because of this resonance phenomenon. This is not a myth. As much as I know, soldiers are instructed not to march over the bridge because of the same reason (there's a chance that their steps will coincide with the resonant frequency of the bridge), but this is also declared as busted and broadcasted by MythBusters.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxTZ446tbzE

    Here's the famous collapse of the Tacoma Narrows bridge due to resonance caused by wind... It's commonly cited as one of the great engineering disasters of modern times, in which the designers failed to consider resonance as a potential source of failure.
    So, specifically, how did Tesla's machine itself work? The problem with resonating anything is figuring out exactly what frequency to use, so wouldn't his machine have needed to be able to detect that first before it could make things shake?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax
    So, specifically, how did Tesla's machine itself work? The problem with resonating anything is figuring out exactly what frequency to use, so wouldn't his machine have needed to be able to detect that first before it could make things shake?
    It has to be tuned manually to hit desired frequency.
    "Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the future, for which I have really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Maybe it's deliberately suppressed because it is dangerous. Maybe it simply would consume a lot of energy to start a heavy object resonating, so it's only practical in the way lasers and particle beams are practical. (Tesla was fond of building machines that required their own power plant to work.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman34
    a little off-topic... but nevertheless.... i still dont get how when tesla died at the new york hotel alone and pennyless.... that his notes/thoughts/ideas were raided by the government 24HOURS after he died.... and when his brother arrived from serbia a few weeks later, that most of tesla's notes were missing!!! anyone know what happened to his notes?? i was told that the government had had tesla under serveilance for a while... and so when he died his "incriminating" science notes were raided... anyone? 8)
    I get the impression that the USA military likes to stay on the cutting edge of any militarily important tech developments, so they would want to simultaneously lay claim to those notes, and suppress them from the public.

    Tesla spent a lot of time talking about a death ray he thought he could build, and, if he was right, then it's probably a secret best kept, rather than shared.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27 Tesla did scientifically Edison made it as a business 
    New Member santhosh pillai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tiruchchirapalli
    Posts
    3
    Both of them did what they knew
    SANTHOSH
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28 Nikola Tesla:The Forgotten Father of Today 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    Tesla is the real Genius. Due to low funds, he coudn't achieve his dream of free wireless energy and other signals to the world.
    His inventions are of present day usages. like Radar Devices, electron microscope, microwave oven etc. His thinking was more than 100 years advanced.
    Great Scientist. Noway Comparable to Edison who discredited Tesla in his inventions.

    [/code]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    @santhosh- Tesla made great inventions, and little of it , Edison knows......
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    Any1 of u,Argues, Edison is great Scientist.... let me know.....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31 success? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    Kojax,
    Is Success money or bettering the lives of the WORLD through AC radio and many others? He got AC to work and could have been rich beyond comprehension, however, when Westinghouse got in trouble, Tesla ripped up the contract and gave him AC in order to save his company from the bombardment of lies passed to the public by Edison and JP Morgan.

    Pumblechook,
    Many people worked on AC before Tesla, however, Tesla got it to work. Tesla invented radio “Long Island project, patented it, lost funding, and Marconi took it up using 17 of Tesla’s patents. Tesla shrugged it off till Marconi got the Nobel Prize for it. When Tesla stood up and said hey now this isn’t right. The US reversed his patents and gave them to Marconi. Shortly after Tesla died Marconi tried to sue the Government for using his radio without giving him royalties, so the government reversed the patents back to Tesla.
    Edison and Einstein were much slower at math than Tesla. But Edison was reckless, and just an ass who knew powerful people.
    As for original ideas, who has an original idea from start to finish? Answer? No one.
    That is the point of education, for the next generation to build on the previous.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    BTW,
    I don’t know what Tesla may have done in his early years but karma had it in for him.
    From what I have read, Tesla had to share his Nobel Prize with Edison, (burn). He was awarded the Edison Award, (burn). And the final kicker:
    Tesla had a phobia of spheres, did not like pearls and such to touch his skin. When he died he was cremated and his ashes were put in an urn. The urn was is a sphere, (BURN)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    [quote="kojax"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumblechook
    Tesla had few original ideas. Many of the things associated with Tesla pre-dated his work.

    I'm pretty sure the reason he gets credit for radio is not because he invented the concept itself, but because he figured out how to amplify the signal enough to be practical.
    Kojax,
    Actually, he was the father of radio, while in Colorado, he noticed artifact noise in his readings and originally thought they were signals coming from another planet. Soon after he realized the signals seemed to be coming from the planet and concluded that somewhere in the world lightning hit the earth and the jolt was showing up in his readings. Therefore if the earth is a large conductor then he should be able to send a message anywhere in the world using the earth as the carrier. Less than a year later he blew out the Colorado Electric and caused a mass blackout while attempting to send electricity “wirelessly” across town. He then went to Long Island to create the first radio tower but JP Morgan stopped funding him in the middle of the work and had to stop. Like I said, educated people work off each other and Marconi finished what Tesla had started.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    Justme,
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe
    I believe that reading the following lines would make some things clearer...
    The attack he made on Einstein's work was considered outrageous by the scientific establishment of the time, and only now do we have enough understanding of gravity to realize that he was right.
    Tesla never really attacked Einstein in anyway. He simply said, the math has to work or the whole concept is gibberish. Just to be clear, I am not saying you’re wrong, just clarifying. Everyone makes Tesla out to be arrogant, but I believe it was more of a cultural misunderstanding. He had a big heart, and though he was documented several times that he will be a millionaire, his bleeding heart would let others take advantage of him so that others could benefit. In words you will understand, (from your trek talk) “the needs of the many out way the needs of the one”.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    the quadruplex telegraph
    That's something. Personally, I rather wired over wireless communication so Tesla's vision gets a thumbs down on that score.
    Pong,
    i am truly trying not to attack anyone but the only way I can say this is... WTF
    1885!!! I'll say it again incase you missed it. 1885!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    Oh, and BTW Edison’s last words were something like the following. Tesla was right.um the quote is:
    Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the future, for which I have really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla
    Not jax’s live long and prosper… which is jax’s signoff.
    The quote in my opinion is saying. I am right, you are wrong, and the future will show you this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman34
    and worked for edison for a little while and joked with tesla about making a machine or something.... (it escapes my mind at the moment :? :roll: :?: ) and then when tesla DID make the machine edison said that he was only joking and then stole the ideas for it and made his own ripoff and then tesla moved to work with westinghouse
    Edison’s DC motors kept breaking down. Edison said he would give Tesla $50,000 to redesign them to not break. Tesla did, and Edison did not pay him. He then went to Westinghouse to and sold AC for the price of royalties, which he later refused to take Westinghouses money and gave him AC to save Westinghouse from bankruptcy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman34
    because tesla was in it for his natural love of science.... meanwhile edison on the otherhand.... was in it ONLY for the money.... he didnt really care about the science.... ALL he wanted was the money..... and he was constantly stealing from other people.....
    Absolutely true!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman34
    generally what edison would do is go over to europe.... and find an invention make notes about how it works... what it does..... then went back to america before word of the other guys invention came to america and he basically went "hey guys look what ive got, arent i so good :D " basically i reckon that edison was probably the science worlds biggest thief and corrupt person..... no wonder he spent the last 30 YEARS of his life IN-COURT getting his ass sued off for plagurism for copying things that were NOT his.... ALL he EVER wanted, was the money....
    Probably true!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    Oh, the latest tesla burn:
    A battery fueled motor vehicle built by what company? Tesla Motors
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by vickeyavinash
    Any1 of u,Argues, Edison is great Scientist.... let me know..... :evil:
    I will never argue in the defense of a fraud like edison
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,500
    Are you enjoying this discussion you've been having all by yourself? Have you considered the fact that your style is more appropriate for a blog? Will you continue posting all alone?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40 Re: success? 
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever11111
    Kojax,
    Is Success money or bettering the lives of the WORLD through AC radio and many others? He got AC to work and could have been rich beyond comprehension, however, when Westinghouse got in trouble, Tesla ripped up the contract and gave him AC in order to save his company from the bombardment of lies passed to the public by Edison and JP Morgan.
    Money determines whether a new generation of youngsters will look up to you as a role model to pattern their life after. Tesla's life sucked for the most part, because as you mention he was always getting taken advantage of.

    Inventors don't actually do all that well in the modern world. Businessmen who see the invention and build a business around it make all the money. It's true even today. Bill Gates didn't invent DOS or GUI's , but he's the billionaire who successfully made and marketed Windows. It can be argued that Sam Walton is the guy who made the most money off of mainframe computers, by using them to manage his inventories and consequently being able to undercut his competitors with the added efficiency. It certainly wasn't the tech firm that was contracted by the military to build ENIAC in WW2 who made all the money. (A point I'm stealing from Steve Forbes, lol.)
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •