Notices
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Lost Star of Myth and Time

  1. #1 Lost Star of Myth and Time 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    77
    Is anyone familiar with the book “Lost Star of Myth and Time,” by Walter Cruttenden? The description of this book presents it as evidence that a binary orbital relationship may be the cause of a vast cycling causing the Dark and Golden Ages common to the lore of ancient cultures. It was presented as a combination historical and astronomical work. This completely fascinated me, so I went to the website to find more information. After reading the description of the author and the book, I am not so certain that it is not more astrology, or perhaps scifi attempting to be science. Would someone who has more of an understanding about history and astronomy please consider viewing the below link and sharing your thoughts based on the description, so I can make an informed decision as to whether to read it or not?

    www.loststarbook.com


    Thank you,
    Cyndi


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    The precession of the equinox, or just precession, has long been attributed to local forces wobbling the Earth’s axis. However, new evidence indicates the Earth’s axis does not change orientation relative to local objects at the same rate that it changes orientation to objects outside the solar system. This indicates precession may be partially due to the geometric effect of the solar system’s motion through space.

    Lost Star of Myth and Time examines this new theory of precession and the possibility our Earth

    may be

    subjected to a greater variety of stellar influences than heretofore imagined.
    The words may be shows that he's only theorizing or speculating on these matters and what he says should be taken with a grain of salt as they say.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    77
    Thank you, CT! Point taken. It is very easy to get caught up in some of these things.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    1,085
    I think your doubts about this website are correct, it doesn't make much sense to me. If a change of the Earth orbit is to cause ups and downs in human civilization, than this can only be by means of a climate change. We allready know a good deal about our climate, and It's a fact that the earth has had periods of unusual warmth and cold in the past millennia. These may have had their influence on human life, in the form of bad harvests and diseases, but this doesn't explain nor coincide with some sort of 'cycle of cultures'.

    Or he doesn't mean climate change, but then plain astrology would be the only thing left.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    77
    Thank you, Pendragon. I agree. That was my first thought after reading the website information, astrology I mean. The Dark and Golden Ages are interesting to read about and certainly the possibility of a companion star for the sun is intriguing, but this information did seem a little out of line with both!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    What seems to be lacking here, in what I can glean from the website, is any form of developed self criticism. You have to have an overactive ego to form a Binary Research Institute and apoint yourself Executive Director; establish a Conference on Precession and Ancient Knowledge , at which you are the principal speaker; found an award for research into your area of interest.
    What Cruttenden seems to have done is to identify unanswered questions in the present overview of history and pre-history; postulate plausible, but wholly unsubstantiated answers to these questions.
    This approach is exactly what leads to the true breakthroughs in science, in which new paradigms are defined. However, this only works when the original postulate is subject to rigorous, intense, almost violent probing by the author. This does not appear to be the case here.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    77
    Hi Ophiolite! It is good to have you posting again. As usual you have given order and enlightenment to a sea of confusion! Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to post. Everyone agrees about this book. The title and the description I found to be very fascinating, but then as I read the description at the website I began to have doubts which is why I asked for everyone's thoughts. Again, thanks for taking the time.

    Cyndi
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Lost Star of Myth and Time 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Newport Beach, Ca.
    Posts
    4
    Hi CyndiLoo

    Saw you had a question about “Lost Star of Myth and Time”. As the author, I can’t help but be biased, but the reviews (from those who have read it) are quite favorable. It is a book that raises a lot of questions about history and offers a hypothesis that, if proven true, should shed some light on ancient cultures and the course of civilization. Like Jarred Diamond’s “Guns, Germs and Steel”, I believe geography and environment affect the outcome of living creatures. But it is not just the micro environment of man on Earth that makes a difference – it is also the macro environment of the Earth in space that appears to have an influence over very long periods of time. This book is not about astrology (I don’t know a rising sign from a stop sign) but it does contain some astronomical theory, and some cutting-edge physiology science.

    If you read it and do not enjoy it or find some plausibility to the issues raised I would be happy to refund your money. However, please do not avoid reading it because of a few comments from people that have not read it – science won’t get too far that way!

    Thank you for your interest. And please let me know if I can answer any questions.

    Walter Cruttenden
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 Re: Lost Star of Myth and Time 
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Polestar101
    . However, please do not avoid reading it because of a few comments from people that have not read it – science won’t get too far that way!
    Thanks for dropping by Walter. As one of the people who hasn't read it but offered some negative comments allow me to ask two questions.
    Science is not normally conducted throught the publication of books, but through the publication of peer reviewed papers. What peer reviewed papers have you published in relation to your hypothesis? (By the way thank you for calling it a hypothesis and not a theory. That is a major positive in my book [accidental pun])
    Secondly, how do you respond to my accusation (a spade is a spade) that your ideas are lacking in self criticism?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    77
    Ophiolite, I am very fond of you. Not only do you always stand your ground, but you give me a smile while doing it!

    Mr. Cruttenden, May I ask is there a link to some of the reviews by people who have read this book?

    Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

    Cyndi
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11 Re: Lost Star of Myth and Time 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Newport Beach, Ca.
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    Quote Originally Posted by Polestar101
    . However, please do not avoid reading it because of a few comments from people that have not read it – science won’t get too far that way!
    Thanks for dropping by Walter. As one of the people who hasn't read it but offered some negative comments allow me to ask two questions.
    Science is not normally conducted throught the publication of books, but through the publication of peer reviewed papers. What peer reviewed papers have you published in relation to your hypothesis? (By the way thank you for calling it a hypothesis and not a theory. That is a major positive in my book [accidental pun])
    Secondly, how do you respond to my accusation (a spade is a spade) that your ideas are lacking in self criticism?
    Ophiolite - In answer to your questions, I have only written two papers on geometric precession and neither has been published in a top journal. You can find them at New Frontiers or simply at the BRI website. It is my hope that once the Gravity Probe B final results are available we will have enough hard data to write a proper paper. And yes, while a few of the obvious issues have been addressed at BRI or on various forums, I am woefully lacking in self criticism. Nonetheless, the current theory of lunisolar precession has major problems that require some alternative explanation. For example, our analysis suggests the earth changes orientation by about 50"p/y relative to objects outside the solar system (SS) while only changing about 4"p/y when measured relative to objects inside the SS. Also, our analysis shows the precession rate is speeding up year over year. Current theory either ignores or inadequately addresses such problems. These issues, as well as the uneven distribution of angular momentum in the SS, virtually disappear if the majority of the precession observable (stars slowly moving across the sky) is attributed to the geometric effect of a SS in motion. Nonetheless, I accept the fact that extraordinary proof is required to support any new theory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Newport Beach, Ca.
    Posts
    4
    May I ask is there a link to some of the reviews by people who have read this book?

    Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

    Cyndi[/quote]

    Most reviews are at www.Amazon.com or can be found via Google.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    Sounds like another book written by a complete crack pot, not disimilar to Erik Von Daineken or David Icke.
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Guest
    If you have not read it how can you say such a thing?

    You do not even seem to know what it is about, other than 2/3rd hand accounts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Newport Beach, Ca.
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    Sounds like another book written by a complete crack pot, not disimilar to Erik Von Daineken or David Icke.
    Hi Leo - It is healthy to question alternative explanations of well established scientific theories but proposing an unconventional solution does not make me (or anyone) a crack pot. Unlike the two authors you mentioned my work has nothing to do with aliens or conspiracy theories. Those of us that work at BRI are trying to answer some questions related to precession anomalies that happen to have wide ranging implications. You may want to look at the Gravity Probe B project and keep our ideas about geometric precession in mind as the GPB results are released.

    Cheers

    Walter Cruttenden
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Ph.D. william's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wherever I go, there I am
    Posts
    935
    Hi Walter,
    Just wanted to say that it is pretty cool that you dropped in.

    Cheers,
    william
    "... the polhode rolls without slipping on the herpolhode lying in the invariable plane."
    ~Footnote in Goldstein's Mechanics, 3rd ed. p. 202
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Polestar101
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    Sounds like another book written by a complete crack pot, not disimilar to Erik Von Daineken or David Icke.
    Hi Leo - It is healthy to question alternative explanations of well established scientific theories but proposing an unconventional solution does not make me (or anyone) a crack pot. Unlike the two authors you mentioned my work has nothing to do with aliens or conspiracy theories. Those of us that work at BRI are trying to answer some questions related to precession anomalies that happen to have wide ranging implications. You may want to look at the Gravity Probe B project and keep our ideas about geometric precession in mind as the GPB results are released.

    Cheers

    Walter Cruttenden
    You couldnt write it seriously !!
    There is me slagging a book off and then all of a sudden the bloody author appears in the forum :?

    I know that most star systems are binary, but my reasoning is that Jupiter is our failed twin star. If, however we find a twin star that would be amazing. BUT has it not been proven that other than our own sun, the nearest star is Alpha Centurai B (around 4 light years away).
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Bachelors Degree charles brough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    joplin MO USA
    Posts
    425
    Cyndiloo's link was utterly useless in describing the book. To all appearances it is a pseudo-scientific work on the subject. Social scientists gave up on explaining why civilizations rose and fell almost a half century ago (when they took to calling societies "cultures"). There is in the literature no viable explanation for social evolution. It is a very difficult subject because there exist such a large list of variables.

    I came out a long time ago with the book, "The Cycle of Civilization" because I was totally disgusted with what had been written on the subject before. I never stopped working on the subject since. . .

    charles, http://humanpurpose.simplenet.com
    Brough,
    civilization-overview (dot) com

    --------------------
    There are no accidents, just someone taking too much risk. . . (CB)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19 Lost Star of Myth & Time 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2
    I've read Walter Cruttendens LSofM&T, and it is worth reading.

    If you are closed minded, smug and unwilling to even consider new theories, then there is no use reading it.

    If on the other hand, you are inquisitive & looking for unique ideas, at least somewhat based on current science, then give it a try.

    Astrophysicists and Cosmologists, 25 years ago, would have scoffed and
    ridiculed some of the latest ideas about the nature of the universe.
    Some say, that the 15 billion or so Light Years that we deal with in science
    currently, is just a very very small vista on an even Grander and unbelievable universe that is beyond our telescopes and instruments.
    The point is that what yesterday was considered just conjecture, is now
    found to be true, when viewed from a different perspective.

    Cruttenden throws out some other possibilities on how earth may be influenced by a possible object intertwined with the travel of our solar system. It has major implications if proven evidence comes to light.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Bachelors Degree charles brough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    joplin MO USA
    Posts
    425
    I assume Truth Seeker has aimed that at me! I am always accepting the concensus of astrophysicists and cosmologists who, or course, know more about the origin and processes of our universe. I would never think of contradicting them as it is their field and they know an incredibly lot more about it than I do. What I am closed to is a world of speculative, poorly thought out, religiously biased-based social theory present in the social sciences. I recognize it and reject it. I don't know whether you know what of the contradicting theories to accept or reject yourself, but I suspect you do not . . . Otherwise, you would be "closed" to them and hence, .. .

    charles, http://humanpurpose.simplenet.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by charles brough
    I assume Truth Seeker has aimed that at me! I am always accepting the concensus of astrophysicists and cosmologists who, or course, know more about the origin and processes of our universe. I would never think of contradicting them as it is their field and they know an incredibly lot more about it than I do. What I am closed to is a world of speculative, poorly thought out, religiously biased-based social theory present in the social sciences. I recognize it and reject it. I don't know whether you know what of the contradicting theories to accept or reject yourself, but I suspect you do not . . . Otherwise, you would be "closed" to them and hence, .. .

    charles, http://humanpurpose.simplenet.com
    OK, so if you don't mind, elaborate on the "world of speculative, poorly thought out, religiously biased-based social theory present in the social sciences."

    Actually, I did not "aim" my first post at you.
    I was just making a general comment to anyone on this thread.
    I don't know why you would think it was only aimed at you specifically.

    TS
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •