Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Science costing or saving life?

  1. #1 Science costing or saving life? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5
    Science has advanced radically in the last 200 years and continues to do so, in the spectrum of science ,taking into account all of its compartments and influences, for the greater benefit of man, has the work that has been achieved in science saved lives or cost lives?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Well just look at the population growth at the moment! Also, the average age of death has gone up quite a lot in this period, even in first world countries.


    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,377
    Both, on one side youve got the advances in medicine and surgical techniques, in the other the advances in better ways of killing man in battle
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5
    Right! We also have to take into account, polution, man made disease. How can we attribute population growth to science are you saying human beings live longer.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by jonourd
    Right! We also have to take into account, polution, man made disease. How can we attribute population growth to science are you saying human beings live longer.
    Of course. Live longer, die less easily, make more healthy babies. Our net numbers are increasing, so we're adding more people than we're losing.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    Quote Originally Posted by jonourd
    Right! We also have to take into account, polution, man made disease. How can we attribute population growth to science are you saying human beings live longer.
    so we're adding more people than we're losing.
    yeah, too many
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5
    Well if that's the case, too many, so science has created a problem with sustainability, the more us the more we need the less we have......... implosion etc.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor captaincaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by jonourd
    Well if that's the case, too many, so science has created a problem with sustainability, the more us the more we need the less we have......... implosion etc.
    well improved health and stability of countries does have a massive part to play in population growths, but that is not the only reason, look to certain african countries with population explosions and average life expectancy in the 40's

    Whats the alternative, stop scientific discoverys and allow disease to find its own population level?
    CAPTAINCAVEMAN


    I ANSWER TO NO-ONE - The wonders of athiesm

    that which does not kill us only postpones the inevitable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonourd
    Well if that's the case, too many, so science has created a problem with sustainability, the more us the more we need the less we have......... implosion etc.
    well improved health and stability of countries does have a massive part to play in population growths, but that is not the only reason, look to certain african countries with population explosions and average life expectancy in the 40's

    Whats the alternative, stop scientific discoverys and allow disease to find its own population level?
    Well here is a good point, Africa is absolutley riddled with HIV/AIDS, potentially a man made disease can't be sure but its origins have reputedly been led back to the lab. For all our science droughts a re prevalent world wide mainly due to pollution. In no way am I saying remove science from our lives but the application of it seems to be as responsible for the loss of life as it is for the preservation of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    The reason overpopulation is a problem is not science, its bureaucracy.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11 Re: Science costing or saving life? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by jonourd
    Science has advanced radically in the last 200 years and continues to do so, in the spectrum of science ,taking into account all of its compartments and influences, for the greater benefit of man, has the work that has been achieved in science saved lives or cost lives?
    I can only tell you that every morning I wake up I kiss the ground in thanks to all that science has done for me. My very life has been handed to me time and again by the dedicated individuals that have worked so hard before me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    792
    What seriously???
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    What seriously???
    Well, no. - - - - But I should!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    792
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    57
    Yes and No
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •