Notices
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Food and drink is bad for you.

  1. #1 Food and drink is bad for you. 
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,540
    In a week when I've learned drinking sugary drinks can cause cancer, then what else is bad for you?
    Long given up on bananas (radioactive), meat and eggs (risk of heart attack), processed foods, white bread. List seems to go on forever.

    Even water isn't safe.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325038.php

    What are your views on this?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    79
    My view is do not make dietary decisions based on headlines. Read the actual studies!
    Bananas are not dangerous...


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,222
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    In a week when I've learned drinking sugary drinks can cause cancer, then what else is bad for you?
    Long given up on bananas (radioactive), meat and eggs (risk of heart attack), processed foods, white bread. List seems to go on forever.

    Even water isn't safe.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325038.php

    What are your views on this?
    I ignore the sensationalist headlines and look at meta studies on the topic.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,540
    It seems any study of any food and drink can reveal they are bad for you.
    Alcohol is both good for and bad for you. Today I learn up to a pint of beer a day can help prevent dementia.

    We have been told in the last few days we need to sleep at least 7 hours a night to also help prevent mental illness, by a government that has encouraged the 24/7 economy.

    Remember the advice that sitting is bad for you and standing is good.
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...9.2017.1420825
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,911
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    In a week when I've learned drinking sugary drinks can cause cancer, then what else is bad for you?
    Long given up on bananas (radioactive), meat and eggs (risk of heart attack), processed foods, white bread. List seems to go on forever.

    Even water isn't safe.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325038.php

    What are your views on this?
    The Daily Mail (the epitome of this sort of tragic reporting) once published an issue with a headline on one page saying "Chocolate Causes Cancer" and a few pages later "Chocolate Cures Cancer". This idiocy doesn't seemed to have slowed their rate of nonsense generation.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,540
    The Daily Hate wants to be loved.
    Are you saying they can't change their mind? That's why the message was quickly changed.

    What 'scientists' come up with these studies?
    Are they 5th rate ones who just want to be noticed?

    Meanwhile, indulge in guilty pleasures.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...al-health.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,222
    Its not the scientists that have issues. Its news reporters who dont at all understand limited direct studies are NOT the same as large meta studies. your news sources are Crap.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Moderator Moderator Janus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,197
    Let's take the "radioactive" bananas as an example. This is based on the idea that a certain percentage of Potassium that occurs naturally is in the form of a radioactive isotope, and everyone knows that bananas are high in Potassium.
    However, the Potassium isotope isn't very radioactive and has a long half-life ( the longer the half-life, the fewer atoms of any given sample will decay within a fixed time frame.) In order to ingest enough of this isotope to increase your risk of death by even one part in a million would require eating 1000 bananas in a sitting.
    Nor can you assume eating a lot of bananas over a lifetime would have an accumulative effect. This is because Potassium is an important element in the proper operation of our bodies. As such, the body regulates its potassium levels. Excess Potassium won't be stored, but will be removed through normal waste disposal. Ergo, no matter how many bananas you eat over a lifetime, you are not going to build up a store of the radioactive isotope as it will remain pretty close to being a constant through out your life.

    Besides that, the daily recommended intake of Potassium is between 3500-4700 mg, while a single banana only has 470 mg. So a banana a day only supplies you with ~13% of the lower value of the amount you need to keep healthy.
    Avoiding Potassium due to the risk of radioactivity is like avoiding drinking liquids due to the risk of drowning; You'd be doing more harm than good.
    "Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feelings for the strength of their argument.
    The heated mind resents the chill touch & relentless scrutiny of logic"-W.E. Gladstone


    Edit/Delete Message
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,911
    Quote Originally Posted by ox View Post
    The Daily Hate wants to be loved.
    Are you saying they can't change their mind? That's why the message was quickly changed.
    It is nothing to do with "changing their mind" (I don't think they have one between them). It was just their desire for outrageous headlines at any cost. Even if it means making things up.

    What 'scientists' come up with these studies?
    Are they 5th rate ones who just want to be noticed?
    The problem is not the science, it is the morons who write for "newspapers" like the Daily Mail

    Meanwhile, indulge in guilty pleasures.
    The forum software ought not to allow links like that.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,540
    If the Hate gets it wrong, then what about this?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ad-health.html

    Having established that sitting and standing is bad for you, be also aware of this.
    https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...e21324503.ece1
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,222
    Why exactly do you regard the hindu business line as a good source for science?
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1
    Drinks are particularly harmful for us When you drink liquid calories, your brain doesn't appear to register them as food and your systems get disturb.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,297
    What drinks do you mean? Are they as bad as not drinking? Do you have any evidence for your, frankly, daft statement?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan452 View Post
    Drinks are particularly harmful for us When you drink liquid calories, your brain doesn't appear to register them as food and your systems get disturb.
    Cite your source....
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,747
    Spammer. He's gone now.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman unknown_artist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    99
    I am not sure ,whether we are permitted to state our personal ideas or approaches under this thread.first,I will wait the forum's relevant leader's comment and then might state my claim.however,I have a different portrait in generality generating techniques so,I willl unfortunately be unable to give all explanations/details before publishing in relevant journals,we are already waiting decisions from somewhere.taken conditional acceptance from one journal and work on revisions.as stated ,it is correct that we still do not have published scientific materials ...and we think that it is a risk for us now to give all the explanations here or somewhere like herein relevant topic scurrently under this thread,yes we also (particularly ) agree to title and content. but not all foods and beverages are harmful.now this is the consistence of our response (waiting editor's comment)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,911
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown_artist View Post
    I am not sure ,whether we are permitted to state our personal ideas or approaches under this thread.first,I will wait the forum's relevant leader's comment and then might state my claim.however,I have a different portrait in generality generating techniques so,I willl unfortunately be unable to give all explanations/details before publishing in relevant journals,we are already waiting decisions from somewhere.taken conditional acceptance from one journal and work on revisions.as stated ,it is correct that we still do not have published scientific materials ...and we think that it is a risk for us now to give all the explanations here or somewhere like herein relevant topic scurrently under this thread,yes we also (particularly ) agree to title and content. but not all foods and beverages are harmful.now this is the consistence of our response (waiting editor's comment)
    Do you want to try that again in English?
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Freshman unknown_artist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown_artist View Post
    I am not sure ,whether we are permitted to state our personal ideas or approaches under this thread.first,I will wait the forum's relevant leader's comment and then might state my claim.however,I have a different portrait in generality generating techniques so,I willl unfortunately be unable to give all explanations/details before publishing in relevant journals,we are already waiting decisions from somewhere.taken conditional acceptance from one journal and work on revisions.as stated ,it is correct that we still do not have published scientific materials ...and we think that it is a risk for us now to give all the explanations here or somewhere like herein relevant topic scurrently under this thread,yes we also (particularly ) agree to title and content. but not all foods and beverages are harmful.now this is the consistence of our response (waiting editor's comment)
    Do you want to try that again in English?
    Of course.one of my articles is approved to be published with major corrections (of course in english)
    Last edited by unknown_artist; September 7th, 2019 at 06:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,222
    You havent stated ANYTHING yet.

    Please just get to the point without all the waffling about.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Is Microwaved Food Bad For Your Body?
    By hadams in forum Physics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 7th, 2014, 07:31 AM
  2. GM food - Good or bad?
    By bk2020 in forum In the News
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: May 4th, 2014, 01:09 AM
  3. Dog food, I mean "Human food" for people?
    By Japith in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 1st, 2013, 11:48 PM
  4. food webs and food chain
    By crackstein in forum Biology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM
  5. Mac did a bad, bad thing...hard drive problems
    By MacGyver1968 in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 13th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •