After years of loyal service my household wooden spoon has been thrown out. It has been accused of harbouring germs and so is to be replaced by a plastic type. I thought this was quite unnecessary since a) we mostly used it for stirring food cooking in a hot pan and b) scratched plastic surfaces hide germs as well. A quick search on the net revealed that it is mostly thought that plastics are better but some people say wood (especially pine) is in fact more resistant to bacteria.
So where do your loyalties lay? Does clinging to your old wooden spoon present a health risk or is it all just spin to promote these plastic moulded usurpers?