Notices
Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: Dupuytren's Contracture

  1. #1 Dupuytren's Contracture 
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    4,316
    Now that I've dealt with cancer I'm going to deal with a problem that's also been around for the last couple years. As for the title, the disease caused my Pinkie finger on the right hand to curl inward. There's a very obvious cord just under the skin of my palm that is tightening.

    https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/...topic-overview

    I don't smoke anymore ( going on 35 years), haven't had a drink in 5 years ( no heavy drinking in 30 years prior), don't have epilepsy or any form of diabetes. So I'm putting it down as hereditary. They call it Viking's Disease because most common in Northern Europe. I have Irish and Ukranian blood. No one in immediate family has it but I'm the oldest of 7.

    Have read of an injection that might work and there's always surgery. First surgeon consultation in October. Anyone else ever experienced this who might want to share?


    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    Now that I've dealt with cancer I'm going to deal with a problem that's also been around for the last couple years. As for the title, the disease caused my Pinkie finger on the right hand to curl inward. There's a very obvious cord just under the skin of my palm that is tightening.

    https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/...topic-overview

    I don't smoke anymore ( going on 35 years), haven't had a drink in 5 years ( no heavy drinking in 30 years prior), don't have epilepsy or any form of diabetes. So I'm putting it down as hereditary. They call it Viking's Disease because most common in Northern Europe. I have Irish and Ukranian blood. No one in immediate family has it but I'm the oldest of 7.

    Have read of an injection that might work and there's always surgery. First surgeon consultation in October. Anyone else ever experienced this who might want to share?
    Yup I started getting it in my left hand about 15 years ago when I was in my late forties. It stopped progressing when I gave up sculling (I have been an oarsman most of my adult life). There is an op for it know but I never needed that. I have over the years since stretched that hand out flat every day, (when I have a bath I can lean back with the palm down and put some weight on it) and now I no longer notice it. But mine was between palm and 4th finger not 5th, i.e. one of the rowing fingers.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    4,316
    Exchem: I wish I could flatten palm but too advanced. I can still hold a golf club. 25 years ago I had this fleshy pad develop on my palm right below my little finger knuckle joint, I always thought it was a callus. It never bothered me and I was always able to move fingers freely. Did you get one of those?
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    Exchem: I wish I could flatten palm but too advanced. I can still hold a golf club. 25 years ago I had this fleshy pad develop on my palm right below my little finger knuckle joint, I always thought it was a callus. It never bothered me and I was always able to move fingers freely. Did you get one of those?
    Yup. I think that sort of thing is an early sign. Also a sort of bump of hard skin on one or two knuckles. I gather these things tend to occur together. The condition is also called Old Man's Claw and is associated with frozen shoulder, which I have also had, on both sides.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,846
    That is new to me. I get contractions from time to time in one or other of my fingers (also the toes) which I just assume are cramps.

    I imagine they are common but I don't actually know anyone else who gets them as I haven't asked or even gone into it at all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by geordief View Post
    That is new to me. I get contractions from time to time in one or other of my fingers (also the toes) which I just assume are cramps.

    I imagine they are common but I don't actually know anyone else who gets them as I haven't asked or even gone into it at all.
    No this is a permanent state in which thickening of the palm of the hand pulls the tendons that work the fingers so that the fingers can no longer be straightened.

    In fact it is interesting. The palms of the hands and the fingers, ditto equivalent areas on feet and toes, have a special construction attaching the skin to the underlying muscle etc. Anywhere else on the body, the skin can move relative to the underlying tissue. But on the hand and feet it is fixed in position so that we can grip things. Dupuytren's Contracture happens when something goes wrong with this fixing structure.

    I have read that plumbers get it (from holding pipes all the time). I got mine through sculling on the river (pulling on the oar handle), I am fairly sure, as it has not progressed since I stopped. However I'm not sure if this is medical orthodoxy or just a suspicion on the part of sufferers. And then it occurred to me that this may also be what people are really referring to when they talk of Wanker's Cramp!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,846
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geordief View Post
    That is new to me. I get contractions from time to time in one or other of my fingers (also the toes) which I just assume are cramps.

    I imagine they are common but I don't actually know anyone else who gets them as I haven't asked or even gone into it at all.
    No this is a permanent state in which thickening of the palm of the hand pulls the tendons that work the fingers so that the fingers can no longer be straightened.

    In fact it is interesting. The palms of the hands and the fingers, ditto equivalent areas on feet and toes, have a special construction attaching the skin to the underlying muscle etc. Anywhere else on the body, the skin can move relative to the underlying tissue. But on the hand and feet it is fixed in position so that we can grip things. Dupuytren's Contracture happens when something goes wrong with this fixing structure.

    I have read that plumbers get it (from holding pipes all the time). I got mine through sculling on the river (pulling on the oar handle), I am fairly sure, as it has not progressed since I stopped. However I'm not sure if this is medical orthodoxy or just a suspicion on the part of sufferers. And then it occurred to me that this may also be what people are really referring to when they talk of Wanker's Cramp!
    Did you ever do that thing when you were asked to grip something tightly for a good while, release it gently and then get someone to stroke your hand gently ?

    You are then told you cannot move your hand as it has been paralysed...

    (we also ,as children used to crouched down ,count to 100 holding our breath and then jump up suddenly. Fainting ensued )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    ox
    ox is offline
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,146
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    4,316
    Frustrating at times. Can't clap, shake hands or even wash up properly without noticing the handicap. In my early employment years I worked as a gas fitter so working with wrenches and pipe was an everyday experience. Perhaps I damaged hand then, don't know if I could ever prove it. Going to ask doc if this is classed as a disability and maybe I'll get a tax break, available to citizens of Ontario. Right now its only my little.finger and I hope it doesn't get worse. Other fingers seem ok. But I'm right handed so it is an annoyance.

    Thanks Exchem for the skin/hand explanation.

    Ox: have read several articles on this and should be well prepared when I meet surgeon. Personally I hope the injection works for me. But most articles stress that the skill of the surgeon and the guy with the needle are paramount. I suppose I could live without the pinkie if things go south
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •