Notices
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Explain SMR (Standardized Mortality Ratio)

  1. #1 Explain SMR (Standardized Mortality Ratio) 
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    592
    I don't quite get the concept. I realize that you multiply the number by 100% and that is your mortality percentage compared to the average person or something? I'm not sure how I apply that.

    So if the mean life expectancy of people in my demographic would normally be 80 years, but something happens that increases my SMR to 1.63, what would my life expectancy be? Is there a way to equate SMR directly with life expectancy. Thanks.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    281
    It means if you take two groups, one smoking and one non-smoking, and you noticed an SMR of 1.63 for lung cancer, it means you observe 63% more deaths from LC in the smoking group.


    I can never know I'm right, but I can know that I'm wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
    It means if you take two groups, one smoking and one non-smoking, and you noticed an SMR of 1.63 for lung cancer, it means you observe 63% more deaths from LC in the smoking group.
    So assuming it was an ample sample size, and assuming there weren't many mitigating factors, and assuming you could repeat the results, that observation would indicate that it is likely that a smoker has 63% chance of dying before the average age of death and only a 37% chance of outlasting it. Or would that be a fallacious conclusion?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    281
    It only refers to the existence of death, nothing to do with what age it occurs at. It's more appropriate for looking at difference in cause of death, not somebody's odds of making it to 80.
    I can never know I'm right, but I can know that I'm wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman crushmymugshot112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    20
    The SMR is used to compare the mortality risk of an study population to that of a standard population.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 5th, 2013, 08:27 PM
  2. Morbidity and Mortality Pattern in your country
    By favvy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 28th, 2012, 12:14 PM
  3. Ratio
    By john8 in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 29th, 2012, 10:16 AM
  4. Standardized tests are always stressful
    By Tyler05 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM
  5. Mortality is a matter of belief, not of fact
    By water in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: May 30th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •