Notices
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Can anyone debunk this myth? True or Fiction? (Milk gives cancer)

  1. #1 Can anyone debunk this myth? True or Fiction? (Milk gives cancer) 
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    931
    Why Drinking Milk Is Rocket Fuel For Cancer - YouTube

    I'm not sure if I can trust these stuff?

    What do you think?

    "Milk" page on Wikipedia has some mentioning on cancer.
    That youtube video has quite some likes as well...


    Quote Originally Posted by jocular View Post
    If thy right nipple offend thee, pluck it off! Goes for the other, too!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    931
    And also, are there any animals (other than humans) that drink other animal's milk?


    Quote Originally Posted by jocular View Post
    If thy right nipple offend thee, pluck it off! Goes for the other, too!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor scoobydoo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by RamenNoodles View Post
    And also, are there any animals (other than humans) that drink other animal's milk?


    Source

    Do you require more?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    ~ Do not consult U-Tube for science or medical advice .. I would be willing to wager no proofs of such a argument will be offered.
    I take my tea with milk and sleep well in the knowledge that 'Fontera'* have laboratory staff testing and probing every nuance of rumors spread.. If Milk were a risk to my or anyone's health. Do you think it would still be sold.. * Fontera is the largest producer of dairy products in the Southern Hemisphere.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Let us analyse what he has to say about milk.

    He states on his website:
    Wow, our parents and all of us through our childhood and still today are brainwashed on the benefits of drinking milk. In my opinion, the dairy industry’s commercials about how milk is supposed to do a body good is a crime and it couldn’t be further from the truth!

    Let’s get to the facts on why drinking milk is foundation to illness and disease including, sinusitis, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis and potentially cancer!
    (...) The dairy industry is a very powerful industry and has created the biggest hoax in our recent history, our conditioned brainwashing into thinking drinking milk is healthy and beneficial.

    There are four remarks I could give about this excerpt.
    First, it is solely based on two testimonials (from his mother and himself). Second, he uses two testimonials to scare people, as they put "Some Additional Scary Disgusting Facts about Drinking Milk" in their article. Next, he links to websites about chelation therapy, holistic medicine and he links to 'Dr.' Mercola. The fourth and most important remark is that none of his claims are linked to medical articles.

    Let us analyse what Wikipedia has to say about milk (bold mine):
    Numerous studies have found that conjugated linoleic acid, found mainly in milk, meat and dairy products, provides several health benefits including prevention of atherosclerosis, different types of cancer, and hypertension and improved immune function.(...)
    Several sources suggest a correlation between high calcium intake (2000 mg per day, or twice the US recommended daily allowance, equivalent to six or more glasses of milk per day) and prostate cancer.(...) A review published by the World Cancer Research Fund and the American Institute for Cancer Research states that at least eleven human population studies have linked excessive dairy product consumption and prostate cancer.(...)

    Not only do you have to drink high amounts of cow milk to have a higher chance of having prostate cancer,
    there is also no evidence that the brain and lung cancer of Russ' mother is due to drinking milk.
    Last edited by Cogito Ergo Sum; June 22nd, 2014 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    ~ Do not consult U-Tube for science or medical advice .
    what about consulting wikipedia for medical advice?
    wikipedia is written by the majority of strangers, who probably hosts these youtube channels as well.

    Just my opinion, Please don't rage over it. You can correct me if im missing something, like sources, perhaps.?
    Quote Originally Posted by jocular View Post
    If thy right nipple offend thee, pluck it off! Goes for the other, too!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,809
    what about consulting wikipedia for medical advice?
    wikipedia is written by the majority of strangers, who probably hosts these youtube channels as well.
    Wikipedia is an ok source for technical and scientific data, but other than basic info, I wouldn't use if for medical advice. Youtube is more than generally crank shit. Anybody with video camera can say anything and post it. You rely on it far too much.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    wikipedia is written by the majority of strangers, who probably hosts these youtube channels as well.
    But you don't see youtube videos being constantly edited, updated or revised by other users. Put up a completely wrong item and nothing happens to correct it unless the person who has the channel takes the thing down. Anyone who puts up another video to correct an error in someone else's video has to find a way to get people who view the wrong one to find their way to the correction.

    I realise that being involved in writing and editing wiki entries can be demanding and tedious, but at least there's opportunity for correction and revision. (Even if it's not timely or exactly orchestrated to meet everyone's needs.)
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Masters Degree DianeG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by RamenNoodles View Post
    And also, are there any animals (other than humans) that drink other animal's milk?
    True, but then they also don't cook vegetables, roast meat, make bread, and a lot of other things we do.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    So Mr Roman Noodles can you have the grace to admit that good science has given MILK properly prepared, is very good for us.. As part of a well balanced and nutrient rich diet.. You are making a fool of yourself here..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Masters Degree mat5592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    601
    Well it took me about five seconds to figure out he was just another crackpot, and once you get that far, you can just assume anything they say is a lie.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    931
    Dairy: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid It at all Costs - YouTube

    He gave some really good sources.

    I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by jocular View Post
    If thy right nipple offend thee, pluck it off! Goes for the other, too!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by RamenNoodles View Post
    He gave some really good sources.

    I think.

    Can you provide some of the sources he provided? I am not in the mood to watch videos.
    YouTube videos, blogs nor personal websites do not count as valid sources, so you do not have to provide those.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    Moo taboo view → woo.

    WARNING: Injecting hydrogen peroxide is insane and deadly. The use of hydrogen peroxide in our bodies can be likened to police discharging their weapons in our society. If done sparingly and carefully and for a specific purpose, it can have a beneficial effect. However, injecting hydrogen peroxide intravenously is like ordering groups of police officers to run around the streets shooting their guns repeatedly for no purpose and without aiming.

    PS Interesting he claims that milk is "rocket fuel"; actually, hydrogen peroxide is a rocket fuel.
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by RamenNoodles View Post
    Dairy: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid It at all Costs - YouTube

    He gave some really good sources.

    I think.
    " That you say 'you think' is looking doubtful."
    The bovine creature known commonly as a 'cow' produces a surplus of milk.. that after extraction it can be processed as to render it a food item of merit.. and as safe.. You have failed to apply common sense in your acceptance of what is rubbish.
    Do I need to remind you.. This is a science forum..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,840
    Longer Life For Milk Drinkers, Study Suggests -- ScienceDaily

    The reference above reports on a review study of the health effects of drinking milk. They include less heart disease. Less chance of stroke. Longer life.

    What is does not include is any increased risk of cancer.

    Drink milk and be healthier, and live longer.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
    Longer Life For Milk Drinkers, Study Suggests -- ScienceDaily

    The reference above reports on a review study of the health effects of drinking milk. They include less heart disease. Less chance of stroke. Longer life.

    What is does not include is any increased risk of cancer.

    Drink milk and be healthier, and live longer.

    As the article does not link to the original review, here it is: (Elwood, P.C., et al. (2008)).
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    984
    100 % of Cancer patients have a history of Milk drinking!!! (An example of how to lie with statistics) So do 100% of all people who die of anything. Wow, Virtually all humans have a history of drinking milk. Virtually all humans die. Coincidence ? I think Not!
    Milk is a generally safe food. Can it be over done? SUre it can. So can drinking water.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    286
    According to the statistics, 100% of people who have died, were alive at some point :3
    I can never know I'm right, but I can know that I'm wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Is cow's milk really healthy or is it a myth?
    By MOHANTHILAGARAJ in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 13th, 2012, 07:08 AM
  2. You can't prove a negative?True or myth?
    By ancaro12 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 24th, 2012, 07:14 AM
  3. Can Someone Debunk This?
    By garfoofafuffel in forum Biology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 16th, 2011, 11:49 AM
  4. Someone Debunk This Please!
    By garfoofafuffel in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 15th, 2011, 06:09 PM
  5. Warm milk and cold milk
    By Heinsbergrelatz in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •