Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bad Robot

Thread: For men on testosterone replacement therapy

  1. #1 For men on testosterone replacement therapy 
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    For those men who would like to have youthful testosterone levels again. This article is a response to those bad drug commercials on TV which are based on a flawed study. You just can't believe everything you see on TV. If you have any trouble accessing this web page let me know.

    Response To Media Reports Associating Testosterone Treatment With Greater Heart Attack Risk - Life Extension


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    You couldn't ask for a more biased assessment.

    They appear to be nothing more than another bunch of criminals and cranks - none of whom are actual scientists.


    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    You couldn't ask for a more biased assessment.

    They appear to be nothing more than another bunch of criminals and cranks - none of whom are actual scientists.
    The Life Extension Foundation is not a bunch of criminals and cranks. They presented facts to back up their claims and those claims made a lot of sense to me. But you are entitled to believe whatever you want to. Maybe you don't need higher T levels. High enough to actually give you better health. The problem is that because of faulty claims many men will not increase their T levels and gain better health. They did only address heart problems with this report. I think they should also have addressed the prostrate cancer issues which can get a lot worse with higher T levels.

    As always one must be aggressive in one's own health care and work with a doctor before making any decision about TRT.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    You couldn't ask for a more biased assessment.

    They appear to be nothing more than another bunch of criminals and cranks - none of whom are actual scientists.
    The Life Extension Foundation is not a bunch of criminals and cranks. They presented facts to back up their claims and those claims made a lot of sense to me. But you are entitled to believe whatever you want to. Maybe you don't need higher T levels. High enough to actually give you better health. The problem is that because of faulty claims many men will not increase their T levels and gain better health. They did only address heart problems with this report. I think they should also have addressed the prostrate cancer issues which can get a lot worse with higher T levels.

    As always one must be aggressive in one's own health care and work with a doctor before making any decision about TRT.
    Don't let me get in the way of you being suckered into a stupid heath scam.
    Go for it.

    What could possibly go wrong with taking drugs provided by non-medical people.
    You did notice their "medical" credentials, yes?
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Don't let me get in the way of you being suckered into a stupid heath scam.
    Go for it.

    What could possibly go wrong with taking drugs provided by non-medical people.
    You did notice their "medical" credentials, yes?
    First testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is a recognized medical treatment that many doctors subscribe to. The Life Extension Foundation is made up of lots of doctors and scientists. Most of the articles and reports they publish are written by doctors. Even though they sell a lot of supplements under their brand. The main TRT products are not. Next they don't recommend the use of these products outside of a doctors care.

    They provide statistics from testing that has been done by any credible source and they discuss their reasons for the positions they take in a way the average person has the best chance to understand. They expect you to take this new information and talk to your own personal doctor about it. You are making wrong statements about a company you know next to nothing about, and that is not like you, so what gives?

    Personally I believe in supplements in a well managed program. The LEF provides blood testing so that you can gain more knowledge about your own personal well being, above what your insurance is willing to pay for. Every nutrient your body needs, has an ideal blood level range that makes it most effective. Do you have any idea what those levels are and whether your own blood levels fall within the ideal ranges? Do you really believe you can maintain the most effective blood nutrient levels through just eating a balanced diet? How much do you really know about what and how much nutrients are in the regular food you eat? You can never know enough about it and it's constantly changing as new data is constantly coming in. It is a tough job trying to sort the hype from the real stuff, but just following government guidelines could leave you in bad shape, thinking your doing all you can. The government is very conservative to start with and they are very slow to change when new data indicates they should. I didn't start this topic to sell anybody, but to start a dialog on a subject that is of great concern to very many men. Do you feel your hormone levels are where they should be? Do you have any idea what they should be? If you find out they are low through blood testing, would you want to ask your doctor about it and maybe think about restoring healthier blood levels, just to see if your life can be improved by doing so?

    If you want to take a more active roll in your own health, you have to start somewhere. How would you suggest going about it? It's hard to make any decision unless you know more about your own state of health that you can only get by testing your blood and knowing the results.

    Example: You can't possibly know if you are deficient in vitamin D without the blood test. But you don't feel to bad and just ignorantly go on being deficient without giving it another thought. The minimum healthy blood level for vitamin D is 50 ng/ml. It's estimated that 80% of the US population is well below that level and it only gets worse as you get older and live in Northern climates. A whole range of medical problems are adversely affected by low vitamin D levels. Where's the AMA when you really need them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    First testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is a recognized medical treatment that many doctors subscribe to.

    Are they the same kind of doctors as the authors of the link you provided?
    Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine?
    As I said, don't let me get in the way of you being suckered into a stupid heath scam.


    I doubt you are involved in the business side of LEF, so I expect that you are simply displaying cognitive dissonance due to you already being a user of TRT.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    First testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is a recognized medical treatment that many doctors subscribe to.

    Are they the same kind of doctors as the authors of the link you provided?
    Doctors of Naturopathic Medicine?
    As I said, don't let me get in the way of you being suckered into a stupid heath scam.


    I doubt you are involved in the business side of LEF, so I expect that you are simply displaying cognitive dissonance due to you already being a user of TRT.
    Actually I'm not, I have prostrate cancer and part of the treatment is zero testosterone, otherwise known as chemical castration. I have to tell you I'm not a big fan of low-T. I've been told I'll need to be on this so called hormone treatment for about 2 years and that means about another year and a half. When I finally get off this treatment I may want to restore my testosterone to a decent level. So I'm not rushing into anything at this time. But I do have a lot of interest in this subject and I won't be limiting my thinking on what any one source says. Generally when I decide I want to try a new supplement I look at products from 3 or 4 different companies, and go with the one supplying the ingredients I want for the lowest cost. I usually start with 1 to 3 months supply to give me enough time to evaluate any positive, negative or no effect that it has had on me.

    If you are interested here's there web page on prostrate cancer.

    Prostate Cancer - PSA, HPC, Colon - Life Extension Health Concern
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    Actually I'm not, I have prostrate cancer and part of the treatment is zero testosterone, otherwise known as chemical castration. I have to tell you I'm not a big fan of low-T. I've been told I'll need to be on this so called hormone treatment for about 2 years and that means about another year and a half.
    That's a fucker and a half.
    You have my sympathies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    When I finally get off this treatment I may want to restore my testosterone to a decent level. So I'm not rushing into anything at this time. But I do have a lot of interest in this subject and I won't be limiting my thinking on what any one source says. Generally when I decide I want to try a new supplement I look at products from 3 or 4 different companies, and go with the one supplying the ingredients I want for the lowest cost. I usually start with 1 to 3 months supply to give me enough time to evaluate any positive, negative or no effect that it has had on me.
    That is a sensible approach (and I would also suggest asking your oncologist - which you may have already done).

    But seriously, if the involvement of naturopathic practitioners doesn't sound alarm bells to you, then I fear you will fall prey to shysters.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    That's a fucker and a half.
    You have my sympathies.

    That is a sensible approach (and I would also suggest asking your oncologist - which you may have already done).

    But seriously, if the involvement of naturopathic practitioners doesn't sound alarm bells to you, then I fear you will fall prey to shysters.
    I never expect supplements to cure anything I already have. But they can assist my body in getting a better response to the treatment I'm getting from my doctors and I can't help wondering if I would even have this problem at all if I was properly supplemented much earlier in life. Anyway I somewhat lucked out in being here at this time because I got the use of a state of the art radiation machine, which I found out there are only 3 of them installed in the Western US. Just because they are available doesn't mean hospitals are rushing out to buy them. They are very expensive. Anyway I had 45 days or 9 weeks of treatments and am gratefully glad I'm done with that phase of my treatment. For the first 5 weeks of that treatment they used a 4 inch aperture, so there was some collateral damage most noticeable in the lower bawl. Then they switched to a 2 inch aperture for the last 4 weeks and that helped a great deal. My urologist told me I probably had the cancer for the last 10 years, but that it finely reached a point where I needed to make a decision. If I did nothing he said I'd only get about another 5 to 7 years of life. I decided I wanted more than that.
    RedPanda likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. replacement theory
    By prajith KK in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 19th, 2013, 01:13 PM
  2. Neuron Replacement & a Troubling Thought
    By markashley in forum Biology
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: February 6th, 2013, 10:14 AM
  3. Lifestyle and Testosterone
    By gcourtois in forum Biology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 26th, 2012, 09:03 AM
  4. CO2 replacement of the steam turbine
    By DaS Energy in forum Mechanical, Structural and Chemical Engineering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 16th, 2012, 06:01 AM
  5. Replacement for the current peer review system
    By ufcarazy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 5th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •