Notices
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By bio
  • 3 Post By Cogito Ergo Sum
  • 1 Post By bio

Thread: type one diabetes

  1. #1 type one diabetes 
    bio
    bio is offline
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    163
    hi everyone, i'm bored so i decided to make a thread

    is anyone aware of any promising clinical trials involving the treatment of juvenile diabetes?
    personally i believe it's a waste of time and resources to find a 'cure' for it and that effort should be put in to treating it and making it manageable.
    so does anyone know any wonder treatments or experimental techniques in treating this disease?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    Well, here's one approach using stem cells.

    In other words, we discovered that to cure type 1 diabetes, we need to repair the blood vessels that allow the subject's beta cells to grow and distribute insulin throughout the body.
    Adult stem cells could hold key to cure type 1 diabetes

    And another ....

    This trial aims to calm the immune system in children who are autoantibody positive but have not yet developed type 1 diabetes, by putting their own stored umbilical cord blood back into their systems.
    Diabetes and Stem Cells

    And they're not the only ones. Stem cells may not be the single best research avenue, but there are several quite promising lines of research there. Who knows? Stem cell research might lead to other discoveries, like the blood vessel problem in that first item, which could lead to other positive research possibilities in drug or other treatments.


    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    bio
    bio is offline
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    163
    interesting, i'd like to know more about this drug he's talking about though because the activity of major histocompatibility complete- restricted T lymphocytes determines the immune systems destruction of the insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreases and i don't see what 'repairing' the blood vessels will do other than not restricting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Masters Degree mat5592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    601
    I haven't read anything about any "cures" recently, but I did just read some research that would make treatment more practical. As you know, Type 1 Diabetics currently have to inject insulin subcutaneously to reduce their blood glucose levels, but this research aims to provide an effective oral route of administration.

    Basically, they took advantage of the neonatal FcRn receptor in the intestinal epithelium. This is the same receptor that mediates IgG endocytosis in infants, which allows the antibodies from the mother's breast milk to protect the baby until its immune system is capable of protecting itself. They just coated insulin-containing nanoparticles with the Fc fragment specific to the FcRn receptor and voila, insulin administered orally.

    Sign In
    You will probably need to use you university's database to access the research.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    bio
    bio is offline
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by mat5592 View Post
    I haven't read anything about any "cures" recently, but I did just read some research that would make treatment more practical. As you know, Type 1 Diabetics currently have to inject insulin subcutaneously to reduce their blood glucose levels, but this research aims to provide an effective oral route of administration.

    Basically, they took advantage of the neonatal FcRn receptor in the intestinal epithelium. This is the same receptor that mediates IgG endocytosis in infants, which allows the antibodies from the mother's breast milk to protect the baby until its immune system is capable of protecting itself. They just coated insulin-containing nanoparticles with the Fc fragment specific to the FcRn receptor and voila, insulin administered orally.

    Sign In
    You will probably need to use you university's database to access the research.


    this is really old

    they had oral sprays however it didn't really catch on
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Masters Degree mat5592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    601
    Really old? The research was published two weeks ago.

    Perhaps there was a reason the oral sprays have yet to catch on. Limited availability, ineffectiveness, I don't know, but I do know the vast majority of diabetics would much rather swallow a pill than inject themselves if they had the opportunity.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    bio
    bio is offline
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by mat5592 View Post
    Really old? The research was published two weeks ago.

    Perhaps there was a reason the oral sprays have yet to catch on. Limited availability, ineffectiveness, I don't know, but I do know the vast majority of diabetics would much rather swallow a pill than inject themselves if they had the opportunity.
    a product was on the market a while ago. also there are both pro's and con's to using oral insulin instead of needles or pumps
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    bio
    bio is offline
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    163
    Ascended likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    who sees through things
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK now, US before
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by bio View Post
    personally i believe it's a waste of time and resources to find a 'cure' for it and that effort should be put in to treating it and making it manageable.
    Why?

    Just looking at things from a financial standpoint, in the long run it's more cost effective to treat something once than to have to repeatedly treat the same condition over and over (e.g. giving yourself insulin shots, frequently monitoring glucose levels, etc. - insulin, syringes, pumps and diabetic supplies aren't free, BTW.)

    It's also better for overall quality of life.

    Do you really believe this or are you just trying to provoke debate?

    Instead of wasting time developing vaccines, we could wait till people come down with diseases and then treat them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2
    Guys You have Diabetes Type 1 or 2 or 3?.Incurable you say? why look far away when the treatment is simple and 'natural'?
    I am 65 years old and do NOT suffer from diabetes.Yet both my father and mother had diabetes and indirectly died of it because of later complications. The Secret is simple !!!!.I know that Diabetes is a malfunction of the Pancreas.I reasoned that the best way to get cured is to cure the Pancreas and the best way to cure the pancreas is to stimulate or massage it. So starting every morning when I wake up I sit on my bed or chair with feet 45 cm apart.I lean my abdomen forward nearly horizontally.I push the tips of my 4 fingers (spread out)of each hand against my belly just below the ribs and level with the navel . My hands are thus squeezed between my thifhs and ribs.The thumb is resting on my ribs,the forefinger near the navel and the little finger pressing against my kidney.I try to get as deep as possible.Then I make the come here sign with the 8 fingers and release every second as if I am squeezing everything inside the bowels.This will stimulate the Pancreas, Spleen, Liver,Kidneys etc.
    I do this 120 times (4 x 30) making a pause after each 30 times. I repeat another 2 sessions at midday and in the afternoon. That is it. Why not try it the moment it is Free?Good luck.
    Several roads lead to Rome
    Last edited by clyder8; January 11th, 2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: adding more explanations
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by clyder8 View Post
    Guys You have Diabetes Type 1 or 2 or 3?.Incurable you say? why look far away when the treatment is simple and 'natural'?
    I am 65 years old and do NOT suffer from diabetes.Yet both my father and mother had diabetes and indirectly died of it because of later complications. The Secret is simple !!!!.I know that Diabetes is a malfunction of the Pancreas.I reasoned that the best way to get cured is to cure the Pancreas and the best way to cure the pancreas is to stimulate or massage it. So starting every morning when I wake up I sit on my bed.I push the tips of my 4 fingers of each hand against my belly just below the ribs and level with the navel . I try to get as deep as possible.Then I make the come here sign with the 8 fingers and release every second as if I am squeezing everything inside the bowels.This will stimulate the Pancreas, spleen, liver etc.
    I do this 120 times (4 x 30) making a pause after each 30 times. I repeat another session in the afternoon. That is it. Good luck.

    Why would you accept the findings of hundreds of scientific papers and the advice offered by multiple health organisations and the treatments prescribed by trained professionals, when you can follow the anecdote of an anonymous individual on the Internet and demonstrate genuine gullibility?

    You need more than "I have found a treatment for diabetes!" to convince others.
    adelady, bio and bio like this.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    bio
    bio is offline
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Bing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bio View Post
    personally i believe it's a waste of time and resources to find a 'cure' for it and that effort should be put in to treating it and making it manageable.
    Why?

    Just looking at things from a financial standpoint, in the long run it's more cost effective to treat something once than to have to repeatedly treat the same condition over and over (e.g. giving yourself insulin shots, frequently monitoring glucose levels, etc. - insulin, syringes, pumps and diabetic supplies aren't free, BTW.)

    It's also better for overall quality of life.

    Do you really believe this or are you just trying to provoke debate?

    Instead of wasting time developing vaccines, we could wait till people come down with diseases and then treat them.
    we don't have the necessary 'advancment of technology' to provide a cure. it's quite possible in the future but right now i think it's best to provide treatments for it rather than playing around with genes (which is still in it's early stages)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    bio
    bio is offline
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clyder8 View Post
    Guys You have Diabetes Type 1 or 2 or 3?.Incurable you say? why look far away when the treatment is simple and 'natural'?
    I am 65 years old and do NOT suffer from diabetes.Yet both my father and mother had diabetes and indirectly died of it because of later complications. The Secret is simple !!!!.I know that Diabetes is a malfunction of the Pancreas.I reasoned that the best way to get cured is to cure the Pancreas and the best way to cure the pancreas is to stimulate or massage it. So starting every morning when I wake up I sit on my bed.I push the tips of my 4 fingers of each hand against my belly just below the ribs and level with the navel . I try to get as deep as possible.Then I make the come here sign with the 8 fingers and release every second as if I am squeezing everything inside the bowels.This will stimulate the Pancreas, spleen, liver etc.
    I do this 120 times (4 x 30) making a pause after each 30 times. I repeat another session in the afternoon. That is it. Good luck.

    Why would you accept the findings of hundreds of scientific papers and the advice offered by multiple health organisations and the treatments prescribed by trained professionals, when you can follow the anecdote of an anonymous individual on the Internet and demonstrate genuine gullibility?

    You need more than "I have found a treatment for diabetes!" to convince others.
    no doubt that maintaining a healthy lifestyle, exercising etc helps, however he is wrong in thinking that is as simple as he suggests
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by bio View Post
    we don't have the necessary 'advancment of technology' to provide a cure. it's quite possible in the future but right now i think it's best to provide treatments for it rather than playing around with genes (which is still in it's early stages)

    Is it correct to state that the standard treatment for diabetes type I is an insulin therapy?
    Or are there alternative medical treatments?
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    bio
    bio is offline
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bio View Post
    we don't have the necessary 'advancment of technology' to provide a cure. it's quite possible in the future but right now i think it's best to provide treatments for it rather than playing around with genes (which is still in it's early stages)

    Is it correct to state that the standard treatment for diabetes type I is an insulin therapy?
    Or are there alternative medical treatments?
    everyone is different, there are loads of alternative treatments for different patients. i made this thread to discuss the alternative treatments and if anyone knows any recent ones
    Cogito Ergo Sum likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Masters Degree mat5592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by clyder8 View Post
    Guys You have Diabetes Type 1 or 2 or 3?.Incurable you say? why look far away when the treatment is simple and 'natural'?
    I am 65 years old and do NOT suffer from diabetes.Yet both my father and mother had diabetes and indirectly died of it because of later complications. The Secret is simple !!!!.I know that Diabetes is a malfunction of the Pancreas.I reasoned that the best way to get cured is to cure the Pancreas and the best way to cure the pancreas is to stimulate or massage it. So starting every morning when I wake up I sit on my bed.I lean my abdomen forward.I push the tips of my 4 fingers (spread out)of each hand against my belly just below the ribs and level with the navel . The thumb is resting on my ribs,the forefinger near the navel and the little finger pressing against my kidney.I try to get as deep as possible.Then I make the come here sign with the 8 fingers and release every second as if I am squeezing everything inside the bowels.This will stimulate the Pancreas, Spleen, Liver,Kidneys etc.
    I do this 120 times (4 x 30) making a pause after each 30 times. I repeat another session in the afternoon. That is it. Why not try it the moment it is Free?Good luck.
    I can sincerely tell you that this is not why you didn't get diabetes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    Is it correct to state that the standard treatment for diabetes type I is an insulin therapy?
    Or are there alternative medical treatments?
    For Type 1 diabetes, it's insulin or death.

    For Type 2, it depends on the individual and their metabolism. Some people can do the weight reduction, healthy diet and lifestyle thing and need no medication at all. Others will always need some medication/s and may finish up needing regular insulin.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    bio
    bio is offline
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    163
    an alternative for insulin for people with type 2 is metformin. this pretty much helps the body to produce the insulin.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.
    By Jenniferhele in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
  2. Insulin and diabetes
    By emetzner in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
  3. A HOT Cure for Diabetes
    By erich in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 1st, 2007, 01:50 AM
  4. Diabetes
    By DaBOB in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 10th, 2006, 12:34 AM
  5. Diabetes. Type 1
    By goodgod3rd in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 31st, 2006, 09:22 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •