Notices
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jocular
  • 1 Post By jocular

Thread: The Body's Heat

  1. #1 The Body's Heat 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,771
    The thought struck me today as I pondered the calorie value of something I often drink, that the tissues of the body are likely creating some heat during processing of nourishment other than oxygen, but locally, as in the liver, many compounds, like alcohol, for example, are processed into other compounds, with the generation of heat, before being routed elsewhere or discarded.

    Might then, despite great flow of blood into and out of the liver, it's internal temperature be always higher than normal body temperature? Trying to solve my imponderables before they get buried with me! jocular


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by jocular View Post
    The thought struck me today as I pondered the calorie value of something I often drink, that the tissues of the body are likely creating some heat during processing of nourishment other than oxygen, but locally, as in the liver, many compounds, like alcohol, for example, are processed into other compounds, with the generation of heat, before being routed elsewhere or discarded.

    Might then, despite great flow of blood into and out of the liver, it's internal temperature be always higher than normal body temperature?
    I read in some source years ago and source forgotten that the human body puts out about ten calories of heat per pound. By comparison, the Sun puts out about 1 calorie of heat per pound.
    I do not know if it is accurate and although it doesn't quite relate to the O.P., I throw it out there to either be confirmed or refuted as a Fun Fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by jocular View Post
    Trying to solve my imponderables before they get buried with me! jocular
    Put it off as long as you can.
    Before you get buried, you still need to discuss building live steam locomotives, as well. If you die- I'm stealing your brain, wiring it to a computer and extracting all I can.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    ......Put it off as long as you can.
    Before you get buried, you still need to discuss building live steam locomotives, as well. If you die- I'm stealing your brain, wiring it to a computer and extracting all I can.
    Conniving ba....d! Still, I'll be glad to do just that, if anyone else will listen! jocular







    Neverfly likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 It Runs! 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,771
    Neverfly likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: May 21st, 2012, 11:16 AM
  2. Brain to body or body to brain communication question?
    By Whataday in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: November 15th, 2010, 01:20 PM
  3. heat
    By numb3rs in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM
  4. Heat limit: highest heat
    By chamilton333 in forum Physics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 30th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •