Notices
Results 1 to 51 of 51
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By sallyjoseph
  • 1 Post By Alec Bing
  • 3 Post By sculptor
  • 1 Post By Strange

Thread: Drug to suppress dreams?

  1. #1 Drug to suppress dreams? 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,136
    Which are the most potent drugs now which are able to suppress dreams?
    It is claimed that those who smoke cannabis do not commonly see any dreams.
    Is it known which exacly chemical in cannabis has this effect? Those cannabiates
    which also cause narcotic effect or something different?


    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley514 View Post
    Which are the most potent drugs now which are able to suppress dreams?
    It is claimed that those who smoke cannabis do not commonly see any dreams.
    Is it known which exacly chemical in cannabis has this effect? Those cannabiates
    which also cause narcotic effect or something different?
    I have never heard anything like this before, who claims this? If you cannot suppress sleep for very long in the real world, how can you suppress dreams? What would the purpose be?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,136
    I wached movie ``Nightmare on elm street`` and they used some hypothetical drug which calls
    ``hypnocil`` to suppress dreams of children.I know that this drug is fictious but I became interested
    in this question.It is well known fact that for example smoking cannabis could seriously suppress dreams.
    Brain wave analisis shows that weed smokers still have REM sleep but it goes more slowly than usual,
    and there is some differences from normal state.Maybe this is why they do not remember their dreams.
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...eep-and-dreams
    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    Maybe this is why they do not remember their dreams.
    I never remember my dreams when I'm in good health unless I'm startled awake for some reason. The only dreams I remember are the nightmares I get if I'm feverish - and that's clearly a function of disturbed/inadequate sleep in the first place.

    If people remember no dreams from sleeping after taking some drug or other, maybe they just sleep like a log as I do. I know some people sleep better with fewer dreams when taking some anti-anxiety medications - but I can't recall where/when I read that.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    984
    Most people dream every time they sleep but very many can't remember their dreams. People who say they don't dream really are people with poor memory for their dreams. Dreams can be detected , even if not remembered, by monitoring eye movement as the sleeper "watches the dream". Experiments in which sleepers were awakened when REM sleep started and thus were deprived of dream sleep showed serious negative effects, including visual hallucinations while awake. Dreams are necessary to normal mental functioning. A number of sedative drugs interfer with REM sleep. This is, at least partially, what people are experienceing when they complain that sleeping pills don't produce "restful " sleep.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    This is, at least partially, what people are experienceing when they complain that sleeping pills don't produce "restful " sleep.
    Yes. And it's also the reason why people are so tired after sleeping when they were (a bit) drunk. Alcohol interferes with 'proper' REM sleep in much the same way as some other drugs apparently. So the fact that people appear to sleep deeply for a long time after a night's drinking doesn't necessarily mean that they're well-rested.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3
    I don't believe that there exists any drug that suppresses dreaming. Certain psychotropics--e.g. anti-depressants, antipsychotics, anxiolytics--have been linked to particularly vivid or unusual dreams, but no suppression activity as far as I'm aware.

    Our understanding of dreams and dreaming is still very rudimentary; certainly REM states are associated with dreaming, but the exact neurochemical mechanisms are as yet poorly understood (though I'd be willing to bet endogenous tryptamines like DMT or some polysubstituted variety thereof play some role in the sensory experience of dreams). Until that underlying chemistry is better known, we have no good foundation for a rational drug design targeting dream activity. Barring some out-of-the-blue, serendipitous discovery, it'll be a while before anyone will be getting a prescription for a dream suppressant.

    Anyway, dreaming is likely a necessary--or at least important--phenomenon that, if suppressed, may prove problematic. Truth be told, I've read conflicting studies regarding the physiological role of dreaming, so I don't know exactly what to think with respect to how important dreaming actually is.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12
    The most commonly recommended medicines for emotional and mental disorders affect dreams—usually through their effects on sleep. Under healthy situations sleep turns-on when activity levels of acetylcholine increase and activity levels of biogenic amines decrease. It is therefore not surprising to find that drugs that increase cholinergic activity generally tend to increase dream recall and REM sleep. People on nicotine patch say they are dreaming more and that their dreams have become vivid and intense. Currently available treatments for Alzheimer's Disease (rivastigmine, donepezil, memantine and galantamine) are all fundamentally designed to increase forebrain cholinergic activity. All of these medicines have been associated with reports of increased dream recall and more vivid dreaming.
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Alcohol
    Alprazolam
    Amitriptyline
    Amphetamine
    Atenolol
    Brompheniramine
    Carbamazepine
    Clomipramine
    Clonazepam
    Clonidine
    Clorgyline
    Cyclazocine
    Cyproheptadine
    Desipramine
    Doxepin
    Ethosuximide
    Fenluramine
    Fluoxetine
    Guanafacine
    Heroin
    Hyoscine
    Indalpine
    Ketanserin
    Levodopa
    Lithium
    Maprotiline
    Methadone
    Methyldopa
    Methylphenidate
    Metoclopramide
    Metoprolol
    Mianserin
    Midazolam
    Morphine
    Nomifensine
    Nortriptyline
    Pargyline
    Pemoline
    Phenelzine
    Phenobarbital
    Phenytoin
    Pindolol
    Prolintane
    Propanolol
    Scopolamine
    Selegiline
    THC
    Triazolam
    Triprolidine
    Viloxazine
    Zimelidine

    source: Principles of Polysomnography" by "William Spriggs, BS, RPSGT" pg 185, under Suppressed REM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,136
    I've heard that many people who were blind all their life do not see a dreams in pictures. Still they may have REM sleep. I'm interested to know if there exist some substances which first all make person unable to see some dreams in which dreamer experience some visual, auditory or tactile experiences and not necessarily suppress REM sleep. If I no make mistake REM sleep is not strictly associated with visual dreams. Am I right?
    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Ph.D. Raziell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    927
    All I know is that vitamin B6 and Magnesium increases dreaming. Source: Bodybuilding supplement which I dont remember the name of was said to increase dreaming. I called bullshit but after having started using it I dream almost every night and very vividly. The main ingridients in the supplement are vitamin B6 and magnesium, so Im guessing those are the ones that has the effect.
    A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it. - David Stevens
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,136
    I called bullshit but after having started using it I dream almost every night and very vividly.
    So, in order to see less dreams they are better to avoid. But what about almost complete dreams (not REM) suppress?
    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    Just lower stress levels, exercise, food, meditation, etc. My dreams get increasingly vivid as I get more stressed, even at times to the point I hallucinate while fully conscious.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    who sees through things
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK now, US before
    Posts
    269
    Ok. This is my area of expertise. First of all, there are a whole bunch of drugs that reduce REM sleep. (See IronFantom's list.) However, REM sleep and dreaming are two different things, although they overlap quite a bit. REM sleep originates in the brainstem and dreaming originates in the frontal regions of the brain and is associated with dopamine production. We know this from studies of REM sleep in humans and in non-human animals and in studies of REM sleep and dreaming in brain-damaged humans. So stopping REM sleep will not necessarily stop dreaming.

    REM sleep is also necessary for mental health. It is important for formation of long-term memories and lack of REM sleep causes memory problems and inability to learn and to concentrate. In addition, if you don't get enough REM sleep, when you get a chance to catchup, you will experience REM rebound, where you have more REM sleep than normal. (Common when you go off REM-suppressing drugs; just part of the withdrawal.) This can even mean hallucinating when you are awake, if the withdrawal is really bad. So I wouldn't mess with it.

    If you are experiencing night terrrors, these do not take place during REM sleep and are completely different from normal dreams.

    There is a correlation between excess REM sleep and depression; people who are depressed get more REM sleep than normal. However, as far as I know, it is only a correlation. We don't know if excess REM sleep causes depression or maybe the brain is creating more REM sleep to try to fix things.

    By the way, I think the way scientists study REM sleep deprivation in rats is cool. They put two rats in a flowerpot thingy in water and hook them together. One of them has electrodes attached and when that one goes into REM sleep, both of them get knocked into the water and are awakened. However, since the two rats have different sleep cycles, as individual animals, when the control rat is awakened, it can be in any sleep stage. This way, both rats have an equal amount of sleep deprivation overall, but only one rat is particularly REM-sleep-deprived. That way you can tell if the memory loss, learning problems, etc. are caused by REM sleep deprivation or just normal sleep deprivation. Great setup, in my opoinion.
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    984
    prazosin (minipress) is used to suppress disturbing dreams in persons with PTSD. However there are significant side effects, including waking hallucinations, and it would need to be priscribed by an MD, and used under medical care.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Why would anyone want to suppress dreams?
    shlunka, Alec Bing and babe like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    656
    People who don't remember dreams can be vitamin B deficient too.
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,136
    Ok. This is my area of expertise. First of all, there are a whole bunch of drugs that reduce REM sleep. (See IronFantom's list.)
    Which HERBS beside Marijuana are capable to do it?
    However, REM sleep and dreaming are two different things, although they overlap quite a bit.
    But as I understand there is no substances known which would suppress only dreaming but not REM?
    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Professor pyoko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,094
    The drug is called Hypnocil. But it is experimental and only used in horror movies.
    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    who sees through things
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK now, US before
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    prazosin (minipress) is used to suppress disturbing dreams in persons with PTSD. However there are significant side effects, including waking hallucinations, and it would need to be priscribed by an MD, and used under medical care.
    Prazosin actually increases REM sleep (which probably explains the waking hallucinations) which people with PTSD don't get enough of. REM sleep has a role in reducing anxiety.

    I agree that the question to ask is why the OP wants to repress dreams and then deal with that issue instead.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,131
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    Maybe this is why they do not remember their dreams.
    I never remember my dreams when I'm in good health unless I'm startled awake for some reason. The only dreams I remember are the nightmares I get if I'm feverish - and that's clearly a function of disturbed/inadequate sleep in the first place.

    If people remember no dreams from sleeping after taking some drug or other, maybe they just sleep like a log as I do. I know some people sleep better with fewer dreams when taking some anti-anxiety medications - but I can't recall where/when I read that.
    I once dreamed everyone I knew in cartoon characters!! OF THEMSELVES! I do not always remember my dreams. Some do tend to linger however.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    who sees through things
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK now, US before
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post

    If people remember no dreams from sleeping after taking some drug or other, maybe they just sleep like a log as I do. I know some people sleep better with fewer dreams when taking some anti-anxiety medications - but I can't recall where/when I read that.
    Why would you associate remembering fewer dreams with sleeping better? Dreaming always makes me feel mentally refreshed. If for some reason I don't remember any dreams, I feel out of sorts and like I haven't gotten a proper night's sleep, even if I have been physically unconscious for a decent amount of time. Even if it's a bad dream, I find it very cathartic when I wake up; it's a nice, harmless way to get a lot of anxiety or anger out of my system.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,911
    I'm with adelady on this. I assume I dream (multiple times?) every night. And I assume those dreams fulfil whatever function they do. The only time I remember dreaming is if my sleep is disturbed (presumably so that I am (partly) woken during a dream). And then I wake up feeling less refreshed than if I slept through without remembering anything.

    About the only thing worse than remembering your own dreams is having someone else tell you theirs!
    babe likes this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    who sees through things
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK now, US before
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I'm with adelady on this. I assume I dream (multiple times?) every night. And I assume those dreams fulfil whatever function they do. The only time I remember dreaming is if my sleep is disturbed (presumably so that I am (partly) woken during a dream). And then I wake up feeling less refreshed than if I slept through without remembering anything.

    About the only thing worse than remembering your own dreams is having someone else tell you theirs!
    Well, then the reason you feel less refreshed is because your sleep was disturbed, not because you remember your dream.

    I'm curious if you wake up to an alarm clock or you get up naturally. When waking naturally, it's common to wake during REM sleep (there's even a theory that says that REM sleep evolved as a way to ease the transition from unconsciousness to consciousness) with a dream fresh in your memory. If you allow your natural circadian rhythm to wake you, you are going to feel more refreshed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Bing View Post
    Well, then the reason you feel less refreshed is because your sleep was disturbed, not because you remember your dream.
    Exactly, and that is also (I assume) the reason for remembering the dream. So there is a correlation between remembering dreams and not feeling refreshed because they have a common cause.
    When waking naturally, it's common to wake during REM sleep (there's even a theory that says that REM sleep evolved as a way to ease the transition from unconsciousness to consciousness) with a dream fresh in your memory.
    When I wake naturally, I am never aware of having just been dreaming. When I am woken by an alarm, or something else, then sometimes I am aware I was dreaming. Although I am rarely aware of what the dream was about - that may be because I never pay any attention to, or try to recall dreams, as they are just stupid.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    I generally sleep very poorly and suffer from some level of sleep apnea, but I also very seldomly (is seldomly a word? Always puts up a spelling error?) remember my dreams.

    I also have a very hard time waking up. Normal alarms don't cut it. I even for a time had a microphone over the clock radio plugged into my sound system and set close to max. Even that failed to work much of the time.


    I am inclined to think that remembered dreams are usually the ones you dream while close to waking. That doesn't preclude a good night's sleep AFAIK.



    [OT]I have had some of the weirdest dreams though. While playing in a chess tournament once, the whole night I dreamt nothing but strategy. No pictures, no people in the dream, just strategy and nothing coherent I might add. I have had quite a few of those kinds of dreams where the whole thing is made up of concepts alone, sometimes weird, contorted, indescribable ones. [/OT]
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,131
    The day I wake up w/o an alarm clock my husband will have a parade down Main Street, to cite a MIRACLE HAS OCCURRED>
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    who sees through things
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK now, US before
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    [ So there is a correlation between remembering dreams and not feeling refreshed because they have a common cause.
    Yes.



    When I wake naturally, I am never aware of having just been dreaming. When I am woken by an alarm, or something else, then sometimes I am aware I was dreaming.
    Everyone is different and sleep cycles are different.

    Although I am rarely aware of what the dream was about - that may be because I never pay any attention to, or try to recall dreams, as they are just stupid.
    Yes. I think people who remember their dreams tend to think they are important and make an effort to remember them.

    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    I generally sleep very poorly and suffer from some level of sleep apnea, but I also very seldomly (is seldomly a word? Always puts up a spelling error?) remember my dreams.

    I also have a very hard time waking up. Normal alarms don't cut it.
    My guess is that because of your sleep apnea you are just not getting enough sleep.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Bing View Post
    Yes. I think people who remember their dreams tend to think they are important and make an effort to remember them.
    That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that as a corollary of what I said. Even if they don't deliberately make an effort to remember, they may thing, "I must tell X about that.." and then they will rehearse (and quite possibly alter) the story many times before they recount it.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    If I know what time it is when I turn off the light, I can always wake up within 5 minutes of my desired time.
    Usually, I'll sit up about 5 minutes before my desired time.
    Unless, my wife sets her alarm for a time before I want to awaken(say-5 am), then I'll try to go back to sleep untill 6, and may sleep in till 7 or 8.

    Often, a dream I'm enjoying may turn frustrating just before I awaken.(sad that it turned sour, but happy to be out of it)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley514 View Post
    Which are the most potent drugs now which are able to suppress dreams?
    It is claimed that those who smoke cannabis do not commonly see any dreams.
    Is it known which exacly chemical in cannabis has this effect? Those cannabiates
    which also cause narcotic effect or something different?
    I have a lot of trouble with dreams. When I dream I wake up feeling depressed and I have a lot of anxiety. I had to reach out for help and my psychiatrist had me start taking Seroquel (generic name - Quetiapine Fumarate) and I am taking 300 Mg each night at bedtime. It has made a world of difference. I rarely have a dream anymore and when I do remember having one the drug keeps me from waking up feeling depressed and having anxiety. It was getting to the point that I could hardly function and it made me kind of understand why people get feeling so bad they take their lives. I probably would have taken my life at some point if it had not been for my belief in God. He is the only reason I got through it until He directed me to the doctor that took care of the problem. I am so thankful that we have a God that loves us and helps us when we are going through valleys. You may not believe in God but He has done so many great things to keep me going that I firmly believe in the God of Issac, Jacob and Abraham. NO ONE can do anything to change my belief in God. If you don't want to believe that is your right but I know that all of us will have to stand before our God upon leaving this life and I plan on following God's way and being ready. Even if there was no God following the way of the Bible and the New Testament Church would make everyones life much better. The command to "Love your neighbor as yourself" if everyone followed it the world would be so different. There would be no wars, killings, crime. If everyone just followed that command and got along it would be so different. But because sin entered the world everyone is more into worshipping themselves then God. And every country just can't be happy with what they have and want to attack all other countries. There is no reason for that except for the sin in mans hearts. But it is easy to be pure and free from sin by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ and repenting and turning from sin. Every day in the city I live in, Kansas City, KS, there are so many killings it is sad that the Bible gives the answer but so many people want to live for themselves and not for the Lord.
    Well I was just going to share about my dreams and the medicine I take but I kind of just could not stop. It is like the Lord put all these words in my head to write here.
    Everyone have a blessed day.
    John
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,746
    Quote Originally Posted by john5049 View Post
    I am so thankful that we have a God that loves us and helps us when we are going through valleys.
    Unsupported by any evidence. In fact; contradicted by much of the available evidence.

    You may not believe in God but He has done so many great things to keep me going
    Nope.
    Your belief may have kept you gouing, but there's nothing whatsoever to indicate "god" did it.

    If you don't want to believe that is your right but I know that all of us will have to stand before our God upon leaving this life
    On other words "you can not believe if you want and I'm not going to quibble, except to say you're wrong".
    (And you do NOT know - you believe: there's a crucial difference).

    But because sin entered the world everyone is more into worshipping themselves then God.
    Bull.

    And every country just can't be happy with what they have and want to attack all other countries.
    Bull.

    There is no reason for that except for the sin in mans hearts. But it is easy to be pure and free from sin by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ and repenting and turning from sin.
    Bull and... bull.

    It is like the Lord put all these words in my head to write here.
    Then it's a pity "he" wasn't more rational in "his" arguments.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,131
    I wish I could wake up w/o an alarm clock. I just don't! My husband wakes up about the same time EVER day. Then again our clocks are different...as my clock seems to be more geared to productivity at night.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,136
    Here is an interesting article on condition when a person lost her ability to see the dreams, but still has REM sleep. Dream centre' of the brain found What I would be glad to know: do you think it's principally possible to create a chemical that would affect only ability to see the dreams but not even REM or any other serious brain functions?
    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    New Member Phaewryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    4
    I am on Amitriptyline 25mg, Zolpidem 2.5mg, Temazepam 15mg, and Prazosin 2mg nightly, and STILL dreaming. I'd give anything to make it stop. Considering illegal drug use. I used to be on Amitriptyline 25mg, Zolpidem 10mg, and Temazepam 15mg, before adding the PTSD drug as a trial in an attempt to lower my Zolpidem dependence (I was eating in my sleep and gaining weight and I wanted to try to stop that as it was really hurting my body and dangerous to cook while "basically unconscious"), but I'm still having nightmares so badly that I put off going to sleep, sometimes skipping days, and I'm exhausted, basically, trying to avoid the dreaming. So, there's MY reason for wanting to search out drugs to stop dreaming. I had a bad reaction to Seroquel, Risperidal, and Abilify. I was previously on Valium and Hydroxyzine at various points. The Valium helps a lot, but no-one will prescribe Valium, Zolpidem, and Temazepam together, so... I sit here just exhausted from sleep deprivation simply to avoid the endless onslaught of my own consciousness in my sleep. I HATE SLEEPING, MY DREAMS SUCK. Sometimes, admittedly, I get blackout drunk, it works, I don't remember my dreams. But I also don't want to die a drunk, and hangovers make life pretty sucky too. I just want something that stops the dreaming. PLEASE. I want to be sedated into mush every night, and have only darkness, no consciousness, no dreams, no suffering, horrible, terrifying, traumatic, pointless DREAMS. Please make suggestions. I'm seriously considering giving up and asking to re-up the Zolpidem again. The problem is, I need more and more to continue to get the heavy sedation effect I need to not dream (or not remember dreaming, not waking up and remembering dreams). I'm a 130lb female, and it takes Zolpidem 10mg and Temazepam 15mg to even make me fall asleep, without medication I just don't get to sleep (it takes days before I actually get tired enough to fall asleep), and when I do it's only for 4-5 hours. The Amitriptyline 25mg is for a non-related medical condition to prevent migraine syndrome (it was disabling before discovering that miracle cure drug). I also take as needed for pain Cyclobenzaprine and Tramadol for "fibromalgia". Basically, no-one can believe I require SO MUCH sedation (although I've been in two psych wards and one sleep study and it's clearly documented to be the case), and that I live a perfectly normal waking life after it wears off in 7-9 hours every morning when prescribed. I have been diagnosed as Bipolar, but I take that with a grain of salt, as I had reactions to all the drug trials and had to discontinue them early. Depakote made me suicidal (I'm not, wasn't then), and Lithium made me physically so disabled my quality of life wasn't worth living anymore (incontinence, falling, tremors, etc).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaewryn View Post
    I am on Amitriptyline 25mg, Zolpidem 2.5mg, Temazepam 15mg, and Prazosin 2mg nightly, and STILL dreaming. I'd give anything to make it stop. Considering illegal drug use. I used to be on Amitriptyline 25mg, Zolpidem 10mg, and Temazepam 15mg, before adding the PTSD drug as a trial in an attempt to lower my Zolpidem dependence (I was eating in my sleep and gaining weight and I wanted to try to stop that as it was really hurting my body and dangerous to cook while "basically unconscious"), but I'm still having nightmares so badly that I put off going to sleep, sometimes skipping days, and I'm exhausted, basically, trying to avoid the dreaming. So, there's MY reason for wanting to search out drugs to stop dreaming. I had a bad reaction to Seroquel, Risperidal, and Abilify. I was previously on Valium and Hydroxyzine at various points. The Valium helps a lot, but no-one will prescribe Valium, Zolpidem, and Temazepam together, so... I sit here just exhausted from sleep deprivation simply to avoid the endless onslaught of my own consciousness in my sleep. I HATE SLEEPING, MY DREAMS SUCK. Sometimes, admittedly, I get blackout drunk, it works, I don't remember my dreams. But I also don't want to die a drunk, and hangovers make life pretty sucky too. I just want something that stops the dreaming. PLEASE. I want to be sedated into mush every night, and have only darkness, no consciousness, no dreams, no suffering, horrible, terrifying, traumatic, pointless DREAMS. Please make suggestions. I'm seriously considering giving up and asking to re-up the Zolpidem again. The problem is, I need more and more to continue to get the heavy sedation effect I need to not dream (or not remember dreaming, not waking up and remembering dreams). I'm a 130lb female, and it takes Zolpidem 10mg and Temazepam 15mg to even make me fall asleep, without medication I just don't get to sleep (it takes days before I actually get tired enough to fall asleep), and when I do it's only for 4-5 hours. The Amitriptyline 25mg is for a non-related medical condition to prevent migraine syndrome (it was disabling before discovering that miracle cure drug). I also take as needed for pain Cyclobenzaprine and Tramadol for "fibromalgia". Basically, no-one can believe I require SO MUCH sedation (although I've been in two psych wards and one sleep study and it's clearly documented to be the case), and that I live a perfectly normal waking life after it wears off in 7-9 hours every morning when prescribed. I have been diagnosed as Bipolar, but I take that with a grain of salt, as I had reactions to all the drug trials and had to discontinue them early. Depakote made me suicidal (I'm not, wasn't then), and Lithium made me physically so disabled my quality of life wasn't worth living anymore (incontinence, falling, tremors, etc).
    You need to find someone who can help you!

    I certainly cannot.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    New Member Phaewryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post

    You need to find someone who can help you!

    I certainly cannot.
    I am under the care of many professionals. I came to the internet for ideas to suggest to those people.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaewryn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post

    You need to find someone who can help you!

    I certainly cannot.
    I am under the care of many professionals. I came to the internet for ideas to suggest to those people.
    My very best wishes for you.

    I am a person who finds great endorphins in a flower......or a newborn..or my husband responding to treatment....

    I truly wish you well.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    New Member Phaewryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post

    My very best wishes for you.

    I am a person who finds great endorphins in a flower......or a newborn..or my husband responding to treatment....

    I truly wish you well.
    Thank you. I hope to someday find the miracle mix of chemicals. I find great beauty in things in my waking life. My life is very happy. It is my sleeping state that is bothersome.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaewryn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post

    My very best wishes for you.

    I am a person who finds great endorphins in a flower......or a newborn..or my husband responding to treatment....

    I truly wish you well.
    Thank you. I hope to someday find the miracle mix of chemicals. I find great beauty in things in my waking life. My life is very happy. It is my sleeping state that is bothersome.
    Maybe try something homeopathic...sometimes they work better..sometimes they don't but form the bottom of my heart, I hope you find it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    New Member Phaewryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Maybe try something homeopathic...sometimes they work better..sometimes they don't but form the bottom of my heart, I hope you find it.
    I would if my insurance covered it. I am low income, and simply can't afford to seek alternative medicine options.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaewryn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Maybe try something homeopathic...sometimes they work better..sometimes they don't but form the bottom of my heart, I hope you find it.
    I would if my insurance covered it. I am low income, and simply can't afford to seek alternative medicine options.
    I wish you well.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Forum Freshman StyxNyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    29
    WOW!! I take 3 of the meds listed here every night (alprozolam, nortriptyline, propranolol) and still dream just as much as before! Although, I'm not looking to suppress my dreams, I'm just here out of curiosity...and to learn.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,136
    There is a claim in Wikipedia that sufficient amount of Kava produces dreamless sleep.
    A potent drink results in a faster onset with a lack of stimulation; the user's eyes become more sensitive, the person soon becomes somnolent and then has deep, dreamless sleep within 30 minutes. Sleep is often restful and pronounced periods of sleepiness correlate to the amount and potency of kava consumed.
    Drug to suppress dreams?

    Could anyone who tried it confirm this effect?
    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,131
    why would you wish to suppress sleep?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Forum Freshman DogLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    89
    There are some medications that can help suppress dreams, however they are prescription only and not the typical sleep-related medications. I suspect you want to suppress nightmares related to some trauma. If so, you have post-traumatic stress disorder, a complex response to a severe, or series of severe, trauma of any kind. If so, I strongly encourage you to get a psychologist and psychiatrist experienced in treating PTSD. There are many things we (the medical profession) can do to help you heal from such a condition, or at least significantly improve the suffering someone has. If so, please get some help. It is out there.

    Clarissa
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,136
    I suspect you want to suppress nightmares related to some trauma.
    I do not think that I have trauma related nightmares. And I think it is against forum rules to switch to familiarity and user personalities. This is a general scientific discussion.
    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,131
    I used to dream that I would forget my lines and music before opening night!!

    NIGHTMARE
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    who sees through things
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK now, US before
    Posts
    269
    Many substances suppress REM sleep as an unintended side effect. Alchohol or sleeping pills will often do it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,136
    Many substances suppress REM sleep as an unintended side effect.
    Suppressing REM sleep and dreams is not necessary the same thing. It is easier to survive without dreams than without REM stage of sleep at all.
    Alchohol or sleeping pills will often do it.
    Rather rarely than often.

    Nonetheless some people report that sometimes they have dreamless sleep without any substance consumed. For example, some man describe that he went in sleep in a basement of his grandmother's house and seemingly woke up a few minutes later. When he checked time, 9 hours has passed. He described such type of sleep as very restful.
    Antislavery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    13,131
    I take a nightly muscle relaxant so I don't freeze up. I sleep great but damn do I have some weird dreams!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 7th, 2010, 07:47 PM
  2. How does heat suppress viruses?
    By Pong in forum Biology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: February 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM
  3. Dreams
    By SealOtter in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: March 17th, 2007, 12:18 PM
  4. Dreams
    By debol in forum Biology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 31st, 2006, 06:49 PM
  5. Dreams
    By LadyJava in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: February 27th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •