Notices
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Saturn
  • 1 Post By westwind
  • 2 Post By Sealeaf
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 1 Post By Lordknukle

Thread: Does money play into the kind of healthcare you get?

  1. #1 Does money play into the kind of healthcare you get? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57
    You guys, I have a mental illness and if money and say fame or politics plays into whether you have good doctors or not I really need help. I'm from freaking Charleston WV, yes WV. I've had the same delusion for a year and I just can't take it anymore. I've been on 10 meds over the past 2 years. Gained 60 lbs from them. Anyways, I'm thinking of going to the cleveland Clinic. If i can should I ?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Freshman Saturn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    84
    I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with a mental illness. Money can buy a lot of things, including good healthcare. However, I understand that there are a number of excellent clinics in this country that are designed to provide healthcare to patients who don't have insurance or a lot of money. There are also many medical professionals who will work hard and take care of ALL their patients, regardless of their socioeconomic status may be. If your current regimen of medicine isn't working or is causing intolerable side effects, then it is not unreasonable to reassess the value of what you're on, and look into modifying the dose of your medication or trying something else. You should absolutely discuss this with the clinician who is prescribing your medications before changing anything though. If you are dissatisfied with your current physician, it's never a bad idea to get a second opinion, or look for someone else to take over your care. If you think that the clinic in Cleveland you mentioned might have something better to offer, I definitely think you should see them if you're able to. Just remember that you have to advocate for yourself when navigating the healthcare system. Take notes at your appointments to help you remember what was discussed, never be afraid to ask as many questions as you want, and be sure to discuss all of your concerns with your doctor. If you feel you and your doctor have communications issues or that they are not properly addressing your concerns, try to find someone new. Best of luck to you, I hope you are able to manage your illness.


    westwind and Ascended like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    The Enchanter westwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,079
    Dear Saturn. Once again a constructive poste. I too sympathize with Paul Michael. I have many years behind me. Many contacts with the Medical System. Your advice is sound and I believe that Paul Michael would do well to read through it carefully and resolve to take some direct action. Work hard Paul Michael to help yourself, do not despair, do not give up, better your health by sheer persistance. westwind.
    Saturn likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    FAS
    FAS is offline
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMichael View Post
    You guys, I have a mental illness and if money and say fame or politics plays into whether you have good doctors or not I really need help. I'm from freaking Charleston WV, yes WV. I've had the same delusion for a year and I just can't take it anymore. I've been on 10 meds over the past 2 years. Gained 60 lbs from them. Anyways, I'm thinking of going to the cleveland Clinic. If i can should I ?
    I hope you will be able to recover from your mental illness. For one thing, it is not clear what mental illness you are suffering from. So it is not possible to give you a condition-specific recommendation for your problem.

    But here is what I advise you to do: consider trying natural medicine, or what is called 'alternative medicine'. There are people who have been on medications for a long time without any permanent improvements in their conditions. But when they tried a form of alternative medicine, their conditions would disappear. Consider the two following forms of medicine:

    1. Chinese medicine. It is really effective for different types of conditions. I would recommend you to try this first. You might also want to do some reading about this system of medicine. By the way, Chinese medicine has much more to offer than just acupuncture. Here is good website for information about this system: Acupuncture.Com - Home of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
    -You can search the website and enter the specific condition you are suffering from. The site also has a guide to licensed practitioners in the US. Check it out.

    2. Naturopathic medicine. This system of medicine tries to restore health using natural methods- including natural foods and herbs, and lifestyle changes like exercising.

    One thing to note is that alternative therapies cost much less than conventional therapies; they are also more effective and have a better probability of permanent resolutions to health conditions. They also have a much less risk of side effects than conventional drugs and medications. I really recommend you to consider them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by FAS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMichael View Post
    You guys, I have a mental illness and if money and say fame or politics plays into whether you have good doctors or not I really need help. I'm from freaking Charleston WV, yes WV. I've had the same delusion for a year and I just can't take it anymore. I've been on 10 meds over the past 2 years. Gained 60 lbs from them. Anyways, I'm thinking of going to the cleveland Clinic. If i can should I ?
    I hope you will be able to recover from your mental illness. For one thing, it is not clear what mental illness you are suffering from. So it is not possible to give you a condition-specific recommendation for your problem.

    But here is what I advise you to do: consider trying natural medicine, or what is called 'alternative medicine'. There are people who have been on medications for a long time without any permanent improvements in their conditions. But when they tried a form of alternative medicine, their conditions would disappear. Consider the two following forms of medicine:

    1. Chinese medicine. It is really effective for different types of conditions. I would recommend you to try this first. You might also want to do some reading about this system of medicine. By the way, Chinese medicine has much more to offer than just acupuncture. Here is good website for information about this system: Acupuncture.Com - Home of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
    -You can search the website and enter the specific condition you are suffering from. The site also has a guide to licensed practitioners in the US. Check it out.

    2. Naturopathic medicine. This system of medicine tries to restore health using natural methods- including natural foods and herbs, and lifestyle changes like exercising.

    One thing to note is that alternative therapies cost much less than conventional therapies; they are also more effective and have a better probability of permanent resolutions to health conditions. They also have a much less risk of side effects than conventional drugs and medications. I really recommend you to consider them.
    This is really horrible advice. Alternative medicine is neither "medicine" nor a viable "alternative". Modern, evidence based, medical practice is your safest and best option. It is not garranteed. Modern medicine can't cure every thing. The key phrase is "evidence based", alternative treatments universally are not evidence based but theory based. That is someone thinks, or has heard a story, that they might work. If there was real proof that they worked they would not be "alternative" but would be main stream medicine.
    skeptic and adelady like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    FAS
    FAS is offline
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FAS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMichael View Post
    You guys, I have a mental illness and if money and say fame or politics plays into whether you have good doctors or not I really need help. I'm from freaking Charleston WV, yes WV. I've had the same delusion for a year and I just can't take it anymore. I've been on 10 meds over the past 2 years. Gained 60 lbs from them. Anyways, I'm thinking of going to the cleveland Clinic. If i can should I ?
    I hope you will be able to recover from your mental illness. For one thing, it is not clear what mental illness you are suffering from. So it is not possible to give you a condition-specific recommendation for your problem.

    But here is what I advise you to do: consider trying natural medicine, or what is called 'alternative medicine'. There are people who have been on medications for a long time without any permanent improvements in their conditions. But when they tried a form of alternative medicine, their conditions would disappear. Consider the two following forms of medicine:

    1. Chinese medicine. It is really effective for different types of conditions. I would recommend you to try this first. You might also want to do some reading about this system of medicine. By the way, Chinese medicine has much more to offer than just acupuncture. Here is good website for information about this system: Acupuncture.Com - Home of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
    -You can search the website and enter the specific condition you are suffering from. The site also has a guide to licensed practitioners in the US. Check it out.

    2. Naturopathic medicine. This system of medicine tries to restore health using natural methods- including natural foods and herbs, and lifestyle changes like exercising.

    One thing to note is that alternative therapies cost much less than conventional therapies; they are also more effective and have a better probability of permanent resolutions to health conditions. They also have a much less risk of side effects than conventional drugs and medications. I really recommend you to consider them.
    This is really horrible advice. Alternative medicine is neither "medicine" nor a viable "alternative". Modern, evidence based, medical practice is your safest and best option. It is not garranteed. Modern medicine can't cure every thing. The key phrase is "evidence based", alternative treatments universally are not evidence based but theory based. That is someone thinks, or has heard a story, that they might work. If there was real proof that they worked they would not be "alternative" but would be main stream medicine.
    Alternative medicine is a growing field. There are patients and medical doctors who are losing faith in conventional medicine and also making alternative medicine their main system for healthcare.

    By the way, is there any reason for such an attack on alternative medicine? After being on 10 medications over the course of 2 years, Paul apparently has not seen any satisfactory results. So why not try something different? It might work for him. What has he got to lose by trying?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    What has he got to lose by trying?
    Time, for one thing.

    It's well-known that the success of psycho-active medications is extremely variable. And that's not just the pharmaceutical products, the very few herbal remedies are entirely unpredictable in their efficacy. And herbal is all that alt med has to offer in this area. As for the 10 medications over 2 years, I'd be a bit concerned without knowing any of the details. Many such drugs take as long as 3 months to have any effect at all, let alone lasting measurable impacts.

    My suggestion would be to take advantage of any professionally run program you can get to. Especially one that offers personal therapies and other support to go along with the medications. Psychoactive medications are not like antibiotics or cough medicine. You can't just get a script filled, swallow the pills and potions and expect predictable outcomes in specified time frames.

    The only 'alternative medicine' that works is not alternative at all. The alt med movement has appropriated recommendations for good diet, exercise, sleep and avoiding stress as alternative when it's been mainstream science based medical practice forever. (Along with the don't smoke, don't drink too much, keep vaccinations up to date advice.)

    But alt med recommendations can be especially pernicious for mental health problems. These conditions are sometimes self-limiting - principally depression following adverse life events, better known as grief, but many are very difficult to treat. And that difficulty is exacerbated the longer treatment is delayed - because the lifestyle and habits that can develop with such illness become entrenched. So the longer it's left, the more problems there are to deal with. The other issue is biological and hormonal issues underlying some mental health problems - thyroid, adrenal, diabetic, neurological or other problems can be the central cause of some mental health problems. You need proper doctors to do the needed blood and other tests to rule such questions in or out of consideration.
    skeptic likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    286
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,843
    I totally support what Adelady and Sealeaf say about alternative therapies. Most such therapies have never been scientifically tested, and operate on mere supposition. Of the few that have been properly tested, most failed the test.

    The most touted herbal remedy for mental illness is Saint John's Wort, which is supposed to be effective for mild depression. The results from proper testing, though, are problematic. Some tests show some mild benefit, but other tests show no benefit.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMichael View Post
    .... I've had the same delusion for a year ...
    Specifically: What delusion?
    .................
    2 years on meds, 1 year delusion?
    Is that accurate?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5
    Healthcare is a commodity- like any other item. It is to be bought and sold, not given away; of course money plays into the voluntary exchange of goods and services as it should.
    Saturn likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Play for Brains
    By oladitan in forum Education
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 28th, 2011, 06:38 PM
  2. American Healthcare System, Is it up to standard?
    By Charlie O'dwyer in forum Politics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: November 27th, 2010, 06:52 PM
  3. are advances in healthcare ethical?
    By Rusty2406 in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 30th, 2010, 10:35 PM
  4. Obama's Healthcare System
    By tdg2296 in forum Politics
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: January 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •