Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Can A Highly Compressed EMP Event Harm the Human Brain, or Animals With Perhaps Even Lower Levels?

  1. #1 Can A Highly Compressed EMP Event Harm the Human Brain, or Animals With Perhaps Even Lower Levels? 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Electromagnetic pulse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Harvard is doing some research on a new technique, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. They've had a good bit of success with it. They've been able to use a frequency controlled electromagnetic pulse with a small wand that affects the brain activity in certain areas. The results have ranged from enabling or disabling speech centers to stabilizing the gait in Parkinsons victims. The effects are short term, but the more the treatments are applied the longer the effect endures.

    I'm actually gonig to be doing some work with an Indy University to attempt something related to this as a possible means to incite nerve action in organs failing in MS victims. This still is not the main query here.

    This winter and last fall I was able to use a system of equations to from a crude prediction of significant solar flares. By significant I mean a flare that covers more than 1.5% of the sun's disk as we see it. This was spawned last June when we experienced a massive flare and the results seemed to produce a heat wave lasting for over a month. With this system, the last 4 flares I've predicted correctly, the next prediction for around the 19th of March. The point is this:


    My cat has been going into heat, completely out of synch and right around the flare of January 19th this year.. It's long been observed that solar flares tend to affect migraine sufferers and others with nerve disorders. My question is, if these flares can affect the cat and my significant other's migraines and MS, is it possible that an even more massive, and possibly even more compressed, EMP from the sun could harm human brains?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    SOHO EIT 304 Latest Image

    Her's a link to the SOHO site where we can see the flares. What's up there now is from a couple days ago. Sometimes they update it sooner. Point at this moment, is my neuropathy has been acting up the past couple days, a friend with hepres has complained of a breakout, my other half started getting a migraine yesterday and it's persisting today. Same happened last month around the 20th and earlier this month. The cat tends to be "bouncing off the walls" more during these times.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,221
    I'm going to go with confirmation bias, in the absence of any data.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I'm going to go with confirmation bias, in the absence of any data.
    Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    This is why I often leave a thread open to the experiences of others. What type of data do you think we are lacking here?

    I'm relating what's going on here. There may be others out there who suffer from various nerve disorders that go unaffected and others who see their animals acting normal. The Harvard research is a given.
    Last edited by HectorDecimal; February 23rd, 2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typos
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Transcranial magnetic stimulation - MayoClinic.com

    There's a link to Mayo Clinic and TMS
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,221
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    This is why I often leave a thread open to the experiences of others. What type of data do you think we are lacking here?
    A long term correlation of weather and solar flares to see if there is any meaningful relationship. This seems possible (e.g. by seeding cloud formation) but I would guess that any effect would be tiny.

    Similarly for cats and health. You would need to keep a diary of your (or your cats) symptoms. While avoiding any information about solar flares (the nearest we can get to blinding without a lot of complication). And then after, say, 12 months look for correlations.

    It is far too easy to have a bad day and then say that there was a solar flare that week (or the week before, or the week after ...) and forget the times when you felt bad but there were no solar flares or there were solar flares but you felt OK.

    Casual self-reporting is, basically, worthless. Look at all those people who think they are sensitive to WiFi access points, for example.

    The Harvard research is a given.
    Absolutely. I don't doubt that intense magnetic fields can have an effect on the electro-chemistry of the brain. I just doubt that solar flares would have any noticeable effect. Have you calculated the relative strengths of the fields involved.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HectorDecimal View Post
    This is why I often leave a thread open to the experiences of others. What type of data do you think we are lacking here?
    A long term correlation of weather and solar flares to see if there is any meaningful relationship. This seems possible (e.g. by seeding cloud formation) but I would guess that any effect would be tiny.

    Similarly for cats and health. You would need to keep a diary of your (or your cats) symptoms. While avoiding any information about solar flares (the nearest we can get to blinding without a lot of complication). And then after, say, 12 months look for correlations.

    It is far too easy to have a bad day and then say that there was a solar flare that week (or the week before, or the week after ...) and forget the times when you felt bad but there were no solar flares or there were solar flares but you felt OK.

    Casual self-reporting is, basically, worthless. Look at all those people who think they are sensitive to WiFi access points, for example.

    The Harvard research is a given.
    Absolutely. I don't doubt that intense magnetic fields can have an effect on the electro-chemistry of the brain. I just doubt that solar flares would have any noticeable effect. Have you calculated the relative strengths of the fields involved.

    I agree with all that. I have done a casual comparison and a bit of research online to look for other reports. Yes, in fact, it is a little soon to make any conclusions, but it is not unreasonable to place a post and hope some others offer some reports.

    A thread is likely not the best place to ask, still I've seen other threads in certain forums that are pretty much nothing but an environmental data blog. From those we can gather a lot of data. I have a biit of hope that may happen here.

    For what it's worth I've been making, as said, casual observations for several years. Still, we are back to the confirmation bias, versus the recorded data. Sometimes we even call it a "hunch." More than one effect or connection between eco-effectors has grown out of a hunch followed by observation. The Chandler Wobble is one such effect.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,937
    In theory, an EMP pulse can affect the human brain. In practise, it would have to be one hell of an EMP pulse! It is seriously, and I mean seriously, unlikely that a solar flare could do it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Solar Flares and Migraine Headaches

    I found a site not so long ago that listed some of the worst flares in history. Especially during the "Venus Fly by" in late 1800's, nerve disorders were reported as being agrivated.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Solar flare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    This wiki article in "Hazards" explains what we experience here during, especially, a massive solar flare.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    How strange. Do you experience migraines? Have you witnessed this phenomenon first hand? Does it matter where you are in the world?
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
    In theory, an EMP pulse can affect the human brain. In practise, it would have to be one hell of an EMP pulse! It is seriously, and I mean seriously, unlikely that a solar flare could do it.
    Like Strange said. It all needs more time and logged events. Currently I log events by taking a capture of the SOHO images on a particular day. Naming the file that day with a code and making notes in a text file. I only wish I'd started my observcations and this proicess last year about this time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana. Near Indy. On the top of the Eastern "buttcheek."
    Posts
    183
    A friend of mine asked me if I thought his Airstream RV would act as a shield. I told him it depended on how well sealed the vents and windows were. EMP tends to flow around constraining objects, just like it does around the granules and supergranules of the sun's photosphere.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Do animals understand Human Speech?
    By scoobydoo1 in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: May 20th, 2013, 05:04 AM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: June 16th, 2012, 02:29 PM
  3. Can an EMP damage the human brain?
    By Raziell in forum Biology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 26th, 2010, 07:41 PM
  4. Human Brain
    By Aeon in forum Biology
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: November 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM
  5. Human Brain
    By Ian12 in forum Biology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: April 2nd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •