Notices
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Osteoporosis

  1. #1 Osteoporosis 
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    I have a question considering osteoporosis. This disease is inheritable right? Well, how? My grandmother (on my mothers side) died of osteoporosis. My mother has very serious bone problems too.... Could I inherit this? Another reason I ask, my best friends mother has osteoporosis, she felt the first symptoms when she was about 12 years old. She's 44 now. Again, what are the odes that my friend gets it? And another thing. I know that now days there are better medicines for osteoporosis. Can anybody tell me more about them?


    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    There are some genetic disorders that can cause osteoporosis, usually it involves not being able to make bone properly in the first place. However, for most women the problem is that bone mass is determined hormonally (this is also why steroids can cause osteoporosis), the cells in your bone regularly break it down and rebuild it, and when women reach menopause it often causes increased risk to osteoporosis. The other common risk factor for women is that when your body is deficient in calcium, something that can happen in pregnancy, osteoclast break down the bone matrix to provide calcium to the body.

    As far as I know the best thing a woman can do is eat well and hope for the best, if it's a genetic problem there's not much else you can do. The medication can involve hormone replacement or just plain vitamins as far as I'm aware, I'm not qualified to speak to what medications are better or worse. However, if it runs in your family it seems perfectly reasonable to speak with a doctor about it.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    Wait, you say the bone mass is determined hormonally, does that mean that problems with thyroid gland can cause osteoporosis? Because, unfortunately I have a genetic predisposition for that (=_=)
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by JennLonhon
    Wait, you say the bone mass is determined hormonally, does that mean that problems with thyroid gland can cause osteoporosis? Because, unfortunately I have a genetic predisposition for that (=_=)
    Yes they can, but that's something you should speak to a doctor about if you have serious concerns.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    Yeah, I guess, but thank you anyway, it's a good thing to know =)
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    792
    there are some ununsual causes genetically of osteoporosis however I find it highly unlikely that someone would normally have any symptoms at the age of 12.

    Bone density increases until one is 30 when it reaches a maximum.
    It slowly declines for both genders from then on however, in women it takes a more dramatic drop off around menopause due to lowering oestrogen levels which explains the increased proportion of women who have the condition.

    Thyroid disorders can i the long term cause osteoporosis.

    The best measures u can take to prevent osteoporosis is to eat a balanced diet and to do some weight bearing exercises where the bone is stimulated to increase in density.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by JennLonhon
    Wait, you say the bone mass is determined hormonally, does that mean that problems with thyroid gland can cause osteoporosis? Because, unfortunately I have a genetic predisposition for that (=_=)
    NO, your thyroid gland is involved with metabolism. Your parathyroids are what affect bone calcium levels. Large populations, especially darker skinned populations have Vit D deficiencies. If you suspect a Ca2+ deficiency, please see an endocrinologist.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Re: Osteoporosis 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by JennLonhon
    I have a question considering osteoporosis. This disease is inheritable right? Well, how? My grandmother (on my mothers side) died of osteoporosis. My mother has very serious bone problems too.... Could I inherit this? Another reason I ask, my best friends mother has osteoporosis, she felt the first symptoms when she was about 12 years old. She's 44 now. Again, what are the odes that my friend gets it? And another thing. I know that now days there are better medicines for osteoporosis. Can anybody tell me more about them?
    this is ambiguous. what symptoms are you talking about? As a female, Growth Hormone, specifically IGF-1 is responsible for bone growth during puberty and adolescence. The most common cause of osteoporosis in elder females is aging, especially after menopause when estrogen levels significantly decline. Please see your physician and do not consult forums for advice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Abscess
    Quote Originally Posted by JennLonhon
    Wait, you say the bone mass is determined hormonally, does that mean that problems with thyroid gland can cause osteoporosis? Because, unfortunately I have a genetic predisposition for that (=_=)
    NO, your thyroid gland is involved with metabolism. Your parathyroids are what affect bone calcium levels. Large populations, especially darker skinned populations have Vit D deficiencies. If you suspect a Ca2+ deficiency, please see an endocrinologist.
    The parathyroid is what regulates blood calcium levels, but hyperthyroidism is linked to osteoporosis as well.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 osteoporsis 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    8
    I have this condition monitored at -4.1
    I have a dilemma because I seriously allergic to calcium from animal sources. I am looking for anyone who shares this problem. Many decades ago a doctor told me it is a common condition in asia but it was the first time she had encountered it in north america. At the time she countered it with B12 injections but now in my senior years, my current family doctor (nor any of her colleagues) have ever heard of anyone being poisoned by animal based calcium. I refer to milk, cheese, pills, etc. They bring on serious poisoning symptoms. sweating, difficulty breathing, bloating, and unbearable abdominal and chest pains
    I would seriously appreciate if anyone knows on any research in this area
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    That sounds like a caseine allergy maybe, but this is something to consult your physician about. It is certainly possible that you could be allergic, or intolerant, to stuff in cheeses, yogurt, etc. However, your doctor should be able to recommend a supplement to you where common allergens aren't present. Many people of non-Caucasian origin are lactose intolerant, I personally get severely ill from dairy products, but lactose free sources of calcium are widely available.

    It's best to speak to your doctor about this. Or even try speaking to a pharmacist about the supplements available and your problems with them.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    8
    thanks for your concern, however, my problem is not lactose. I get poisoning symptoms even if I take tums. My doctor has seen my at my worst and has no idea where to turn. Every specialist I have seen does not understand either. My only hope is someone who has the same experience as the foreign doctor I had seen decades ago. I just don't remember the name she called this condition but she rattled off the symptoms accurately even though I had not specified them. Unfortunately, she retired decades ago and no one knows where she is.....if she is still alive
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Hmm, well Tums' source of calcium carbonate is from limestone, so there probably isn't any common allergens from shellfish or eggs in there. Your body maybe just doesn't tolerate calcium salts, I don't know if such a thing exists or how common it is. I was able to find some stuff on people having gastro-intestinal problems and skin rashes from them, nothing in depth though. I'm surprised your doctors haven't any idea at all about why you can't tolerate the supplements, I'd think that such things would be reasonably well documented.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14 Osteoporosis Treatment 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1
    Bone mass reaches its apex in the thirties and forties, and in the majority, though not all of the population, bone loss occurs with age. Some of the identifiable causes associated with the condition include hormone deficiency (vitamin D deficiency; male and female hypogonadism); hormone excess (hyperprolactinaemia, excess glucocorticoid, hyperthyroidism); nutritional factors (digestive abnormalities, malabsorbtion syndromes); Renal bone disease; inflammatory disorders (crohns disease, rheumatoid arthritis); immobilisation and osteoporosis caused through neoplastic bone marrow disorders. Non identifiable conditions include idiopathic juvenile and adult, and senile osteoporosis.


    sourcesteopeniaandosteoporosis.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15 osteoporsis and calcium allergy 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    8
    thank you all for the interest and suggestions

    Calcium from sources other than vegetables has the same effect as chemo on me.Why, no doctor has been able to figure out why

    I was also born with talasemia and therefore anemic. Iron poisoned me as well as multi vitamins . Finally a doctor put me on injections of b12. That has kept me going for over 30 years. However, there does not seem to be a solution for calcium deficiency

    I am still looking for others who share this problem and any solution you may have found
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    8
    I understand what you wrote, however, what is the option is a person is allergic to calcium from any source other than vegetable. No pills qualify


    Is there anyone out there with a similar problem
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •