Notices
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Anti-anxiety meds

  1. #1 Anti-anxiety meds 
    Forum Masters Degree organic god's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    567
    Hey guys

    Turns out i have to present the results of an experiment, got to be 10 minutes long, and it counts towards my final grade.
    My problem is that whenever i have to present, my voice and whole body start to shake, regardless of my preperation.
    Are there any over the counter meds that could help me with this?


    everything is mathematical.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    792
    nothing over the counter no. But honestly, we all have these kind of things time to time. Just practise and speak in public regularly and you'll get over it very quickly. I now love speaking in public and nerves/shakes/voice, not a problem any more.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    286
    maybe peppermint tea
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    It is hard to terminate stage phobia without medications, but there are some natural remdies which can calm you in general like Kava Kava herb and Mg meniral
    You might also try to add supplements which help the brain to generate neurotransmitters like Omega3 and Vit B
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by evo4ata
    It is hard to terminate stage phobia without medications, but there are some natural remdies which can calm you in general like Kava Kava herb and Mg meniral
    You might also try to add supplements which help the brain to generate neurotransmitters like Omega3 and Vit B
    Any evidence that those work at all? Like large trials?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Senior Kukhri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    392
    Drugs perscribed for the treatment of anxiety are called anxiolytics. Beta blockers like Inderal (Propranalol) are becoming quite popular among classical musicians and on college campuses for controlling stagefright and nervousness. In the 2008 Beijing Olympics, a 50m pistol and 10m air pistol medalist tested positive for Propranalol.

    Anyways, why would you be so quick to consider meds you know nothing about? You're consulting people with dubious medical experience for potentially dangerous information.

    Side effects of Beta Blockers include decreased concentration, dizzyness, hallucination, nightmares, depression, erectile dysfunction, nausia, diarrhea, dyspnea, bradycardia, hypotension and more. Beta blockers are intended for treatment life threatening cardiac issues, which outway the side effects.
    Co-producer of Red Oasis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    I agree with "Kukhri" that beta blockers are the best in terminating stage phobia , you take it just before the presentation and they work even in the smallest doses (10-20)mg

    Any evidence that those work at all? Like large trials?
    Trials on Kavakava
    http://biopsychiatry.com/kavakava.htm
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Social-Anxiety-Kava-Kava

    Article on Magnesium
    http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/mag...-benefits-4695

    Trials on omega3
    http://biopsychiatry.com/omega-3.htm

    Discussion about Vit B6
    http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/cur...this-please-59

    you can also google for more about those
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,564
    I don't mean to be harsh, but you seem to be basing your assumptions on some pretty poor evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by evo4ata
    Any evidence that those work at all? Like large trials?
    Trials on Kavakava
    http://biopsychiatry.com/kavakava.htm
    This is an in vitro study, not a clinical trial. Good as a starting point for further research but of no meaningful relevance to living human beings.

    Quote Originally Posted by evo4ata
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Social-Anxiety-Kava-Kava
    Mainstream press piece, no data, not peer-reviewed, not worth a jot in terms of evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by evo4ata
    Anecdotes are not data. Bad enough in the mainstream press, even worse when presented like this one on a message board with no references. And the word "cock" in the summation. Wonderful.

    Quote Originally Posted by evo4ata
    Do you have a full-text link to that? It appears to be a topic review of some kind. Trials to date on fish oils have not been promising when done randomised, large-scale and fully controlled.

    Quote Originally Posted by evo4ata
    Message board testimonial again. Worthless, unfortunately.

    Quote Originally Posted by evo4ata
    you can also google for more about those
    I could, but I'm not claiming that any of these things work so unless I'm really interested it's not up to me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Senior Kukhri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by evo4ata
    I agree with "Kukhri" that beta blockers are the best in terminating stage phobia
    That wasn't really my point. Beta-blockers are bad. Try imagining the audience in their underwear or something.
    Co-producer of Red Oasis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    OK Biologista
    forget about those links I got them on a hurry, I tried KavaKava my self and it works good but of course not as strong as the meds like beta blockers and benzos
    there is also something I have just remembered about green tea , it has an anxiolytic substance called L-Theanine
    http://www.web-us.com/l-theanine_anxiety_reducer.htm
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukhri
    Quote Originally Posted by evo4ata
    I agree with "Kukhri" that beta blockers are the best in terminating stage phobia
    That wasn't really my point. Beta-blockers are bad. Try imagining the audience in their underwear or something.
    Beta Blockers are not that bad ! they are a good drug choice to start with before trying anything else , its tolerabelity is way better than benzo or other anxiolytics and the side effects are very few especially when taking a low dose of it
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12 Re: Anti-anxiety meds 
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by organic god
    Are there any over the counter meds that could help me with this?
    I'll second what Robbie said. This fear shall pass in time. I know that doesn't help you right now, but it shall pass.

    In my first public speaking engagement I was so scared and shaking so much I had to rest my hands on the table throughout. Now, to my amusment, people are constantly telling me that I'm a natural speaker and don't, therefore, understand how difficult it is for them. Courage!

    A coule of things that might help you. First, nearly everyone in nearly every audience is actually on your side, willing you to succeed. Secondly, the nervousness of the speaker is much more apparent to the speaker than to the audience. You can be pissing yourself and the audience think you are quite comfortable. Finally, use the old trick of imagining the audience naked, Just try not to laugh too much.

    Good luck.

    Oh, if you are old enough there is one over the counter medicine you could consider. It is often sold in pints. :wink:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by evo4ata
    OK Biologista
    forget about those links I got them on a hurry, I tried KavaKava my self and it works good
    And how do you know it worked? Because you felt better? Trials have placebo controls for a reason you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by evo4ata
    but of course not as strong as the meds like beta blockers and benzos
    there is also something I have just remembered about green tea , it has an anxiolytic substance called L-Theanine
    http://www.web-us.com/l-theanine_anxiety_reducer.htm
    Why are you using websites like that as sources? That thing looks like an undergraduate project. Use Pubmed or Google Scholar for your sources. Normal Google is not your friend for this stuff.

    Now, there does seem to be reasonably good evidence that your point about green tea is true:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18006208

    There are other peer-reviewed primary papers on the matter too, some of which are listed in the references section of this reasonably ok Wikipedia article on theanine.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Professor marcusclayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,702
    Existentialists would say that you don't have a problem with speaking in front of the class, but this stage in your life you have chosen speaking in front of the class as your focus for a challenge that you must overcome.

    I don't know how much I agree with that, but I do think that you should overcome your fear and not rely on things. It is a school project, you aren't making a political speach, you aren't trying to convince anyone of anything, you are just sharing research.

    As long as you know what your talking about you have nothing to be afraid of. Practice in front of the mirror, recite it to friends and ask if they have questions, then you can prepare for that.

    Part of me thinks that social anxiety is fear of greatness.
    Dick, be Frank.

    Ambiguity Kills.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    807
    Herbal relaxants you can purchase formulas over the counter in chemists for periods of stress, worry and anxiety.

    I think I would avoid KavaKava tho as it's a strong stimulant and can make you over-anxious.

    You need a happy balance.

    Personally I would take herbal in the lead-up to reduce anxiety about it. I would practice positive thinking and try to eliminate negative irrational worries about it going wrong. Instead spend time each day before-hand visualizing it being a success. Go through the whole presentation and imagine people smiling, nodding their heads and applauding afterwards.
    When you get to do the presentation get plenty of sleep beforehand and just take a mild stimulant such as a cup of strong coffee beforehand so you feel on the ball.
    Absum! has never been bored in her life, but is becoming increasingly bored of the Science Forum! :?


    (.·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.¸☼¸.¤...-♥»゜・*.:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:* *.:。·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.¸☼¸.¤...-♥»゜・*.:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:* *.:。·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    945
    [quote="KukhriThat wasn't really my point. Beta-blockers are bad. [/quote]

    I second this.

    I had to do two talks presenting work I had undertaken. At first it was a little daunting, that morning, I was terrified. But I got up in front of PhDs candidates, PhDs, post docs and professors in my research group, gave it socks, answered one tricky question and sat down. Afterwards, I realized I couldn’t remember anything of what I sai

    It gets easier. Public speaking really needs practice. I just remembered that everyone had to begin somewhere.

    I would strongly advise not taking any medication as in the end; you will not always be able to use meds whenever you need to give a speech.
    Stumble on through life.
    Feel free to correct any false information, which unknown to me, may be included in my posts. (also - let this be a disclaimer)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Moderator Moderator TheBiologista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    Herbal relaxants you can purchase formulas over the counter in chemists for periods of stress, worry and anxiety.
    If and only if there's documented evidence of it working. If it's genuinely strong enough to have a measurable effect then there should be good evidence around for it. But I think the theme we're all touching on here is that relying on any sort of meds is probably a bit of a risk. Best to just think positively, practice well and do it often.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Professor marcusclayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,702
    I think I said it already, but I also think it bears repeating, recite it to a friend. If it's a big part of your final grade I am sure there are other's in your class that are equally nervous, talk to people about the project. Express your nervousness and try to find someone who is also nervous and wants to recite with you. Hiding the fact that you are nervous only makes you more nervous, we are all nervous, we all have the same fears, we all just learn to cope in different ways, those who hide it don't learn to cope.
    Dick, be Frank.

    Ambiguity Kills.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBiologista
    Quote Originally Posted by Absum!
    Herbal relaxants you can purchase formulas over the counter in chemists for periods of stress, worry and anxiety.
    If and only if there's documented evidence of it working. If it's genuinely strong enough to have a measurable effect then there should be good evidence around for it. But I think the theme we're all touching on here is that relying on any sort of meds is probably a bit of a risk. Best to just think positively, practice well and do it often.
    Well yes there are contra-indications with herbal medicine, especially if taking other prescribed medicine, as well as possible side effects, so it's best to check with your doc before taking anything.

    There are lots of known herbs which are sedative and their effects have been studied, but I have to say the best herbal relaxant I've ever come across has got to be Marijuana, which is ridiculously illegal!

    And I agree, thinking positively is a good habit to get into, because that's all it is, and practice makes perfect.

    Another good technique, without drugs, is breathing.
    It's amazing how your breath changes depending on whether you are anxious or relaxed. When you're anxious your breath is much faster and sharper. When you're relaxed your breath is naturally much deeper and longer.

    If you spend time consciously making your breaths deeper and longer, it will automatically make you feel calmer.

    Try the four-fold breath

    inhale for the count of four, hold for the count of four, out with count of four, and hold for count of four before the next inhale.

    You can also give yourself a natural high by using your breath.
    Absum! has never been bored in her life, but is becoming increasingly bored of the Science Forum! :?


    (.·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.¸☼¸.¤...-♥»゜・*.:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:* *.:。·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.¸☼¸.¤...-♥»゜・*.:。✿*゚‘゚・✿.。.:* *.:。·.¸❀¸.·´¯`·.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Who wants to know?
    Posts
    589
    When I have to present or give a speech in front of a class, I always think of the audience as something funny. Sometimes I picture them as cows. Sometimes as giant, oozing worms.

    During a recent Government project in which I had to present for 40 mins, I became so nervous, i almost collapsed. But, then I looked at my audience and imagined them in their undies...god, I had to fight back the laughter. You can imagine me explaining the death penalty with random, high-pitched giggles, and me showing the audience the electric chair while snorting and wheezing from the colossal effort. My teacher didn't know what to say, so he settled on one of those infamous single-eyebrow raises.

    Of course, this "undies" technique is actually more effective the more "classy" and "sophisticated" your audience is. And if that doesn't work, just remember that under that IQ of 300 or those drop-dead gorgeous looks, we all crap and pee like any other wild animal.

    Just to put it in perspective. :wink:
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •