Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: which one is easier?

  1. #1 which one is easier? 
    Forum Freshman mkafil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    26
    peace and love

    Recently I'm taking French for business communication. But few of my friends suggested that i should take Spanish. They say Spanish is easier than French which i do not think a very good statement at all.

    So, anyone here took French or Spanish and can enlighten me?

    Thanks. 8)


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    advertising hyperspace
    Posts
    148
    Where's the "peace and love" in business?

    The spanish seem to have more success in south america.

    The French have more success with french-named terrorist groups.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman mkafil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    26
    Max you are funny. :P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    advertising hyperspace
    Posts
    148
    I am yet a jester to your royal highness.

    Tell me, what of your objective so I can serve thee better.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    French and Spanish are both Romance languages and are very similar in structure, so any major difference in difficulty would probably be in pronunciation. I think Spanish is probably easier to pronounce.

    Difficulty shouldn't determine which one you learn, though. Where are you going to be doing business? What kind of business? What will ultimately be more useful to you, French, or Spanish? IMHO, there are a lot more Spanish speakers in the world than French. If I was to learn a new language I'd probably choose Mandarin, since the Chinese are going to be everywhere soon and they got a couple billion speakers. But learning Mandarin is probably harder than learning French or Spanish.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    advertising hyperspace
    Posts
    148
    ....

    the essence to any conflict is highlighting thst the opposition have less "where it counts"........and being an immortal would be where it counts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    French and Spanish are both Romance languages and are very similar in structure, so any major difference in difficulty would probably be in pronunciation. I think Spanish is probably easier to pronounce.

    Difficulty shouldn't determine which one you learn, though. Where are you going to be doing business? What kind of business? What will ultimately be more useful to you, French, or Spanish? IMHO, there are a lot more Spanish speakers in the world than French. If I was to learn a new language I'd probably choose Mandarin, since the Chinese are going to be everywhere soon and they got a couple billion speakers. But learning Mandarin is probably harder than learning French or Spanish.
    I basically agree with paralith. I've taken six years of Spanish and some Latin and I've discovered that if you apply yourself, learning other languages isn't really that hard...but of course, that could just be me. But like paralith said, I don't think there's a huge difference, and you should go with whatever will be most beneficial to you in the long run. Where are you currently located? If you're in the US, Spanish may be more beneficial, especially I think in the southwest, where the hispanic population is growing... But of course, this all depends on your line of work too, which I don't know.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    I took French, but it turns out that Spanish would have been more useful, essentially because business communication in Europe can be carried out in English, but in the increasingly important South and Central American areas that's not the case. Spanish (and Portuguese) would be immensely helpful.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    advertising hyperspace
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    French and Spanish are both Romance languages and are very similar in structure, so any major difference in difficulty would probably be in pronunciation. I think Spanish is probably easier to pronounce.

    Difficulty shouldn't determine which one you learn, though. Where are you going to be doing business? What kind of business? What will ultimately be more useful to you, French, or Spanish? IMHO, there are a lot more Spanish speakers in the world than French. If I was to learn a new language I'd probably choose Mandarin, since the Chinese are going to be everywhere soon and they got a couple billion speakers. But learning Mandarin is probably harder than learning French or Spanish.
    I basically agree with paralith. I've taken six years of Spanish and some Latin and I've discovered that if you apply yourself, learning other languages isn't really that hard...but of course, that could just be me. But like paralith said, I don't think there's a huge difference, and you should go with whatever will be most beneficial to you in the long run. Where are you currently located? If you're in the US, Spanish may be more beneficial, especially I think in the southwest, where the hispanic population is growing... But of course, this all depends on your line of work too, which I don't know.

    I have been kept in a Latin prison all my life, just to understand medieval english.

    ......all that magic shit.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    81
    I took both french and spanish in school and personally I found Spanish to be the easier of the two. However I know people that would say french is easier. It depends on the person.
    "People shouldn't be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Spanish is easier to learn and to pronounce than French. As Bunbury has pointed out most French speakers engaged in business also speak English (though they may no always wish to admit it). The same is not true throughout much of South and Central America.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    33
    33 is offline
    Forum Sophomore 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by maxHeadroom
    Where's the "peace and love" in business?

    The spanish seem to have more success in south america.

    The French have more success with french-named terrorist groups.
    But money is the universal language
    "When a true genius appears in this world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman Cara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mi USA
    Posts
    8
    If this your first foreign language, take Spanish. It is easier.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •