Notices
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: sleep

  1. #1 sleep 
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    I find it really odd when people say that they "like to sleep," because when you're asleep, you're not even aware that you are, really. So then how can you like it? (that's my random thought of the day)


    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Freshman Development's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Caledonia
    Posts
    31
    Maybe because people enjoy dreaming?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Development
    Maybe because people enjoy dreaming?
    yeah, but you can't control that really... personally, i see sleep as a big waste of time, and if I didn't need it, I definitely wouldn't...
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman Development's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Caledonia
    Posts
    31
    You can control it if you practice. Dreaming to me is like a second life.. one where you can do anything and not get hurt.

    Why wouldn't everyone want that? :P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    well control or not there's always the possiblility that they're impartial to sleep and just enjoy not getting up and having to do stuff.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    22
    I like the feeling after sleep.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    to sleep is to escape
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    68
    lucid dreaming is awesome, which is where u can control what u do in your dreams. i just googled it and i found what to do. its actually very fun. what it is, is basically when youre dreaming, when you realize that you are actually dreaming and you can control yourself.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    91
    When I sleep during the day and I wake up I feel jittery and cold, a firend of mine thought I did drugs. I think I like sleep because I get to relax and not do anything. Lazyness FTW
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 Re: sleep 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    I find it really odd when people say that they "like to sleep," because when you're asleep, you're not even aware that you are, really. So then how can you like it? (that's my random thought of the day)
    I used to prefer being asleep to being awake. I guess I wasn't too happy during those times. BUT I do also become lucid frequently in dreams and despite my varying ability to manipulate what happens in the dream, it is very much like being awake. All the sensory elements are there. It's very peculiar.

    Recently I was about to get intimate with Jude Law when my deceased Grandmother and mother appeared and told us we couldn't use that bed! Bloodyhell! That was MY dream! How unfair is that? I awoke before an suitable alternative could be found. Argggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11 Re: sleep 
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    I find it really odd when people say that they "like to sleep," because when you're asleep, you're not even aware that you are, really. So then how can you like it? (that's my random thought of the day)
    I disagree. I'm almost always completely conscious of "That I am". My brain must be funny like that.

    But also consider the fact that you aren't aware. This is the main reason why a lot of people like sleep. It means no stress and such. Unless it begins to invade your sleep, then you have a real problem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman Jellybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    yeah, but you can't control that really... personally, i see sleep as a big waste of time, and if I didn't need it, I definitely wouldn't...
    Yea, i hate having to waste a third of my life sleeping... What's the point? Imagine how much more you could achieve in life if you had a 24 hour day...!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    792
    I heard somewhere (obviously not a good way to open!) that people who sleep 6-7hrs a night live longer than those who sleep 8+ hrs a night. Thought it was interesting.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    yea i've heard that one too. but the thing is that i also heard that sleeping less than 8 hours a night can be more stressful to the heart, forgot the reasons why they thought so.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    What I've heard you're supposed to get is 8 hours, and any less than that is unhealthy, and 10-12 hours each night is unhealthy... Wonder why too much sleep is bad...
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Guest
    That's silly. Sleep depends upon your genetic (and environment) preferences. I personally am DEAD without 9-12 hours of sleep. If I get a good nights speed for those 9-12 hours, I can stay awake 24 hours before I get tired. Unfortunately since I rarely get good sleep, I can't usually attempt that feat.

    This is why the saying "early to fall and early to rise, makes a man rich and wise" is utter tripe.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman Jellybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    I heard somewhere (obviously not a good way to open!) that people who sleep 6-7hrs a night live longer than those who sleep 8+ hrs a night. Thought it was interesting.
    yea, ive read about that on the internet... but then it said sleeping 9+ hours reduces your life expectancy!! I guess we just need to sleep 8 hours exactly, though that's hard because some people are ok with less and some people like me need at least 8, or even more.. Oh, its all so confusing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Ph.D. Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    969
    Everybody always tells me I should be getting at least 6 hours of sleep, preferably 8, and they're probably right...but that's frustratingly impossible.

    Although I love going to bed and laying around, being unconscious for 6+ hours is a huge waste of time to me. My life is slipping away because I'm brain-dead for 6+ hours each day. (Not that I particularly accomplish that much when awake...but we won't discuss that. :-D )

    I typically get only enough sleep to keep me alive and well enough to do my job. I go to bed typically at 2am, wake up at 7:30-8, and slog my way to work. Friday night I'll stay up till 4 or 5 am, then hit the sack and sleep till maybe noon. Saturday night, too. Sunday night I'll stay up to about 3am. If I'm groggy Monday morning, no one can tell. Everyone looks groggy Monday morning.

    I don't drink coffee in the morning, that takes time to prepare and I'd rather spend it sleeping or doing whatever I'm doing before bed. I wake up using my car. Driving fast helps wake you up. It also helps wake up everyone else in traffic. I feel I'm doing my part to help America wake up each morning. People always get really lively and excited when I go past. Nothing says "WAKE UP!!!" like a Mustang tearing down the road at 120mph through morning traffic.

    When I was in college, I was a big-time no-sleeper. I regularly went days without sleep. I was often perpetually supped up on caffeine and slim-jims, but I don't think that's relevant.

    We used to have LAN parties that would start on Friday night, and end Monday morning sometime. No one would sleep. We only stopped for the necessities of life. (Beer, bathroom, sex.) Once I stayed up for 7 days straight, engaged in an online Team Fortress marathon match. It's a good kind of pain. :-D
    Wolf
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    "Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you." Alan Alda
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Once I stayed up for 7 days straight, engaged in an online Team Fortress marathon match. It's a good kind of pain. :-D
    I think the longest I've done is almost 3 days. I think generally I get tired as normal, then you get over the hump and it's OK for a while. Then comes a crash where I don't care about anything in the world other than sleep. Once that point comes there's simply no fighting it and it comes way before the 7 day mark!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Ph.D. Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    969
    I wonder what kind of impact killing people online for 7 days straight has on the human mind?

    I'm sure I futzed up something during those years, and if that didn't add to the destruction, nothing did.
    Wolf
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    "Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you." Alan Alda
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Guest
    It's all in genetics. Some people can, at the extreme end, stay awake for a week at a time, sleep a few hours, do it again without any problems whatsoever.

    On the other end, some people can barely stay awake. They're tired all the time despite how good they sleep.

    So perhaps you didn't damage anything at all. XP
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Ph.D. Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    969
    There's a guy that works for my company at the Australian branch, who never sleeps. He literally takes two one-hour naps each day (sometimes only one) and that's it. He just goes and goes. Doesn't drink coffee, either. Weird little freak of nature...
    Wolf
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    "Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you." Alan Alda
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •