Notices
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: The Great Floods

  1. #1 The Great Floods 
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    any one watching on the news? It's fairly exciting down here in sheffield the water has varied from 1' to 5-6' I myself cycled up the River Porter (very exciting) with the path under 2' of water. I wonder if Ulley damn will go...


    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    i wonder when they're going to have hose pipe bans ?


    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    i wonder when they're going to have hose pipe bans ?
    haha. The southeners havent got enough water we have to much. and who complains the most?
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    We here in North Texas are experiencing the wettest June on record. Which is very welcome after 3 years of drought. It's raining like a mofo right now...I ride the bus to work and I got totally soaked. Dallas gets it's drinking water from man-made lakes, and they were all several meters low....now their almost back to normal. Rain is good...but enough is enough already
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    we're experiencing the worst drought in 100 years
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968
    We here in North Texas are experiencing the wettest June on record. Which is very welcome after 3 years of drought. It's raining like a mofo right now...I ride the bus to work and I got totally soaked. Dallas gets it's drinking water from man-made lakes, and they were all several meters low....now their almost back to normal. Rain is good...but enough is enough already
    have you gotton 6 foot of water down some streets? then stop complaining :-D It's really fun... however every 3 hours the power goes out to be diverted to those with out it
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    wow...that's alot...and yes we are having 6' of water down the streets. god is showing his hatred for mobile homes...a whole park of 'em was washed away last night with people on roofs and hanging in trees. Several people died in the floods in the last few days. We got 6" of rain yesterday and are expecting up to 5" today...it's crazy.

    If you want, Nev...you and me can start working on an ark....dude..we could charge admission...and forget 2 of every kind of animal...we'll fill ours with beer and babes....and some band from the '80's.

    Hope your staying dry "across the pond" :-D
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by wallaby
    we're experiencing the worst drought in 100 years
    It's not a drought, its's a change of climate.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968
    wow...that's alot...and yes we are having 6' of water down the streets. god is showing his hatred for mobile homes...a whole park of 'em was washed away last night with people on roofs and hanging in trees. Several people died in the floods in the last few days. We got 6" of rain yesterday and are expecting up to 5" today...it's crazy.

    If you want, Nev...you and me can start working on an ark....dude..we could charge admission...and forget 2 of every kind of animal...we'll fill ours with beer and babes....and some band from the '80's.

    Hope your staying dry "across the pond" :-D
    Briliant I have been watching it on TV and there have been caravans and cars floating down the streets. Meadow'hell' is underwater. We have more rain forecast fo the weekend
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    It's not a drought, its's a change of climate.
    change of climate which brings about below average rainfall which is classified as a drought.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    The online Merriam-Webster dictionary defines drought thus:
    a period of dryness especially when prolonged

    I don't believe they mean this prolonged period to run into hundreds and thousands of years. A drought is a prolonged interruption to a pattern of rainfall. If the pattern changes permanently then it is no longer a drought, but the way things are. If the Australians continue to think of this as a drought they are going to have a hell of a time adjusting to the reality that they are one of the first major victims of global warming.

    That was the point of the comment.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    The online Merriam-Webster dictionary defines drought thus:
    a period of dryness especially when prolonged

    I don't believe they mean this prolonged period to run into hundreds and thousands of years. A drought is a prolonged interruption to a pattern of rainfall. If the pattern changes permanently then it is no longer a drought, but the way things are. If the Australians continue to think of this as a drought they are going to have a hell of a time adjusting to the reality that they are one of the first major victims of global warming.

    That was the point of the comment.
    ]

    It isn't permanent. wallaby said that it was the worst drought IN a hundred years, not that it has lasted 100 years
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    The online Merriam-Webster dictionary defines drought thus:
    a period of dryness especially when prolonged

    I don't believe they mean this prolonged period to run into hundreds and thousands of years. A drought is a prolonged interruption to a pattern of rainfall. If the pattern changes permanently then it is no longer a drought, but the way things are. If the Australians continue to think of this as a drought they are going to have a hell of a time adjusting to the reality that they are one of the first major victims of global warming.

    That was the point of the comment.
    ohh so you were refering to global warming, i must have assumed you were talking about just another El Nino event. so why is this global warming, as opposed to a rather long period of not having to pull out my umbrella.

    EDIT: wow that was quick, but off to the newsagent it is.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Refer to the editorial in a recent issue of New Scientist. This baby is likley going to be permanent.

    It wasn't the latest edition of New Scientist, just one within the last few weeks. I don't have it to hand, so I can't be more specific. Hold on.
    Actually, I have it in my briefcase. It's the 16th June edition.

    Here are a couple of quotes:
    "Over the last 50 years southern Australia has lost 20 per cent of its rainfall and one cause is almost certainlyglobal warming ."

    "..the first thing Australians need to do is stop talking about the drought and start talking about the new climate."

    "Australia needs to design and build an irrigation system fit for the 21st century. It is tempting to try to fix the xisting system, bu that is hopeless."

    Have a frostie on me, as you contemplate the future.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor wallaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,521
    while i conceed that this is an editorial and not a feature article the statement, "one of the causes is almost certainly global warming," seems rather unsupported. it seems like more and more potential climate fluctuations are being labeled as permenant changes with out reguard for the fact that a 50 year spell of dryer than normal weather can possibly be temporary.

    otherwise it's just level 5 water restrictions, construction of desalination plants, ironicly building another dam and even a recycled water infrastructure, ohh joy.

    speaking of frostie its time for me to go to a party, how typical that its overcast.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    Everything is temporary.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    haha. The southeners havent got enough water we have to much. and who complains the most?
    Hence the term Winging northerners.

    I don't know, a couple of puddles and you lot are still trying to find way's of having a go at us.......
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •