Notices
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Claims to Fame ;)

  1. #1 Claims to Fame ;) 
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,173
    Has anybody here in the forum ever been responsible for, or worked with somebody who was responsible for, a scientific discovery or invention?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,125
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    Has anybody here in the forum ever been responsible for, or worked with somebody who was responsible for, a scientific discovery or invention?
    I
    was involved in developing a new method for measuring the vapour pressures of low volatility organic compounds:
    https://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/Arti...h#!divAbstract
    (I'm the second author)

    Other stuff I've worked on: Dave*Stewart*G-7491-2012*- ResearcherID.com

    My PhD supervisor (Tony Cox) and first boss as a post-doc (Stuart Penkett) did a lot of the early research which demonstrated the significance of chemical processes occurring in the atmosphere producing acid rain and ozone.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,519
    Mod note: I've moved Matt's post (and PhD's response) to a new thread as it constitutes a separate topic on its own, methinks (as opposed to favourite discovery/ invention in science).
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    1,013
    Early in my career I worked for a small science and engineering research company called TRG. One of my coworkers was Gordon Gould who after many years was finally recognized as the inventor of the laser.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Mod note: I've moved Matt's post (and PhD's response) to a new thread as it constitutes a separate topic on its own, methinks (as opposed to favourite discovery/ invention in science).
    I think that was a good call. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,173
    Thanks for sharing PhDemon and mathman!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    Has anybody here in the forum ever been responsible for, or worked with somebody who was responsible for, a scientific discovery or invention?
    I
    was involved in developing a new method for measuring the vapour pressures of low volatility organic compounds:
    https://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/Arti...h#!divAbstract
    (I'm the second author)

    Other stuff I've worked on: Dave*Stewart*G-7491-2012*- ResearcherID.com

    My PhD supervisor (Tony Cox) and first boss as a post-doc (Stuart Penkett) did a lot of the early research which demonstrated the significance of chemical processes occurring in the atmosphere producing acid rain and ozone.
    It looks like you did a lot of work in the atmospheric science department.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Samurai of Logic Falconer360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Washington
    Posts
    942
    My tattoo artist is good friends with comedian and actor Jack Black. I have yet to meet Jack, but hopefully someday I can through my tattoo artist. Otherwise the most famous person I know is Kirk Johnson, the director of the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History. I've known him for about ten years.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson

    "It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down"
    - Yagyu Munenori

    "Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,111
    The closest i can come, besides knowing kirk Johnson as well, is finding the type specimens for several fossil taxa
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Samurai of Logic Falconer360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Washington
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    The closest i can come, besides knowing kirk Johnson as well, is finding the type specimens for several fossil taxa
    I'm holding out hope that my one ant turns out to be a holotype of a new species still. Although your one fly is almost certainly one.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson

    "It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down"
    - Yagyu Munenori

    "Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconer360 View Post
    My tattoo artist is good friends with comedian and actor Jack Black. I have yet to meet Jack, but hopefully someday I can through my tattoo artist. Otherwise the most famous person I know is Kirk Johnson, the director of the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History. I've known him for about ten years.
    Do you know if your tattoo artist gave Jack Black any of his tattoos or did they meet some other way?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Samurai of Logic Falconer360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Washington
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconer360 View Post
    My tattoo artist is good friends with comedian and actor Jack Black. I have yet to meet Jack, but hopefully someday I can through my tattoo artist. Otherwise the most famous person I know is Kirk Johnson, the director of the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History. I've known him for about ten years.
    Do you know if your tattoo artist gave Jack Black any of his tattoos or did they meet some other way?
    Jack doesn't have any tattoos as far as I'm aware. My tattoo artist has an open offer for a free tattoo for him though. When Jack is up, they mostly barbecue and go float the river and stuff like that. Jack Black's father lives near my tattoo artist, so that's his primary reason for visiting the area. Jack's parents were aerospace engineers.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson

    "It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down"
    - Yagyu Munenori

    "Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconer360 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconer360 View Post
    My tattoo artist is good friends with comedian and actor Jack Black. I have yet to meet Jack, but hopefully someday I can through my tattoo artist. Otherwise the most famous person I know is Kirk Johnson, the director of the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History. I've known him for about ten years.
    Do you know if your tattoo artist gave Jack Black any of his tattoos or did they meet some other way?
    Jack doesn't have any tattoos as far as I'm aware. My tattoo artist has an open offer for a free tattoo for him though. When Jack is up, they mostly barbecue and go float the river and stuff like that. Jack Black's father lives near my tattoo artist, so that's his primary reason for visiting the area. Jack's parents were aerospace engineers.
    I wonder what kind of tattoo Jack Black would want to get if he wanted one?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    The closest i can come, besides knowing kirk Johnson as well, is finding the type specimens for several fossil taxa
    In my opinion that counts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconer360 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    The closest i can come, besides knowing kirk Johnson as well, is finding the type specimens for several fossil taxa
    I'm holding out hope that my one ant turns out to be a holotype of a new species still. Although your one fly is almost certainly one.
    I find it interesting that bees and ants share the wasp as their common ancestor.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,111
    Actually they do, but don't at the same time. They are both from "wasp" common ancestors, but the eusocial bees and the usocial ants are from different familes of "wasp". Keep in mind was is a very,very broad term with limited taxonomic meaning
    Last edited by Paleoichneum; December 4th, 2018 at 11:23 AM.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Actually they do, but don't at the same time. They are both from "wasp" common ancestors, but the eusocial bees and the usocial ants are from different familes of "wasp". Keep in mind was is a very,very broad term with limited taxonomic meaning
    Right. Thanks for the correction. The bee and the ant did not diverge from the same wasp family but from two different wasp families.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Hall of Fame
    By zinjanthropos in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: February 25th, 2013, 02:52 PM
  2. Gnosis. From fame to fool.
    By Greatest I am in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: February 19th, 2009, 10:07 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: June 30th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •