Notices
Results 1 to 68 of 68

Thread: What are some good bible passages?

  1. #1 What are some good bible passages? 
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New Jersey USA
    Posts
    639
    I got a new bible for my birthday. I was wondering what passages are the most helpful or enlightening for a new reader. Also, what are the key messages in both the Old and New Testament, respectively?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    I don't foresee any scientific or scholarship value in this thread so far. I suggest you formulate a question or argument along those lines before a mod warns you.


    Last edited by MrMojo1; October 4th, 2014 at 10:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    No, quoting the Bible is not a scientific study.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I got a new bible for my birthday. I was wondering what passages are the most helpful or enlightening for a new reader. Also, what are the key messages in both the Old and New Testament, respectively?
    What version is it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    It is said the whole of the Old Testament can be summed up with:

    Stop being angry and don’t try to take revenge. I am the Lord, and I command you to love others as much as you love yourself. (Leviticus 19:18)

    And the New with:

    Treat others just as you want to be treated. (Luke 6:31)

    Um. Does any of this sound familiar?

    And then there is my signature line below. I reckon if the whole Bible was lost, it would be enough if this one verse were preserved.
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    It is said the whole of the Old Testament can be summed up with:

    Stop being angry and don’t try to take revenge. I am the Lord, and I command you to love others as much as you love yourself. (Leviticus 19:18)

    And the New with:

    Treat others just as you want to be treated. (Luke 6:31)

    Um. Does any of this sound familiar?

    And then there is my signature line below. I reckon if the whole Bible was lost, it would be enough if this one verse were preserved.
    The test is to apply that even when on the science forums.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I got a new bible for my birthday. I was wondering what passages are the most helpful or enlightening for a new reader. Also, what are the key messages in both the Old and New Testament, respectively?
    ~ In reply to your question I will offer a note; Seek the council of like minded people of religious fellowships..
    Might it be a church group or assembly of followers.. You are asking of religion and religious doctrine, beliefs in a science forum ?
    Your personal beliefs are not the business of the sciences.. Primarily this remains a science forum.. This might not be a good place for such a question.. I could suggest that you start at the beginning and read to the end.. and take from it that which you value..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I got a new bible for my birthday. I was wondering what passages are the most helpful or enlightening for a new reader. Also, what are the key messages in both the Old and New Testament, respectively?
    ~ In reply to your question I will offer a note; Seek the council of like minded people of religious fellowships..
    Might it be a church group or assembly of followers.. You are asking of religion and religious doctrine, beliefs in a science forum ?
    Your personal beliefs are not the business of the sciences.. Primarily this remains a science forum.. This might not be a good place for such a question.. I could suggest that you start at the beginning and read to the end.. and take from it that which you value..
    I did that once and when I got to the end I started at the beginning again. I couldn't really make any sense out of it. But in the process I asked the Lord Jesus to come and live at my house, do you recall the bit about him "standing at the door knocking" ... so I invited him in to my rundown shack with the rats running through it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,424
    The first page which is often missing "The following is a work of fiction, any similarities to any entity, living, dead or not sure are purely coincidental."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    The first page which is often missing "The following is a work of fiction, any similarities to any entity, living, dead or not sure are purely coincidental."
    Oh ye of little faith ....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    The first page which is often missing "The following is a work of fiction, any similarities to any entity, living, dead or not sure are purely coincidental."
    I can't get YouTube in China. Do you have any evidence to support your claim?
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    The first page which is often missing "The following is a work of fiction, any similarities to any entity, living, dead or not sure are purely coincidental."
    I can't get YouTube in China. Do you have any evidence to support your claim?
    This was long before YouTube. Demon reckons this page #1 is missing and has never been found, but he can tell it should have been there based on a hunch he has.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,424
    It was a joke you pillock...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    It was a joke you pillock...
    There is a new rule coming. The "three strikes and you're out rule". If you make an assertion, you have to find proof of it. If you get asked three times and you fail to find a peer reviewed reference supporting it you may be suspended for an indefinite period.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,424
    piss off Bob you are being a tedious plonker...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    I want evidence for God or whatever.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    piss off Bob you are being a tedious plonker...
    I suggest some good reading is in order! Nite Brother!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    It was a joke you pillock...
    There is a new rule coming. The "three strikes and you're out rule". If you make an assertion, you have to find proof of it. If you get asked three times and you fail to find a peer reviewed reference supporting it you may be suspended for an indefinite period.
    Yes. If anyone makes a "joke" about a scientific topic it is completely uncool. Here, the OP asked a sincere question and he is told it is inappropriate, will probably be banned and is subject to ridicule and unfunny jokes. His question was not scientific, but neither was your response, PhDemon. Plus you've taken to name-calling.
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,424
    :shrug: it was a light hearted joke, if I'd known the forums resident whackjob and his latest supporter would be too thick to realise this I wouldn't have bothered...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    :shrug: it was a light hearted joke, if I'd known the forums resident whackjob and his latest supporter would be too thick to realise this I wouldn't have bothered...
    I was supporting the OP's right to ask a sincere, friendly and harmless question. While it's true that I nominated Bob for moderator, I am also one of your supporters. Perhaps I should reconsider.
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,424
    Where did I say the OP did not (or could not) ask a sincere question? The sad fact is you appear not to have a sense of humour and that Bob is an annoying idiot. If you want to reconsider your nominations that's up to you, I'm not bothered either way.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    The first page which is often missing "The following is a work of fiction, any similarities to any entity, living, dead or not sure are purely coincidental."
    I think it is meant to be like the disclaimer at the end of American Werewolf In London:

    "The following is a work of fiction, any similarities to any entity, living, dead or undead are purely coincidental."
    Jesus was a zombie, don't forget.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    I have a very good sense of humor, which I can prove scientifically even. However, that's unimportant here. The trouble is the OP was asking a sincere and serious question. You made light of it in a rather prejudicial, unscientific way. Bob, who also has a sense of humor made a little joke at your expense ("Oh ye of little faith .... ") and later ironically cited some possible draconian new rules. You got angry and told him to piss off. Then you treat me with contempt for reminding you of your behavior. So while you never actually stated that the OP could not ask a sincere question, you have not fostered a friendly and open environment.

    Also -To a moderator- I could swear this thread started off in Scientific Study of Religion. Now it's in General. I know I don't have a snowball's chance to get a moderator to change their mind, but is it not customary to announce a move to another sub-forum? Am I wrong? Was it here all along?
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    Lisa: "Boy, mom sure will be happy you won 50 dollars."
    Homer : "You'd think that wouldn't you? But you see, Lisa, your mother has this crazy idea that gambling is wrong. Even though they say it's OK in the bible."
    Lisa: "Really? Where?"
    Homer: "Uhh...somewhere in the back."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    It's in general because it isn't scientific in any way. The rate it's going, the trash can isn't far off.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,424
    I was going to respond to post #23 but I'm trying to avoid getting into pointless arguments and this thread has all the hallmarks of developing into one, I can't be bothered with it... and the childishness of the post below just proves my point...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    I was going to respond to post #23 but I'm trying to avoid getting into pointless arguments and this thread has all the hallmarks of developing into one, I can't be bothered with it...
    You should know; made it that way.
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    Bob ... later ironically cited some possible draconian new rules
    Actually Bob invented that "possible draconian new rule".
    Displaying, yet again, his continued failure to comprehend what he reads AND the context in which it was written.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    Bob ... later ironically cited some possible draconian new rules
    Actually Bob invented that "possible draconian new rule".
    Displaying, yet again, his continued failure to comprehend what he reads AND the context in which it was written.
    Interesting!
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I got a new bible for my birthday. I was wondering what passages are the most helpful or enlightening for a new reader. Also, what are the key messages in both the Old and New Testament, respectively?
    To my figuring, the old testament is pretty evil, what with god ordering one people to slaughter another people "to the last man, woman and child". Or the story of Job, where god makes a bet with the devil and subsequently allows the torment of one of his faithful for the purpose of gods own hubris. Or that part where god orders another faithful to perform the ritual sacrifice of his own son as a "test". Though Psalms is pretty good for literature, possibly containing some homo eroticism.
    The new testament is a little more humane. I am completely a non believer but do come from a judeochristian background and have some exposure to the teachings. Some of the message of the four gospels does correspond to my own humanist moral template. Particularly parts of the "sermon on the mount". I believe this is also referred to as the "beatitudes". I also particularly like the part in Matthew between about verse 20 to 30 or so.
    To my understanding "Revelations" was actually written some 500 or so years after the gospels by a crazy hermit who lived in a cave and ate lots'a psychedelic mushrooms. Not to mention I reject all notions of prophecy based on the fact that our most fundamental scientific theories are stochastically modeled.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,172
    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    And then there is my signature line below. I reckon if the whole Bible was lost, it would be enough if this one verse were preserved.
    日日事無別
    惟吾自偶諧
    頭頭非取捨
    處處沒張乖
    朱紫誰爲號
    邱山絶塵埃
    神通妙用
    運水及搬柴
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    :shrug: it was a light hearted joke, if I'd known the forums resident whackjob and his latest supporter would be too thick to realise this I wouldn't have bothered...
    I know it was said in jest Demon, but realise the rule will work both ways, and then it isn't a joke. ISIS is "just a joke" too but it certainly isn't funny.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    Yes. If anyone makes a "joke" about a scientific topic it is completely uncool.
    I have made hundreds of jokes about scientific topics. When the "Like" button was working these jokes often received "Likes" from established, scientifically oriented members.

    I was never 'taken aside' by fellow mods, when I was a mod and asked to stop making the jokes. When not a mod I was never warned about making them.

    In short, your statement is trivially demonstrated to be mistaken.

    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    Here, the OP asked a sincere question and he is told it is inappropriate, will probably be banned and is subject to ridicule and unfunny jokes.
    The question was inappropriate. The forum (a consensus of opinion among staff and regular members) reached the conclusion some years ago that we would not have a section on Religion, but would restrict any religious discussions to the scientific study of religion and religious beliefs. That is why it was inappropriate.

    No member of staff suggested he would be banned for asking the question.

    He was not subjected to ridicule. PhDemon attacked the belief that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God with a well aimed, light hearted barb. That is a completely different thing from ridiculing the OP.


    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    His question was not scientific, but neither was your response, PhDemon.
    And?

    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    Plus you've taken to name-calling.
    He did so in response to members speaking incessant crap. It is somewhat inappropriate behaviour that would benefit form being reined in, but mild compared with what I've been directing at Bob of late.

    To some extent forums self regulate by seeking to control behaviour that the amorphous group of regulars consider unacceptable. View PhDemon as a lymphocyte in the forum's immune system, dedicated to destroying foreign bodies.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    Bob ... later ironically cited some possible draconian new rules
    Actually Bob invented that "possible draconian new rule".
    Displaying, yet again, his continued failure to comprehend what he reads AND the context in which it was written.
    It was based on your idea, there was a thread about it and you are about to become our new moderator so I feel it will be applied.
    Dywyddyr's Suggestion
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I got a new bible for my birthday. I was wondering what passages are the most helpful or enlightening for a new reader. Also, what are the key messages in both the Old and New Testament, respectively?
    ~ In reply to your question I will offer a note; Seek the council of like minded people of religious fellowships..
    Might it be a church group or assembly of followers.. You are asking of religion and religious doctrine, beliefs in a science forum ?
    Your personal beliefs are not the business of the sciences.. Primarily this remains a science forum.. This might not be a good place for such a question.. I could suggest that you start at the beginning and read to the end.. and take from it that which you value..

    Although I agree with you that this forum is not exactly the place to ask such a question, I do not see any harm from asking such a question.
    After all, it might spark an interesting and civil discussion about the Bible (this may seem naive, but I genuinely believe that not all threads about religion have to end with moderator actions).

    However, since I assume that not many people on this forum are of the Christian faith, I think that you will get more answers in forums centered around Christianity.
    A good example of this is /r/Christianity, a subreddit that has a large community of people with various theistic and non-theistic beliefs.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    It was based on your idea, there was a thread about it and you are about to become our new moderator so I feel it will be applied.
    Dywyddyr's Suggestion
    Like I said, what you stated was an invention of your own.
    At no time did I suggest (note that word) that the poster would be banned, but that the relevant thread should be closed.
    Likewise you missed, or ignored, the context: the suggestion was purely in reference to woo posters with unsupported claims for their "theories".
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    It was based on your idea, there was a thread about it and you are about to become our new moderator so I feel it will be applied.
    Dywyddyr's Suggestion
    Like I said, what you stated was an invention of your own.
    At no time did I suggest (note that word) that the poster would be banned, but that the relevant thread should be closed.
    Likewise you missed, or ignored, the context: the suggestion was purely in reference to woo posters with unsupported claims for their "theories".
    When the idea was discussed I pointed out it would have to be applied across the board. Note the thread I linked to was a continuation of another one.
    "Would it be possible to have a forum policy along the lines of "Failure to produce support/ evidence after 3 (or whatever number) direct requests will result in thread locking"? Or something similar?"

    You weren't specific as to the penalty saying "or something similar" and from my personal experience the only workable penalty is to suspend the person making the unsupported claim.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    When the idea was discussed I pointed out it would have to be applied across the board.
    In other words you were extrapolating and going with something YOU had suggested.

    You weren't specific as to the penalty saying "or something similar" and from my personal experience the only workable penalty is to suspend the person making the unsupported claim.
    So you don't think thread locking (and, possibly, the injunction to not start another thread on the same tropic until/ unless that evidence is forthcoming) would work?
    Why not?
    And, again, this is an extrapolation based on what YOU think, not what was suggested.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    When the idea was discussed I pointed out it would have to be applied across the board.
    In other words you were extrapolating and going with something YOU had suggested.

    You weren't specific as to the penalty saying "or something similar" and from my personal experience the only workable penalty is to suspend the person making the unsupported claim.
    So you don't think thread locking (and, possibly, the injunction to not start another thread on the same tropic until/ unless that evidence is forthcoming) would work?
    Why not?
    And, again, this is an extrapolation based on what YOU think, not what was suggested.
    All based on the idea you had suggested in the first place D! Move on let's get back to the real issue of good Biblical passages. One that springs to mind is "Don't sweat over the small stuff".
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    All based on the idea you had suggested in the first place D!
    Except what you wrote was NOT what was suggested, nor does it have any basis in reality.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    All based on the idea you had suggested in the first place D!
    Except what you wrote was NOT what was suggested, nor does it have any basis in reality.
    If you say "or something similar" you can't say it wasn't suggested; for it is similar.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,424
    Job 13:5, good advice for Bob...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Job 13:5, good advice for Bob...
    You quoting a Biblical passage was the biggest surprise of the morning!
    But in context:
    4"But you smear with lies; You are all worthless physicians. 5"O that you would be completely silent, And that it would become your wisdom!6"Please hear my argument And listen to the contentions of my lips.…
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    If you say "or something similar" you can't say it wasn't suggested; for it is similar.
    In what way is banning someone similar to locking a thread?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    If you say "or something similar" you can't say it wasn't suggested; for it is similar.
    In what way is banning someone similar to locking a thread?
    The purpose is to send the message that what is said should be based on supporting evidence. Only trouble I see with that it stops all "new ideas" in their tracks. If they are new ideas they need to be exempt of course.
    I think a good logic chain should be sufficient in these cases.
    Now how does that relate to the OP.
    The Bible often points out the need for reliable evidence.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    The purpose is to send the message that what is said should be based on supporting evidence.
    In other words: not similar.

    Only trouble I see with that it stops all "new ideas" in their tracks.
    Wrong.
    It stops worthless ideas in their tracks.

    If they are new ideas they need to be exempt of course.
    No.

    I think a good logic chain should be sufficient in these cases.
    Um, and doesn't a good logic chain fall under the heading of "support"?

    The Bible often points out the need for reliable evidence.
    While failing utterly to provide any. (And relying on believers not actually looking for reliable evidence).
    Go figure...
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    The purpose is to send the message that what is said should be based on supporting evidence.
    In other words: not similar.

    Only trouble I see with that it stops all "new ideas" in their tracks.
    Wrong.
    It stops worthless ideas in their tracks.

    If they are new ideas they need to be exempt of course.
    No.

    I think a good logic chain should be sufficient in these cases.
    Um, and doesn't a good logic chain fall under the heading of "support"?

    The Bible often points out the need for reliable evidence.
    While failing utterly to provide any. (And relying on believers not actually looking for reliable evidence).
    Go figure...
    Logic may not be sufficient support for the likes of Paleoichneum. He always seems to be insisting on peer reviewed papers, which sort of suggests someone else had the idea first, hence it isn't new if there is peer reviewed articles supporting it. But if you accept logic that is fine by me. Remember I nominated you first I believe.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Logic may not be sufficient support for the likes of Paleoichneum. He always seems to be insisting on peer reviewed papers, which sort of suggests someone else had the idea first, hence it isn't new if there is peer reviewed articles supporting it.
    I think you'll find that the call for peer reviewed papers is somewhat deeper than (and different from) "not accepting a chain of logic" (especially as, in so many cases that chain isn't presented).

    Remember I nominated you first I believe.
    Are you looking for special treatment?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    ....
    Are you looking for special treatment?
    No, but I do want you to show wisdom. Solomon in the Bible was considered the wisest man ever, so you should read his story and ask for wisdom and understanding too.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    [Solomon in the Bible was considered the wisest man ever
    Right, some guy from a book of fairy stories...

    so you should read his story
    As if I hadn't read it already.

    and ask for wisdom and understanding too.
    From whom?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Logic may not be sufficient support for the likes of Paleoichneum. He always seems to be insisting on peer reviewed papers, which sort of suggests someone else had the idea first, hence it isn't new if there is peer reviewed articles supporting it. But if you accept logic that is fine by me. Remember I nominated you first I believe.
    Yes, I do ask you to actually back your assertions with data. Logic is only a part of a system of judging information, and data trumps logic since there is no universal agreement as to what logic is. Stop acting like actually having to support your assertions is a burden on you.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Logic may not be sufficient support for the likes of Paleoichneum. He always seems to be insisting on peer reviewed papers, which sort of suggests someone else had the idea first, hence it isn't new if there is peer reviewed articles supporting it. But if you accept logic that is fine by me. Remember I nominated you first I believe.
    Yes, I do ask you to actually back your assertions with data. Logic is only a part of a system of judging information, and data trumps logic since there is no universal agreement as to what logic is. Stop acting like actually having to support your assertions is a burden on you.
    We are talking about new ideas new "theories" as they are often called. Can there be peer reviewed articles on the new idea? Not if it is original thinking. But some sort of logic needs to be behind the idea.
    If it fails a logical test what chance has it got?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,564
    You should know very very well not to use the term "theory" in that context. And no matter how new he idea, there will be dataand sciences that support the underlying ideas if not the full ideas. There are no exceptions to providing support for an idea when its requested.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    Jesus Christ! I had to force myself to read all your responses. I will try to hold my tongue and merely ask - what do you think it means that an innocent question about the Bible gets you all so bent out of shape? Would you have reacted the same if the OP had a question about his birthday Bhagavad Gita? I would ask why all this hostility toward judeo-christianity, but I see how touchy all you science guys are about your cultural roots. So I will just ask do you think such hostility toward religion - or even just big-mouthed Bob Robbity is healthy or very dignified?

    How about next time, despite any pre-ordained, close-minded Science Forum policies, when someone asks a simple question about any topic that really sticks in your science-man craws, you just let people answer, not launch any so called 'light-hearted barbs' that really just reveal your ignorance of the topic and generally just let it pass. Why is this so important to you? Did the nuns used to beat you for saying the Earth orbits the Sun?

    You are all worthless physicians. "O that you would be completely silent, And that it would become your wisdom! (Job 13:5 revisited)
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  56. #55  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,564
    The response was a light hearted one, one that robbity totally missed entirely and overreacted to.
    The thread was not closed, or deleted, or hidden, so you assertion of overreaction is not founded. And your assertion that we are all christian/ex Christian is also false.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  57. #56  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    Jesus Christ! I had to force myself to read all your responses. I will try to hold my tongue and merely ask - what do you think it means that an innocent question about the Bible gets you all so bent out of shape?
    I wasn't bent out of shape, then or now. My contribution was to point out that your own post was rather thoughtless and ill-informed. Perhaps you are uncomfortable at receiving criticism.
    I would ask why all this hostility toward judeo-christianity, but I see how touchy all you science guys are about your cultural roots. So I will just ask do you think such hostility toward religion - or even just big-mouthed Bob Robbity is healthy or very dignified?
    Again, I trust this remark, in relation to religion, was not aimed at me. I have displayed no such hostility. Hostility to Bob is, arguably, justified. He refuses to read items in context. He refuses to employ logical thought. He routinely cherry picks data to support unfounded assertions. If left unchallenged, science neophyte lurkers would get a very strange view of our understanding of the world.

    If your goal is dignity, the world of interior design may be a more comfortable place.

    How about next time, despite any pre-ordained, close-minded Science Forum policies, when someone asks a simple question about any topic that really sticks in your science-man craws, you just let people answer,
    You were not here to witness the bloody, nasty, emotional battles that occurred before the rules on content of this sub-forum were set.

    My personal view is that the rule is counterproductive, difficult to enforce and antithetical to the aims of the forum. But my view on this cannot determine my actions on the sub-forum. You are advocating breaking forum rules: rules that you agreed to follow when you signed up. Now that is something that could, eventually, bend me out of shape.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  58. #57  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    The response was a light hearted one, one that robbity totally missed entirely and overreacted to.
    The thread was not closed, or deleted, or hidden, so you assertion of overreaction is not founded. And your assertion that we are all christian/ex Christian is also false.
    I only referred to your Judeo-Christian cultural roots, not your personal history. If you or your ancestors are from anywhere west of the Urals and north of sub-Saharan Africa (i.e., "Western") these are your cultural roots. What I meant by overreaction is that this thread is now at 57 posts and no one but me (?) has bothered to actually respond to the OP's question. So I ask, besides Robbity (who apparently is not permitted to have a sense of humor while PhDemon is) being annoying, just what is it about this topic that is getting your goats?
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  59. #58  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,564
    You do not know that I am indeed of christian roots though. There is much more to it then just blanket assertion about posters based on where you think they are from. I am not christian so your assumption fails.

    The thread was derailed by robbity and the discussion before his first post was about the moving from one subforum to another.

    You and robbity are the ones that have seemed to take issue.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  60. #59  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    You do not know that I am indeed of christian roots though. There is much more to it then just blanket assertion about posters based on where you think they are from. I am not christian so your assumption fails.

    The thread was derailed by robbity and the discussion before his first post was about the moving from one subforum to another.

    You and robbity are the ones that have seemed to take issue.
    No one ever said you were a Christian. If you are a non-European (or a European Muslim) good for you. It may be a blanket-assertion to assume everyone here is a Westerner, I feel I can be forgiven it as we are all speaking English. If you are speaking English as a first language or even a second or third, you could not help but having some working familiarity with The Bible, or do you not know such common expressions as 'make hay while the sun shines' or ' his head on a platter' (for instance). Why is that even an issue?

    All I am saying is two or three of us could have simply answered the OP and be done with it. Instead we're talking about where your grand daddy is from and what he believed in. Sure, Robbity is to blame, but so is phDemon then.
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  61. #60  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    You should know very very well not to use the term "theory" in that context. And no matter how new he idea, there will be dataand sciences that support the underlying ideas if not the full ideas. There are no exceptions to providing support for an idea when its requested.
    I'll go along with that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  62. #61  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    You should know very very well not to use the term "theory" in that context. And no matter how new [t]he idea, there will be data_and sciences that support the underlying ideas if not the full ideas. There are no exceptions to providing support for an idea when its requested.
    I'll go along with that.
    I've literally lost the thread. What theory are you referring to? In what context?
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  63. #62  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    [Solomon in the Bible was considered the wisest man ever
    Right, some guy from a book of fairy stories...

    so you should read his story
    As if I hadn't read it already.

    and ask for wisdom and understanding too.
    From whom?
    So you have read it, well read it again and take it in. I wonder if there are further records of his wisdom (psalms, Song of Songs and Proverbs are they attributed to Solomon?) outside of the Bible.
    Ask the Universe. Would that work?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  64. #63  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    :shrug: it was a light hearted joke, if I'd known the forums resident whackjob and his latest supporter would be too thick to realise this I wouldn't have bothered...
    You joke, I joke, and we all have a laugh OK don't get upset.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  65. #64  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    You should know very very well not to use the term "theory" in that context. And no matter how new [t]he idea, there will be data_and sciences that support the underlying ideas if not the full ideas. There are no exceptions to providing support for an idea when its requested.
    I'll go along with that.
    I've literally lost the thread. What theory are you referring to? In what context?
    There has been a lot of discussion over the last 2 months over forum moderation. There are always those that come here saying they have a new theory and the likes of everyone bar me hate that someone can think of something new. Mostly they are totally wrong, but Dywyddyr proposed that the person proposing a new theory has to provide evidence or the thread will be locked after 3 requests.
    So I put the rule into action and asked Demon for evidence for his theory that the Bible had a missing page.
    I was joking of course.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  66. #65  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robittybob1 View Post
    [Solomon in the Bible was considered the wisest man ever
    Right, some guy from a book of fairy stories...

    so you should read his story
    As if I hadn't read it already.

    and ask for wisdom and understanding too.
    From whom?
    So you have read it, well read it again and take it in. I wonder if there are further records of his wisdom (psalms, Song of Songs and Proverbs are they attributed to Solomon?) outside of the Bible.
    Ask the Universe. Would that work?
    You've forgotten Ecclesiastes. It is said that this book asks the questions that all the rest of the Bible answers. It is very agnostic, 'what the hell is all this crap!?' sort of a work - which just goes to show you how rich and varied the books of the the vast collection known as The Bible really is. If I were going to recommend one book (of the Bible) for agnostics and atheists to read, it would be Ecclesiastes. (Do mark that I said "if".)

    BTW, The Book of Solomon in the Apocrypha is often mistakenly attributed to King Solomon (because of its name obviously) but it was written at a much later time by a Hebrew admirer of the king's. Much like someone nowadays (or in the 20th century anyway) might write a letter to the editor of his local newspaper and sign himself, 'Plato'. or ( dare I say it!?) how a certain person who shall remain nameless on this forum could term himself 'John Galt'
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  67. #66  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,804
    • John 12:14 Translations

      King James Version (KJV)

      And Jesus, when he had found a young ass, (sat thereon); as it is written,
    I guess you could insert your favorite canoodling euphemism in the bracketed portion of that quote if you wanted to. Why add 'as it is written' to that verse? Very emphatic, as if that's what we are supposed to think.

    Later on when the ass starts talking, well anyone can let their imagination run wild for that part.

    Just to clarify: I not saying the Bible endorses pedophilia although some may interpret my words that way. Personally any untoward contact with minors disgusts me.
    Last edited by zinjanthropos; October 5th, 2014 at 10:43 AM.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  68. #67  
    flattened rat 甘肃人's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gansu
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    • John 12:14 Translations

      King James Version (KJV)

      And Jesus, when he had found a young ass, (sat thereon); as it is written,
    I guess you could insert your favorite canoodling euphemism in the bracketed portion of that quote if you wanted to. Why add 'as it is written' to that verse? Very emphatic, as if that's what we are supposed to think.

    Later on when the ass starts talking, well anyone can let their imagination run wild for that part.
    'As it is written' refers to the fact that earlier scriptures said this would happen. (Zechariah 9:9) And the talking donkey incident was much earllier when Moses and Israel hadn't even entered the promised land yet. No one knows if Eddie Murphy did the voice-over at that time.
    And what does the Lord require of you but to love justice, to be merciful and to walk humbly with Him?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  69. #68  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    3,804
    Quote Originally Posted by 甘肃人 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    • John 12:14 Translations

      King James Version (KJV)

      And Jesus, when he had found a young ass, (sat thereon); as it is written,
    I guess you could insert your favorite canoodling euphemism in the bracketed portion of that quote if you wanted to. Why add 'as it is written' to that verse? Very emphatic, as if that's what we are supposed to think.

    Later on when the ass starts talking, well anyone can let their imagination run wild for that part.
    'As it is written' refers to the fact that earlier scriptures said this would happen. (Zechariah 9:9) And the talking donkey incident was much earllier when Moses and Israel hadn't even entered the promised land yet. No one knows if Eddie Murphy did the voice-over at that time.
    The best thing about religious text is that you can interpret it anyway you want. I know what I said sounded infantile and not researched but I didn't hold back because I always try to make a point when talking religion, not always obvious. If you get what I'm saying then I don't need to go on.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Hello, my name is according to the Holy Bible.
    By JesurunHolyBible in forum Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: November 25th, 2012, 08:01 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 26th, 2010, 07:56 AM
  3. sOmething about the Bible
    By Heinsbergrelatz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 8th, 2010, 12:06 AM
  4. Bible
    By timel in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 7th, 2008, 09:40 AM
  5. The bible
    By Shaderwolf in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: January 27th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •