Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By nerdyman

Thread: Am I the only kid?

  1. #1 Am I the only kid? 
    Forum Freshman nerdyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11
    I was just wandering if there is any kids on here because I am a kid


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,457
    I think you are the youngest, we have a few teenagers who pop in every now and again but I can't think of any as young as the age you gave in your introduction.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    940
    are you really 9 years old ?

    i know 30 year olds that do not know this much:

    Quote Originally Posted by nerdyman View Post
    Don't know, I use windows 7. If it does need anti virus then try AVG if it is compatible, for malware to malware bytes
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    Kids really do know a lot of stuff that adults might not know they know.

    20+ years ago I remember my husband standing back from assisting 8 or 9 or 10 year old daughter at the computer. He'd helpfully given her a shortcut for a process but she was having none of it. She knew most of her way through "the hard way" and she wanted to master the intricacies of the operating system we had at home as well as the one at school.

    Some people just use a system or an object for particular purposes. Others are more interested in making sure they understand the object and/or the process itself. Think cars and motorbikes. Many of the people we'd call enthusiasts spend as much or more time on taking apart and putting back together than they do on driving or riding.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Hi nerdyman, many of us, although old in years are young in heart.
    scheherazade likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    Where in Florida do you live? The reason I ask is that I live in Key West. It doesn't matter what your age is as long as you like to learn things. Ask away as well for that's the only way you will learn.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    An interest in science is not age-dependent. If anything, you should be excited about being interested in science at such a young age. I've found that many kids view science as frustrating math and incomprehensible biological processes that they have to muddle through in school. But if you apply yourself, whole new worlds of unimaginable wonder open up to you when you explore the world with a scientific mind.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdyman View Post
    I was just wandering if there is any kids on here because I am a kid
    There might be because if any members are less than 5 foot tall everybody else overlooks their presence here.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman nerdyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucknorium View Post
    are you really 9 years old ?i know 30 year olds that do not know this much:
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdyman View Post
    Don't know, I use windows 7. If it does need anti virus then try AVG if it is compatible, for malware to malware bytes
    CraZy I know but I got 2 uncle that teach me a lot about computers, and a spend all day on mine I even have lots of sites and forums
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman nerdyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11
    I also know more about computers than my mom.
    scheherazade likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman nerdyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    An interest in science is not age-dependent. If anything, you should be excited about being interested in science at such a young age. I've found that many kids view science as frustrating math and incomprehensible biological processes that they have to muddle through in school. But if you apply yourself, whole new worlds of unimaginable wonder open up to you when you explore the world with a scientific mind.
    Math is frusterating but science is fun
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman nerdyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    Where in Florida do you live? The reason I ask is that I live in Key West. It doesn't matter what your age is as long as you like to learn things. Ask away as well for that's the only way you will learn.
    In the middle of nowere but I Am pretty close to bunnel
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdyman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    An interest in science is not age-dependent. If anything, you should be excited about being interested in science at such a young age. I've found that many kids view science as frustrating math and incomprehensible biological processes that they have to muddle through in school. But if you apply yourself, whole new worlds of unimaginable wonder open up to you when you explore the world with a scientific mind.
    Math is frusterating but science is fun
    If only math weren't so crucial to most science. I struggle with it as well. Always have.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdyman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    Where in Florida do you live? The reason I ask is that I live in Key West. It doesn't matter what your age is as long as you like to learn things. Ask away as well for that's the only way you will learn.
    In the middle of nowere but I Am pretty close to bunnel
    https://www.edx.org/, try it and see if you enjoy it.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. They Rescued a Kid
    By Schneibster in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 13th, 2014, 08:23 PM
  2. New/old kid on the block!
    By redrooster in forum Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 9th, 2013, 07:05 PM
  3. New kid on the block
    By LA Jay in forum Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 20th, 2010, 05:09 AM
  4. Hi Im the new kid
    By Smurkey Smurk in forum Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM
  5. The New Kid
    By Hazardx in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 28th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •