Notices
Results 1 to 31 of 31
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By astromark
  • 1 Post By jrmonroe
  • 1 Post By jrmonroe
  • 1 Post By sculptor
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 1 Post By sculptor
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 1 Post By sculptor
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 1 Post By cosmictraveler
  • 1 Post By John Galt

Thread: In which direction earth is going?

  1. #1 In which direction earth is going? 
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    In which direction earth is going?


    Yes. It is confusing. Earth keeps on rotating on its axis and completes one rotation (Eastward) in one day. This is not all , to further confuse us it also revolves around a star which is usually called the Sun. This revolution takes 365 days. The earth revolves around the sun, in the same direction that the Earth rotates about it's axis. Sigh....
    This is not all , as Earth is not alone. The whole solar system is revolving around that same star. Sun is like shephard and all planets are like lambs which Sun keeps in close vicinity while it completes its One revolution around galactic core in 250 Million years. Is it not funny. And this not all. Confusion keeps on adding . This galaxy in which Sun resides , has its own rotation (Eastward if seen from outside ie counter clockwise). ha ha aha. And we dont know if Milkyway is the satellite galaxy for any other galaxy. In that case more revolutions and rotations.
    My question is why so much motion in universe? And in which direction is our dear earth going in very very very LONG RUN? (if we save it from destruction)

    (I have written all this in a very funny mood. Just for change )


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    If you stand on your head it's all going the opposite way!!! EGAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    sir ir r aj likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    To undertake a complete understanding of this quest you will need to rise from your slumber at 3.50 am. Which is a painful hour to become motivated. I am suggesting you go outside at this time of the predawn night and look straight up. This is the direction of Earths motion around the Sun.. The axial plain of the Galaxy is offset some 60 deg., from the Solar systems plain.. From any dark sky site a view of the Milky Way can confirm this view.. We are indeed fortunate to be able to see these things from almost any place on Earth. A visit to a app program like 'Stellurium' or 'celestia' may help you understand.. As you have written it. You do seem to grasp most of the motions apparent. Talking with a working astronomer will induce much arm waving and discussion.. Welcome to astronomy.
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    If you consider the most recognized/accepted theory for the formation of our solar system — the Solar Nebula Theory — then it makes perfect sense that the galaxy, the solar system, the Sun, most of the planets and their moons all orbit/spin basically about the same axis. (Venus and Uranus are two obvious exceptions, and scientists are currently forming a conspiracy theory to explain their misbehavior .)
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,517
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    In which direction earth is going?
    Downhill?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,328
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    You do seem to grasp most of the motions apparent. Talking with a working astronomer will induce much arm waving and discussion.
    I've yet to confidently reckon the sun's position from looking at the night moon. Try as I might, it's a regular raspberry to my ego.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    46
    Earth?

    Direction?

    A gravitational pull right, one no one can explain?

    It seems obvious......beyond anyone's comprehension of gravity right?

    Am I wrong?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    In which direction earth is going?
    Downhill?
    what prompted you to think in this way? Are you hopeless? (Hope exists )
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffFailing View Post
    Earth?

    Direction?

    A gravitational pull right, one no one can explain?

    It seems obvious......beyond anyone's comprehension of gravity right?

    Am I wrong?
    What are you saying dear? please in simple terms. Thank you
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmonroe View Post
    If you consider the most recognized/accepted theory for the formation of our solar system — the Solar Nebula Theory — then it makes perfect sense that the galaxy, the solar system, the Sun, most of the planets and their moons all orbit/spin basically about the same axis. (Venus and Uranus are two obvious exceptions, and scientists are currently forming a conspiracy theory to explain their misbehavior .)
    that means earth is not going anywhere? But in my first post I think otherwise.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    To undertake a complete understanding of this quest you will need to rise from your slumber at 3.50 am. Which is a painful hour to become motivated. I am suggesting you go outside at this time of the predawn night and look straight up. This is the direction of Earths motion around the Sun.. The axial plain of the Galaxy is offset some 60 deg., from the Solar systems plain.. From any dark sky site a view of the Milky Way can confirm this view.. We are indeed fortunate to be able to see these things from almost any place on Earth.
    Dear is this a fact? Hesitating to ask if it is really true? Please teach me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Professor jrmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmonroe View Post
    If you consider the most recognized/accepted theory for the formation of our solar system — the Solar Nebula Theory — then it makes perfect sense that the galaxy, the solar system, the Sun, most of the planets and their moons all orbit/spin basically about the same axis. (Venus and Uranus are two obvious exceptions, and scientists are currently forming a conspiracy theory to explain their misbehavior .)
    that means earth is not going anywhere? But in my first post I think otherwise.
    I meant that the universe in general seems to swirl in a particular direction about a particular axis. When matter accumulated into the our Milky Way galaxy, it continued to rotate in the same manner. When a smaller amount of matter accumulated into our Solar System, it continued to rotate in the same manner. And when an even smaller amount of matter accumulated into our planet Earth, it also continued to rotate in the same manner.

    So, yes, the Earth is going somewhere. It spins about its axis, it orbits the Sun, it rotates as part of the Milky Way, and it swirls along with the rest of the universe (if the universe does, indeed, swirl ... which seems reasonable).
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    Grief is the price we pay for love. (CM Parkes) Our postillion has been struck by lightning. (Unknown) War is always the choice of the chosen who will not have to fight. (Bono) The years tell much what the days never knew. (RW Emerson) Reality is not always probable, or likely. (JL Borges)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Several years ago, I found myself standing atop a mountain in Ecuador, hurtling towards the east at over 1000 miles per hour, with no sensation of motion.
    We ride the crust of a spinning earth which spins around a sun which spins around a galactic center which moves around a galactic cluster which rides a cosmic "river".

    Where are we going?
    A damned good question indeed.
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffFailing View Post
    Earth?

    Direction?

    A gravitational pull right, one no one can explain?

    It seems obvious......beyond anyone's comprehension of gravity right?

    Am I wrong?
    Not clue what you're talking about.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    @sculptor: Yes, I am worried too. Where are we headed , and who is our driver and what is our next stop?
    Your term "cosmic river" caught my attention. Where is it headed? same in the direction of earth.
    Your reply was poetic. Thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Yes, I am worried too.
    Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Where are we headed
    Along our trajectory.

    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    , and who is our driver
    Gravitational forces.

    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    and what is our next stop?
    Hopefully, we won't come to a stop.

    Are we still talking about the movement of Earth through the galaxy or is this becoming some weird philosophical thing?
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Yes, I am worried too.
    Why?
    Because I dont know where I am travelling in this infinitely vast universe
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Where are we headed
    Along our trajectory.
    what trajectory!

    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    , and who is our driver
    Gravitational forces.
    Ok
    Are we still talking about the movement of Earth through the galaxy or is this becoming some weird philosophical thing?
    There is no philosophy. its just naked truth.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    Why worry?
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    Why worry?
    Because I know How much insignificant I am in this universe.
    (Dont worry its not a psychiatric problem , I am Just worried academically.)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Because I dont know where I am travelling in this infinitely vast universe
    Earth has done just fine for the past 4.54 billion years. What makes you think something is going to happen in your short lifetime?

    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    what trajectory!
    The spiral of the Orion arm around the Milky Way.
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    OK
    When I was a lad, the word "worry" was used to indicate an approach to an unknown(had to do with attention given to the thing, or incessantly reformulating an approach until it produced the desired result).
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    OK
    When I was a lad, the word "worry" was used to indicate an approach to an unknown(had to do with attention given to the thing, or incessantly reformulating an approach until it produced the desired result).
    Thanks it helped.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Because I dont know where I am travelling in this infinitely vast universe
    Earth has done just fine for the past 4.54 billion years. What makes you think something is going to happen in your short lifetime?
    Na.... I am not afraid. i am just curious. I am not a patient person. I want all universe before my eyes, and want to know all mysteries.

    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    what trajectory!
    The spiral of the Orion arm around the Milky Way.
    Where is Milky Way! where. can you locate it precisely in this universe?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Where is Milky Way! where. can you locate it precisely in this universe?
    Sure. The red text is Earth.

    sir ir r aj likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Wonderful Flick. Thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Might want to download it. I can't get it to blow up and I don't know where I got it initially.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    circles
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    circles
    Thanks, But are you suggesting that all the galaxies in this universe are also revolving in a circle around some center. If proved than it will be ground breaking discovery.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    The Earth has been auctioned. Going, going, gone.
    sir ir r aj likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    The Earth has been auctioned. Going, going, gone.
    Now , its not my headache where it is going. Thanks JG Sir for this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    circles
    Thanks, But are you suggesting that all the galaxies in this universe are also revolving in a circle around some center. If proved than it will be ground breaking discovery.
    You only asked about the earth not the entire universe.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Point me in the right direction
    By WareMorgan in forum Education
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 1st, 2013, 10:02 AM
  2. Question About Direction
    By Uw-Nw in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 5th, 2012, 06:45 PM
  3. Temporal Direction/Velocity
    By kojax in forum Personal Theories & Alternative Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2010, 05:25 AM
  4. A Direction in College
    By troupkid in forum Biology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 30th, 2009, 07:37 AM
  5. Direction In Space !!
    By Yash in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •