Notices
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By adelady

Thread: How to present a new discovery

  1. #1 How to present a new discovery 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    8
    Hi there, im new to the forum just like to say hi first before asking questions

    Im not in the medical profession.

    I have been doing my own research on a particular microorganism which is airborne, this research is me and my partner spouse funded by ourself. I believe i have come across a organism which has never been discovered before, i have been studying this for years now. Im 100% sure this has not been discovered.

    My question is how does one present a new discovery, i can captivate the organism anytime i need, i know what it does meaning as behaviour and habits, it plays a distructive part in the human body.

    How do i go about, and who approves that this is a new discovery, how do i become the named discoverer as to put a name title on this.

    Any advice good or bad is greatly appreciated, by the way im in England.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    I'd start by subscribing to a couple of microbiology journals or finding a library with access to them. Here's a "top ten" list Top Microbiology Journals

    Have a look at a few issues online and see which ones best line up with your work and look at them for the sort of stuff you have to work on.

    Your biggest issue will be identifying similar organisms and then describing how and why the one you're talking about is not described in the literature. Ensuring that it is correctly categorised as this particular kind of bacterium/ virus/ fungus/ whatever rather than as another which looks a bit like it is a pretty big ask. This will take quite a bit of work, especially if you want to keep the resulting paper to a reasonable size.

    Then you need to learn to write like a biologist. Reading as many papers as you can will be a good exercise for you.


    KALSTER and John Galt like this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    I'd start by subscribing to a couple of microbiology journals or finding a library with access to them. Here's a "top ten" list Top Microbiology Journals

    Have a look at a few issues online and see which ones best line up with your work and look at them for the sort of stuff you have to work on.

    Your biggest issue will be identifying similar organisms and then describing how and why the one you're talking about is not described in the literature. Ensuring that it is correctly categorised as this particular kind of bacterium/ virus/ fungus/ whatever rather than as another which looks a bit like it is a pretty big ask. This will take quite a bit of work, especially if you want to keep the resulting paper to a reasonable size.

    Then you need to learn to write like a biologist. Reading as many papers as you can will be a good exercise for you.

    Thanks Adelady, much appreciated i like the journal link im in a sticky situation, this organism if a army of researches spent a century they would never find this meaning captivate it. It immediatly can take costody of a immune system cell and go undetected stretch to suit transparant, i cant compare this organism i have this organsim raw no where to run. Just saying no one would figure out capture, i just discovered a weak spot it cant resist. I have not exposed these samples to anyone, someone else will claim it as Im a regular person, i know its tricky out there. Thanks for the information anything is good, anymore info fire away please.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    How about contacting the biology department of your local university to see if anyone is interested on working with you on this?
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Tancho, I think the advice you have received so far is good. I want to emphasise one part of it. adelady suggested you need to learn to write like a biologist. This is very important.

    I do not wish to offend, but your writing in this thread is rather weak. Your spelling is bad, your grammar peculiar and some of your sentences are ambiguous. Unfortunately, no matter how good your idea is, many people will make a judgement based on the quality of the writing, so you need to find a way of dealing with this. If you follow Strange's suggestion of a professional collaborator then they could likely take care of that side of things. Or you might find an acquaintance who could tidy your writing up.

    Good luck.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Tancho, I think the advice you have received so far is good. I want to emphasise one part of it. adelady suggested you need to learn to write like a biologist. This is very important.

    I do not wish to offend, but your writing in this thread is rather weak. Your spelling is bad, your grammar peculiar and some of your sentences are ambiguous. Unfortunately, no matter how good your idea is, many people will make a judgement based on the quality of the writing, so you need to find a way of dealing with this. If you follow Strange's suggestion of a professional collaborator then they could likely take care of that side of things. Or you might find an acquaintance who could tidy your writing up.

    Good luck.
    No offence taken, i understand im not talking like a person in this profession, and both your advice and Adeladys is very good, thats why i am going to order a number of biology related magazines to understand better, any more info fire away sir.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    How about contacting the biology department of your local university to see if anyone is interested on working with you on this?
    Thanks for the advice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Are we living in the time of present
    By manusaaa1 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 20th, 2012, 07:44 AM
  2. Why are corporations a present danger?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM
  3. Present for Daytonturner
    By verzen in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 14th, 2009, 07:29 AM
  4. Do you think the superpowers have 'at present' plans to..
    By B1AZE in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •