Notices
Results 1 to 52 of 52
Like Tree22Likes
  • 1 Post By Tranquille
  • 2 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By Harold14370
  • 1 Post By MacGyver1968
  • 1 Post By blackscorp
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 4 Post By Tranquille
  • 3 Post By Ascended
  • 2 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By babe
  • 1 Post By Alec Bing
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana

Thread: India or not India

  1. #1 India or not India 
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Alright, so a friend (female) of mine was invited to a wedding in India, the country. I have heard nothing but bad things about this land. Nothing good about any of it. I don't like their customer service. It's crippled with diseases including things w/ low recovery rates, I watched a documentary about antibiotic immune bacteria which was noted as being a problem in India, rape is a gigantic issue - I don't even want to think about that part.

    So with my worries in a bundle, am I valid for my concerns?

    I was thinking of talking her out of it. Heck, maybe even getting her to miss the trip somehow. Should I? Am I right to want this? would I be right to do it? or would I be in the wrong?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    prejudice rears it's ugly head yet once again

    may I suggest looking again?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    well I would look out for the ganges... and monkeys
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    precious sir ir r aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    668
    Hey come on , India is a nice country. This is a prpaganda against India.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Masters Degree Tranquille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Solar System
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Alright, so a friend (female) of mine was invited to a wedding in India, the country. I have heard nothing but bad things about this land. Nothing good about any of it. I don't like their customer service. It's crippled with diseases including things w/ low recovery rates, I watched a documentary about antibiotic immune bacteria which was noted as being a problem in India, rape is a gigantic issue - I don't even want to think about that part.

    So with my worries in a bundle, am I valid for my concerns?

    I was thinking of talking her out of it. Heck, maybe even getting her to miss the trip somehow. Should I? Am I right to want this? would I be right to do it? or would I be in the wrong?
    A relative of mine went there for a holiday last year.

    She said it was the most beautiful country she has been to, with places hidden away that she thought were stunning. The photos she took, just the colors of the markets, the people, just even the smallest buildings.. They are amazing.

    I think if you look at something negatively and you are intent to hate it because you want to hate it, then yeah, you will want to talk your friend out of it. But you do your friend a disservice based solely on your own personal prejudices.
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    only rich hippies go to india
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Chero, may I ask you two questions? (Three including that one.)

    1. Where do you live?
    2. Where have you visited beyond your own country?
    KALSTER and sir ir r aj like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,194
    One of my daughter's Mentor's was from India. When she was working in Singapore he invited her at the end of her assignment to visit with his family in India. She found it quite beautiful.

    Until you experience the country, you really cannot judge.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    A friend from work just retired and moved back to India. I guess it must not be that bad.
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    Dude...they got more than a BILLION people (and growing)...can't be that deadly.
    KALSTER likes this.
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    chero likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptor View Post
    prejudice rears it's ugly head yet once again

    may I suggest looking again?
    look again at what? The environment of India?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Chero, may I ask you two questions? (Three including that one.)

    1. Where do you live?
    2. Where have you visited beyond your own country?
    I live in the golden US of A. =)
    No, I have yet to step foot outside my country.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post

    A relative of mine went there for a holiday last year.

    She said it was the most beautiful country she has been to, with places hidden away that she thought were stunning. The photos she took, just the colors of the markets, the people, just even the smallest buildings.. They are amazing.

    I think if you look at something negatively and you are intent to hate it because you want to hate it, then yeah, you will want to talk your friend out of it. But you do your friend a disservice based solely on your own personal prejudices.
    noun

    noun: prejudice; plural noun: prejudices

    1.
    preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.
    I don't need to experience meth to know it is bad, nor to know not to travel to Afghanistan, Iran, or some other jacked up country.
    Reason involves looking at all the risks, facts, goods, etc.

    Beauty of some country is not in my interest. that is my perspective. why? because it means nothing compared to friends/family. what good is any of that if my friend doesn't even come back? or does so mentally jacked up?

    reason considers it all. am I wrong?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    If nothing else, a visit to khajuraho would be worth the trip.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Alright, so a friend (female) of mine was invited to a wedding in India, the country.
    forget about the concerns - weddings in India can be a 5-day long party, you (or your friend ) MUST go if only for the experience !
    just be careful about Delhi belly, but otherwise India is a FAB country
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,194
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Chero, may I ask you two questions? (Three including that one.)

    1. Where do you live?
    2. Where have you visited beyond your own country?
    I live in the golden US of A. =)
    No, I have yet to step foot outside my country.
    Then how can you possibly critique another country. You have no experience or knowledge of any other culture!
    pyoko likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Yes. Wrong and prejudiced. You have never left your own country but think it is acceptable to denigrate another. Utter ignorance.
    Are truly saying, that a person can only come to the wrong conclusion, only because they have never visited a single location? In no way, could I be correct in understanding a location's condition purely on information?

    Must I enter a crack house to know for sure, it is? The police reports, the news reports, first hand accounts do nothing but lie to me? To you?

    Have you been to India?

    Furthermore, I am not "denigrating another." U.S. govt. is "jacked up," the condition of my home town is "jacked up," there are a lot of things "jacked up"... that is not an insult, and I have not said anything to conclude that I have. Attacking a person's reputation when you do not know their purpose or interest is jacked up.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    No, I have yet to step foot outside my country.
    Then how can you possibly critique another country. You have no experience or knowledge of any other culture!
    That statement alone is the most ignorant on this board...besides the thought that I am denigrating another country.

    please do consider the question: how do you know crack cocaine is bad? It is a drug, people are happy to use it, but still it is illegal? why?
    because the information presented before us deems it to be dangerous.

    The same is true about a crack house, a back alley, a neighborhood your parents told you to stay away from (well I have that experience), and the country to which even the U.S. govt. has informed its citizens to either be "extra careful" to "leave/stay away" (I am not saying the u.s. govt. or any govt. has said such things about india, but only pointing out that many govts. through out history has deemed a location unsafe).

    So why is the above acceptable? Information! this is the millennium! 2013! Information travels faster than anything around us. information is all that is needed. saying, you just need to experience it first hand is the worst and most illogical peer pressure that gets illogical beings into drugs such as meth or crack cocaine. Is this not a science forum?

    That is why I posted this darn thing. to gain information about India. so far its not too bad, but it could go a whole lot better. better than "you're just prejudice, ignorant..."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    What I am saying is that someone with such a limited experience of the world outside their own country (i.e. no experience at all) making blanket statements like you did in the OP is extremely ignorant. If you don't like that, tough, it's what you are.
    What blanker statement? I mentioned facts about the country based on other peoples experiences. based on news reports, based on documentaries. actual facts! ignorance is not knowing or ignoring information. I have been considering information instead of magical whims of "beauty." A subjective term.

    Oh, and my friend has already told me about some of her living conidtions in which she was told to be aware of - for instance, having to keep her mouth closed during a shower so she does not get some bloody disease. sure this may happen anywhere, but that is an indication that she would not be in a "better" place of india.

    perhaps I should not have added the joke about their customer service.

    do you not consider the risks before making a decision?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Masters Degree Tranquille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Solar System
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    I don't need to experience meth to know it is bad, nor to know not to travel to Afghanistan, Iran, or some other jacked up country.
    We aren't talking about a jacked up country. We are talking about India, which for all intents and purposes, has not degenerated into a state of War with missiles raining down on wedding parties.

    Contrary to what you may believe, India is not crippled with disease. You have yet to provide any figures to back up this ridiculous claim. Certainly, you need to make sure you have your shots before you go, but that would be the same as traveling to most countries. You mentioned rape in your OP. India has had a lot of publicity lately because rape is now something that is being discussed in public, after a few very public rape crimes which garnered international and national attention. Does this mean that women should not travel to India, because they could be raped? No. If such an argument were to be made, then women should live like hermits and never come into contact with anyone of the opposite sex, as you are more likely to be raped by someone you know. Just because they had a few very public rape cases does not mean that rape is so widespread that all men and women should avoid the country at all cost.

    I find it especially amusing that you have never left the US, but you feel it is acceptable to persuade others to not visit other countries because you feel they don't live up to your very American standards.

    Reason involves looking at all the risks, facts, goods, etc.
    Does your friend work or go to school? Do you tell her to not go to school or work because there have been a spate of shootings in public areas in the US, and if we apply the standard you are applying to India, then it stands to reason she should not be leaving her own home at all, if you are going to look at the risks, facts, goods, etc. Which would be pretty stupid.

    Beauty of some country is not in my interest. that is my perspective. why? because it means nothing compared to friends/family. what good is any of that if my friend doesn't even come back? or does so mentally jacked up?
    Your friend could go out in a car and never come back. Do you stop her from leaving the house?

    Perhaps your friend wants to go because of her friend who is getting married. You should respect her desire to go for her friend and not be so selfish and convince her to forgo her friendship and miss an incredible experience because you appear to be xenophobic.

    reason considers it all. am I wrong?
    Yes you are. Very wrong.

    Personally, I'd go just for their handmade leather sandals - best sandals.. just saying, the food, the culture, the people, the scenery and the amazing architecture, heritage listed architecture. It is a chance in a lifetime and to experience an Indian wedding in India. It is an incredible opportunity. It is a shame her friend is not more supportive and happy for her to go.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Hey come on , India is a nice country.
    Can you share some of the nice things about it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    ...you do your friend a disservice
    Thank you for stating this.
    Last edited by chero; November 2nd, 2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    So saying: "I don't like their customer service. It's crippled with diseases including things w/ low recovery rates, I watched a documentary about antibiotic immune bacteria which was noted as being a problem in India, rape is a gigantic issue - I don't even want to think about that part." is not prejudiced to you? Passing judgement about something you admit you know little (i.e. nothing) about? If you think that is not prejudice you are even more ignorant than you appear. You're going on ignore with the other loons, bigots and fools.
    Are you saying India does not have dangers?

    Is it wrong to make a decision or to dislike a location because the information shared about it is not pleasant?

    Back in the day, African Americans stayed away from the locations controlled or present with the KKK. Is this prejudice?

    Dangers exist all around us, I already understand that. I just think if an area presents itself as being more dangerous than others, you become more cautious. If the dangers are unreasonable, you refrain from it. Is this truly the incorrect train of thought?
    Last edited by chero; November 2nd, 2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquille View Post
    you appear to be xenophobic.
    Finally. an substance...difficult to dispute
    Your opinion of me is wrong...or is that the point?
    No, I do admit my fear is something else.

    We are talking about India, which for all intents and purposes, has not degenerated into a state of War with missiles raining down on wedding parties.
    You mean, like in Israel?



    You have yet to provide any figures
    I have been trying not to.

    Every search has developed more articles (news or other) on another outbreak killing hundreds. This does not help.
    Last edited by chero; November 2nd, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,434
    Hello there chero, first off let me congratulate you for caring enough about your friend's wellfare and safety to take the time and trouble to conduct research.

    Perhaps you can express your concern by helping your friend become more informed of what she can expect, certainly it's never a bad idea to have some local knowledge when travelling abroad. This could also help to alleviate some of your own fears about her safety, as you'll both be able to learn a little about the place she will be visiting.

    What I think you will discover is that India is just like many places in the world, yes sure it has it's problems but the truth is very few don't and this doesn't and certainly shouldn't stop people from visiting. India is a massive country with a huge population, things may differ massively from place to place so perhaps this is where some local knowledge could make the difference and then you can be aware of the all things to look out for.

    But please don't take just an entirely negative view of what is surely such a diverse and beautiful country, India has so much to see and offer to visitors and millions of people travel there every year and have a great time, but don't just take my word for it, have a look at the travel guide website lonelyplanet, Lonely Planet Travel Guides and Travel Information, it's a great source if information and helps give travellers some great advice of what they can expect when they arrive.

    To get a better idea of what a lovely place to visit it really could be check out the link below:

    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=im...india&tbm=isch

    Finally, I hope you can help your friend in the right way, and she has a great trip which she really enjoys!
    Last edited by Ascended; November 2nd, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
    John Galt, chero and babe like this.
    “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.”

    Bertrand Russell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    I would like to thank all of you that have responded.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Every American should visit other places...having traveled the world I have to say Americans are probably the absolute most ignorant people about other places and cultures among those with the means to travel.


    Learn a few hundred worlds. Read about the amazing cultures. Hit the State Department and CIA web sites about protecting oneself and the laws there.

    Go to India. Register with the local consulate when you get there and have an hell of a good time not only at the wedding but mixing with the culture's food, peoples, crazy ways to get around, bartering and laughing with the locals at the market and a hundred other memorable things, take a billion pictures, don't big a piggish pushy American, and keep an open mind.

    Spend the rest of your life a better and vastly more interesting person. Put that wondrous looks of amazement in your grand children's eyes as you retell your adventures.
    KALSTER and Alec Bing like this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,194
    Never had a problem in any country I have ever visited. Ever. Learn a few phrases. Be polite. Learn and welcome the food and the culture and you will be just fine.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Never had a problem in any country I have ever visited. Ever. Learn a few phrases. Be polite. Learn and welcome the food and the culture and you will be just fine.
    Did you ever go to India? Has anyone here ever gone to India?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,194
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Never had a problem in any country I have ever visited. Ever. Learn a few phrases. Be polite. Learn and welcome the food and the culture and you will be just fine.
    Did you ever go to India? Has anyone here ever gone to India?
    I have several friends who have gone to India. They never had a problem. My daughter went to India. Never had a problem. Only place on this planet she has been to, and she has been to more places in her short life than my entire family has in their ENTIRE lives was in Malaysia.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,194
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    No, I have yet to step foot outside my country.
    Then how can you possibly critique another country. You have no experience or knowledge of any other culture!
    That statement alone is the most ignorant on this board...besides the thought that I am denigrating another country.

    please do consider the question: how do you know crack cocaine is bad? It is a drug, people are happy to use it, but still it is illegal? why?
    because the information presented before us deems it to be dangerous.

    The same is true about a crack house, a back alley, a neighborhood your parents told you to stay away from (well I have that experience), and the country to which even the U.S. govt. has informed its citizens to either be "extra careful" to "leave/stay away" (I am not saying the u.s. govt. or any govt. has said such things about india, but only pointing out that many govts. through out history has deemed a location unsafe).

    So why is the above acceptable? Information! this is the millennium! 2013! Information travels faster than anything around us. information is all that is needed. saying, you just need to experience it first hand is the worst and most illogical peer pressure that gets illogical beings into drugs such as meth or crack cocaine. Is this not a science forum?

    That is why I posted this darn thing. to gain information about India. so far its not too bad, but it could go a whole lot better. better than "you're just prejudice, ignorant..."
    Back tracking.....I missed this...thus the late response.

    My statement was in no way shape or form, ignorant, but rather insightful.

    If you have not experienced other cultures than you are ignorant in that way. NO offense intended.

    Other countries are NOT like the USA and they have different mannerisms, expressions, food, buildings, music, rivers, cars, transportation that if you have never been there, you have never experienced!

    MY DAUGHTER LIVES IN SWITZERLAND! I visit her and it surely isn't America, but it's delightful. My family if from Europe.....is it different, yes, but it's refreshing in it's own way.

    Do people have bad experiences in travel, be it the USA or INDIA....of course, but I have yet to hear of a person having a bad experience in India.

    That person is not traveling to live in India but to visit. I am sure they will make sure she has a great experience.

    Get the shots needed....as my friends who have been there at LEAST five times and my daughter at least once did. It is NOT riddled with diseases!....Sheesh! Enough of the UGLY AMERICAN stuff....educate yourself.

    We were invited on a CARGO (logs) ship from India by the Captain for dinner on the ship. (8 of us)

    We had AMAZING food, a gracious crew and a lovely time TWENTY years ago!

    GO and ENJOY!!

    What a wonderful new culture to expand your or her horizons!
    Alec Bing likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,194
    Ascended....you are always so eloquent and I am so blunt!! *sigh* Can I adopt you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    who sees through things
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK now, US before
    Posts
    269
    India is a very big country. What city? What section of the city? Would you tell people not to come to America because there are high violent crime rates in some neighborhoods in Detroit?
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    who sees through things
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK now, US before
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    [
    please do consider the question: how do you know crack cocaine is bad? It is a drug, people are happy to use it, but still it is illegal? why?
    because the information presented before us deems it to be dangerous.

    You would understand even more about crack use if you knew someone who'd actually used it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Bing View Post
    India is a very big country. What city? What section of the city? Would you tell people not to come to America because there are high violent crime rates in some neighborhoods in Detroit?
    I know several people who don't ever want to visit my home town because of the crime, etc. I met friends outside of town because of the constant shootings and gun fights that led to the town's highest murder rate, majority being collateral damage as a result of gangs or feuds. Yea, feuds.

    I am a huge activist/believer in self-defense, which includes knowing your environment and leaving or abstaining from that environment if it is too dangerous. Kind of like how beaches close when there are sharks about. This does not just include areas in which a stray bullets may hit you, but areas known to have sexual predators. So far, my research has come up with mores issues than solutions.

    Sexual Assault in India - CrowdVoice.org
    United Nations News Centre - UN human rights chief calls for profound change in India in wake of gang-rape tragedy

    there's more, but I don't desire to read them all and post them.
    I'm trying to get the where

    You would understand even more about crack use if you knew someone who'd actually used it.
    Only how they use it and where to get it, so nothing useful. Otherwise, its chemical compound, life as an addict, addiction, the mind of an addict, how it devistates your body and mind, etc. etc. are all in literature.
    Last edited by chero; January 2nd, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Did you ever go to India? Has anyone here ever gone to India?
    What are some tips some are willing to share in traveling to India or anywhere?

    I've been reading up on what some online blogs and travel agencies have been saying.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,194
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Did you ever go to India? Has anyone here ever gone to India?
    What are some tips some are willing to share in traveling to India or anywhere?

    I've been reading up on what some online blogs and travel agencies have been saying.
    I'd have to ask my daughter and she will be on a plane back to Zurich so that could take awhile.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Did you ever go to India? Has anyone here ever gone to India?
    What are some tips some are willing to share in traveling to India or anywhere?

    I've been reading up on what some online blogs and travel agencies have been saying.
    I'd have to ask my daughter and she will be on a plane back to Zurich so that could take awhile.
    ha ha. well thanks for considering that, but that's alright. you don't have to.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    For some reason, you OP conjured up an image of Karl Pilkington visiting India.



    Like all countries, India has its ugly side. Don't let your prejudices get in the way of a fascinating new experience.
    babe likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    For some reason, you OP conjured up an image of Karl Pilkington visiting India.



    Like all countries, India has its ugly side. Don't let your prejudices get in the way of a fascinating new experience.
    ABSOLUTELY! Go in with an open mind or you NEVER learn the culture!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,194
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Did you ever go to India? Has anyone here ever gone to India?
    What are some tips some are willing to share in traveling to India or anywhere?

    I've been reading up on what some online blogs and travel agencies have been saying.
    I'd have to ask my daughter and she will be on a plane back to Zurich so that could take awhile.
    ha ha. well thanks for considering that, but that's alright. you don't have to.
    Actually, I do. She is an expat so she is all over the world at times. A good source of information. When she has the time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Actually, I do. She is an expat so she is all over the world at times. A good source of information. When she has the time.
    what is an expat?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Moderator Moderator Janus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Actually, I do. She is an expat so she is all over the world at times. A good source of information. When she has the time.
    what is an expat?
    Short for expatriate, which in this case I assume means a professional who works in countries other than her own.
    "Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feelings for the strength of their argument.
    The heated mind resents the chill touch & relentless scrutiny of logic"-W.E. Gladstone


    Edit/Delete Message
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,194
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Actually, I do. She is an expat so she is all over the world at times. A good source of information. When she has the time.
    what is an expat?
    An expatriate (sometimes shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person's upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland").
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Actually, I do. She is an expat so she is all over the world at times. A good source of information. When she has the time.
    what is an expat?
    Short for expatriate, which in this case I assume means a professional who works in countries other than her own.
    Yes, my daughter is an American working for her firm in Zurich, Switzerland.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Genius Idiot Rajnish Kaushik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by sir ir r aj View Post
    Hey come on , India is a nice country. This is a prpaganda against India.
    I m an indian if you come here and u are a female then you should never come to india and if you then 89%chances are that you will be dear or raped or...
    if male then murdered of your wallet will be lost every second day(as it happens to me)
    its my country i know abt it very good
    havent you heard abt the delhi rape cases and others things so please please please dont come to india and if you then please meet me my no is contact details deleted
    Last edited by adelady; February 12th, 2014 at 01:17 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,194
    My daughter visited India. One of her work "Mentor's" when she started her career is from India. She visited with the family.

    I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area and our first neighbors who bought the house next to us were from India. DELIGHTFUL people!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Genius Idiot Rajnish Kaushik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    My daughter visited India. One of her work "Mentor's" when she started her career is from India. She visited with the family.

    I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area and our first neighbors who bought the house next to us were from India. DELIGHTFUL people!!
    i m indial too and good indians travel aboard sic=nce my country sucks
    "Think like a man of action,act like a man of action"
    Henry Louis Bergson"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Forum Senior chero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    365
    friend went. she's happy. Im happy. fun time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Question about India
    By Impactor in forum History
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: March 8th, 2014, 09:10 AM
  2. Student of +1 in India
    By saurabhstardom in forum Biology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 14th, 2014, 11:05 PM
  3. Aliens in Ancient India.
    By mmatt9876 in forum History
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 8th, 2012, 02:56 AM
  4. HI, I am Rohit, 17, India
    By satrohraj in forum Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 14th, 2007, 07:45 AM
  5. Tablets for India
    By RashpalSingh in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 27th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •