Notices
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By Harold14370
  • 1 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 4 Post By John Galt
  • 2 Post By Flick Montana
  • 2 Post By scoobydoo1

Thread: Neil deGrasse Tyson - What exactly has this guy done for science?

  1. #1 Neil deGrasse Tyson - What exactly has this guy done for science? 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1
    Okay, so he was part of a team that decided Pluto wasn't a planet... WOW!!! What an accomplishment!!!

    This guy is so popular, and everyone treats him like he's the most important man in science. But other than being a a fun, accessible, and effective communicator of science, what has he really done for science? People compare him to Carl Sagan, but is that really fair?

    It seems that he's just science's token black guy, and it makes people feel good to know and like him.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Moved to trash can. Not worth discussing, really.


    On Edit: retrieved from trash can to salvage useful discussion by other members.


    Last edited by Harold14370; October 24th, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    You can ask that same question about anyone who makes science fun, accessible, and is an effective communicator of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by kylio27 View Post
    Okay, so he was part of a team that decided Pluto wasn't a planet... WOW!!! What an accomplishment!!!

    This guy is so popular, and everyone treats him like he's the most important man in science. But other than being a a fun, accessible, and effective communicator of science, what has he really done for science? People compare him to Carl Sagan, but is that really fair?

    It seems that he's just science's token black guy, and it makes people feel good to know and like him.
    Trash is what this is.. and I will reply. " What he has done is brought to the masses real science and astronomy.
    ( Just as Mr Sagan did. ) Making it popular just as ' The Big Bang's Sheldon.. has. He IS a effective communicator.
    I detect a note of ignorant sarcasm from your opening salvo.. " Re Pluto." The primary reason for Pluto demotion was the FACT that no less than four other planetary objects have been located as within this Solar system and are sort of.. planets. Thus the Dwarf Planet term was born.. Not such a unreasonable decision when you know the facts.. Oh and I see you call him black. I just thought him American. You're welcome.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    The primary reason for Pluto demotion was the FACT that no less than four other planetary objects have been located as within this Solar system and are sort of.. planets. Thus the Dwarf Planet term was born.. Not such a unreasonable decision when you know the facts..
    I've always preferred the term "Planette".
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Other than be the director of a major planetarium, dozens of peer review research papers, a professor and leading example of exactly the type of scientist to public outreach we desperately need in America.....ow nothing at all.

    Curriculum Vitae | Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Flick Montana likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kylio27 View Post
    Okay, so he was part of a team that decided Pluto wasn't a planet... WOW!!! What an accomplishment!!!

    This guy is so popular, and everyone treats him like he's the most important man in science. But other than being a a fun, accessible, and effective communicator of science, what has he really done for science? People compare him to Carl Sagan, but is that really fair?

    It seems that he's just science's token black guy, and it makes people feel good to know and like him.
    Trash is what this is.. and I will reply. " What he has done is brought to the masses real science and astronomy.
    ( Just as Mr Sagan did. ) Making it popular just as ' The Big Bang's Sheldon.. has. He IS a effective communicator.
    I detect a note of ignorant sarcasm from your opening salvo.. " Re Pluto." The primary reason for Pluto demotion was the FACT that no less than four other planetary objects have been located as within this Solar system and are sort of.. planets. Thus the Dwarf Planet term was born.. Not such a unreasonable decision when you know the facts.. Oh and I see you call him black. I just thought him American. You're welcome.
    eh Sheldon communicator for the masses... hmmmmmmmmmmmm yep everyone wants to be Sheldon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor astromark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by astromark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kylio27 View Post
    Okay, so he was part of a team that decided Pluto wasn't a planet... WOW!!! What an accomplishment!!!

    This guy is so popular, and everyone treats him like he's the most important man in science. But other than being a a fun, accessible, and effective communicator of science, what has he really done for science? People compare him to Carl Sagan, but is that really fair?

    It seems that he's just science's token black guy, and it makes people feel good to know and like him.
    Trash is what this is.. and I will reply. " What he has done is brought to the masses real science and astronomy.
    ( Just as Mr Sagan did. ) Making it popular just as ' The Big Bang's Sheldon.. has. He IS a effective communicator.
    I detect a note of ignorant sarcasm from your opening salvo.. " Re Pluto." The primary reason for Pluto demotion was the FACT that no less than four other planetary objects have been located as within this Solar system and are sort of.. planets. Thus the Dwarf Planet term was born.. Not such a unreasonable decision when you know the facts.. Oh and I see you call him black. I just thought him American. You're welcome.
    eh Sheldon communicator for the masses... hmmmmmmmmmmmm yep everyone wants to be Sheldon
    Maybe I failed to communicate effectively that the 'HE' is Mr Degrasse-Tyson.
    Yet at some level Sheldon has lifted 'nerd' to a new high..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by kylio27 View Post
    Okay, so he was part of a team that decided Pluto wasn't a planet... WOW!!! What an accomplishment!!!

    This guy is so popular, and everyone treats him like he's the most important man in science. But other than being a a fun, accessible, and effective communicator of science, what has he really done for science? People compare him to Carl Sagan, but is that really fair?

    It seems that he's just science's token black guy, and it makes people feel good to know and like him.
    Lynx already said it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Other than be the director of a major planetarium, dozens of peer review research papers, a professor and leading example of exactly the type of scientist to public outreach we desperately need in America.....ow nothing at all.

    Curriculum Vitae | Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Let's not forget that this guy is a published research scientist (yes, he's a REAL scientist) as well as an awarded professor and science popularist.

    Pretty much trumps anything I've ever done...
    astromark likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Let's not forget that this guy is a published research scientist (yes, he's a REAL scientist) as well as an awarded professor and science popularist.

    Pretty much trumps anything I've ever done...
    Although, as far as we know, he has never received a like on The Science Forum. You've got him backed up there Flick.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    By orders of magnitude.
    John Galt and scoobydoo1 like this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Professor scoobydoo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    By orders of magnitude.
    Flick Montana and astromark like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Neil Armstrong dead
    By Geometrogenesis in forum Physics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 27th, 2013, 03:03 AM
  2. For you Neil deGrasse Tyson fans...
    By TheCustomer99 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 24th, 2013, 01:50 PM
  3. Neil Degrasse Tyson is awesome
    By SpacemanSpiff in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2012, 05:32 AM
  4. Hawking's Statement vs. "Religious Science-Guy"...
    By LunchBox in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM
  5. New guy
    By Jubei Yagyu in forum Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 15th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •