Notices
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ascended
  • 1 Post By seagypsy

Thread: Anyone for Zombies?

  1. #1 Anyone for Zombies? 
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414
    Well this seems a really interesting phenomena that I want to tell you guys about. It seems here in the UK we are going slightly monster mad, well hey ok not literally but pretty much close enough. We just can't seem to get enough of our monster experience days out, It was a while back when I first heard about the "Zombie Experience". This is a kind of entertainment where you get terrorised or in some cases, to go and hunt people dressed up as zombies, what fun!

    Well it seems that here in blighty we really are quite insatiable for our monsters, as now there seems to be many many different kinds of zombie experiences, but also now vampire and even werewolf days out as well, all specially designed for those of us who just have to go on that special monster hunting mission.

    Not sure if this is unique to the UK or if indeed this new form of entertainment is springing up in other parts of the world, but it is certainly starting to capture the imagination, publicity and a great deal of popularity over here.

    Wolfmen | RAM Training - This seems to be one of the newer ones, but also check out Zombie Shopping Mall, Zombie Bootcamp or Vampire hunting experience days, to see how this type of entertainment has evolved and is evolving to become more popular than ever.






    stander-j likes this.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    Don't see it here in the USA as yet, perhaps we just have not descended into the depths of monster mania yet. Seems the Jedi are out and about with their light sabers beheading the things!


    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    This is known as "LARP" - Live Action Role Playing. In Canada it is very uncommon, and this definitely the first I've heard of Zombie larping, though, I'm not surprised... What with Zombies having become a pop-cult staple and all.

    Edit: I have to wonder how it works, since you appear to pay for the werewolf experience. Would you just become a werewolf when you die, or what?
    Last edited by stander-j; May 17th, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    I've done obstacle course runs through zombies and seen zombie flash mobs, but haven't hunted any yet. The zombie craze isn't localized to the UK, though. World War Z is coming out on the big screen, The Walking Dead is still going strong...zombie mania is rampant.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    There has been a long standing interest in the Zombie genre of movies. There a people who love horror films and Zombie movies usually depict the eroding of contemporary western society back to tribalism. What you might be seeing in the UK are fans of the popular Walking Dead Series from AMC cable channel. Many of the lead actors are from the UK. The comic book series for which the series is based from is far more grim than the televised series.

    There are Zombiewalks in many US cities which seems similar to what you seeing in the UK.

    Zombiewalk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by stander-j View Post
    This is known as "LARP" - Live Action Role Playing. In Canada it is very uncommon, and this definitely the first I've heard of Zombie larping, though, I'm not surprised... What with Zombies having become a pop-cult staple and all.
    Cheers I hadn't about LARP before.

    Quote Originally Posted by stander-j View Post
    Edit: I have to wonder how it works, since you appear to pay for the werewolf experience. Would you just become a werewolf when you die, or what?
    Not really sure about this, need to check it out a bit more. I was initially looking for some interesting and different forms of enterainment when I came across and was so intrigued I thought I'd share with you guys
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    There has been a long standing interest in the Zombie genre of movies. There a people who love horror films and Zombie movies usually depict the eroding of contemporary western society back to tribalism. What you might be seeing in the UK are fans of the popular Walking Dead Series from AMC cable channel. Many of the lead actors are from the UK. The comic book series for which the series is based from is far more grim than the televised series.

    There are Zombiewalks in many US cities which seems similar to what you seeing in the UK.

    Zombiewalk
    Yeah I will check this out, seems the love of zombies must a global phenomina

    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I've done obstacle course runs through zombies and seen zombie flash mobs, but haven't hunted any yet. The zombie craze isn't localized to the UK, though. World War Z is coming out on the big screen, The Walking Dead is still going strong...zombie mania is rampant.
    Yeah just seen the online trailor for world war Z, looks very cool, very much looking forward to seeing it.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    In the USA we don't like fake stuff. We go all out and have REAL zombies. Though so far only a handful have made that deadly mistake.

    (referring to the guy who ate another man's face while high on bathsalts in florida and other similar stories)
    Ascended likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    (referring to the guy who ate another man's face while high on bathsalts in florida and other similar stories)
    Hey SG that seems just a little bit to realistic for my liking, I like the idea of thrill, chase and experience, a bit like paintball on steroids, but I would certainly shy away from anything with real danger, nevermind any actual real nutters wanting to eat my face!
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    (referring to the guy who ate another man's face while high on bathsalts in florida and other similar stories)
    Hey SG that seems just a little bit to realistic for my liking, I like the idea of thrill, chase and experience, a bit like paintball on steroids, but I would certainly shy away from anything with real danger, nevermind any actual real nutters wanting to eat my face!
    I'm sure the fantasy zombie/vampire/werewolf hunting "day outs" as you call them will eventually come to the USA and become a permafad just like karaoke did. It sounds fun to me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Zombies at the LHC
    By Zwirko in forum Links
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 16th, 2012, 04:00 AM
  2. Zombies
    By mormoopid in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: January 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •