Notices
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 4 Post By seagypsy
  • 1 Post By stander-j

Thread: Cure for AIDS ?

  1. #1 Cure for AIDS ? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    Hey guys ! I'm sure you have heard about AIDS and that it is not curable . But maybe , my idea might help change the fact ? As you know , the human body get not fight HIV . So how about : We inject the HIV into different species of plants , microorganisms and animals . The one which is able to fight it , obviously has a substance / advanced immunity in it . After that , we use 'biomimicry' and cure it ! Please reply .


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikhyat View Post
    So how about : We inject the HIV into different species of plants , microorganisms and animals . The one which is able to fight it , obviously has a substance / advanced immunity in it . After that , we use 'biomimicry' and cure it ! Please reply .
    That's a good idea.
    Assuming, of course, that the plant reacts to HIV the same way humans do.
    Does the fact that humans don't, for example, get tobacco mosaic virus mean we can use "reverse "biomimicry"" (and you're misusing that term) to cure tobacco plants?


    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    I see your point . But come on ,I'm a 13 year old kid , by the way .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikhyat View Post
    I see your point . But come on ,I'm a 13 year old kid , by the way .
    OK. Smart thinking for a 13 year old.

    There are some people who seem to be fairly immune to the virus and others who are almost completely immune. (There is some evidence this might be related to their ancestors surviving the Black Death in the past, but that is not certain). There is research going on to identify what is different in their genes and see if that can be used to develop better treatments. Which is sort-of what you were suggesting.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for the reply ! And I guess it's a superb idea (the Black Death one) ill try to get back .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikhyat View Post
    But come on ,I'm a 13 year old kid , by the way .
    I fail to see how that's in any way relevant.
    If you intend to use your youth, inexperience and lack of in-depth/ specialised education as a "defence" against criticism of your ideas could you explain why you think those exact same attributes qualify you to posit an opinion that we should give consideration to in the first place?

    I.e. if you think you know enough to offer an opinion you can't use "lack of knowledge" as a defence against that same opinion being subject to critique.

    If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

    BTW, welcome to the forum.
    My comment wasn't aimed at YOU, but your suggestion - the two are not the same: that's a worthwhile thing to learn here.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    Okay . Sorry .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Oh, come on, D. Chill, man. He was just putting out an idea for discussion.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    Yeah , thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Oh, come on, D. Chill, man. He was just putting out an idea for discussion.
    But that's what I addressed.
    He put an idea forward.
    I treated the idea on its own merits... Which is as it should be, no?
    "I'm only 13" as "defence" AFTER getting a reply is a little disingenuous.
    If he'd said it in the same post as he stated the idea THEN there might have been a, er, more encouraging?, less strictly factual? reply from me.


    Edit:
    You're Colonel Pickering and I'm Henry Higgins -
    HIGGINS. About you, not about me. If you come back I shall treat you just as I have always treated you. I can't change my nature; and I don't intend to change my manners. My manners are exactly the same as Colonel Pickering's.
    LIZA. That's not true. He treats a flower girl as if she was a duchess.
    HIGGINS. And I treat a duchess as if she was a flower girl.
    Last edited by Dywyddyr; April 12th, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikhyat View Post
    Hey guys ! I'm sure you have heard about AIDS and that it is not curable . But maybe , my idea might help change the fact ? As you know , the human body get not fight HIV . So how about : We inject the HIV into different species of plants , microorganisms and animals . The one which is able to fight it , obviously has a substance / advanced immunity in it . After that , we use 'biomimicry' and cure it ! Please reply .
    They have discovered that alligators' immune systems are effective against things like AIDS and MRSA.
    They have a blood filled with aggressive antibodies that protects them from the rotting food they eat.

    There are lots of links, but this is the first one that caught my attention:
    Alligator Blood Could Be New Antibiotic For Superbugs

    We can't just pump ourselves full of alligator blood, but it does show a possible direction to research.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    That's cool . Thanks !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    Oh , guess what ? It is because of people like you that others get discouraged . So I guess you should stop complaining , find a remedy . Anybody can complain . Best of luck ! And also , this is a forum for discussing ideas , not discouraging other people .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    I'm Henry Higgins
    Not something to boast about
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikhyat View Post
    Oh , guess what ? It is because of people like you that others get discouraged . So I guess you should stop complaining , find a remedy . Anybody can complain . Best of luck !
    Oh, you just blew it completely.

    And also , this is a forum for discussing ideas , not discouraging other people .
    Yes, if you noticed (and as I actually pointed out 1) I did address your idea.

    1 To be specific - My comment wasn't aimed at YOU, but your suggestion - the two are not the same & I treated the idea on its own merits... Which is as it should be, no?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    856
    As a sort of segue, I've got a question: How necessary is a cure for HIV/AIDs? Treatments that are currently available make it a pretty manageable condition - and even then, Viruses need hosts. So it begs to question, how well-suited is a virus that kills its host? I think HIV is going to become less and less lethal as time goes on, so I have to wonder about whether the time and resources could be more useful in in the treatment of other afflictions. Personally, I'd like to know once and for all where the hell Ebola is hiding.
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by stander-j View Post
    As a sort of segue, I've got a question: How necessary is a cure for HIV/AIDs? Treatments that are currently available make it a pretty manageable condition
    There are problems, like cost and side effects. But, yes, it is no longer the completely scary disease it was in the 80s.

    So it begs to question, how well-suited is a virus that kills its host? I think HIV is going to become less and less lethal as time goes on
    I think there is some evidence of that already. But by producing better treatments, we reduce the selective pressure on HIV to become less severe.

    Personally, I'd like to know once and for all where the hell Ebola is hiding.
    In the tradition of British pantomime: IT'S BEHIND YOU!
    stander-j likes this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    The problem with HIV is not the eminent threat of death to the individual infected but all the side illnesses caused by it. It is an economically devastating disease. If it was cheap to treat no one would be bothering with a cure but it isn't. And the costs of treating the illnesses caused by a lack of immune system are extremely high. Then take into consideration those who lose their ability to work because of the other illnesses brought on by like of immunity. They go on public assistance or disability and no longer contribute to the economy. AIDS is not just a medical disease. It is an economic one. And in that sense, the entire population, including you, me, and your dog suffer the effects of AIDS and AIDS related illnesses.

    So is a cure necessary? Absolutely. Because it isn't just biological death we are trying to prevent. It is economic death as well.

    I don't mean to sound cold towards those who suffer. The disease has effected my own family. So I know the personal pains it causes. But the reality is, people don't tend to care about what doesn't directly effect them. If they understand that AIDS directly effects us all, and in a place we are all very sensitive about, our pocketbooks, they tend to understand the need for a cure a little better.

    So you see how much money that the government shells out for AIDS research and you think that is all that is being spent. But you don't realize that a lot of the money that goes towards medicaid, medicare, TANF, Foodstamps, SSI, and Social Security Disability can be directly related to caring for those who have AIDS and can no longer work. Then you also have those who don't seek medical care until they are so sick they end up in emergency rooms, racking up hospital bills that never get paid. This makes medical care costs go up for everyone.

    AIDS effects everyone of us. We ALL have AIDS. We just don't realize it.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Good point. All major diseases are societal problems. I once wrote a (rather irritated) comment to a science article on reducing everyone's salt intake to lower blood pressure, saying that only a minority of people are sensitive. I got a very nice response from the scientist concerned, pointing out that it is impossible to identify that minority, the rest of the population won't be harmed, we all pay for the costs of disease and, to some extent, we all suffer from the effects of heart disease in others.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Comes with our societal living. It's why I wanna pack it up, move to Alaska and say, "Screw you, chums."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    856
    Well said, Seagypsy. That is definitely something I had not considered - and I think you've reconciled my view on the merits of a "cure". Having said that, Strange mentioned something which I think is kind of the Catch 22: Treatments, and improved treatments reduces the selective pressure on HIV to mellow-out. I'd like to make sure: When we're talking about a "cure" we're talking improved treatments and maybe even a vaccine - right? So here's a bit of a problem with HIV - treatment involves taking three Anti-Retroviral drugs at the same time. HIV, from person to person may become immune to the first run, for which there is a second run to supplement. This is followed by a final third run of Anti-Retroviral drugs. Now, by no means are the average costs of those being treated anywhere close to the costs of those that are not being treated. I read a comparison of the economic costs of the flu season and the cost of treating HIV in the states. Employers lose 10 billion dollars a year because of the flu. The costs for treating HIV are around 12 Billion a year. So we can only imagine the costs without any treatments. So, here's the thing: With treatment, we see a much smaller expense - but it is concurrent, and subject to changing values of currency. Without treatment, we see a huge expense... Until HIV isn't a really problem. What I meant by there being a Catch 22 is that we can pour money into treatment, and an attempt at a vaccine for an ever-changing virus, along with the costs of manufacturing said treatments - but that means HIV will presumably continue to adapt and continue to be a problem because the nature of the treatment denies HIV the opportunity make copies of itself. On the other hand, without treatment, we pay an enormous sum of money for a short period and HIV hopefully mellows-out - the downside being a question ethics, the enormous sums of money upfront, and the possible negative effects of the selective pressure HIV places on us (Thinking in terms of Sickle Cells and Malaria). Having written this out, and society being faced with the issue regardless of how inconvenient it is, I thinking you very well may have it spot-on. Maybe "Cure route" is the best way to go.
    Ascended likes this.
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by stander-j View Post
    Well said, Seagypsy. That is definitely something I had not considered - and I think you've reconciled my view on the merits of a "cure". Having said that, Strange mentioned something which I think is kind of the Catch 22: Treatments, and improved treatments reduces the selective pressure on HIV to mellow-out. I'd like to make sure: When we're talking about a "cure" we're talking improved treatments and maybe even a vaccine - right? So here's a bit of a problem with HIV - treatment involves taking three Anti-Retroviral drugs at the same time. HIV, from person to person may become immune to the first run, for which there is a second run to supplement. This is followed by a final third run of Anti-Retroviral drugs. Now, by no means are the average costs of those being treated anywhere close to the costs of those that are not being treated. I read a comparison of the economic costs of the flu season and the cost of treating HIV in the states. Employers lose 10 billion dollars a year because of the flu. The costs for treating HIV are around 12 Billion a year. So we can only imagine the costs without any treatments. So, here's the thing: With treatment, we see a much smaller expense - but it is concurrent, and subject to changing values of currency. Without treatment, we see a huge expense... Until HIV isn't a really problem. What I meant by there being a Catch 22 is that we can pour money into treatment, and an attempt at a vaccine for an ever-changing virus, along with the costs of manufacturing said treatments - but that means HIV will presumably continue to adapt and continue to be a problem because the nature of the treatment denies HIV the opportunity make copies of itself. On the other hand, without treatment, we pay an enormous sum of money for a short period and HIV hopefully mellows-out - the downside being a question ethics, the enormous sums of money upfront, and the possible negative effects of the selective pressure HIV places on us (Thinking in terms of Sickle Cells and Malaria). Having written this out, and society being faced with the issue regardless of how inconvenient it is, I thinking you very well may have it spot-on. Maybe "Cure route" is the best way to go.
    The only cheaper/"easier" option, which is obviously horrifying at the very least , is euthanasia upon infection. And while history may (i say "may" because I don't really know if it has ever been done) show that this has happened before with other diseases and was successful, I don't think it would be a viable option today. Even in sci-fi movies it doesn't go over very well. But it is certainly something we do to our livestock if we find one of a herd has an infectious disease they kill the entire herd not just the one. I've never understood why they cant quarantine and test each animal. I guess it is cheaper to replace livestock than it is to spare the healthy ones by way of quarantine and testing.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Does HIV cause AIDS?
    By Samuel P in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: November 10th, 2011, 10:05 PM
  2. way to slow aids
    By medlakeguy in forum Biology
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: May 26th, 2008, 09:02 PM
  3. Cure for AIDS/HIV virus
    By Sci-Realism in forum Biology
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 17th, 2008, 04:09 PM
  4. AIDS
    By munja100 in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: December 3rd, 2006, 09:46 AM
  5. AIDS/HIV?
    By btimsah in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: April 23rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •