Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Polarity Shift by Solar Flares caused changes in the world?

  1. #1 Polarity Shift by Solar Flares caused changes in the world? 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    128
    OK, so one night i was sitting at the dinner table and the discussion was about the polarity shift between 3 magnets. My original goal was to make the middle magnet float in mid air whilst being held by 2 outer magnets which repeled against the middle one. What happened was that the middle magnet had changed polarity so South become North and vice versa during my experiment. This caused the middle magnet to get attracted to one of the outer magnets and from there i envisioned what might had happened during the last Ice Age. So here goes. we all know that our planet orbits around the sun, right? but i found out that if that was true than our planet's mass was not strong enough to pull away from the sun's gravitational pull (which causes us to orbit around it). I know it doesn't make sense to some of you but hear me out. Now if the sun gave an X solar flare or even a solar storm towards Earth it would affect the north and south poles since it is magnetic. Hence what i found out during my experiment, i think our north pole might have changed polarity and vice versa with the south pole when it got affected by the solar flares or solar storms in the past, without tilting the planet upside down, causing alot of changes in the world to happen (animals being stranded, winds will change directions, above normal Freezing temperatures, etc). This only means one thing, if the sun is really meant to awaken again, then we are going in for a rough ride.

    Further more, i don't think the planet has the ability to tilt upside down. I say this because the entire planet is pulled by the sun meaning the planet can spin around but can't go upside down due to the strong gravitational pull by the sun. Hence, our own planet's gravitational pull causes us to be positioned from the sun by some distance. Our position from the sun due to our planet's gravitational pull and the sun's own gravitational pull are 2 different things. But enough of that for now. I think those animals that died in their thousands had relied on north and south poles whilst in the ocean and in the air, but when the polarity shift occurred that's when they started to go haywire. What do you guys think of what i just said?

    One last thing: there was an incident not long ago that had tons and tons of fish die and the media said it was due to chemical spillage, but i don't believe it since the fish were out in the ocean and had washed ashore.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Research View Post
    OK, so one night i was sitting at the dinner table and the discussion was about the polarity shift between 3 magnets. My original goal was to make the middle magnet float in mid air whilst being held by 2 outer magnets which repeled against the middle one.
    This is impossible. Such a system is inherently unstable.

    What happened was that the middle magnet had changed polarity so South become North and vice versa during my experiment.
    Rather than change polarity, I assume you mean the magnet flipped over. This is exactly as expected.

    we all know that our planet orbits around the sun, right? but i found out that if that was true than our planet's mass was not strong enough to pull away from the sun's gravitational pull (which causes us to orbit around it).
    Why would you expect mass to "pull away from the Sun"? Mass is attracted by gravity.

    Now if the sun gave an X solar flare or even a solar storm towards Earth it would affect the north and south poles since it is magnetic. Hence what i found out during my experiment, i think our north pole might have changed polarity and vice versa with the south pole when it got affected by the solar flares or solar storms in the past
    Have you noticed the earth's magnetic field making your magnets move? No, because it is too weak.

    Will solar flares have any effect on the Earth's magnetic field? No. For the same reason.

    causing alot of changes in the world to happen (animals being stranded, winds will change directions, above normal Freezing temperatures, etc).
    Why do you think that the poles changing (which we know happens failry regularly) would have all the effects?

    This only means one thing, if the sun is really meant to awaken again, then we are going in for a rough ride.
    What does it mean for the sun to "awaken"?

    Further more, i don't think the planet has the ability to tilt upside down.
    That is certainly true (but not for the meaningless reasons you give).

    One last thing: there was an incident not long ago that had tons and tons of fish die and the media said it was due to chemical spillage, but i don't believe it since the fish were out in the ocean and had washed ashore.
    What on earth does that have to do anything. (I can't say any more than that as you give absolutely no indication what you are talking about.)


    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    128
    [QUOTE=Strange;409497]
    What happened was that the middle magnet had changed polarity so South become North and vice versa during my experiment.
    Rather than change polarity, I assume you mean the magnet flipped over. This is exactly as expected.
    No, not flip over. The magnet itself was in the same position as it was for repelling. The actual North and South had 'switched' without even moving the magnet. That is the thing i didn't understand, is why it changed without flipping the magnet over.

    Why would you expect mass to "pull away from the Sun"? Mass is attracted by gravity.
    I am not expecting mass to pull away from the sun. If our planet's mass were to do that it would change our orbital position with the sun in both distance (Earth's magnetic repel) and also change how much gravitational pull (Sun's magnetic pull) will give.

    Have you noticed the earth's magnetic field making your magnets move? No, because it is too weak.

    Will solar flares have any effect on the Earth's magnetic field? No. For the same reason.
    My magnet's are not enough for the earth's magnetic field to attract in both mass and density. Even my magnet's shape contributes to which side has the strongest magnetic attraction and repel. In saying this, i agree with your statement of the earths' magnetic field not being able to attract it. However, Solar flares are quite different. They are a burst of electromagnetic particles which hurtle towards the direction it gets projected to by the sun. It can differ by size and speed whilst also frying anything in its path. Solar flares have affected the earth's magnetic field for a very long time, possibly for heaps of millenniums. It is not so much of a worry for us if the solar flare were to hit the northern hemisphere as it would be just like a storm, but if the solar flare were to hit the southern hemisphere it would be a monster. Something very severe indeed.

    Why do you think that the poles changing (which we know happens failry regularly) would have all the effects?
    Well given that some animals rely on the north and south poles for direction such as marine animals (e.i. dolphins, whales) and birds, when the north and south poles get hit by a huge surge of instant electro magnetic particles, it changes from north to south and vice versa. These particles don't have to hit north and south poles at the same time, nor does it have to hit the north or south poles for it to happen. It just has to hit one. And if it hits the south pole, then the south becomes north. Thus in doing so, these after effects such as animals changing directions of where they are migrating to, can lead them to severe harm or even death.


    What does it mean for the sun to "awaken"?
    well according to some myths/ legends, the sun 'awakens' for every cycle or period of time. this is like after a very long time (something like tens of thousands of years or something of that sort). I believe that if this is true, then what is meant by the sun awakening would mean a very huge and bright solar blast, something similar to hell. And then after a while the sun starts to cool down again back to its normal state.

    That is certainly true (but not for the meaningless reasons you give).
    And what's that suppose to mean? I said it's not possible for the earth to tilt upside down, even when i explained about the change of north and south in a magnet without moving it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Research View Post
    No, not flip over. The magnet itself was in the same position as it was for repelling. The actual North and South had 'switched' without even moving the magnet.
    Er, unlikely.

    If our planet's mass were to do that it would change our orbital position with the sun in both distance (Earth's magnetic repel) and also change how much gravitational pull (Sun's magnetic pull) will give.
    Earth's magnetic repel? WTF?
    The Sun's gravitational pull is NOT a magnetic pull. The clue is in the two different terms.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Research View Post
    No, not flip over. The magnet itself was in the same position as it was for repelling. The actual North and South had 'switched' without even moving the magnet. That is the thing i didn't understand, is why it changed without flipping the magnet over.
    Highly unlikely.

    I am not expecting mass to pull away from the sun.
    Then why did you say: "our planet's mass was not strong enough to pull away from the sun's gravitational pull"?

    If our planet's mass were to do that it would change our orbital position with the sun in both distance (Earth's magnetic repel) and also change how much gravitational pull (Sun's magnetic pull) will give.
    What has magnetism got to do with it?

    Solar flares have affected the earth's magnetic field for a very long time, possibly for heaps of millenniums.
    Evidence?

    Of course, solar flares can interact with the magnetic field around the Earth and cause it to change its shape slightly. They definitely cannot cause any change to the generation of the magnetic field in the earth.

    It is not so much of a worry for us if the solar flare were to hit the northern hemisphere as it would be just like a storm, but if the solar flare were to hit the southern hemisphere it would be a monster. Something very severe indeed.
    Why would it be so much worse in the south?

    Well given that some animals rely on the north and south poles for direction such as marine animals (e.i. dolphins, whales) and birds, when the north and south poles get hit by a huge surge of instant electro magnetic particles, it changes from north to south and vice versa.
    It is pretty clear from the geological record that it happens very slowly so animals probably have time to adjust. As far as I know, there is no evidence of mass extinctions associated with previous reversals of the magnetic field.

    These particles don't have to hit north and south poles at the same time, nor does it have to hit the north or south poles for it to happen. It just has to hit one. And if it hits the south pole, then the south becomes north.
    I don't think I can say anything much more constructive than: bollocks.

    well according to some myths/ legends ...
    Oh, silly me. I thought this was a science forum

    And what's that suppose to mean? I said it's not possible for the earth to tilt upside down
    Correct. But nothing to do with your confused ramblings about gravity. It is a simple matter of conservation of momentum. The vast amount of energy required to "flip" the Earth over would, at the very least, liquefy the entire planet. And it certainly isn't going to come from a solar flare.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Why would it be so much worse in the south?

    It is pretty clear from the geological record that it happens very slowly so animals probably have time to adjust. As far as I know, there is no evidence of mass extinctions associated with previous reversals of the magnetic field.
    Here's some evidence for you:

    Mass Animal Deaths & Earthquakes Explained by Planetary Magnetics

    Dead penguins join fish on Adelaide beaches, South Australia | Mass Animal Death

    I'm telling you, it is quite possible that the poles on earth can not only move places but also change polarity shift (North becomes south and vice-versa). Thus creating a chain of after effects (may it be a change of weather patterns or some other anomaly).

    I don't think I can say anything much more constructive than: bollocks.

    Correct. But nothing to do with your confused ramblings about gravity. It is a simple matter of conservation of momentum. The vast amount of energy required to "flip" the Earth over would, at the very least, liquefy the entire planet. And it certainly isn't going to come from a solar flare.
    Here's some evidence:

    If the Massive Solar Flare of 1859 (the "Carrington Flare") Happened Today...

    The sun's solar flares keep on getting stronger - with latest hot spot the size of 15 Earths strung together | Mail Online


    As for the southern hemisphere becoming a Monster storm after being hit by a solar flare, here's some evidence:

    Magnetic earth, and solar, polar shifts and reversals for 2012 | Heaven Awaits
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Research View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Why would it be so much worse in the south?

    It is pretty clear from the geological record that it happens very slowly so animals probably have time to adjust. As far as I know, there is no evidence of mass extinctions associated with previous reversals of the magnetic field.
    Here's some evidence for you:

    Mass Animal Deaths & Earthquakes Explained by Planetary Magnetics

    Dead penguins join fish on Adelaide beaches, South Australia | Mass Animal Death
    That is not evidence, just a random collection of facts. What is there to suggest that there is any connection with solar flares or pole shifts?

    I'm telling you, it is quite possible that the poles on earth can not only move places but also change polarity shift (North becomes south and vice-versa).
    Yes, we know that. It has happened fairly regularly in the past.

    Thus creating a chain of after effects (may it be a change of weather patterns or some other anomaly).
    I'm sure there will be effects. You have yet to provide any evidence that it will be disastrous or that it has any connection to solar flares.
    Evidence of large solar flares. Yes, we know about those. Nothing to do with "flipping the poles" though.

    The Daily Mail? You couldn't even find a newspaper? I'm not even going to bother reading it.

    As for the southern hemisphere becoming a Monster storm after being hit by a solar flare, here's some evidence:

    Magnetic earth, and solar, polar shifts and reversals for 2012 | Heaven Awaits
    That is not evidence. That is the ignorant ravings of a religious nut.

    So, no scientific evidence then.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,602
    This is kind of relevant: The Sun Doesn’t Cause Earthquakes
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Totnes in Devon, Mumbai and StAlban-Auriolles in Southern France
    Posts
    120
    Hilarious! Where do these nutters come from?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeaunse23 View Post
    Hilarious! Where do these nutters come from?
    From outer space .... lmao

    do you believe that if the sun were to shoot out a huge electro magnetic storm (class X) that covers the entire northern hemisphere, that it would disrupt every electronic device on earth making us incapable of communicating with each other in other parts far from hearing distance? No tv's, no iphones or ipads, no cars, no internet, etc..

    And not only that, the weather gets affected too as well as the Teutonic plates which are made of magnets start to resonate since electricity and magnets share a relationship depending on the strength of the solar EM storm and how long it stays for.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    teutonic plates

    that's really hilarious dadio
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Totnes in Devon, Mumbai and StAlban-Auriolles in Southern France
    Posts
    120
    Superb, no really, great entertainment...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Research View Post
    the Teutonic plates
    You mean like brezeln with mustard? Mmm...
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. World visibility of the solar annular eclipse 15 January 201
    By ricci70 in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 15th, 2010, 05:51 AM
  2. hey... our world caused by lnsanlty?
    By twoamspell in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: May 6th, 2009, 12:47 PM
  3. Flares
    By David Nosut in forum Earth Sciences
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 18th, 2008, 10:30 AM
  4. Solar Flares
    By Mike NS in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: July 25th, 2007, 11:28 AM
  5. solar flares
    By AlexP in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 29th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •