Notices
Results 1 to 27 of 27
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shlunka
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 1 Post By Jim Colyer
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana

Thread: What happens when you die?

  1. #1 What happens when you die? 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1
    So I'm just sitting at my computer watching some footage of me cliff diving with my friends, trying to see what everyone was freaking out about. Apparently my friend jumping in beside me with a go pro came within inches of landing on top of my head which ( from 79 feet high ) would have surely broken my neck and killed me instantly... Then the multiverse theory popped into my head and I wondered; what if when we come close to dying in one universe we actually die in a different universe and everyone witnesses it, but you don't actually experience your death first hand. Instead you just immediately become aware in a completely different universe where you didn't die and it was just a close call? Now, I'm not sure if this is a unique theory so correct me if I'm plagiarizing and I'll take down the post but on the off-chance that this is totally original I'd like to hear any thoughts or opinions.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    It is not an entirely novel idea: Quantum suicide and immortality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    (But kudos for thinking of it yourself.)


    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    Just because there might be a multi universe out there does not mean we exist in all of them simultaneously. That would mean you would only experience the things that you do where you are at the time they happen to you. Perhaps you might pass away and into another of those universes to live another life there but that too would be only happening there and then.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    Just because there might be a multi universe out there does not mean we exist in all of them simultaneously. That would mean you would only experience the things that you do where you are at the time they happen to you. Perhaps you might pass away and into another of those universes to live another life there but that too would be only happening there and then.
    I guess this question would lead to another question of consciousness. To be dead means one type of consciousness ceases, but you could not enter another consciousness until the death process is complete. My personal view on the question of appearing on different universes simultaneously after death is based on logics. Everything is connected and acts/reacts within the flow of time. Energy is only transferable. This enables energy to flow into another type of energy where it will reside on another plane of existence.

    My approach is only one view, I know there must be a lot of difference ones.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    To be dead means one type of consciousness ceases, but you could not enter another consciousness until the death process is complete.

    What?

    My personal view on the question of appearing on different universes simultaneously after death is based on logics.
    Or, more accurately, a failure to apply logic.

    Everything is connected
    Is it?

    This enables energy to flow into another type of energy where it will reside on another plane of existence.
    What other "plane of existence"?
    The one we have zero evidence for? And isn't therefore "connected"?


    My approach is only one view, I know there must be a lot of difference ones.
    Very probably. Some of them may even be based on reality, logic and observables.


    For example: "but you could not enter another consciousness until the death process is complete".
    When has this EVER been observed?
    Surely, if there are multiple universes, with multiple "yous" in them some of those "yous" have already died.
    Therefore they are living, now, in you.
    To the best of our knowledge this doesn't happen.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    To be dead means one type of consciousness ceases, but you could not enter another consciousness until the death process is complete.

    What?

    My personal view on the question of appearing on different universes simultaneously after death is based on logics.
    Or, more accurately, a failure to apply logic.

    Everything is connected
    Is it?

    This enables energy to flow into another type of energy where it will reside on another plane of existence.
    What other "plane of existence"?
    The one we have zero evidence for? And isn't therefore "connected"?


    My approach is only one view, I know there must be a lot of difference ones.

    Very probably. Some of them may even be based on reality, logic and observables.


    For example: "but you could not enter another consciousness until the death process is complete".
    When has this EVER been observed?
    Surely, if there are multiple universes, with multiple "yous" in them some of those "yous" have already died.
    Therefore they are living, now, in you.
    To the best of our knowledge this doesn't happen.
    I understood the original question #1, to be hypothetical, since he did not experience death at the thought level. I am not sure I understand what you mean with “to the best of our knowledge." can you explain?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,786
    Most people tend to stop breathing when they die, hope that answered the OP.
    Dywyddyr likes this.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    I understood the original question #1, to be hypothetical, since he did not experience death at the thought level.

    Er, if you don't die you don't die.
    From post #1
    but you don't actually experience your death first hand. Instead you just immediately become aware in a completely different universe where you didn't die and it was just a close call?

    Become aware?
    Unless a completely new universe is created at the point of death then you must be jumping into an existing one.
    This raises the question of what happens when people "die" of old age.
    New universes that pick up from the point of death onwards?
    An infinite number of increasingly ageing bodies?
    Wow!
    How hypothetical can you get.

    I am not sure I understand what you mean with “to the best of our knowledge." can you explain?
    How can I rephrase that?
    So far as we know.
    We have no knowledge (or evidence, or even slight clues) that it happens.
    THERE IS NOTHING TO INDICATE THAT THE OFFERED "SOLUTION" IS CORRECT.
    It goes against what knowledge we do have.

    Do you have ANYTHING to indicate that we experience other "versions of us" jumping into our minds?

    Plus, of course, IF those other universes exist AND they are "contactable" why haven't we found any evidence of them?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19
    Without the aid of any futuristic technology that may get us closer to achieving immortality, unless you can trace down the specific particles that make up the transitioning 'soul,' death likely comes to a cold stop when the brain is completely shutdown. I've already spent billions of years being dead, the intermission of consciousness and the passing of genes and rememberance is the strange yet exciting period between the two death eras. Embrace this life wisely.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    I understood the original question #1, to be hypothetical, since he did not experience death at the thought level.

    Er, if you don't die you don't die.
    From post #1
    but you don't actually experience your death first hand. Instead you just immediately become aware in a completely different universe where you didn't die and it was just a close call?

    Become aware?
    Unless a completely new universe is created at the point of death then you must be jumping into an existing one.
    This raises the question of what happens when people "die" of old age.
    New universes that pick up from the point of death onwards?
    An infinite number of increasingly ageing bodies?
    Wow!
    How hypothetical can you get.

    I am not sure I understand what you mean with “to the best of our knowledge." can you explain?

    How can I rephrase that?
    So far as we know.
    We have no knowledge (or evidence, or even slight clues) that it happens.
    THERE IS NOTHING TO INDICATE THAT THE OFFERED "SOLUTION" IS CORRECT.
    It goes against what knowledge we do have.

    Do you have ANYTHING to indicate that we experience other "versions of us" jumping into our minds?

    Plus, of course, IF those other universes exist AND they are "contactable" why haven't we found any evidence of them?
    Maybe the reason we cannot find the universes is that we are looking in the wrong places.

    I have read and heard that there are all kinds of death, brain dead, muscle dead, it seems everything does not stop in certain types of death. What do you say?


    Do you agree that everything is connected, tangible as intangible?

    I still am not quite sure I know what you mean when you state, "the knowledge we have". What is the knowledge you have? I am interested in that
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Without the aid of any futuristic technology that may get us closer to achieving immortality, unless you can trace down the specific particles that make up the transitioning 'soul,' death likely comes to a cold stop when the brain is completely shutdown. I've already spent billions of years being dead, the intermission of consciousness and the passing of genes and rememberance is the strange yet exciting period between the two death eras. Embrace this life wisely.
    Could this be because we humans have not studied energy transformation enough? or even consciousness on different levels of existence
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    Maybe the reason we cannot find the universes is that we are looking in the wrong places.

    Oh right, hang on a minute.
    Silly me! There it is, it had fallen off the table and rolled under that chest of drawers.
    Where do you think we should look to find another universe?

    I have read and heard that there are all kinds of death, brain dead, muscle dead, it seems everything does not stop in certain types of death. What do you say?
    How does this relate?

    Do you agree that everything is connected, tangible as intangible?
    Oh, let me check.
    You:
    Everything is connected
    Me: Is it?
    That looks like a "no" to me.
    Post #5.
    For me to "agree" you'd have to define what you mean by "connected" and HOW everything falls into this category.

    I still am not quite sure I know what you mean when you state, "the knowledge we have". What is the knowledge you have? I am interested in that

    Which part of:
    We have no knowledge (or evidence, or even slight clues) that it happens.
    THERE IS NOTHING TO INDICATE THAT THE OFFERED "SOLUTION" IS CORRECT.
    It goes against what knowledge we do have.
    did you not understand?
    We have NO KNOWLEDGE that your speculations have any foundation whatsoever.
    The knowledge does not exist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    Could this be because we humans have not studied energy transformation enough?

    What?
    What do you mean by "transformation of energy"? Chemical to thermal? Thermal to kinetic? And why would it matter?

    or even consciousness on different levels of existence

    For us to study consciousness on "different levels of existence" it is first necessary to show that "different levels of existence" do, in fact, exist.
    THEN we would have show that consciousness is able to move on/ up/ across to these "different levels of existence".
    Until we know that "different levels of existence" actually exist we cannot study anything about them.

    In other words, pointless speculation doesn't help. At all.
    Last edited by Dywyddyr; April 7th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,222
    And for those who think that 'death' is always a single moment, there's this man to rock your world. This certainly knocks any idea about instantaneous transformation or transfer into another state completely off its perch.

    Sam Parnia
    Neverfly likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    And for those who think that 'death' is always a single moment, there's this man to rock your world. This certainly knocks any idea about instantaneous transformation or transfer into another state completely off its perch.

    Sam Parnia
    I think there are two types of doors, when you open one the other closes, the one that is open leads to another door, and the cycle starts its journey. There will always be someone, something, to change your world. Change in its minute transition might appear to us as instantaneous if we could see it.

    The article is interesting, I am sure the doctor is peering into some existing level where life is leaving the physical plane, he must have found a way to intervene. Most people cannot enter those planes with contaminated minds.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    I think there are two types of doors, when you open one the other closes, the one that is open leads to another door, and the cycle starts its journey.

    Why do you hold this assumption?

    Change in its minute transition might appear to us as instantaneous if we could see it.
    What?

    I am sure the doctor is peering into some existing level where life is leaving the physical plane
    What?

    Most people cannot enter those planes with contaminated minds.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    317
    I think that when we die, we are dead forever with no consciousness of any kind.
    Neverfly likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    I think there are two types of doors, when you open one the other closes
    To quote Sheldon: ​"Not unless the two doors are connected by relays or there are motion sensors involved. Or if the first door closing creates a change of air pressure that acts upon the second door."
    Dywyddyr likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,034
    "What happens when you die?"

    Your relatives get to pick through all your stuff.
    And probably end up throwing away your most prized possessions because they have no idea why you had them.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
    I think that when we die, we are dead forever with no consciousness of any kind.
    That's where ALL the credible evidence leads.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    I think there are two types of doors, when you open one the other closes, the one that is open leads to another door, and the cycle starts its journey.

    Why do you hold this assumption?

    Change in its minute transition might appear to us as instantaneous if we could see it.
    What?

    I am sure the doctor is peering into some existing level where life is leaving the physical plane
    What?

    Most people cannot enter those planes with contaminated minds.

    Why do you hold this assumption?
    Whenever you peruse something, you move away from something, "one door closes and another one opens."


    Answer to second and third quote: Adelady mentioned something about death not been as instantaneous as many think, she posted a link to an article on that topic. I was trying to say what we call instantaneous can only be understood on a micro level of change. I am sure you did not read the article, I pick that up from your questions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
    I think that when we die, we are dead forever with no consciousness of any kind.
    That's where ALL the credible evidence leads.
    How would you gather such experience to produce evidence?

    There are certain things we cannot see until we reach a certain consciousness, or insight, which would explain the reason you are saying that at death there is no consciousness.
    Would you believe someone who says he is back from the dead?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    "What happens when you die?"

    Your relatives get to pick through all your stuff.
    And probably end up throwing away your most prized possessions because they have no idea why you had them.
    If you were only conscious to stop them. I guess at that you are no longer matter.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    Whenever you peruse something, you move away from something, "one door closes and another one opens."

    Could you please address the queries I raised?
    Spouting popular aphorisms doesn't answer anything.

    Answer to second and third quote: Adelady mentioned something about death not been as instantaneous as many think
    Which has NOTHING to do with a doctor "
    peering into some existing level where life is leaving the physical plane "

    I am sure you did not read the article, I pick that up from your questions.

    Then you haven't properly read my questions.
    Lose your assumptions and address the queries as posed.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    I think there are two types of doors, when you open one the other closes
    To quote Sheldon: ​"Not unless the two doors are connected by relays or there are motion sensors involved. Or if the first door closing creates a change of air pressure that acts upon the second door."
    I was not going quite that far, but yes, I also know that everything is connected, from another point of view, as is said, the energy must be coming from somewhere.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    I also know that everything is connected
    How is "everything connected"?
    I raised this question in post #5, and again in post #14.
    You have still not responded.

    the energy must be coming from somewhere.
    What "energy"?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    425
    [QUOTE=Dywyddyr;411281]
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    I also know that everything is connected
    How is "everything connected"?
    I raised this question in post #5, and again in post #14.
    You have still not responded.

    the energy must be coming from somewhere.
    Everything is connected in terms of something touching something, touching something.

    What "energy
    It is said that if everthing is connected the energy that is causing the connections must be coming from somewhere, have you not heard this saying?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Genius Duck Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    12,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    Everything is connected in terms of something touching something, touching something.
    Which means that the "connection" is between any two objects.

    It is said that if everthing is connected the energy that is causing the connections must be coming from somewhere, have you not heard this saying?
    No.
    And it's hardly worth you repeating becaue
    A) "it is said" is NOT evidence. "It is said" means "it is commonly reported; it is rumored; people assert or maintain".
    B) that saying contains the wording "if everthing is connected" - in other words it's predicated on an unproven assumption.
    C) I asked "what energy" - even IF your reply were a viable statement it's still NOT an answer to the question that was asked.
    WHAT energy must be coming from somewhere? What sort of energy are you talking about? Where is this energy (that is coming from somewhere) manifest WHEN it arrives?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: September 27th, 2012, 05:11 AM
  2. What would be the most painful way to die?
    By gottspieler in forum Biology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: June 5th, 2011, 05:56 PM
  3. Can you die of pain?
    By Obviously in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: April 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM
  4. When will you die?
    By cosmictraveler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: July 15th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •