Notices
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mat5592
  • 2 Post By MushroomMycologist

Thread: Mycology: Help Identifying a species

  1. #1 Mycology: Help Identifying a species 
    Fungi isn't a plant MushroomMycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    I have a mushroom, and I need help identifying it. It is small, grows on dead, rotting wood, and is yellow-brownish. It stems curving outward to point upwards. Thank you~ MushroomMycologist
    0327132000a.jpg


    Last edited by MushroomMycologist; March 27th, 2013 at 08:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    I guess it would help if you said what country it is found in and what kind of habitat you found it in (e.g. woodlands, hedgerow, etc.)
    (And maybe get a better picture).
    Currently what you describe probably could describe a large percentage of mushrooms.


    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Fungi isn't a plant MushroomMycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    I'm sorry about that. It's has been found in North America, in Florida. It was found in a wet, hot habitat (A lot of sand, too) I may have to get a better photo tomorrow, due to it being night.
    Last edited by MushroomMycologist; March 27th, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Masters Degree mat5592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    601
    is this a game and you already know the answer? you're the mycologist here
    MushroomMycologist likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Fungi isn't a plant MushroomMycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    But even mycologist's need help sometimes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Fungi isn't a plant MushroomMycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    I guess it would help if you said what country it is found in and what kind of habitat you found it in (e.g. woodlands, hedgerow, etc.)
    (And maybe get a better picture).
    Currently what you describe probably could describe a large percentage of mushrooms.
    Just to see if this tells you, still new.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    ▼▼ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ▼▼ RedPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by MushroomMycologist View Post
    Just to see if this tells you, still new.
    I think that without a close-up and in-focus photo, identification will be impossible.
    SayBigWords.com/say/3FC

    "And, behold, I come quickly;" Revelation 22:12

    "Religions are like sausages. When you know how they are made, you no longer want them."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Fungi isn't a plant MushroomMycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    0328131602.jpg0328131602a.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MushroomMycologist View Post
    Just to see if this tells you, still new.
    I think that without a close-up and in-focus photo, identification will be impossible.
    Hope this helps at least a little bit.

    0328131548.jpg0328131550.jpg
    Last edited by MushroomMycologist; March 28th, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Masters Degree mat5592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    601
    sorry, i'm afraid the whole one credit hour i've taken in mycology has failed me haha. looks like the same ones in your avatar to me!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mat5592 View Post
    sorry, i'm afraid the whole one credit hour i've taken in mycology has failed me haha. looks like the same ones in your avatar to me!
    Lol, the ones in my avatar are called honey mushrooms. This mushroom I have may be a honey, but I'm not even 30% sure on that, for I'm for sure I'd be able to tell.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Fungi isn't a plant MushroomMycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by basspondfisher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mat5592 View Post
    sorry, i'm afraid the whole one credit hour i've taken in mycology has failed me haha. looks like the same ones in your avatar to me!
    Lol, the ones in my avatar are called honey mushrooms. This mushroom I have may be a honey, but I'm not even 30% sure on that, for I'm for sure I'd be able to tell.
    Basspond is also my account.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Fungi isn't a plant MushroomMycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MushroomMycologist View Post
    Just to see if this tells you, still new.
    I think that without a close-up and in-focus photo, identification will be impossible.
    I think I have finally found it. It's called Galerina marginata, a extremely poisonous species of the group, "Little Brown Mushrooms".
    Personally, I'm very proud of my self for finding this. Here's a photo for anyone who wants to debate about anything.


    LittleBrownMushrooms.jpg
    RedPanda and TheNewEinstein like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. identifying an insect
    By backs999 in forum Biology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 29th, 2013, 11:13 AM
  2. Need help identifying this please!
    By The Complete Amatuer in forum Environmental Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 14th, 2013, 01:05 AM
  3. Need help identifying rocks...
    By BunniCerv in forum Earth Sciences
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 25th, 2012, 08:40 PM
  4. Mycology:Codex 38
    By shauki89 in forum Biology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 27th, 2010, 10:42 AM
  5. need help identifying a molecule......
    By mindb0mb in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 19th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •