Notices
Results 1 to 41 of 41
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Neverfly
  • 1 Post By Rita
  • 1 Post By Flick Montana
  • 1 Post By seagypsy
  • 1 Post By shlunka
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr

Thread: your role models

  1. #1 your role models 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    100
    Who are your favorite role models and why have you choosen these people? Mine are:

    Eleanor Roosevelt, and I espcially like her quote, "We teach other's how to treat us."

    Right next to Eleanor is Audrey Hempburn. Maybe she is arogant, but I love her dignity and see her right up with Eleanor''s quote, about teaching others how to treat us.

    The next one who comes to mind is Patrick Henery and his "give me liberty or give me death" speech. I think his position on liberty and freedom of speech is essential to determining truth and having a functioning democracy. I also think the hope of having liberty and a functional democracy is worth living and dying for. In Internet terms, this means having understanding before being banned.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    My parents were my best role models then my aunts and uncles with grandparents hanging in their as well.


    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    100
    How nice to have family that can be your role models.

    I think it would be wonderful for young people to know Newton was very anti social and didn't poorly in school. He did great in science because that was his refuge, his escape from social and personal pain. This is pretty true for Einstein as well. Original thinkers are not the kind of people who blend in the crowd, and they are not afraid to think differently from others.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    My mother would be mine. She's been through a lot and remained a rock through everything. If I could be half the person she is, I'd be a great man.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    How nice to have family that can be your role models.

    I think it would be wonderful for young people to know Newton was very anti social and didn't poorly in school. He did great in science because that was his refuge, his escape from social and personal pain. This is pretty true for Einstein as well. Original thinkers are not the kind of people who blend in the crowd, and they are not afraid to think differently from others.
    I have very few living role models. Many were loners, it turns out.
    But not all. And while conformity, to a degree, can be required to make it in some functions, as the social niceties require it, there's no requirement to be either a conformist or a non-conformist.

    Only the facts count.

    One deceased role model is Johannes Kepler. Not because of the things he accomplished; Not even because the things he accomplished were unpopular... But because the data was unpopular with Kepler, himself. It contradicted his beliefs.
    His strong beliefs.
    But Kepler agonizingly accepted the data and rejected his beliefs. He adjusted his model to reflect the data and not what he wanted it to reflect.

    To me, an original thinker is not just someone that thinks in spite of popular views, but one who accepts data, rejects irrational desire and is willing to be wrong, sometimes.

    Even Einstein said, on the topic of his injection of his belief into the data; "It was my greatest blunder."
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    If I could be half the person she is, I'd be a great man.
    So... a great man is half woman?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    So... a great man is half woman?
    And every man is a failed women, right?

    I should also say my dad is a great role model to me. He went back to school when I was born and started a new career so he could give me and my mom a better life. I'm following in his footstep, I suppose.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    My mother would be mine. She's been through a lot and remained a rock through everything. If I could be half the person she is, I'd be a great man.
    I very much appreciate your opinion. We rarely find such women in history, but where would humanity be without them?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    And every man is a failed women, right?
    Sexist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I should also say my dad is a great role model to me. He went back to school when I was born and started a new career so he could give me and my mom a better life. I'm following in his footstep, I suppose.
    I admit... I have no idea what it's like to respect your parents. I loved my parents because I was obligated to, but I could not stand them. I barely knew them, really...
    In that, I try to be a role model and a parent for my son.

    Couple years ago now... My son was seven years old. There was a mild emergency at the house and to ensure his welfare, I grabbed my boy and took him near a far wall and said, "Stand here and don't move until I tell you."
    I then turned my concentration to resolving the emergency. I did manage to get things sorted out but in my distraction, I did a real bastard thing and either forgot that I told my son to stand against the wall or assumed he would realize when things were normal again and move on his own.
    Two hours later, someone asked him why he was standing there. He said, "My dad told me to."
    Two hours. You know he had to have had achy legs and some boredom. He has no idea just how proud he made me that day. I knew in that moment I had his trust and respect and that I could trust him to listen, should I ever need to (God Forbid) order him to run, get on the ground or some other quick command that must be unquestioningly heeded in order to save his life.
    This does not mean he listens to everything I ever say or agrees with everything. But he knew enough to know when to listen.

    I'm beaming like a kid myself, just thinking about it.

    Deep down, I know the truth. That I am no role model. But even so, I enjoy that bit of denial. My son seems to think I am and that means a lot to me. Especially since I knew at only a few years old that my own dad was no role model. I was more likely to laugh at his orders.
    Flick Montana likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    I imagine good role models rarely strive to be so. They're just people who did the right thing. A role model can be someone who is simply loving or hard working. The every day way we act can be an inspiration to others, even if we can't see it in ourselves.

    I find that the greatest role models are those born out of hardship, not simply those in the public eye.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    How nice to have family that can be your role models.

    I think it would be wonderful for young people to know Newton was very anti social and didn't poorly in school. He did great in science because that was his refuge, his escape from social and personal pain. This is pretty true for Einstein as well. Original thinkers are not the kind of people who blend in the crowd, and they are not afraid to think differently from others.
    I have very few living role models. Many were loners, it turns out.
    But not all. And while conformity, to a degree, can be required to make it in some functions, as the social niceties require it, there's no requirement to be either a conformist or a non-conformist.

    Only the facts count.

    One deceased role model is Johannes Kepler. Not because of the things he accomplished; Not even because the things he accomplished were unpopular... But because the data was unpopular with Kepler, himself. It contradicted his beliefs.
    His strong beliefs.
    But Kepler agonizingly accepted the data and rejected his beliefs. He adjusted his model to reflect the data and not what he wanted it to reflect.

    To me, an original thinker is not just someone that thinks in spite of popular views, but one who accepts data, rejects irrational desire and is willing to be wrong, sometimes.

    Even Einstein said, on the topic of his injection of his belief into the data; "It was my greatest blunder."
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    If I could be half the person she is, I'd be a great man.
    So... a great man is half woman?
    I remember the weeks of pain I went through when I read a book that revealed my concept of reality was a culturally biased concept of reality, and not a good understanding of reality. Every since then, I have never been that sure of what I think I know. Unlike some people are very sure of what they think they know.

    I will accept Kepler as a good role model. I will add to this Margret Mead, who studied other cultures and expanded her consciousness. Not only did she study other cultures but she did so before women were liberated! I wish I knew of her before I did what society told me to do. Drop of college to marry, and stay home to be a good wife and mother. Of course there is value in this, but it is far too dependent on marrying the right man, which I did not. I wish women's lib had come earlier. My scientific work be my children, and I would have a freedom I can never have because of the chains on my life.
    Neverfly likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    I imagine good role models rarely strive to be so. They're just people who did the right thing. A role model can be someone who is simply loving or hard working. The every day way we act can be an inspiration to others, even if we can't see it in ourselves.

    I find that the greatest role models are those born out of hardship, not simply those in the public eye.
    I can't find the like button. Weird things happen in this forum. My introduction disappears and appears again. A post I was working on is blocked by some security issue and not the like button has disappeared. Oh well, again I want to say how much appreciate your thoughts. Often I wonder what these people might have achieved if had not been the adversity they faced. Especially the women who kept their families alive, even in conditions of warfare.
    Last edited by Rita; March 7th, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,771
    John Wayne. jocular
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    317
    Being a songwriter, I looked up to singers when I was young, guys like Elvis Presley and John Lennon.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    The only "real" people we all can watch on a daily basis is our family. They are the ones who we watch and learn from, whether good or bad, they are our closest fellow humans who we trust to show us how to live and survive in this world. If it wasn't for our families we could never learn reading, dicipline, love, caring and on and on which are the most important things we need to learn as we are growing up in this ever changing world. Thanks to our families they bring us through our most akward times of getting through adolescence and becoming whatever we want to become through education and social interactions.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by jocular View Post
    John Wayne. jocular
    John Wayne is a better choice that you may know. Kirk of the original Star Trek is the John Wayne of outer space. Picard of the Nest Generation, is the "group think" generation. A major social change resulting from the change in public education that has major social, economic and political ramifications. By comparing the original Star Trek and the Next Generation we can observe our social change and the issues we face.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
    Being a songwriter, I looked up to singers when I was young, guys like Elvis Presley and John Lennon.
    Both these singers had a strong influence on us. While people give credit to Reagan for bringing down communism, documentaries are giving credit to the Beatles and the notion of the power of love.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    The only "real" people we all can watch on a daily basis is our family. They are the ones who we watch and learn from, whether good or bad, they are our closest fellow humans who we trust to show us how to live and survive in this world. If it wasn't for our families we could never learn reading, dicipline, love, caring and on and on which are the most important things we need to learn as we are growing up in this ever changing world. Thanks to our families they bring us through our most akward times of getting through adolescence and becoming whatever we want to become through education and social interactions.
    Unfortunately not all children have families they can learn from and yet they are socialized by all of us. However, you seem to be speaking of an important scientific point. Because of behavior studies involving both apes and human development, we know the emotional relationship is a vital one! Cold and unresponsive parents can lead to a child being dull and failing to learn. On the other hand, a teacher can be the person who saves a child's life, by connecting with the child on an emotional level, opening the child to learning. It would be great if we used this science for making school budgets and policy, and respected and paid teachers as well as respect and we pay engineers who give us better "things", instead of better people.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    If we can be allowed to choose fictional characters, I am torn between Spock, Worf, and Garak.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    I am torn between Spock, Worf, and Garak.
    Calculating genius, honorable warrior, repentant exile....


































    tumblr_m24c9fKHFB1qfxhu4.jpg
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    If we can be allowed to choose fictional characters, I am torn between Spock, Worf, and Garak.
    Why not choose fictional characters? The Greek gods and goddess are fictional and they are archetypes we can identify with and emulate. I used Artemis to get me out of a bad situation on a mountain road I should not have traveled. A role model can be real or fictional. What is important is we reflect the role model when considering how we want to behave.

    So why would you choose those three? What does each offer you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    100
    [QUOTE=Flick Montana;400814]
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    I am torn between Spock, Worf, and Garak.
    Calculating genius, honorable warrior, repentant exile....
    /QUOTE]

    Ah, but can all our value judgments be mathematical equations? Interesting Spock is like a human very strong intellectual control, but when we go to the Next Generation, Spock is replace with a robot. If one wants to follow Spock, that one wants to study the philosophy of Stoicism. I am glad Spock was chosen and not Data.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,418
    Well if we're all going for star trek characters I'll go for Quark because he has a scientfic sounding name and my little cousin absolutely used to love Quark, he called him alien big ears
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Ah, but can all our value judgments be mathematical equations? Interesting Spock is like a human very strong intellectual control, but when we go to the Next Generation, Spock is replace with a robot. If one wants to follow Spock, that one wants to study the philosophy of Stoicism. I am glad Spock was chosen and not Data.
    I actually think Data was intentionally made the way he is for a specific message. He is everything that humans want to be except for the one thing we fail to define ourselves by. He's strong, intelligent, fast, impervious to many dangers, fearless. Yet, he lacks the human intangible, which to him seems to makes all the other things pale in comparison. He sees us as superheroes because we have what we consider mundane and take for granted; emotion.

    When he gets emotion, he loses many of his other powers. I think the purpose of the Data character was to show us that there is something special in every human that we so often fail to appreciate.
    Ascended likes this.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    When he gets emotion, he loses many of his other powers. I think the purpose of the Data character was to show us that there is something special in every human that we so often fail to appreciate.
    Data wished he was an animal.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Ah, but can all our value judgments be mathematical equations? Interesting Spock is like a human very strong intellectual control, but when we go to the Next Generation, Spock is replace with a robot. If one wants to follow Spock, that one wants to study the philosophy of Stoicism. I am glad Spock was chosen and not Data.
    I actually think Data was intentionally made the way he is for a specific message. He is everything that humans want to be except for the one thing we fail to define ourselves by. He's strong, intelligent, fast, impervious to many dangers, fearless. Yet, he lacks the human intangible, which to him seems to makes all the other things pale in comparison. He sees us as superheroes because we have what we consider mundane and take for granted; emotion.

    When he gets emotion, he loses many of his other powers. I think the purpose of the Data character was to show us that there is something special in every human that we so often fail to appreciate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    When he gets emotion, he loses many of his other powers. I think the purpose of the Data character was to show us that there is something special in every human that we so often fail to appreciate.
    Data wished he was an animal.
    There was another aspect to the Data character though, that was his uniqueness, that fact to start with at least he was the only one of his kind, he didn't have people that were the same as him to teach him, he adopted his values from his human creators and his own experiences, the ultimate form of orphan really.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,438
    Only on a science forum could a Role Models thread take an immediate and distinct turn toward Star Trek.

    Did I mention I really like this place?
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    I am torn between Spock, Worf, and Garak.
    Calculating genius, honorable warrior, repentant exile....
    All of them redeemed social outcasts.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    I am torn between Spock, Worf, and Garak.
    Calculating genius, honorable warrior, repentant exile....
    Ah, but can all our value judgments be mathematical equations? Interesting Spock is like a human very strong intellectual control, but when we go to the Next Generation, Spock is replace with a robot. If one wants to follow Spock, that one wants to study the philosophy of Stoicism. I am glad Spock was chosen and not Data.
    Actually Spock was half human. I should say, will be half human, as chronogically speaking, if he were real, he is yet to be born. And many would argue that hte strong intellectual control is what came from his Vulcan side. Humans are far too emotional to control themselves as Vulcans do. Perhaps someday, we will evolve the ability to match their control. But I doubt it. It seems to be human nature to resist control, from outside forces or from within. But this is just my own personal observation, I am sure other people would disagree based on theirs.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post

    I can't find the like button. Weird things happen in this forum. My introduction disappears and appears again. A post I was working on is blocked by some security issue and not the like button has disappeared. Oh well, again I want to say how much appreciate your thoughts. Often I wonder what these people might have achieved if had not been the adversity they faced. Especially the women who kept their families alive, even in conditions of warfare.
    What browser are you using, and on which OS ? Try deleting all temporary internet files from your browser cache, this often helps.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post

    I can't find the like button. Weird things happen in this forum. My introduction disappears and appears again. A post I was working on is blocked by some security issue and not the like button has disappeared. Oh well, again I want to say how much appreciate your thoughts. Often I wonder what these people might have achieved if had not been the adversity they faced. Especially the women who kept their families alive, even in conditions of warfare.
    What browser are you using, and on which OS ? Try deleting all temporary internet files from your browser cache, this often helps.
    On my browser, Firefox, you have to hover the mouse pointer over the post you want to like and the like link will suddenly appear in the lower left corner of the post. if you slide the mouse pointer away from the post, the link disappears.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Moderator Moderator Markus Hanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    On my browser, Firefox, you have to hover the mouse pointer over the post you want to like and the like link will suddenly appear in the lower left corner of the post. if you slide the mouse pointer away from the post, the link disappears.
    Same here, and I'm on Safari.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    On my browser, Firefox, you have to hover the mouse pointer over the post you want to like and the like link will suddenly appear in the lower left corner of the post. if you slide the mouse pointer away from the post, the link disappears.
    Same here, and I'm on Safari.
    Awesome, see if you can get good pics of lions, they are so cute and cuddly this time of year.
    Markus Hanke likes this.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Hanke View Post
    Same here, and I'm on Safari.
    Awesome, see if you can get good pics of lions, they are so cute and cuddly this time of year.
    Now, that's dedication to the forum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    100
    The like button is back. I have never before experienced a forum with so many odd things happening. Like post disappear and then reappear. The threads I post in keep ending up in the trash but I don't think that is a technical problem, just a human relationship problem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Maybe they are in the trash for it is evaluated as being trash worthy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    The like button is back. I have never before experienced a forum with so many odd things happening. Like post disappear and then reappear. The threads I post in keep ending up in the trash but I don't think that is a technical problem, just a human relationship problem.
    Just curious, but do you access the forum directly through the site or are you signed up with a third party that tracks your posts and rewards you for them. Someone else was accessing the site that way and I investigated the portal they used and I suspect that portal is causing problems. But not being the admin, I can't know if the forum is even accessible through any third party sites. I would think that it would only be possible if Admin allowed it, but I could be wrong, maybe one of those sites bypassed some security measures. who knows.

    But these are new oddities that have never happened before. Your OP on that one thread disappearing was the first time I ever noticed it.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Planet X
    Posts
    34
    Mine is Alfred Wegener because he discovered the theory of continental drift and stuck to it throughout his whole life until he died, even though no one believed him. It turns out that he was right and now he's in all of my textbooks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Professor pyoko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,095
    Linda Nagy, but the reasons are my own.
    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,785
    Charlie Sheen, Mel Gibson, OJ Simpson, and Dale Earnhardt Sr.
    pyoko likes this.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,798
    Shlunka.
    pyoko likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    If fictional then....

    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. The role of Methanethiol
    By miaoxiao369 in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM
  2. halophiles and thermophiles role?
    By scidude in forum Biology
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: September 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
  3. Are we playing a fictional role in life?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 19th, 2009, 03:49 AM
  4. “The Role of Categorization in Truth”
    By coberst in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 25th, 2008, 06:43 AM
  5. Role of Glauber'salt
    By yasovarman in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 11th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •