Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: A True Ghost Haunting for Halloween

  1. #1 A True Ghost Haunting for Halloween 
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    South Florida, USA
    As told by wife (Mrs H):

    "It had not been occupied for the owners for the past ten years, though occasionally it had been rented for the winter. Absolute silence reigned through the house, not a foot-fall could be heard. There was no electricity, the house being lit throughout by gas. …

    "One morning I heard footsteps in the room over my head. I hurried up the stairs. To my surprise the room was empty. I passed into the next room, and then into all the rooms on that floor, and then to the floor above, to find that I was the only person in that part of the house.

    "It had always been G’s (Mr. H) habit at night before going to bed to sit in the dining room and eat some fruit. In this house when seated at night at the table with his back to the hall, he invariably felt as if someone was behind him, watching him. He therefore turned his chair, to be able to watch what was going on in the hall.

    "Another time, a little before daylight, I was awakened by heavy footsteps going down a staircase behind the wall at the head of my bed. Then a number of crashes downstairs, as if several pots and pans had been hit together or against the kitchen stove. Soon I realized that there was no staircase behind the wall, only the thickly carpeted front stairs on which no footsteps could be heard. Also that it would be impossible in my room to hear any sounds from the kitchen, no matter how loud.

    "On one occasion, in the middle of the morning, as I passed from the drawing room into the dining room, I was surprised to see at the further end of the dining room, coming towards me, a strange woman, dark haired and dressed in black. As I walked steadily on into the dining room to meet her, she disappeared, and in her place I saw a reflection of myself in the mirror, dressed in a light silk waist. I laughed at myself, and wondered how the lights and mirrors could have played me such a trick. This happened three different times, always with the same surprise to me and the same relief when the vision turned into myself.

    "As I was dressing for breakfast one morning B (four years old) came to my room and asked me why I had called him. I told him that I had not called him; that I had not been in his room. With big and startled eyes, he said, 'Who was it then that called me? Who made that pounding noise?’ I told him it was undoubtedly the wind rattling his window. 'No,’ he said, 'it was not that, it was somebody that called me. Who was it?’ And so on he talked, insisting that he had been called, and for me to explain who it had been.

    "About this time my plants died. Some of them I had had for a number of years. At this time I had a cold and cough, and ached all over as if I were going to have an attack of flu, but as I had no fever, I went about as usual. G was not feeling at all well either. He had a great deal of pain at the back of his head and felt as if he was going to have typhoid fever for a second time. The servants, too, had grown pale and moved about the house listlessly.

    "On the night of January 15 we went to the opera. That night I had vague and strange dreams, which appeared to last for hours. When the morning came, I felt too tired and ill to get up. G told me that in the middle of the night he woke up, feeling as if someone had grabbed him by the throat and was trying to strangle him. He sat up in bed and had a violent fit of coughing, which lasted about five minutes. His first thought had been that burglars were in the house, but as everything was quiet he instantly dismissed that idea. It then flashed across his mind that I had been playing a joke on him, but upon looking at me, he saw that I was in a heavy sleep, very much as if I had been drugged. Until we lived in this house, I had always been a light sleeper, waking at the slightest sound. In this house, however, nothing seemed to wake or disturb me. Quite the contrary with G, for in the past he had always slept heavily, never hearing a sound and nothing disturbed him. Now he was continually waking, answering the telephone and the doorbell, which had never rung, and looking for burglars, who never materialized.

    "That morning after breakfast, as was my usual custom, I sent for the children’s nurse, a Scotch woman who had lived with me for several years. She looked worn out, and when I asked how the children had slept she burst out with, 'It has been a most terrible night. This house is haunted.’

    "I laughingly told her that that was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard. 'I would have said the same thing three months ago,’ she answered, 'but I have had such experiences that I am now convinced of it, and everyone in the house has had experiences too.’ She said that after being in the house two or three days, things had begun to happen. She had not told me before, as she and the rest of the household had made up their minds that I ought not to be disturbed about it. 'But last night,’ she continued, 'when the children were attacked, it became my duty to let you know at once. While you were at the opera,’ she went on, 'about half past eight, B woke up and ran screaming through the hall to my room, "Don’t let that big fat man touch me." He was terrified. It took Fraulein and me until ten o’clock to calm him. He slept the rest of the night with me, in my room. Fraulein slept in B’s bed, besides G Jr., to protect him.

    "G Jr. did not wake up all night but the muscles of his face kept twitching, as if someone was continually pinching him. In the morning when he woke, he said indignantly to Fraulein, "Why have you been sitting on top of me?" And when she told him that she had not been sitting upon him, but had been in the bed next to him, he said, "No, you have been sitting on top of me, and you were awfully heavy, too."

    'Some nights after I have been in bed for a while, I have felt as if the bed clothes were jerked off me, and I have also felt as if I had been struck on the shoulder. One night I woke up and saw sitting on the foot of my bed a man and a woman. The woman was young, dark and slight, and wore a large picture hat. The man was older, smooth shaven and a little bald. I was paralyzed and could not move, when suddenly I felt a tap on my shoulder and I was able to sit up, and the man and the woman faded away.

    "I interviewed all the servants in turn. They all had heard at some time or another, the footsteps at night going slowly along the corridor outside of their rooms. Each one at first had thought it one of the others, and was surprised, after inquiring, to find none of them about. They all spoke of strange experiences after they had gone to bed; as if something crept around the bed and then over them, and then they were unable to move. Sometimes it lasted for a long time, sometimes shorter. Not every night, but perhaps every second or third night. It never happened to them all on the same night, but to one and then to another.

    "Saturday morning, the eighteenth of January, G’s brother told us that he thought we were all being poisoned; that several years before he had read an article which told how a whole family had been poisoned by gas and had had the most curious delusions and experiences. He advised us to see Professor S at once. As he was out of town, his assistant, Mr. S, came at once to our house.

    "We told him how listless and ill the children appeared. He found one of them lying on the floor, and the other two in bed. We related the experiences of the children and servants, and told him about the plants. He examined the house thoroughly from top to bottom and interviewed the servants. He found the furnace in a very bad condition, the combustion being imperfect, the fumes, instead of going up the chimney, were pouring gases of carbon monoxide into our rooms. He advised us not to let the children sleep in the house another night. If they did, he said we might find in the morning that some one of them would never wake again.

    "Early in the afternoon our physician arrived and examined the children and agreed with Mr. S that they were being poisoned. … He also stated that none of us ought to stay in the house another night."

    Source: A letter written by a patient of William Wilmer, after whom the Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Clinic is named, and published by Wilmer in the American Journal of Ophthalmology in 1921. (edited by me to fit post limit).

    P.S. According to Dr. Wilbur the family was fully recovered after the repairs to the furnace was done, and no ghosts were ever seen or heard of again. Check your home Carbon Monoxide leaks and get sensors if you use a furnace or water heater that may produce CO.

    Reply With Quote  


Similar Threads

  1. Happy Halloween
    By DaBOB in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 30th, 2013, 04:04 PM
  2. Phantoms? Not the Halloween Kind.
    By The Finger Prince in forum Environmental Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 19th, 2011, 11:06 PM
  3. Very Enjoyable of the Ghost Whisperer
    By yuolivia in forum Scientific Study of Religion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 29th, 2010, 12:51 AM
  4. Ghost number
    By Heinsbergrelatz in forum Physics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 9th, 2010, 05:01 AM
  5. ghost of maxwell
    By beats666 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 13th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts