Notices
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paleoichneum

Thread: Have you noticed you can detect that a muted tv is on even when not in view?

  1. #1 Have you noticed you can detect that a muted tv is on even when not in view? 
    Santaronto
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    39
    I have noticed since high school that whenever a tv was on, particularily while I was in the school hallway, if it was in another room and just on blue screen, I could still tell it was on because I could sense it almost like detecting radiation. Have you ever noticed that before? I am not sure if you can tell because your ears pick up sound waves that are hard to describe or if it's your brain sensing something. Either way you can just tell a tv is on in another room even when not in view and without volume.


    Walking every street of Toronto to raise awareness of global warming http://www.whatscoolerthancool.org/
    Petitioning world leaders and governments to take more effective action on climate change http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...l-warming.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,226
    You are hearing the high pitch wine that the working of the tv electronics themselves make.


    msafwan likes this.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Santaronto
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    39
    ok interesting. so it must be at the very edge of the spectrum audible to the human ear, because I could not tell if I was hearing it, feeling it or sensing it in some other way.
    Walking every street of Toronto to raise awareness of global warming http://www.whatscoolerthancool.org/
    Petitioning world leaders and governments to take more effective action on climate change http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...l-warming.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,226
    I can hear it fairly distinctly actually, it depends on where your auditory spectrum is
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    414
    I hear it all the time, I have come to think of it as somewhat comforting. The constant of the faint noise brings me a sense of emptiness and I quite am fond of my particular television for that reason.
    With bravery and recognition that we are harbingers of our destiny and with a paragon of virtue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Santaronto
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    39
    ok so maybe some people percieve that noise different than others.
    Walking every street of Toronto to raise awareness of global warming http://www.whatscoolerthancool.org/
    Petitioning world leaders and governments to take more effective action on climate change http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...l-warming.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,328
    Could be visual, as illumination in the room will flicker - obviously with moving picture, less obviously with a paused CRT. Like some people know a fluorescently lit room by the discomfiting flicker.

    ...I've often wondered what insects make of such high frequency strobe lights. To their senses, it's the equivalent of a child playing with a light switch.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    And the voices. Do you hear the voices? Telling you to do such terrible things, like voting for Romney.


    /attempt at dark humour
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,922
    Quote Originally Posted by merrychristmas View Post
    I have noticed since high school that whenever a tv was on, particularily while I was in the school hallway, if it was in another room and just on blue screen, I could still tell it was on because I could sense it almost like detecting radiation. Have you ever noticed that before? I am not sure if you can tell because your ears pick up sound waves that are hard to describe or if it's your brain sensing something. Either way you can just tell a tv is on in another room even when not in view and without volume.
    I would be a little sceptical. I'm not saying you are wrong; some of the noise explanations are plausible.

    But, some people are convinced that not only can they tell that a WiFi transmitter is on, for example, but that it makes them ill. However, double blind trials show this to be completely false. They are just fooling themselves and relying on confirmation bias: they see it was on and say, "ah I knew it, I was feeling sick"; they see it is off and say, "I knew it, I felt fine."
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor Zwolver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    And the voices. Do you hear the voices? Telling you to do such terrible things, like voting for Romney.


    /attempt at dark humour
    Your calling 43% of americans terrible? Romney is an idiot, yes, but obama hasn't kept his word eiter. People who would blindly vote for someone, because they always vote that way, are terrible. Everyone should be able to make their own decisions, unless it's ungrounded and just out of mere stupidity. Those should not have the right to vote. Though, they do..

    Saying this, i doubt Romney would have any more then 1 or 2% of all votes left, merely the UPPER UPPER class, with dollar signs in their eyes. Scrooge mc Ducks...
    Growing up, i marveled at star-trek's science, and ignored the perfect society. Now, i try to ignore their science, and marvel at the society.

    Imagine, being able to create matter out of thin air, and not coming up with using drones for boarding hostile ships. Or using drones to defend your own ship. Heck, using drones to block energy attacks, counterattack or for surveillance. Unless, of course, they are nano-machines in your blood, which is a billion times more complex..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Look, the last time i used the "I hear voices" line 1/3 of subsequent posters thought I might really be insane and subject to auditory hallucinations. I needed a 'throw away' line to signal that I was not serious. Romney won my vote on this occassion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Santaronto
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwolver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    And the voices. Do you hear the voices? Telling you to do such terrible things, like voting for Romney.


    /attempt at dark humour
    Your calling 43% of americans terrible? Romney is an idiot, yes, but obama hasn't kept his word eiter. People who would blindly vote for someone, because they always vote that way, are terrible. Everyone should be able to make their own decisions, unless it's ungrounded and just out of mere stupidity. Those should not have the right to vote. Though, they do..

    Saying this, i doubt Romney would have any more then 1 or 2% of all votes left, merely the UPPER UPPER class, with dollar signs in their eyes. Scrooge mc Ducks...
    I don't want Obama to go and I live in Canada!
    Walking every street of Toronto to raise awareness of global warming http://www.whatscoolerthancool.org/
    Petitioning world leaders and governments to take more effective action on climate change http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...l-warming.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by merrychristmas View Post
    I have noticed since high school that whenever a tv was on, particularily while I was in the school hallway, if it was in another room and just on blue screen, I could still tell it was on because I could sense it almost like detecting radiation. Have you ever noticed that before? I am not sure if you can tell because your ears pick up sound waves that are hard to describe or if it's your brain sensing something. Either way you can just tell a tv is on in another room even when not in view and without volume.
    I would be a little sceptical. I'm not saying you are wrong; some of the noise explanations are plausible.

    But, some people are convinced that not only can they tell that a WiFi transmitter is on, for example, but that it makes them ill. However, double blind trials show this to be completely false. They are just fooling themselves and relying on confirmation bias: they see it was on and say, "ah I knew it, I was feeling sick"; they see it is off and say, "I knew it, I felt fine."
    Uhm, My TV makes a genuine humming sound.
    With bravery and recognition that we are harbingers of our destiny and with a paragon of virtue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,226
    My tvs are older so they do make an actual electronics humming which is audible in the upper spectrum.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Japith View Post
    Uhm, My TV makes a genuine humming sound.
    I'm sure it does. Old TVs will make a lot of noise because of the oscillators for the line and field scanning. New TVs will have switched mode supplies which can emit high frequencies.

    I was just commenting on the more general, "I can sense X" claim. People often think they can, even if they can't.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Yeah, I used to think I had super powers because I could tell when electronics were running silently from across the house. Turns out plenty of people can hear it and the sound apparently carries pretty well. I have to say it does bug me a little though.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Santaronto
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
    Yeah, I used to think I had super powers because I could tell when electronics were running silently from across the house. Turns out plenty of people can hear it and the sound apparently carries pretty well. I have to say it does bug me a little though.
    that is interesting though I think i have only noticed it with tvs
    Walking every street of Toronto to raise awareness of global warming http://www.whatscoolerthancool.org/
    Petitioning world leaders and governments to take more effective action on climate change http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...l-warming.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,328
    If you're in an office building when it powers down, the silence is jaw-dropping. It's kinda like your first visit to a chiropractor: you didn't know the discomfort you'd lived with.
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Santaronto
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    If you're in an office building when it powers down, the silence is jaw-dropping. It's kinda like your first visit to a chiropractor: you didn't know the discomfort you'd lived with.
    I have never come close to having that experience so I have no idea what it's like. when the next solar storm strikes will be the best time to practice that experience!
    Walking every street of Toronto to raise awareness of global warming http://www.whatscoolerthancool.org/
    Petitioning world leaders and governments to take more effective action on climate change http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...l-warming.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. To detect STEALTH PLANES position.
    By anand.p.h in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 31st, 2012, 09:40 AM
  2. Detect and Map Earthquakes Accurately Before They Strike
    By Adventurer in forum Earth Sciences
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2010, 04:52 PM
  3. THE SCIENTISTS DON'T DETECT THE FORCE OF GRAVITY
    By victorespinoza3 in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 28th, 2009, 06:55 AM
  4. Anyone noticed this?
    By Ian Price in forum Earth Sciences
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 4th, 2008, 05:39 AM
  5. something i noticed...
    By AlexP in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 24th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •