Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Murder suicide 1922 actual case

  1. #1 Murder suicide 1922 actual case 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1
    This is a true case that occured in 1922 in Ohio. My husbands grandmother was murdered by her estranged husband who was an ex policeman. After shooting her, he drank from a flask of Irish whiskey, left a suicide note and proceded to shoot himself in the chest 4 times. Now my husband just learned of the case and is questioning if it is possible for someone to shoot himself 4 times in the chest, even if he was under the influence of whiskey. We would appreciate any feedback on this. Being he was an ex policeman, could someone have finished the job for him, or could he actually been strong enough to shoot himself 4 times. What do you think??


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D. Raziell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    927
    A woman got shot 7 times in the head and survived.
    Someone can also fall on the floor and die from irregular heartbeat a few hours after.

    The human body is really weird because the slightest thing can kill it, and in some cases you can survive insane stuff.

    Shooting himself 4 times in the chest? Sounds more than plausible. He couldve hit a lung 3 times then the heart the 4th. Hell, he couldve been "unlucky" and shot himself 6 times in the chest or more before dying from blood loss. That he was a hardy man just makes it more plausible. If he didnt hit anything vital the first times he could easily have fired off more before blacking out.


    A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it. - David Stevens
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1
    Actually we were wondering if you would be able to turn the gun into your chest, it seems quite physically impossible to turn your wrist and shoot straight into your chest. That is the main question, the normal way to shoot yourself is in the head, not chest.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,411
    It would certainly be possible to shoot yourself in the chest, I really don't see how you 'wouldn't' be able to. The issue over whether he would be able to keep shooting himself 4 times seems possible if they were fired in rapid succession. I would be more suspicious about the decision to shoot himself in the chest, surely if he was trying to kill himself he would want it over fast rather than lingering in pain. It's very rare to see sucide by chest shot, usually a head shot would be much much more common.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Yes, it's possible to shoot yourself in the chest. Usually, it wouldn't kill you right away. Some people in gunfights fight on for quite a while after being mortally wounded. The biggest problem would be holding onto the gun which would tend to recoil out of your hand. That would depend on what caliber the cartridge was. It was probably a relatively small caliber.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie1776 View Post
    This is a true case that occured in 1922 in Ohio. My husbands grandmother was murdered by her estranged husband who was an ex policeman. After shooting her, he drank from a flask of Irish whiskey, left a suicide note and proceded to shoot himself in the chest 4 times. Now my husband just learned of the case and is questioning if it is possible for someone to shoot himself 4 times in the chest, even if he was under the influence of whiskey. We would appreciate any feedback on this. Being he was an ex policeman, could someone have finished the job for him, or could he actually been strong enough to shoot himself 4 times. What do you think??
    Why is this line in your story? How did they know he drank after the murder and not before? Did the same guy who figured that out also declare it a murder-suicide? This sounds suspiciously like a story concocted by the authorities to save either the reputation of a once respected ex-policeman who just happened to get a good shot off after grandma got the first four in or the reputation of a nice lady..

    On second thought I wouldn't doubt if after grandma drilled her husband four times she then whacked herself. Police covered it up later. This is the simplest solution to your conundrum.
    Last edited by zinjanthropos; September 26th, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    Why is this line in your story? How did they know he drank after the murder and not before? Did the same guy who figured that out also declare it a murder-suicide? This sounds suspiciously like a story concocted by the authorities to save either the reputation of a once respected ex-policeman who just happened to get a good shot off after grandma got the first four in or the reputation of a nice lady..

    On second thought I wouldn't doubt if after grandma drilled her husband four times she then whacked herself. Police covered it up later. This is the simplest solution to your conundrum.
    The line is in the story in case the booze is what allowed him to shoot himself 4 times. How would he leave a suicide note if he did not commit suicide? There is no conundrum, as the official story is quite plausible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos View Post
    Why is this line in your story? How did they know he drank after the murder and not before? Did the same guy who figured that out also declare it a murder-suicide? This sounds suspiciously like a story concocted by the authorities to save either the reputation of a once respected ex-policeman who just happened to get a good shot off after grandma got the first four in or the reputation of a nice lady..

    On second thought I wouldn't doubt if after grandma drilled her husband four times she then whacked herself. Police covered it up later. This is the simplest solution to your conundrum.
    The line is in the story in case the booze is what allowed him to shoot himself 4 times. How would he leave a suicide note if he did not commit suicide? There is no conundrum, as the official story is quite plausible.
    You're not getting it. He didn't write the note.

    Drunken sot beats on Grandma, she gets gun, shoots hubby 4 times in the chest, feels terrible about it, blasts herself, cops show up, they know the guy, ....do I need to go on? It's 1922. More plausible than shooting yourself 4 times in the chest.
    Last edited by zinjanthropos; September 26th, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
    All that belongs to human understanding, in this deep ignorance and obscurity, is to be skeptical, or at least cautious; and not to admit of any hypothesis, whatsoever; much less, of any which is supported by no appearance of probability...Hume
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie1776 View Post
    This is a true case that occured in 1922 in Ohio. My husbands grandmother was murdered by her estranged husband who was an ex policeman. After shooting her, he drank from a flask of Irish whiskey, left a suicide note and proceded to shoot himself in the chest 4 times. Now my husband just learned of the case and is questioning if it is possible for someone to shoot himself 4 times in the chest, even if he was under the influence of whiskey. We would appreciate any feedback on this. Being he was an ex policeman, could someone have finished the job for him, or could he actually been strong enough to shoot himself 4 times. What do you think??
    If he were to shoot himself in the chest, would he not have powder burns to show for it? Might be something that would be mentioned in the police report.
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 28th, 2012, 01:38 AM
  2. actual philosophy
    By Yash in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 19th, 2011, 12:51 PM
  3. Actual pix of an exoplanet
    By Arch2008 in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM
  4. The actual King of Pseudoscience?
    By Neutrino in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 22nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
  5. a MURDER of my own
    By Draculogenes in forum Biology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: October 19th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •