Notices
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Ignorance of Science in Pop Culture/Politics

  1. #1 Ignorance of Science in Pop Culture/Politics 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    From an Insane Clown Posse song entitled "Miracles":

    "fucking magnets..how do they work..and I don't wanna talk to a scientist ya'll motha fuckas lyin' and gettin' me pissed"

    Also, unrelated to science but revealing about the intelligence of these "artists:

    "I fed a fish to a pelican at 'Frisco Bay. It tried to eat my cell phone. He ran away."



    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Michele Bachmann:

    "I support intelligent design," Bachmann told reporters following her speech at the conference, CNN reports. "What I support is putting all science on the table and then letting students decide. I don't think it's a good idea for government to come down on one side of scientific issue or another, when there is reasonable doubt on both sides."

    "I would prefer that students have the ability to learn all aspects of an issue," Bachmann said. "And that's why I believe the federal government should not be involved in local education to the most minimal possible process."

    This is the reason why I hated it when my mother would always say "you can grow up to be anything you want, a doctor or a lawyer even." As if being a lawyer is just as impressive as becoming a doctor...hmmm..I think studying natural laws is much more intelligent and useful than man-made laws, which cannot always live up to the "moral integrity" of the people and support justice as many think they should. Of course natural laws can be just as malicious as man-made laws, however it is (almost) never a doctor's intent to harm..they are here to help...many lawyers are money-grubbing attention whores looking for their next big TV break on CNN or Fox News. Notable lawyers:

    Michelle Bachmann

    Shirley Lynn Phelps-Roper

    Fred Phelps (disbarred)

    John Edwards

    Bill Clinton

    Hilary Clinton

    Barack Obama

    Michelle Obama

    Not all of them are nutcases, as you can see. Obama and Edwards are at least wise enough to discount intelligent design. However, it is telling that lawyers are the people with political influence in this country. People who know the law well and who could use that knowledge to potentially harm the public at large. Why don't we see retired doctors running for office? There are many shyster lawyers out there but I've known very few charlatan quacks possessing an MD...


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    If your primary job is to make laws well...then you probably want mostly lawyers do so.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    There's a difference between idiots and nutbags. Michelle Bachmann is a nutbag not an idiot. I'm sure she's quite knowledgeable about tax law.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Why don't we see retired doctors running for office? There are many shyster lawyers out there but I've known very few charlatan quacks possessing an MD...
    Bill Frist was a first rate heart surgeon, and U.S. Senator.

    I know incompetent MDs. The ER doc who splinted my broken arm knows less about it than a Boy Scout, and my orthopedic surgeon agrees.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox
    If your primary job is to make laws well...then you probably want mostly lawyers do so.
    Yes, but some people might know legal loopholes and take advantage of them at the expense of the common good. In that circumstance, no.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by i_feel_tiredsleepy
    There's a difference between idiots and nutbags. Michelle Bachmann is a nutbag not an idiot. I'm sure she's quite knowledgeable about tax law.
    Well, in my opinion, anyone lacking such basic scientific knowledge is a moron. I'd still fuck her though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Why don't we see retired doctors running for office? There are many shyster lawyers out there but I've known very few charlatan quacks possessing an MD...
    Bill Frist was a first rate heart surgeon, and U.S. Senator.

    I know incompetent MDs. The ER doc who splinted my broken arm knows less about it than a Boy Scout, and my orthopedic surgeon agrees.
    There's also Ron Paul, and Tom Coburn.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    The governor of my state is a petroleum geologist (laid off) turned brew pub owner. I hope you'll all vote for him when he runs for president. :P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Come on, guys. We're obviously interfering with gottspeiler's generalizations. We probably need to be careful not to let things like facts and history and reality get in the way of a baseless unfocused rant with no intelligible purpose.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    Come on, guys. We're obviously interfering with gottspeiler's generalizations. We probably need to be careful not to let things like facts and history and reality get in the way of a baseless unfocused rant with no intelligible purpose.
    All that I typed was that politicians being lawyers isn't always a positive thing. How is that baseless? What facts am I disregarding? I didn't even claim that all of them were corrupt. There is only no purpose to my rant because there is no solution to the problem of career politicians.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    All that I typed was that politicians being lawyers isn't always a positive thing.
    Actually, no. That's not all you typed, but like I said... Let's not let facts and reality get in the way, right?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Why don't we see retired doctors running for office? There are many shyster lawyers out there but I've known very few charlatan quacks possessing an MD...
    Bill Frist was a first rate heart surgeon, and U.S. Senator.

    I know incompetent MDs. The ER doc who splinted my broken arm knows less about it than a Boy Scout, and my orthopedic surgeon agrees.
    There's also Ron Paul, and Tom Coburn.
    Well let's talk about Ron Paul. The man is know for being wacky.

    US Republican Presidential candidate Ron Paul says, "It's a theory, the theory of evolution, and I don't accept it".

    http://sciencesense-eyesopen.blogspo...evolution.html

    The man clearly isn't an outstanding Physician with an attitude like that.

    Now let's talk about Tom Coburn:

    The Republican Senate candidate in Oklahoma warns of "rampant" lesbianism in some schools in the state in a tape released Monday by his Democratic opponent.
    The remark by Republican Tom Coburn drew a skeptical response from state educators.


    Not a genius.


    I'm shocked that these men are doctors. Apalled, in fact. Still, the fact remains that there are more lawyers in politics than doctors and they are capable of causing more harm.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox
    If your primary job is to make laws well...then you probably want mostly lawyers do so.
    Yes, but some people might know legal loopholes and take advantage of them at the expense of the common good. In that circumstance, no.
    Do you see a plumber when you're feeling ill?

    As yesterday's verdict in Illinois shows, corrupt lawyers-politicians either get booted by the voters, impeached, or spend time in jail. Our system mostly works.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox
    If your primary job is to make laws well...then you probably want mostly lawyers do so.
    Yes, but some people might know legal loopholes and take advantage of them at the expense of the common good. In that circumstance, no.
    Do you see a plumber when you're feeling ill?

    As yesterday's verdict in Illinois shows, corrupt lawyers-politicians either get booted by the voters, impeached, or spend time in jail. Our system mostly works.
    The first comment is lame.

    The second makes sense. I agree to an extent.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Why don't we see retired doctors running for office? There are many shyster lawyers out there but I've known very few charlatan quacks possessing an MD...
    Bill Frist was a first rate heart surgeon, and U.S. Senator.

    I know incompetent MDs. The ER doc who splinted my broken arm knows less about it than a Boy Scout, and my orthopedic surgeon agrees.
    There's also Ron Paul, and Tom Coburn.

    Well let's talk about Ron Paul. The man is know for being wacky.

    <snip>

    The man clearly isn't an outstanding Physician with an attitude like that.

    Now let's talk about Tom Coburn:

    <snip>

    Not a genius.


    I'm shocked that these men are doctors. Apalled, in fact.
    Well, that's all moot, really, and irrelevant to my point. You asked why we don't see doctors running for office. You've been provided a few examples of some that are today (right now) in office. Case closed. Nobody was defending their principle or ideals.

    Please do continue venting, though. I know I'm likely just frustrating you at this point, and probably making it worse for all of us.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    The first comment is lame.
    Do you? Why do you think someones who's primary job it is to write laws shouldn't be an expert at law? A rear few might find a niche providing leadership or just going along for the ride and voting what others think, most legislators need a command of law to be effective.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Why don't we see retired doctors running for office? There are many shyster lawyers out there but I've known very few charlatan quacks possessing an MD...
    Bill Frist was a first rate heart surgeon, and U.S. Senator.

    I know incompetent MDs. The ER doc who splinted my broken arm knows less about it than a Boy Scout, and my orthopedic surgeon agrees.
    There's also Ron Paul, and Tom Coburn.

    Well let's talk about Ron Paul. The man is know for being wacky.

    <snip>

    The man clearly isn't an outstanding Physician with an attitude like that.

    Now let's talk about Tom Coburn:

    <snip>

    Not a genius.


    I'm shocked that these men are doctors. Apalled, in fact.
    Well, that's all moot, really, and irrelevant to my point. You asked why we don't see doctors running for office. You've been provided a few examples of some that are today (right now) in office. Case closed. Nobody was defending their principle or ideals.

    Please do continue venting, though. I know I'm likely just frustrating you at this point, and probably making it worse for all of us.
    You're only frustrating your own sad attempt to discount my opinions. It may be moot but I never said this wasn't a trivial discussion about something minor. I said, and I quote, "the fact remains that there are more lawyers in politics than doctors and they are capable of causing more harm." That was my original point. Sure, there are some doctors in politics (although it doesn't matter anyway, that in itself is a moot point and I didn't mean for this to turn into a huge discussion) Some names were given and I analyzed their political thinking, which I found disagreable. My commentary on them was more of an aside. It didn't have anything to do with a defense of my earlier statement. They were merely observations. No "case closed". And don't try that "oh, I'm shaking in my boots" pseudo-fear sarcasm with me. I'm smart enough to see through it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    I should have said "why don't we see more doctors running for office" in my original statement. It is tiresome to have to semantically please you all the time inow. You have a brain, you know what I meant. No need to act like an arrogant asshole everytime someone makes a mistake. You've been wrong about many thing in your life, just like everyone else. Don't be a hypocrite.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    The first comment is lame.
    Do you? Why do you think someones who's primary job it is to write laws shouldn't be an expert at law? A rear few might find a niche providing leadership or just going along for the ride and voting what others think, most legislators need a command of law to be effective.
    It depends. Are they fighting for the good of the people?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    My intent was to have people list examples of scientific ignorance in the media in this thread. I didn't mean to cause an uproar.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    I should have said "why don't we see more doctors running for office" in my original statement.
    I agree. Good point.


    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    It is tiresome to have to semantically please you all the time inow.
    ?? It's tiresome to convey your intended points accurately? Interesting.


    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    You have a brain, you know what I meant. No need to act like an arrogant asshole everytime someone makes a mistake. You've been wrong about many thing in your life, just like everyone else. Don't be a hypocrite.
    Uhm. Ok. Not sure where I ever suggested I was never wrong, but again... Don't mean to let facts and reality get in the way of your rant. Enjoy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    ?? It's tiresome to convey your intended points accurately? Interesting.
    Emotions sometimes interfere with reason. Sorry.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Behind the enlightening rod.
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    I should have said "why don't we see more doctors running for office" in my original statement. It is tiresome to have to semantically please you all the time inow. You have a brain, you know what I meant. No need to act like an arrogant asshole everytime someone makes a mistake. You've been wrong about many thing in your life, just like everyone else. Don't be a hypocrite.
    At least American people are not stupid enough to elect bad movie actor to Presidency. No Schwarzenegger administration, what a relief!

    Jimmy Carter and Herbert Hoover, both engineers and lousy Presidents.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,280
    Quote Originally Posted by The Finger Prince
    Jimmy Carter and Herbert Hoover, both engineers and lousy Presidents.
    Number one, where the hell do you get off putting the good name of Jimmy Carter in the same sentence as Vacuum Boy?
    And number two, the only reason Vacuum Boy became president was he was a shitty engineer. He wanted to shut down the U.S. patent office because he thought everything possible had been invented already.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •