Notices

View Poll Results: Tired of school? Life?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • School

    2 10.00%
  • Life

    1 5.00%
  • Both

    5 25.00%
  • Neither

    12 60.00%
Results 1 to 54 of 54

Thread: Loss of Interest in Everything

  1. #1 Loss of Interest in Everything 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Life seems boring to me. I'm taking Ornithology, some Anthro classes, have taken History classes, Bio classes and English classes in the past along with foreign languages. I feel I'm burned out. I've been in school for 7 years and I want a degree (only 1.5 more years). I don't give a shit about anything anymore. When people ask what should be semi-interesting scientific questions like those on this forum (the evolution of human hairlessness, discussions about cell biology, etc) I just think to myself, "who gives a flying fuck?". I hate even doing homework...I could learn more via reading on my own...busywork is a complete waste of time and stresses me out.

    I feel that I already have a good overview of almost every subject I've taken and that all that remains is to fill in the minor details. For example, you might spend a year in grad school researching a single, narrow topic that you will lose interest in quickly. That's how I feel at the moment..many Bio teachers I've had for animal biology courses just focus on boring things like conservation efforts and taxonomy with a little bit of behavior and anatomy thrown in for good measure. Anthro teachers seem to have a boner for lectues on multiculturalism. People pushing agendas..not all of them bad agendas but not very scientifically useful. Also, many teachers take forever to grade exams which drives me nuts..I can't focus well when I'm worried about my grades...


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,292
    The physical universe is rife with kinetic oscillations, this seem's to translate over to our anthropic experience of it. I have my moments of, WTF am I doing here?
    I recommend disciplining yourself to an algorithm of getting by, be patient with yourself, eventually your "passions" will return.
    In the meantime take some long walks. Don't begin with a destination, but be pulled along by the mystery of "Over the hill", and "Around the bend".
    Don't force any introspection, but what thought's come don't struggle against them.
    And always remember to breath. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Slow, measured.
    And if you're not an addictive personality, a little pot doesn't hurt. If you are a regular or heavy user, then take a break.


    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Get a hobby or make time to do something you do like. Try something new. Get out and meet someone. Life's challenges are a lot more interesting if you can share your frustrations as well as laugh with each other. At one point in my grad education I got tired of the toil, months of gridding through code needed to get to the next step but feeling like I was laying a million bricks rather than building on the house above. On the verge of depression and even my wife being neglected she suggested the crazy idea that I use some time and take a ball room dancing class. Those ten hours or so a week were just the thing I needed to restock the fires for both carrying on with my research as well as rekindling our marriage.

    Don't let yourself get into a grad school project that you aren't interested in. Grad school is about teaching yourself and that's all the more difficult if you don't have sincere interest in what you’re doing.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D. Raziell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    927
    We are trapped in a universe so large, empty, cold and hostile that the brief existence of our world does seem meaningless. All our advancement and progress as an organism through evolution, all our technological advancement and so on, will most likely be DESTROYED in (on a cosmic scale) a breath of time. Either a total random thing like a meteor, or an inevitable detructive event like our sun going nova is almost certain to annihilate us. And who sees this? Noone. Who will hear our screams? Noone. We are alone. Noone will remember us.

    When you think about the madness and futility of our existence, you have the RIGHT to lose interest in everything. The world has nothing of value because it exists in an unwinnable scenario filled with despair. Even hope is a poison prolonging our chains to life.

    Not to sound depressing or anything, just pointing out that "losing interest in everything" is completely natural and normal for the situation we are in.
    A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it. - David Stevens
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Raziell
    We are trapped in a universe so large, empty, cold and hostile that the brief existence of our world does seem meaningless. All our advancement and progress as an organism through evolution, all our technological advancement and so on, will most likely be DESTROYED in (on a cosmic scale) a breath of time. Either a total random thing like a meteor, or an inevitable detructive event like our sun going nova is almost certain to annihilate us. And who sees this? Noone. Who will hear our screams? Noone. We are alone. Noone will remember us.

    When you think about the madness and futility of our existence, you have the RIGHT to lose interest in everything. The world has nothing of value because it exists in an unwinnable scenario filled with despair. Even hope is a poison prolonging our chains to life.

    Not to sound depressing or anything, just pointing out that "losing interest in everything" is completely natural and normal for the situation we are in.
    Yea, so what? Some people pay good money to go on scary rides, and then they enjoy it, and fully intentionally also.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 Re: Loss of Interest in Everything 
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    I've been in school for 7 years and I want a degree (only 1.5 more years)
    How is this possible ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    I'm doing the degree I want to do at the university I want to study at. I spend time with the people I want to spend my time with, I persue the hobbies I want to persue.

    And all of it is boring.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    It's time for you to ask your doc about an SSRI, gott. That's my $0.02.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 Re: Loss of Interest in Everything 
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,450
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    I don't give a shit about anything anymore.
    Oh I don't know about that. You spend the rest of your post grumbling over stuff you seem to give a shit about. Are people not giving a shit about you or your feelings? Do your educators even know you're there?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 Re: Loss of Interest in Everything 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    I don't give a shit about anything anymore.
    Oh I don't know about that. You spend the rest of your post grumbling over stuff you seem to give a shit about. Are people not giving a shit about you or your feelings? Do your educators even know you're there?
    I "care" in the sense that I know I have to do something to make money in life so that I can survive. Grumbling doesn't mean I care. People "care" enough about my feelings to wish me well but not enough to find me appealing and interesting.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    It's time for you to ask your doc about an SSRI, gott. That's my $0.02.
    On citalopram (40 mgs) already..it works to an extent
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12 Re: Loss of Interest in Everything 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    I've been in school for 7 years and I want a degree (only 1.5 more years)
    How is this possible ?
    Ok....2002, high school graduate went to University of Charleston in WV...flunked out due to severe depression....that's one year...attended Lenoir-Rhyne University in NC for two semesters a year later and flunked out for the same reason..that's 2 years...spent three years at a community college where I brought my grades up..now at UNC Charlotte in NC (obviously). I had all of my Gen Ed courses taken care of, so I only need to finish this semester of major and minor classes in order to have 24-28 credit hours remaining...I could accomplish this in a year but I'll say 1.5 years because we have a 120 hour total credit requirement to graduate and they may make me take another elective or two.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Senior Yash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    352
    Nothing is boring !! nor is tiring
    Feel grateful that we all have been granted with so much of intelligence as compared to other living beings !!
    I know life sometimes throws thousand tons of load on us, but to carry with that is our life long duty, some people are lucky they don't have to.

    God Bless us all !!
    Satisfaction Should Be Given First Priority
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14 Re: Loss of Interest in Everything 
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,450
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    I don't give a shit about anything anymore.
    Oh I don't know about that. You spend the rest of your post grumbling over stuff you seem to give a shit about. Are people not giving a shit about you or your feelings? Do your educators even know you're there?
    I "care" in the sense that I know I have to do something to make money in life so that I can survive. Grumbling doesn't mean I care. People "care" enough about my feelings to wish me well but not enough to find me appealing and interesting.
    On the surface it appears there is some anxiety regarding future employment, facing the real world and knowing such could be playing on your conscience. It seems you are directing feelings of guilt, hopelessness, and anger towards yourself, as if you are blaming yourself for what appears to be a shitty mess.

    I assure you that depression can be beaten without drugs, all it takes is time and effort. If you want to cure it then you need to work at it, if you want to drag it around like Morley's chain then keep doing what you're doing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15 Re: Loss of Interest in Everything 
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos
    I assure you that depression can be beaten without drugs, all it takes is time and effort. If you want to cure it then you need to work at it, if you want to drag it around like Morley's chain then keep doing what you're doing.
    I wouldn't' be so certain. When depression starts effecting ability to function, professional mental help should be sought to find the best solution whether that be some drug, therapy or combination.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos
    I assure you that depression can be beaten without drugs, all it takes is time and effort. If you want to cure it then you need to work at it, if you want to drag it around like Morley's chain then keep doing what you're doing.
    I wouldn't' be so certain. It appears from the description that it appears to be effecting your ability to function. You should consider professional mental help.
    I'm fairly confident that the "You" in Lynx_Fox' post was directed at gottspeiler, not zinjan, so I'm just posting to ensure clarity.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northumbria UK
    Posts
    1,043
    gottspieler, Get yourself a chick and a good shag, it may help.
    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Senior Yash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    352
    Hey !! come on !! Don't make the person depressed.
    He can handle out with the situation very well.
    Satisfaction Should Be Given First Priority
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Gott,
    you are young, healthy and smart. You've got it all. Start using it. Use it now, because before you know it you will be old, ill and assinine and it will say Time Lord under your forum avatar.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Senior Yash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    Gott,
    you are young, healthy and smart. You've got it all. Start using it. Use it now, because before you know it you will be old, ill and assinine and it will say Time Lord under your forum avatar.
    It is not always necessary to copy the world around, experience life and make your own decision independently, that's how one should live !!
    Satisfaction Should Be Given First Priority
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wilson
    gottspieler, Get yourself a chick and a good shag, it may help.
    Speaking of this..had to listen to my roomie bang his girl like 5 mins ago..lol..jealous...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22 Re: Loss of Interest in Everything 
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos
    I assure you that depression can be beaten without drugs, all it takes is time and effort. If you want to cure it then you need to work at it, if you want to drag it around like Morley's chain then keep doing what you're doing.
    I wouldn't' be so certain. When depression starts effecting ability to function, professional mental help should be sought to find the best solution whether that be some drug, therapy or combination.
    I'm certain depressions can be beaten without drugs (obsessive thoughts for one) but I'll be the first to admit that you are right about professional help. Perhaps Gotts can seek out the help he needs, publish the findings here, and we can all take a shot at it. Might be good therapy. Then again this is the internet and as such I am wary about the whole thing anyway.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23 Re: Loss of Interest in Everything 
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by zinjanthropos
    I'm certain depressions can be beaten without drugs
    Some depressions can, yes, but not all. Lynx is quite correct. Sometimes we're sabotaged by our own neurophysiology, and simple counseling or exercise is not enough. It really is case dependent. Some folks don't need meds to beat depression, others do. There is no shame in either, but the fact remains that your certainty is misplaced. Some people really do need assistance from chemicals to assist in overcoming the effects of their neurophysiology.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    Gott,
    you are young, healthy and smart. You've got it all. Start using it. Use it now, because before you know it you will be old, ill and assinine and it will say Time Lord under your forum avatar.
    Thanks man.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    He's right, though, dude. The only thing standing in your way is yourself. I'm somewhere in age between you and Ophi, and I have to remind myself of that nearly everyday.

    People talk of just letting go. It's incredibly true. Just release the nonsense. Take a deep breath, and let the bullshit fade with your exhale.

    It's rather amazing the beauty which remains when you discard the focus on the rubbish.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Time Lord zinjanthropos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Driving in my car
    Posts
    5,450
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    People talk of just letting go. It's incredibly true. Just release the nonsense. Take a deep breath, and let the bullshit fade with your exhale.

    It's rather amazing the beauty which remains when you discard the focus on the rubbish.
    You're absolutely right. This is exactly what I was intimating in my previous two posts, people have it in them to beat depression. Maybe not in all cases such as physiological defect or severe trauma.

    If Gotts is genuine then it appears as if his current malaise began with an obsessive thought concerning his own persona. There are plenty of reasons why he would choose to take this route but the bottom line is that at some point Gotts began to think negative about himself. The original thought has branched off into various other thoughts associated with it, yet all more or less the same.

    It gets to a point where it seems like it will never leave your mind. Despair & hopelessness accompany it, yet it is still possible to eventually return to some semblance of normalcy. There's plenty of books that can help and some will suggest thought remedies that you might never have imagined yourself doing but they work. Use your mind to fix your mind.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    A guy at school almost ran into me with his bike when I was taking on the phone with my mom. I told the guy angrily, "watch out!" and glared at him. I am a powerlifter and very muscular yet my mom says ,"don't get beat up"...why? Because I'm not a fighter? I understand to an extent yet that felt extremely emasculating..as a young kid I was punched a few times and didn't fight back and have developed a complex. Don't people understand that I am sensitive to comments like that? I've told people I used to be bullied. I was in the right anyway. He almost crushed me. What else should I have done? I would have been a pansy if I would have said nothing..but my mom percieved my standing up for myself as me picking a fight which she thought I'd lose...I'm not claiming that I'd win every fight..I just want people to know I can hold my own. They make me feel like I need to beat someone up just to prove a point. It upsets me. Just because I'm a nice guy people percieve me as a pussy. One of my friends told me in prison I'd be somebody's bitch the other day. Yea, I laugh nervously sometimes. Yea I can be shy. But I also can be an asshole. However people seem to see it as me just whining..lol..Why don't people see that I can be a genuine asshole? I want to be seen as macho and in charge of things...but I look young, am nice and can be shy....how can I earn respect and improve the way people see me without beating the hell out of someone?


    How can I be happy with myself when I'm not respected?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    A guy at school almost ran into me with his bike when I was taking on the phone with my mom. I told the guy angrily, "watch out!" and glared at him. I am a powerlifter and very muscular yet my mom says ,"don't get beat up"...why? Because I'm not a fighter? I understand to an extent yet that felt extremely emasculating..as a young kid I was punched a few times and didn't fight back and have developed a complex. Don't people understand that I am sensitive to comments like that? I've told people I used to be bullied. I was in the right anyway. He almost crushed me. What else should I have done? I would have been a pansy if I would have said nothing..but my mom percieved my standing up for myself as me picking a fight which she thought I'd lose...I'm not claiming that I'd win every fight..I just want people to know I can hold my own. They make me feel like I need to beat someone up just to prove a point. It upsets me. Just because I'm a nice guy people percieve me as a pussy. One of my friends told me in prison I'd be somebody's bitch the other day. Yea, I laugh nervously sometimes. Yea I can be shy. But I also can be an asshole. However people seem to see it as me just whining..lol..Why don't people see that I can be a genuine asshole? I want to be seen as macho and in charge of things...but I look young, am nice and can be shy....how can I earn respect and improve the way people see me without beating the hell out of someone?


    How can I be happy with myself when I'm not respected?
    Beating someone up may make you feared. It will not make you respected.

    If you are as physically powerful as you say, it might get you jailed. Or shot.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    how can I earn respect and improve the way people see me without beating the hell out of someone?
    Take a frigging interest in someone other than yourself. Your self focus is becoming tiresome. Time you grew out of it and started thinking about others for a while. (e.g. Has it even occured to you that Coberst is dead?)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    I love the broken logic here. "Nobody respects me. I need to prove to them they should by being emotionally volatile, walking around on a hair trigger, and beating up any random person I think has looked at me wrong... Yeah... That's the ticket! That'll make people respect me!"

    Respect yourself first, gotts. The rest will follow somewhat naturally.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    how can I earn respect and improve the way people see me without beating the hell out of someone?
    Take a frigging interest in someone other than yourself. Your self focus is becoming tiresome. Time you grew out of it and started thinking about others for a while. (e.g. Has it even occured to you that Coberst is dead?)
    What? What happened?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    How can I be happy with myself when I'm not respected?
    the last person to receive respect is the one who demands it

    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    Has it even occured to you that Coberst is dead?
    "is dead" - or "may be dead" ?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    How can I be happy with myself when I'm not respected?
    the last person to receive respect is the one who demands it

    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    Has it even occured to you that Coberst is dead?
    "is dead" - or "may be dead" ?
    Sorry. "May be dead." There was an implicit (possibly) between is and dead - but not a very clear one. It is just a very long time since he has appeared on any forum. I fear he may be gone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    There's always the possibility that he dedicated so much time to writing and posting long rambling nonsensical essays on "critical thinking" that he neglected to pay his bills, and as a result is now living on the streets.

    Maybe he finally got the psychiatric help he needed.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,292
    I googled coberst, it seems there's some scuttlebutt as to whether he is organic, or artificial, in some other forums.

    And Gotts, this thread is on page three, most of your thread's seem to get lot's of traffic. Empirical evidence of popularity amongst a motley collection of geeks. Congrats!
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    i wouldn't go out with him though
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    i wouldn't go out with him though
    Hey! That's not nice...

    Don't worry Gotts, I'd go out with you. As long as "go out with" meant casual hookups with no strings attached and we didn't have to see each other during daytime hours.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    Quote Originally Posted by i_feel_tiredsleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    i wouldn't go out with him though
    Hey! That's not nice...
    just kidding
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by i_feel_tiredsleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    i wouldn't go out with him though
    Hey! That's not nice...
    just kidding
    And I was totally serious about the casual hookups.

    Gotts, call me!

    :wink:
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    i wouldn't go out with him though
    Maybe if you didn't know it was me you would....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    171
    I can be angry with things in life but neither really tired. I love life, I love tasting, smelling, seeing, touching, making love, meeting people, exchanging ideas, learning new things, concepts, feeling new sensations.
    Actually life is much too short, I need 500 years to get tired. I am sad that half of my life is already gone ! Life is so short.

    Have you listened Aster Aweke's Y'shebelu ?
    Have you tested fresh walnuts ?
    Making love on the heat of a summer afternoon, sweating oily bodies ?
    Seeing the waterfalls of the Carbet, in Guadeloupe, a line of silver in the emerald forest ?

    For me, this question is so nonsensical that it is like teaching Torquemada the quantic theory.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Have you listened Aster Aweke's Y'shebelu ?
    ...can't say that I have..or that anyone else on Earth ever has either...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    I hope coberst is alright, as much as his barrage of threads in the Philosophy subforum were a lot of them were intruiging to read. Others seemed jibberish, and that's the way it is though.

    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Have you listened Aster Aweke's Y'shebelu ?
    ...can't say that I have..or that anyone else on Earth ever has either...
    It sounds like an erotic dance. Ooh lala
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    39
    If you follow GiantEvil's deterministic/nihilistic point of view then go and do whatever the fuck you want which includes but is not limited to suicide. It's funny how a deterministic state is seen as almost insane and only when you busy yourself with everyday life and social interactions and either ignore or forget the truth you are considered to be in your right mind, but then again in the deterministic point of view none of it matters anyway.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    That made sense.

    And I like your name. Welcome to the forum.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    That made sense.

    And I like your name. Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks and chances are that over time you'll grow to hate me, though it seems this is a forum filled with people like me so maybe it won't come to that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverusername
    If you follow GiantEvil's deterministic/nihilistic point of view then go and do whatever the fuck you want which includes but is not limited to suicide. It's funny how a deterministic state is seen as almost insane and only when you busy yourself with everyday life and social interactions and either ignore or forget the truth you are considered to be in your right mind, but then again in the deterministic point of view none of it matters anyway.
    Where did you get the idea that I hold to deterministic and nihilistic philosophies?
    I have consistently argued against these things.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil
    Where did you get the idea that I hold to deterministic and nihilistic philosophies?
    I have consistently argued against these things.
    I was referring to your reply to this thread:

    The physical universe is rife with kinetic oscillations, this seem's to translate over to our anthropic experience of it.
    also either I'm a complete idiot or your most current thread in the philosophy section is about ideas based on the fact that there is no free will.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverusername
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil
    Where did you get the idea that I hold to deterministic and nihilistic philosophies?
    I have consistently argued against these things.
    I was referring to your reply to this thread:

    The physical universe is rife with kinetic oscillations, this seem's to translate over to our anthropic experience of it.
    also either I'm a complete idiot or your most current thread in the philosophy section is about ideas based on the fact that there is no free will.
    As for the kinetic oscillations, I was using a metaphor to illustrate the rise and fall of mood.

    As for the thread in philosophy, go read the OP. Original Post, or sometimes Original Poster, dependent on context.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    39
    Perhaps I should have read more than the first couple of sentences of the OP, I blame my lack of sleep.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleverusername
    Perhaps I should have read more than the first couple of sentences of the OP, I blame my lack of sleep.
    No worries, happens to the best of us. I do get the amusing image of someone passed out on their keyboard and sleep-drooling into it.
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil
    I do get the amusing image of someone passed out on their keyboard and sleep-drooling into it.
    Happened to me before (maybe not actually drooling). I ended up with hundreds of pages of random letters on Word, where my face had pressed the keys. Unfortunately they weren't all Zs, which would have been funny...
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    meh..life is somewhat better now...made a new friend..two girls smiled at me yesterday started working on an assignment early...bought a mammalogy text online and can't wait to read it...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler View Post
    A guy at school almost ran into me with his bike when I was taking on the phone with my mom. I told the guy angrily, "watch out!" and glared at him. I am a powerlifter and very muscular yet my mom says ,"don't get beat up"...why? Because I'm not a fighter? I understand to an extent yet that felt extremely emasculating..as a young kid I was punched a few times and didn't fight back and have developed a complex. Don't people understand that I am sensitive to comments like that? I've told people I used to be bullied. I was in the right anyway. He almost crushed me. What else should I have done? I would have been a pansy if I would have said nothing..but my mom percieved my standing up for myself as me picking a fight which she thought I'd lose...I'm not claiming that I'd win every fight..I just want people to know I can hold my own. They make me feel like I need to beat someone up just to prove a point. It upsets me. Just because I'm a nice guy people percieve me as a pussy. One of my friends told me in prison I'd be somebody's bitch the other day. Yea, I laugh nervously sometimes. Yea I can be shy. But I also can be an asshole. However people seem to see it as me just whining..lol..Why don't people see that I can be a genuine asshole? I want to be seen as macho and in charge of things...but I look young, am nice and can be shy....how can I earn respect and improve the way people see me without beating the hell out of someone?


    How can I be happy with myself when I'm not respected?

    Hi! I wish you can still view my comment.
    It's not so bad to be young looking or have shy personality or even sissy. Study the Japanese pop idol culture and look particularly with the mega popular Japanese idol Kazuya Kamenashi. You will be amazed that he have those image that you have but he became very hot--hotter than any macho men.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •