Notices
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Looking for partners for a telepathy experiment.

  1. #1 Looking for partners for a telepathy experiment. 
    Forum Ph.D. Leszek Luchowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gliwice, Poland
    Posts
    807
    Hi all,

    back in my teens (briefly after the battle of the river Lech) I did a few interesing experiments in telepathy. My partners were my sister and a cousin; the distance was first a few meters and then 100km. The results, IMHO, were on the positive side, i.e. telepathy seems to have worked at least sometimes.

    Now, all those eons later, armed with the power of the Internet and perhaps better versed in scientific methodology, I'd like to try it again.

    My plan is as follows:

    - Somebody far away volunteers to be my partner (if there are more volunteers we can have multiple experiments or have several people receiving what one transmits).

    - We use a random number generator to create random strings of letters. I can program that under a spreadsheet or Scilab, whichever the partner(s) prefer.

    - At a fixed date and time, the person chosen to be the sender uses a random string and puts it into the Google search for images.

    - Exclude child pornography and other objectionable material (we'll define some exact rules, so as to eliminate subjective selection).

    - Exclude portrait photos of people, because a random string of letters is likely to resemble somebody's name, and the experiment wouldn't work well with lots of faces.

    - The sender takes the first image among those that are left, and concentrates on it, say for 15 minutes, trying to focus on simple visual features of the image, and also, if applicable, imagining the sensual experience of being the thing or creature presented in the picture.

    - The recepient, at the same time, sits down or lies down, eyes closed, calms him/herself, and tries to keep his/her mind blank. Then writes down anything s/he has seen or felt, and reports it to the sender.

    - After a few such sessions, we announce the results here, showing with the images used and the receivers' reports.

    I am open to other proposals.

    My location is Gliwice, Poland, and volunteers from faraway places would be most interesting, but I will also gladly experiment with a next-door neighbour.

    Any volunteers?


    Leszek. Pronounced [LEH-sheck]. The wondering Slav.
    History teaches us that we don't learn from history.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Leszek, I would be willing to participate. However, I am pretty skeptical, so if the telepathic ability depends on any confidence in the method, I am probably not the best subject.

    A while ago, I participated in a similar experiment on remote viewing, which I suppose is related but not the same thing. The person thought he could use remote viewing to describe something about a photo if I put it in a drawer along with a sheet of paper with a number written on it. It didn't work out very well.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Ph.D. Leszek Luchowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gliwice, Poland
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    Leszek, I would be willing to participate.
    You are most welcome; please state your time zone and timing preferences so we can start to draft a schedule. And forbear with me if I stay offline until DEC27, the Christmas preparations - and soon celebrations - are claiming a lot of my time. I hope to be able to sneak in a post or two however.

    Also, which do you prefer as a tool for the random text generator? I have two very different tools readily available to me: Open Office Calc and Scilab.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    However, I am pretty skeptical, so if the telepathic ability depends on any confidence in the method, I am probably not the best subject.
    I am not aware of any such dependency. In fact, the first experiences I've had with telepathy simply happened, without anybody expecting them, let alone having any kind of faith in them. What might be a problem - in the extremely dim light of my nearly inextant knowledge - is the fact that we don't know each other well. My experiences, both incidental and planned, were with close family. I don't know if that is a factor. But I am very much looking forward to trying.

    Cheers, L.
    Leszek. Pronounced [LEH-sheck]. The wondering Slav.
    History teaches us that we don't learn from history.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Okay, I'm ready. I don't have Scilab. I have Microsoft Excel, so if you make a spreadsheet, that should work.

    Edit: We could use this random word generator.
    http://watchout4snakes.com/creativit...mWordPlus.aspx
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5 Re: Looking for partners for a telepathy experiment. 
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by "Leszek Luchowski- The recepient, at the same time, sits down or lies down, eyes closed, calms him/herself, and [b
    tries to keep his/her mind blank[/b]. Any volunteers?
    Harold -- bad choice

    Cyberia or Ghrasp -- good choice
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,840
    If you can prove telepathy, your future is assured, and you will be wealthy. The retired stage magician, James Randi (stage name) has set up a one million dollar prize for any person able to demonstrate, under controlled scientific conditions, any psychic ability.
    http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

    I am not confident in your chances, though. Randi introduced the prize in 1964 at $1000, and has increased it every year, till some time ago, it reached the million. Lots of people have tried for it, and no-one has been able to show any psychic ability under controlled, or scientific conditions.

    The highest probability is that no such abilities exist.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: Looking for partners for a telepathy experiment. 
    Forum Ph.D. Leszek Luchowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gliwice, Poland
    Posts
    807
    To Harold: The online random generator looks OK to me, and will save us the trouble of creating one from scratch. What are your time constraints? My preferences would be in the evening (say between 6pm and 11pm), and my time zone is GMT+1.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrRocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Luchowski
    The recepient, at the same time, sits down or lies down, eyes closed, calms him/herself, and tries to keep his/her mind blank. Any volunteers?
    Harold -- bad choice

    Cyberia or Ghrasp -- good choice
    In this particular context, by "blank" I meant restful, calm, open, and receptive. From this point of view, I don't think you will stick to your opinion.

    Skeptic - thank you for the hint. One more reason to try. I can think of quite a few things I'd do with a share in a $1m prize.
    Leszek. Pronounced [LEH-sheck]. The wondering Slav.
    History teaches us that we don't learn from history.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    PM sent to set up a time. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell us about your experiences that make you think telepathy is possible?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D. Leszek Luchowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gliwice, Poland
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370
    PM sent to set up a time. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell us about your experiences that make you think telepathy is possible?
    Gladly, but not right now (it's 4:17am here). It's a long story.

    And for starters, let's get some less controversial modes of communication working: I didn't get your PM. What's up? I'm sending you one as a test.
    Leszek. Pronounced [LEH-sheck]. The wondering Slav.
    History teaches us that we don't learn from history.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    I had some issues with an overfilled mailbox which may have been preventing me from sending a pm. Tried again.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    66
    Can I add if I may.


    Telepathy is the 'supposed exchange of thoughts and reading minds'. However if you clearly look at the science that has been done to date brain waves are too infinitesimal to propagate externally to the body and so can travel know where.


    Have you considered EMP (ESP) - Electromagnetic perception (extra sensory perception). The resultant complex wave function radiated and created by the body is capable of propagating a distance beyond the body. (Quantum electro-dynamics).



    EMR15
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    You say this:
    Quote Originally Posted by EMR15 View Post
    However if you clearly look at the science that has been done to date brain waves are too infinitesimal to propagate externally to the body and so can travel know where.
    Closely followed by this:
    The resultant complex wave function radiated and created by the body is capable of propagating a distance beyond the body. (Quantum electro-dynamics).
    These are obviously contradictory statements. The first is, as you say, supported by evidence. The latter is something you made up.

    And please stop spamming this idiocy in every vaguely related thread. It only makes you look even more crackpottish.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    Plus, this thread is four years old...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    p.s. I don't think "Quantum electro-dynamics" means what you think it does.

    The Vega Science Trust - Richard Feynman - Science Videos
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    66
    Yeah I just notices the date, oh well....


    And,


    Quantum Electro Dynamics covers many things, area of interest being the propagation of electrons and positrons in the surrounding environment spatial coordinates etc...

    I think it maybe your self that has it mixed?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by EMR15 View Post
    Yeah I just notices the date, oh well....


    And,


    Quantum Electro Dynamics covers many things, area of interest being the propagation of electrons and positrons in the surrounding environment spatial coordinates etc...

    I think it maybe your self that has it mixed?
    No. It is plain you understand nothing whatever of QED. What on Earth can you mean by "propagation" of electrons and positrons and by "spatial coordinates" in this context?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    66
    I take it you have never studied QED, as you are a chemist you have no need too (supposedly).


    Look under the section 'Propagators of Electrons & Positrons', 'propagators & scatter theory' under QED, also 'Greens function', 'wave functions' and how spatial coordinates tally in with everything. An arbitrary points x, x', x1 etc... It's all good.


    EMR15
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by EMR15 View Post
    I take it you have never studied QED, as you are a chemist you have no need too (supposedly).
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    Remind me, what happens when an electron and a positron come into contact with each other?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    17,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    Remind me, what happens when an electron and a positron come into contact with each other?
    They are converted to two gamma-ray photons.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by EMR15 View Post
    I take it you have never studied QED, as you are a chemist you have no need too (supposedly).


    Look under the section 'Propagators of Electrons & Positrons', 'propagators & scatter theory' under QED, also 'Greens function', 'wave functions' and how spatial coordinates tally in with everything. An arbitrary points x, x', x1 etc... It's all good.


    EMR15
    Look pal, I don't pretend to have mastered QED but I DID study Quantum Chemistry at Oxford and I can tell you that blathering on about "spatial coordinates" in the way you do makes absolutely no sense at all.

    ("too" in this context is spelt "to", by the way.)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,620
    From the same background and I "Like" the above post (damn button still not working) -- why do these dolts assume their pottering about around the arse end of the internet is a substitute for an education and it entitles them to assume they can "educate" others in an area they don't have the first idea about? Chalk another one up for Dunning and Kruger...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Professor Daecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    Remind me, what happens when an electron and a positron come into contact with each other?
    They are converted to two gamma-ray photons.
    So... does that mean the Incredible Hulk is a telepath? I guess that could explain why he's angry all the time. "Hulk think purple very flattering colour. Hulk not appreciate your critique of Hulk's fashion sense! Hulk SMASH!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    From the same background and I "Like" the above post (damn button still not working) -- why do these dolts assume their pottering about around the arse end of the internet is a substitute for an education and it entitles them to assume they can "educate" others in an area they don't have the first idea about? Chalk another one up for Dunning and Kruger...
    A touch of Walter Mitty, perhaps……….who knows? But I'm buggered if I'm going to let my credentials be called into question by some telephone engineer (or hairdresser, perhaps?) in Winchester, who thinks ability to copy out "spatial coordinates" is evidence of having understood QED - when he understands neither the difference between "to" and "too", nor between "nowhere" and "know where".

    Harrumph.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    5,620
    Did you mean "telephone sanitizer"? Is Winchester near Golgafrincham?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDemon View Post
    Did you mean "telephone sanitizer"? Is Winchester near Golgafrincham?
    Good point, possibly. In which case I suppose our friend Dywyddyr might be Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged*.



    * as a result, if I correctly recall, of an unfortunate accident involving a particle accelerator, a liquid lunch and two rubber bands.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •