Notices

View Poll Results: Should he join the forum

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    0 0%
  • No

    2 25.00%
  • Indifferent

    6 75.00%
Results 1 to 54 of 54

Thread: I have a Stalker

  1. #1 I have a Stalker 
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    I have a stalker. His name is ***. I know you're following my posts, *****. Show yourself, make a post, join already, in case you haven't already joined and posted under the disguise of one out of 21 other members that could possibly be you.

    It's Creepy...Doing what you do.


    Edit: The point is to spread awareness of and possibly coax a potential member to step into the scene. I support any rallying replies to this post.

    Edit: Name removed for reasons that shall remain undisclosed. I ask that a moderator take care to remove it from the poll and from quoted remarks. Thanks.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: I have a Stalker 
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDr.Spo
    I have a stalker. His name is ******. I know you're following my posts, ********. Show yourself, make a post, join already, in case you haven't already joined and posted under the disguise of one out of 21 other members that could possibly be you.

    It's Creepy...Doing what you do.


    Edit: The point is to spread awareness of and possibly coax a potential member to step into the scene. I support any rallying replies to this post.
    What makes him a stalker ? i.e. What is he doing ?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: I have a Stalker 
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDr.Spo
    I have a stalker. His name is **********. I know you're following my posts, *******. Show yourself, make a post, join already, in case you haven't already joined and posted under the disguise of one out of 21 other members that could possibly be you.

    It's Creepy...Doing what you do.


    Edit: The point is to spread awareness of and possibly coax a potential member to step into the scene. I support any rallying replies to this post.
    And, how exactly do you know he's followed you here? Do you personally know this person, or is he an online identity?
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    He is my roommate that seems to enjoy staying in the shadows of his room when he's not just absent from the apartment. It's rather depressing how he doesn't even acknowledge me anymore unless I make an effort to make contact. In fact, one morning, he came into the kitchen and made breakfast without even looking at me while I was sitting in the kitchen with the third roommate. As he went back upstairs to disappear into the dark, hazy abyss, I yelled, "Thanks for the 'Good Morning', see you later!" He came downstairs later and said to my other roommate, "I'm sorry, I was deep in thought," while I was gone at work. So, I never actually heard the apology. But, I digress for the sake of complaining to someone or something, even if it be cyberspace.

    In the weeks after I joined, I could sense him slowing his walking pace to a crawl and even stopping for a moment as he walked by me while I was on my computer. I could feel him looking over my shoulder as I wrote replies to posts on this forum. Probably, first, catching the essence of what was going on, me participating in an online forum, and then memorizing the URL to find the site for himself later.

    I was wary of the fact that he may have started reading my posts, but I neither did or said anything about it. Eventually, I forgot all about it because, after a little while, he stopped creeping behind me. Recently, I was informed by my other roommate that the person named here, Jomes, confided to her that he had been following my posts on this forum. She didn't really know about it at the time, I believe.

    Hence, maybe I should have used the more specific term, cyber-stalker. The lack of foresight on the possible interpretation of my post was a failure on my part. So, really, I have no direct evidence of the actions, but they are infuriating.

    I'm going to make this note again: ANY MODERATOR OR ADMIN READING THIS, REMOVE THE NAME AS I HAVE THROUGHOUT THE THREAD.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    Maybe non of my business but don't you think you're being a bit paranoid?
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Paranoid shmaranoid. I'm not paranoid. I know he's doing it and what I believe will happen at this point...has to remain a secret. The plan would be foiled otherwise.

    I'm experiencing a mix of Joy and Frustration.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Wow... Another item on the list of things in this world about which I couldn't give less of a shit.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    The era of egoism should come to an end. For those who wish to pursue a full understanding of the world they live in must look outside of themselves. Blindly taking interest in only that which concerns hard science and yourself is well beyond the notion of the term "limited" and gives rise to stubborn selfishness fueled by ill-begotten "logic and reasoning" skills. The 'everyday' of social experience and social interaction is nothing to be looked over and brushed aside by your dangerously inflated sense of self.

    From what I gather, most posters do not aim for promoting correct learning for misguided academics and the like. I do recognize the select few who provide that service and that service alone, but most are posting their ideas, their experiences and essentially their personalities as a form of self expression that they are comfortable with. You are no different, inow.

    Your asinine remark was wholly uncalled for and shows your narrow scope for what you deem relevant, important knowledge worth having. You require the opportunity to flex a defensive, compensatory muscle. What exactly it is for, anyone's guess is as good as mine, but I suggest you take a moment to find out for yourself. However, my psyche and Jomes's psyche are no more important than yours unless you believe otherwise. So, is your life-experience equally worthy of the public dismissal that you so generously handed to me? Do you think that you are worth the effort of forming speculation any more than I am or than Jomes is?

    I have provided you with valuable insight into the nature of human beings, ones no more fundamentally physically different than yourself. Yet, the revelation of your limited view of "worthy" knowledge makes some sense the laughable content you have provided elsewhere.

    Hard science is not by any stretch the only field worth learning about. There's an entire planet filled with billions of individuals outside of your personal bubble that are worth understanding in order to procure a more complete knowledge base that can be applied in more ways than your one-track mindset can possibly imagine.

    My rebuttal will affect no more than rolling eyes from you, I'm sure. I have been rather nice, I believe, in my response. For, more than the annoying anger I feel due to your unnecessary provision of insight into your choice to lead a life of ignorance, I feel pity. I feel deep, genuine pity.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    If you do not wish to participate or care for the content of this tread, do so. Instead, you decide to spend your time writing out an immature remark like that. As if you have something to prove. Tell me, what do you have to prove? Why is it important that you write that? I assure you that the core of the answer to this question will be too frightening of an exposure for you. And I admit that for this reason, I expect no sufficient reply, if you decide to come back and give one at all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Background thinking: I've read a number of your posts before reaching this thread. My impression was that you seemed reasonably knowledgeable and reasonably sensible, indeed a reasonable person overall. (As you know most people make judgements about people, or at the very least form impressions; I am no different.)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDr.Spo
    I have provided you with valuable insight into the nature of human beings, ones no more fundamentally physically different than yourself.
    No, you have not provided a valuable insight. You have provided a mundane example of the commonplace inability of humans to accept that the range of natural - and ultimately acceptable - behaviours is greater than they imagine.

    Your roomate, chosen apparently for economic not social reasons, happens to be either a) introverted, b) unattracted to your personality, or c) both. Since he acts accordingly you feel a need to invest his behaviour with sinisiter overtones. JennLonnhon was being diplomatic: you are being seriously paranoid.

    Even if your perception of reality were accurate, inow's observations of its triviality would be appropriate: I can assure you I witness behaviours of a more interesting and varied nature on a daily basis. Your belief - I am tempted to say delusion - that your situation contains something unusual that illuminates the human condition suggests you have a considerable amount of living to do. I recommend you get on with that living and throw your delusions aside.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    one more mundane observation : people fall out over the most trivial of things, and one of the parties involved may not even be aware that they've caused offence
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    But I have given something valuable, if not by my account of my roommate, by the implicit account of my own thinking, my own reactions to the 'mundane' of every day living. Calling attention to the point that I may be delusional is a bit drastic, I would say, yet should be inspiration. I harbor the sensitivity and compelling urge to look past the boring surface in order to understand in a deeper sense that which many would look over as mere trivialities. This, my friends, makes life exciting, lowering the threshold for what should be thought about vigorously. Even if the session lasts for a few seconds, the satisfaction of a conclusion, having learned something, is always worthwhile to me.

    However, if I were afflicted with a disease of paranoia (i.e. paranoid schizophrenia), thus turning my perception to an idea that my roommate is "out to get me", that's another issue. I, on the other hand, find it all rather exciting, especially in his case because I do deem him to be an enigma. You call the man an introvert and/or consider that he's simply ignoring me, which may be true, given that my conversational sarcasm can become overbearingly brutal without my realizing it, but I think there's something lying dormant that is not a mere personality trait or act of simple avoidance.

    Here is one element, a rather important one, that perplexes me at times and makes the essence of who he is elusive (to me). This man is quite literally a shell of a human being, comprised in an ostensible fashion of his immediate, closest friends and internet content. I understand that we are all susceptible to a certain degree to influence like this. Yet, not only does he copy mannerisms, phrases, habits and quirks from his friends, but he also mimics certain disease traits and genuinely believes that "this is who I am". For instance, he will, after realizing he hasn't eaten in 4 hours, start to act lethargic and speak in a very low, quiet tone. Slowly getting up to eat something, he mutters, "My blood sugar must be low." One might believe that maybe, just maybe, he's developing a form of diabetes or that he is a sufferer of hypoglycemia. I would not have been suspicious had I not known where he had been the weekend before the first instance of this behavior cropped up, seemingly out nowhere after knowing him for a couple years. The weekend before, he had been with a former good friend of mine in his hometown at his house. His father, a diabetic, being a busy man, sometimes suffers the exact same symptoms when he forgets to eat or does not have time to eat in order to keep his blood sugar at a proper level. The behavior persisted for several months, but it eventually fell off. This is either because he hasn't shown his face often enough to display it or he has since forgotten that he has an act to hold up.

    Also, content he reads on the internet about other people that sound...odd, to say the least, later become recitals in front of me and others, presenting them is if these things are descriptions of himself.

    For example, one night, while hanging out in my apartment, he read something aloud from the internet about how a certain person (I forgot who) does mental calculations by picturing a black void, watching numbers being hurled together and the answer emerging from an iridescent cloud of smoke in the center. "Sounds interesting," I thought, and then went back to doing my homework and forgot about it. A year later we're in my car, driving to a restaurant, and he (out of the blue) tells me about how he does mental calculations. The description was exactly the same, only he was accounting it as being of his own nature, insisting that he'd always done it that way. I understand that it's possible that this could be true, but since nothing is for certain. I have to ask, is it likely?

    This is only a very select view of what I see, but my explanation here, my observations, are not mere paranoia, but a desire to understand the mind of what seems to me to be a pathological liar, one who is able to actually fool himself to such a degree that he loses the essence of who he is without realizing it has happened. I contend that the select behaviors are selected from those he looks up to. The father of my former good friend is a brilliant doctor (a diabetic doctor, ironically), an innovative, well-spoken, highly intelligent man. The most of the other traits picked up are the stranger ones, or ones that are commonly perceived as indicative of a highly intelligent human being (i.e. excessive messiness, ignoring others with the excuse of being "lost in thought", ect.). Another important element I believe plays a part is his recreational weed habit. I saw him for a few days after he had been living at his mother's house for two months, weed free. He was entirely a unique person at that point, nothing at all like the suspicious facades that I have called attention to as well as the many I have not. That brief glimpse of the result of no drugs and isolation was proof for me.

    I admit, though, that I have been guilty of unnecessary paranoia. Sometimes I lose touch and believe that every car on the road is following me. Yet, I do not feel compelled to eliminate the followers, just run away. That's the general reaction, run away. The city doesn't want me around, run away. However, for now, sheer exhilaration and the willingness to share.

    inow's comment aims at nothing other than to rain on my enjoyment in posting about the subject that, although trivial and mundane to most, brings me relief. He has right to opinion but not to every action he may feel compelled to execute.

    My criticisms aside, yours were very welcome, besides that of inow's, especially its malicious nature.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    I would also like to note that I did not initiate this in some sort of specific section, the most appropriate for this probably being Behavior and Psychology. I posted this under General Discussion as a matter for just that. Ridicule on the basis that the topic, as I have presented it, is mundane and on the fact that I may come off as "seriously paranoid" is just out of line in my opinion. However, I do welcome the content of your (excluding inow) posts otherwise.

    Anyway, enough with the angry overtones.

    Thoughts?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDr.Spo
    He is my roommate that seems to enjoy staying in the shadows of his room when he's not just absent from the apartment. It's rather depressing how he doesn't even acknowledge me anymore unless I make an effort to make contact. In fact, one morning, he came into the kitchen and made breakfast without even looking at me while I was sitting in the kitchen with the third roommate. As he went back upstairs to disappear into the dark, hazy abyss, I yelled, "Thanks for the 'Good Morning', see you later!" He came downstairs later and said to my other roommate, "I'm sorry, I was deep in thought," while I was gone at work. So, I never actually heard the apology. But, I digress for the sake of complaining to someone or something, even if it be cyberspace.

    In the weeks after I joined, I could sense him slowing his walking pace to a crawl and even stopping for a moment as he walked by me while I was on my computer. I could feel him looking over my shoulder as I wrote replies to posts on this forum. Probably, first, catching the essence of what was going on, me participating in an online forum, and then memorizing the URL to find the site for himself later.

    I was wary of the fact that he may have started reading my posts, but I neither did or said anything about it. Eventually, I forgot all about it because, after a little while, he stopped creeping behind me. Recently, I was informed by my other roommate that the person named here, Jomes, confided to her that he had been following my posts on this forum. She didn't really know about it at the time, I believe.

    Hence, maybe I should have used the more specific term, cyber-stalker. The lack of foresight on the possible interpretation of my post was a failure on my part. So, really, I have no direct evidence of the actions, but they are infuriating.

    I'm going to make this note again: ANY MODERATOR OR ADMIN READING THIS, REMOVE THE NAME AS I HAVE THROUGHOUT THE THREAD.
    You don't have a stalker. What you may have is a creepy roommate. Get a different one.

    This is not a forum problem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Problem? So negative.

    This aimed to give an opportunity for open speculation rather than debate. There's no sense in sabotaging the fun.

    Creepy? Yes
    Get a New One? It'll happen in due time.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDr.Spo
    You are no different, inow.

    Your asinine remark was wholly uncalled for and shows your narrow scope for what you deem relevant, important knowledge worth having.
    Please, my good man... Do kindly tell why your paranoia about your roomate reading your forum posts online... yet choosing not to create an account for himself so he can reply... qualifies as "important knowledge worth having," or even more simply how it even begins to qualify as "relevant."

    When done, perhaps you'd be so good as to explain to all of us fair readers why my not giving a rat's ass about you and your roomate and your mundane ridiculousness qualifies me as ipso facto having a "narrow scope."

    The mind just boggles.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    I've always wanted a stalker, but not an ugly one... oh the fantasies.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    The Dr.Spo, the problem is that you seem to feel this guy's behaviour is unusual and therefore worthy of understanding and study not only by yourself, but by the forum members. You believe his behaviour is so strange that we should be intrigued and fascinated by the potential it offers for us to gain a deeper understanding of human nature.

    This simply is not the case. His behaviour, as you have described it, is commonplace. I can think - with no effort - of dozens of individuals I have known who have displayed most or all of the characteristics you describe. Since that is the case, why should I take any interest in your particular example? It adds nothing to my knowledge of humanity. It offers nothing novel. Indeed, if I were to take an interest in him it would reflect a rather narrow minded attitude to life on my part, an attitude that required me to revisit the commonplace as thought it were new.

    inow communicated exactly that point in his post. His post certainly did not strike me as malicious, but as a vigorous shock tactic designed to get you to recognise how ruddy boring your story was to anyone else and how silly it was to invest it with importance as a means to reveal valuable thinking about human behaviour.

    From your perspective, since you come into routine contact with this person, it is of considerable interest. For the rest of us it is no more or less interesting than the 100 billion or more interactions occuring on the planet every day.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,302
    So far this thread is on it's second page, although there hasn't been a lot of dialectic dealing directly with the Doc's loser roommate. My point is that Iv'e just got some practice in my typing and written communication skill's, like the rest ya'll.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    His post certainly did not strike me as malicious, but as a vigorous shock tactic designed to get you to recognise how ruddy boring your story was to anyone else and how silly it was to invest it with importance as a means to reveal valuable thinking about human behaviour.
    You're quite a good writer, and it feels nice to be understood. Thanks, man. I raise a reposado in your direction.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Ah, to be one in the above again.

    I find strict annoyance and ill-will has poisoned the whole spirit of the thread. Perhaps he should not have "been my roommate" as far as the thread in concerned. The matter becomes more impersonal, something of observation rather than a result of frequent encounter. Admittedly, I was struck before he became my roommate.

    To another point: To understand even the most "ruddy boring" things, like the mind of another nearly ordinary individual, gives one the feeling of godliness, of omnipotence. It gives one the power to predict behavior, to manipulate and control. The act of "reading" a person's mind to themselves turns out to be quite an impressive party trick, yet it leads to aversion, naturally. It's simply exhilarating being a puppet master. I have sinse calmed down, but breaking up relationships from the shadows and again creating them anew was like a sport to me. Although, I don't want to give away too much, as I am likely being watched.

    My goal for the above was to reveal my motives and give some insight to why I feel the matter's importance.

    Now, I recognize the pointlessness in carrying on the original topic further. I do not blame anyone, I guess, for being bored by the topic. Yet, I still contend that one should not use scare tactics; although, I hardly doubt it was designed for that purpose, or any purpose that wasn't directed toward feeding his own ego for that matter. I had not put forth any notion of the matter being of importance before inow's remark. inow was on power trip at a keyboard. He had the opportunity to insult a matter and its author on grounds of triviality and he took it. I do not ask inow to care for the content of my posts, nor do I ask you to do the same, Ophiolite. If the content has no potential for you, then so be it, move on. inow displayed flat out refusal to learn and a claim that he doesn't care in the slightest.

    Give me one satisfactory reason that inow is justified to make a comment such as the one that he made instead of moving on to contribute nothing.

    In this case and cases like it, silence is a greater call to the lack of importance than is a nasty comment.

    Ophiolite, I have more respect for your manner of criticism than inow's. However, defending inow for making the remark he made is supporting inow's immaturity, appearing to be not so much in favor of defending inow as much it appears to just be taking a side against me and my ridiculous thread.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northumbria UK
    Posts
    1,043
    TheDr.Spo, Your post is interesting, but says nothing unique about behavioural issues. You are bound to experience incoming, from those that consider your OP as mere trivia, just roll with the punches.
    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wilson
    TheDr.Spo, Your post is interesting, but says nothing unique about behavioural issues. You are bound to experience incoming, from those that consider your OP as mere trivia, just roll with the punches.
    Oh, roll I will. Roll I will. I take no real personal offense. I am simply annoyed by what kind of behavior inow's comment stands for and the prejudice that forms in the favor of inow's attitude. It usually happens in threads that originate in the Physics section and inevitably get moved to the Pseudoscience section. Someone makes a totally outlandish remark concerning some idea they have that accepted theory is wrong or deeply flawed. Someone calls his reasoning ridiculous and attacks him to no end. I take no care to point out the unnecessary remarks some make. I fall victim to making the usual ad hominem attacks myself. This thread was not deserving of such an attack, at least not at the stage it was in. inow felt the need to insult, not to viciously correct.

    I find the essence of it annoying, and this is my chance to point it out because inow could not have provided a more prime example of one utilizing the forum for an ego boost and a vent for personal frustration rather than utilizing it as an attempt to be somewhat of a useful human being.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDr.Spo
    Ophiolite, I have more respect for your manner of criticism than inow's. However, defending inow for making the remark he made is supporting inow's immaturity, appearing to be not so much in favor of defending inow as much it appears to just be taking a side against me and my ridiculous thread.
    Please select the response you find most pleasing:
    1. Frigging well grow up.
    2. There is a dark side to your posts. That may reflect a warped sense of humour, but I fear it suggests a mental aberration. ( To understand even the most "ruddy boring" things, like the mind of another nearly ordinary individual, gives one the feeling of godliness, of omnipotence. It gives one the power to predict behavior, to manipulate and control.) That is seriously scary stuff. If you really mean that then you need help. Will you consider seeking professional advice? I encourage you to do so.
    3. I have correctly identified inow's motives. If you had the open mindedness you claim you have and that others allegedly lack you would be able to see this is true.
    4. I doubt your mind can be opened - I'm removing myself from the discussion arena.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Well, as much as I would like to give inow the credit for such "design" behind his post, I simply can't bring myself to believe it. The timing and tone were all wrong. People are more naturally selfish than altruistic.

    I do claim to be capable of the understanding I described when I'm given face-time. A forum leaves a lot of information absent, which makes an understanding of its posters very difficult to truly achieve. It's also difficult to reveal the true motives behind a statement. One's look of surprise and embarrassment as a reflex emotional response revealed, for example, by facial expressions is completely hidden from me. The poster has time to regain composure and become defensive, but this appears in no obvious manner in a poster's response. There's no effective way to break this defense in this setting other than to spur on an introspective moment and encourage self-honesty.

    Item two is my first choice. I've been diagnosed with mood disorders and put on medications in the past. I haven't liked any completely thus far. The last one, Depakote, was the best yet, but I discovered that its sedative effects were messing with me in a negative way. I stopped taking them about a month ago, which, thinking about it now, may be why this previously known "knowledgeable and sensible" being has suddenly taken a turn in...this direction. Thus, I deem the response the most accurate. Yet, unfortunately, and I do not blame you for this, I was hoping for something that had nothing to do with me.

    Number one is my second favorite. I agree to that. There's always some growing-up to be had.

    I do not like options three and four. Three because... well I already explained myself there. I dislike four because of the reason you are removing yourself rather than the simple fact that you are doing so. You doubt the openness of my mind. I have accepted the fact that I may sound a bit odd, although not paranoid, and that some find this topic a mundane one. It has been up to those other than myself to take the time to consider some of the value of my rantings. Being in your position, it may be difficult or entirely impossible for you now. However, even if you still disagree but recognize that you could be suffering from clouded judgment, I'll be happy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by i_feel_tiredsleepy
    I've always wanted a stalker, but not an ugly one... oh the fantasies.
    You know... That's a truly creepy fantasy...
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Hahaha, I forgot about that one.

    I must ask, does the fantasy entail the attractive stalker coming through your window in the middle of the night and sliding into bed with you?

    That's my best guess at least.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    the sad part is, if you actually reviewed some of inow's posts, and were as capable of reading personalities through posting style as you have implied in your initial post, you'd be able to grasp the "tone of post" he had when he wrote that message. I'm in full agreement with both inow and ophi, this is simple paranoia and exists wholly in your life, not so much in any of ours. Hell, I don't even care when some people I interact with on a daily basis are outright rude to me. He's no more that an acquaintance, and shouldn't be given more thought than that. There's no reason to obsess over an introverted, possibly stalkerish, room mate. He's no threat to you, otherwise you'd feel threatened.

    And, if he is following you online, reading your posts, and obsessing over you, why care? It's his choice to be a creepy stalker type of person, and he picks you to obsess over, but isn't going to harm you in anyway, so why dedicate so much energy into him? I say just ignore him as he ignores you, and allow him to do what ever he wants without any recourse from you, save for if what he is doing is detrimental to your health. The forumites here can't do anything, and tend towards the same opinions as inow, myself, ophi, the bear, etc.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,302
    I find it strange that a post that has been accused of being insignificant and boring has gotten so much traffic. So for all those who chose to reply to a thing they couldn't be bothered to give a squat for; .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Although, I do not claim to attain a full read by posting. I, too, recognize his initial tone. What my concern with tone deals with are the responses that have to explain the initial response. "Oh, no, it was entirely thought out and planned as a shock tactic to jog you into realizing that the topic is boring." That, my friend, is total nonsense, tone aside. Do you honestly believe that? I do not, yet most take those words for their face value.

    There are plenty of equally "boring" threads that even inow responds to in a constructive manner, sometimes a little on the harsh side but constructive. Mine was both boring and a little crazy-sounding. I have been accused of paranoia. Those remarks did not entice me to write out long posts in refute. It was the undue harshness, devoid of constructive criticism or advice, that caused my responses. I appreciate the "don't obsess, move on, you're simply paranoid" remarks, because even though I don't come to full agreement with them, they are not hateful. Agree with, in part, ophiolite. Agree with DrRocket and others, but I contend that you and others are nurturing a major negative element that exists in this forum.

    Edit: I did not mean to imply by the final statements in the above paragraph that the ones mentioned are the ones nurturing the behavior.

    There exists a desire, in the confines of this forum at least, to be able to say "I am the smartest. I am the best. I am the most logical." It's a classical alpha male syndrome that should not be tolerated because it has a large, destructive impact on topics that hold some relevance to, at the very least, a select few. I only continue to put energy forth in responding now because I'm finding out that you all actually defend this behavior. That, Arcane, is the sad part.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil
    I find it strange that a post that has been accused of being insignificant and boring has gotten so much traffic. So for all those who chose to reply to a thing they couldn't be bothered to give a squat for; .
    Haha, good point. Although, the reason they respond, as well as myself, is not due in large part to the original topic anymore. It is now due to my outrage, and rightfully so, I believe.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Oh, for the love of Thor. Sticks and stones, dude. Let's move on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    Oh, for the love of Thor. Sticks and stones, dude. Let's move on.
    Point taken and I wholly agree. I have put forth my point. I'll do well to never open this thread again!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,302
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    Oh, for the love of Thor. Sticks and stones, dude. Let's move on.
    Wow... Another item on the list of things in this world about which I couldn't give less of a shit.
    Really, if this is your true opinion, then why have you bothered to post in this thread at all? Do you have some kind of personal stake in this?
    This is after all the "General Discussion" subforum, if a thread should degenerate into say, fart joke's, it's not against any rules. I've seen it happen before and no one ever responded with an offended indifference. Really, what's up?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Although I just broke my own rule, I must agree with GiantEvil. He reiterated an important point that I made before.

    There are equally personal threads that deal with that which does not concern us, that which is not "our problem". For example, one that I alluded to before, you, inow, gave harsh yet constructive advice to gottspieler over a personal matter concerning him and a brief contact with a girl he met at a gym. Under your criteria, the subject is equally worth ignoring and putting on your list of things in this world about which you couldn't give less of a shit. What happened to the vicious remark you seemingly should have harbored for the thread? Is it not equally deserving? Perhaps, you do not care for talk of roommates but discussing brief encounters of perceived love is okay. Both, when they are not threads of your own authorship, should apply equally as "not your problem" and by that line of thinking, boring and commonplace.

    You have been called out by another, now. It is not only me who desires to reveal your true intent. You have already attempted to let Ophiolite speak falsely for you, an explanation that elevated you and thus encouraged you to accept it as fact.

    Speak, inow, for yourself, unless you wish to continue to hide behind feeble arrogance.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    there is a difference between replying to content of a post, and sending a public message to the op. the difference is what is addressed, and in what manner, in the post. inow didn't reply to the topic at hand, but commented on it, as others have. You're failure to grasp that is of no consequence to any of the posters in the thread. That's just simple truth of the matter, and no "calling out" will change that.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,245
    I think I can safely say that inow is profoundly sorry for posting that comment. Not because it was wrong, but because of the unbelievably prolonged and exaggerated brouhaha that it has caused. Really man, let it go already.

    Could the guy be avoiding you because of your tendency to overreact to the smallest things? Unbelievable.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDr.Spo
    Hahaha, I forgot about that one.

    I must ask, does the fantasy entail the attractive stalker coming through your window in the middle of the night and sliding into bed with you?

    That's my best guess at least.
    It involves a children's riding horse, whip cream, a ball-gag, and satin sheets. There's probably a bed in there too.

    I also imagine that "Cat like tread" from Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance would be playing in the background.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Well, bottom line is that inow and the attitude he had was ridiculous. I do not claim that I am not equally ridiculous. Also, letting it go is no fun!

    Anyway, I believe you may be a bit accurate on the point that it's my personality that he avoids. Although, my curiosity lies in the lack of individuality of this guy, his total unawareness of how mind-blowingingly easy it is to influence him so strongly as to cause him to make himself into a direct copy of who he's with. To give an idea of the degree to which this happens. I've seen influences implant themselves in minutes. Hanging out with him will turn into a social "Simon Says" game, if you pay attention. I understand that people do this to a lesser degree to fit into new groups but...it seems rather extreme to me. Also, even when I do it to a lesser degree, like mimicking an accent or speech pattern, I catch myself doing it, knowing full and well that I was mimicking another. But, this gentleman really seems to genuinely fool himself into believing "this is me" if not evident by admission of the belief, by the fact that the change is lasting.

    What would cause this?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by i_feel_tiredsleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDr.Spo
    Hahaha, I forgot about that one.

    I must ask, does the fantasy entail the attractive stalker coming through your window in the middle of the night and sliding into bed with you?

    That's my best guess at least.
    It involves a children's riding horse, whip cream, a ball-gag, and satin sheets. There's probably a bed in there too.

    I also imagine that "Cat like tread" from Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance would be playing in the background.
    That is quite unique. So much so that I'm inclined to believe you're just saying whatever comes to mind and compiling it into a somewhat coherent fantasy. Even if that be the case, it's hilarious to think about, Hahaha.

    I can't say I hold any fantasies that don't involve my girlfriend. Rather sad, rather lame. I know, I know.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by i_feel_tiredsleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDr.Spo
    Hahaha, I forgot about that one.

    I must ask, does the fantasy entail the attractive stalker coming through your window in the middle of the night and sliding into bed with you?

    That's my best guess at least.
    It involves a children's riding horse, whip cream, a ball-gag, and satin sheets. There's probably a bed in there too.

    I also imagine that "Cat like tread" from Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance would be playing in the background.
    The Horse scares me ifts...
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    The Horse scares me ifts...
    I like to think the Gilbert and Sullivan says I'm classy, while the horse says I like to have fun.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,302
    Go big, mechanical bull. I see the toy horse leading to splinters.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    I see the mechanical bull leading to a broken neck or spine, possibly a lot worse. If you're going to go THAT big, I suggest that you ditch the mechanical bull and go for a real one, and make sure that you wear red satin. That would be quite a session. Try not to get gored in the throat though (pun intended if you're female, gay, or letting a female use a strap-on, the option which is indiscriminate toward your gender).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,302
    I didn't say "Turn it all the way up!". I don't really need to explain matters of degree do I?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Why not turn it all the way up? It would be a hell of a way to go out.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDr.Spo
    Why not turn it all the way up? It would be a hell of a way to go out.
    May I just say (no offence) you can e seriously creepy
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Uh oh, looks like someone may be trying to take away my creepiest forum member crown.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,245
    Quote Originally Posted by i_feel_tiredsleepy
    Uh oh, looks like someone may be trying to take away my creepiest forum member crown.
    You're creepy?
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard i_feel_tiredsleepy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    You're creepy?
    See my previous post in this thread about stalker fantasies, lol.
    "I almost went to bed
    without remembering
    the four white violets
    I put in the button-hole
    of your green sweater

    and how i kissed you then
    and you kissed me
    shy as though I'd
    never been your lover "
    - Leonard Cohen
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    you call that creepy ? amateur !
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    Hahah, shall we make a competition?
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Oh please don't...
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  55. #54  
    Forum Junior TheDr.Spo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    208
    Hahaha, apparently, I'm already creepy. Based on the posts thus far, shall we have a vote? Let's name some candidates!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •