Notices
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Engineering or Medicine ?

  1. #1 Engineering or Medicine ? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    37
    Hi guys. I'm trying to decide whether to choose engineering or medicine as my field to get into. I know these two fields are completely different but I both equally enjoy them. I'm wondering if you guys can help me out. How is the income for both of them? How are the job oppurtunities for the future? Etc. I'd really like to have some insight on which field I should choose. BTW I live in Ontario, Canada if that helps.

    Thanks.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Any idea as to what field of engineering or medicine you might be interested in?


    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    Any idea as to what field of engineering or medicine you might be interested in?
    Medicine: Not entirely sure about that, but I would like it to be in an area of surgery.

    Engineering: I haven't looked into it in depth, but I like the idea of aerospace engineering / space engineering. Still though I am not entirely sure.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by medicine12
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    Any idea as to what field of engineering or medicine you might be interested in?
    Medicine: Not entirely sure about that, but I would like it to be in an area of surgery.

    Engineering: I haven't looked into it in depth, but I like the idea of aerospace engineering / space engineering. Still though I am not entirely sure.
    How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

    Sorry, just wanted to help you be more specific so somebody who might actually know can have more to go on. I would think though that the more specialized and rare (sought after) your field of expertise becomes, the more you'll make.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    37
    Don't mind at all, I'm 16 (late bday). I'm going to have to choose my courses for grade 12 next year and I want to choose courses applying to what field I want to do.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    25
    My advice, get a job at a hospital or nursing home. See if you like it before making any major decisions. I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but they don't let people under 18 do much other than dietary in hospitals in the US. If you go the nursing home route, you can probably be an aide of some kind. They can't hire enough people it seems.

    Before making any major commitment, I'd try it out a little bit. Truly though, you're young. You can just take some prerequisite courses your first year or two, things you'll need for either career. Even if you do it now and don't like it, give it another shot later. You'll be surprised how much your attitude can change in a few years.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by medicine12
    Don't mind at all, I'm 16 (late bday). I'm going to have to choose my courses for grade 12 next year and I want to choose courses applying to what field I want to do.
    At the high school level just take all the math and science available -- that applies to either path.

    Have you considered biomedical engineering ? I know of programs that result in both a Ph.D. in biomedical engineering and (simultaneously) an M.D. That would let you pursue both interests.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    37
    Dunce: That's true. I guess I'll wait it out until grade 12, next year, and truly see what I'm most passionate about.

    Dr.Rocket: How would one get a Ph.D. and an M.D. simultaneously? Would I have to do engineering in my undergrad with some bio? Then go into med school? Sorry just slightly confused about it. But the idea sounds awesome.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by medicine12
    Dr.Rocket: How would one get a Ph.D. and an M.D. simultaneously? Would I have to do engineering in my undergrad with some bio? Then go into med school? Sorry just slightly confused about it. But the idea sounds awesome.
    You would normally get a B.S. in biomedical engineering and then enter a graduate program that results in both a Ph.D. in biomedical engineering and an M.D. Some schools have such programs.

    Here is one such program. It is excellent. http://medicine.utah.edu/mdphd/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    37
    How about engineering and then after getting a MBA. What are the possible benefits of that? I know there is an increase in salary, do you become a CEO of a company? Kind of curious about this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by medicine12
    How about engineering and then after getting a MBA. What are the possible benefits of that? I know there is an increase in salary, do you become a CEO of a company? Kind of curious about this.
    You can if you wish. But my nexperience is that the MBA degree ina technology-focused company is not a big discriminator. What happens is that people with executive management potential are given that sort of training, but having the MBA does not materially contribute to being selected. Becoming CEO involves at least as much politics as ability. I have seen much more capable and deserving candidates passed over for lesser people with better connections.

    There is not necessarily any increase in salary.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    37
    So gettig a MBA is pretty much a risky move? Hmm, this is a tough decision. I guess I'm just going to wait it out until next year, and then actually put some real thought into it. I know I want to do something in an area of science/mathematics.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by medicine12
    So gettig a MBA is pretty much a risky move? Hmm, this is a tough decision. I guess I'm just going to wait it out until next year, and then actually put some real thought into it. I know I want to do something in an area of science/mathematics.
    I did not say it is risky. I said it is no guarantee of success in management.

    Note that engineering is neither science nor mathematics.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    37
    Sorry I worded it wrong. But what is engineering exactly then?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by medicine12
    Sorry I worded it wrong. But what is engineering exactly then?
    Engineers design things and get them made -- usually with schedule and budget constraints. They have to do this in the real world , which means dealing with complex systems rhat may not be completely understood and perfectly modeled. So there nis some uncertainty that must be considered.

    Engineers use tools developed by scientists and mathematicians, but have different ultimate objectives.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    37
    But I meant they use some science/mathematics, am I right? Ehehe, sorry for the bad wording. Thanks for the help on everything.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by medicine12
    But I meant they use some science/mathematics, am I right? Ehehe, sorry for the bad wording. Thanks for the help on everything.
    Yes. Engineering is more about using the tools to get the job done without necessarily understanding how the tools work. This is at least what I gather from talking to a couple engineers about mathematical work and from the introductory course work and books in 'physics for engineering' at the jc I attended.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    . DrRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    Engineering is more about using the tools to get the job done without necessarily understanding how the tools work.
    Unfortunately this is quite often the attitude of (bad) engineering students. They later become bad engineers,

    In reality, engineering is more about using tools, and science and mathematics are more about developing tools.

    Engineers who use tools that they don't understand are not uncommon, but they need to be closely supervised by people who do understand.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •