Notices
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Just a theory

  1. #1 Just a theory 
    Forum Freshman quasistatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    50
    Check this out. Gravity is God!
    Wondering if this should go into scientific study of religion as well?

    http://www.vindadravid.com/science/gravity-amen/


    "Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
    God said, 'Let Newton be!' and all was light."
    -A. Pope
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    You can describe anything as god, because god is a subjective term.

    Paint, for instance - with paint, anything can be created; there are no limits on what you can and cannot paint, and things can be painted that are beyond your comprehension and imagination. There can be vast, even infinite, quantities of hidden knowledge in a painting, and there are very many paintings..... See what I mean?

    Edit: suggest moving to general discussions?


    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman quasistatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    50
    but gravity is more....universal. It plays a pivotal role in the creation/destruction/balance of universe. Paint does not...!
    "Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
    God said, 'Let Newton be!' and all was light."
    -A. Pope
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman quasistatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    50
    YOu can say God is the painter...not the paint himself!
    "Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
    God said, 'Let Newton be!' and all was light."
    -A. Pope
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    sox
    sox is offline
    Forum Masters Degree sox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Uk - Scotland
    Posts
    598
    It should go in general discussion. It should not be in the physics forum or the religion forum, as the notion of gravity being god is neither scientific, nor religious.

    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "Happy is the man who can recognise in the work of To-day a connected portion of the work of life, and an embodiment of the work of Eternity. The foundations of his confidence are unchangeable, for he has been made a partaker of Infinity." - James Clerk Maxwell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman quasistatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    50
    aye cap'n
    "Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
    God said, 'Let Newton be!' and all was light."
    -A. Pope
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    sox
    sox is offline
    Forum Masters Degree sox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Uk - Scotland
    Posts
    598
    hmmmmm

    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "Happy is the man who can recognise in the work of To-day a connected portion of the work of life, and an embodiment of the work of Eternity. The foundations of his confidence are unchangeable, for he has been made a partaker of Infinity." - James Clerk Maxwell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by quasistatic
    but gravity is more....universal. It plays a pivotal role in the creation/destruction/balance of universe. Paint does not...!
    Everything in the universe plays a role in the 'balance' of the universe. Why make gravity god but not electromagnetism, or the nuclear forces? In fact, surely everything should be god, because everything influences everything else through these forces.

    And what kind of universe has no paint? :P
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman quasistatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    50
    God is but a name! Its what we believe is God, right? After all, God originated in the mind of man.
    "Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
    God said, 'Let Newton be!' and all was light."
    -A. Pope
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by sox
    It should go in general discussion. It should not be in the physics forum or the religion forum, as the notion of gravity being god is neither scientific, nor religious.
    But it is a weighty matter, which would make it physics.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Ph.D. Leszek Luchowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gliwice, Poland
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by quasistatic
    After all, God originated in the mind of man.
    Did gravity?
    Leszek. Pronounced [LEH-sheck]. The wondering Slav.
    History teaches us that we don't learn from history.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by quasistatic
    but gravity is more....universal. It plays a pivotal role in the creation/destruction/balance of universe. Paint does not...!
    prove that gravity is universal.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman quasistatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    50
    @spuriousmonkey It applies/affect/manipulates all matter and energy in this universe! Hence universal.

    @Leszek Luchowski: Gravity is but a name! To a force that exists in the Universe. The "idea" of such a force was not made up by man, merely discovered.
    "Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
    God said, 'Let Newton be!' and all was light."
    -A. Pope
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    paint is universal
    and so is universal paint remover
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by quasistatic
    @spuriousmonkey It applies/affect/manipulates all matter and energy in this universe! Hence universal.
    prove it that it does.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman quasistatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    50
    Try to jump from 20th floor...you'll know!

    Or just refer to any high school physics books. This fact is taken for granted since it has already been proven.
    "Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
    God said, 'Let Newton be!' and all was light."
    -A. Pope
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    you've missed the point, and are thinking far to short scale. Prove that everything is affected by gravity. it's more expansive a concept than you think, and one that is not to be taken lightly, as you have, even without knowing it. It's simple ignorance at this point to the laws of physics, but your lack of understanding can be remedied through rigorous learning and education on the topic.

    The universality of gravity and the idea that it affects absolutely everything is far from proven.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Freshman quasistatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    50
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/The_Two_illusions_-_gravity_and_god._Illusion_to_elude_man's_comprehe nsion._Why_is_science_any_more_likely_to_be_correc t_than_one's_scripture


    http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/...ephen-hawking/


    Check both the links out!
    "Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
    God said, 'Let Newton be!' and all was light."
    -A. Pope
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by quasistatic
    Try to jump from 20th floor...you'll know!

    Or just refer to any high school physics books. This fact is taken for granted since it has already been proven.
    No it isn't proven. You can't prove something like that.

    It's like proving there aren't pink elephants.

    Jumping from the 20th floor won't prove anything. That would just be one locality. Universal isn't local.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Freshman quasistatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    50
    So are you saying that gravity doesn't affect all matter?
    "Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
    God said, 'Let Newton be!' and all was light."
    -A. Pope
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    we're saying you can't prove gravity affects all that exists in this universe. It does affect all 'matter' by definition, and if the universe is consistent no matter where you are within it spatially, then yes, all matter most certainly is affected by matter, but that doesn't prove potential existential particles that are not matter are affected by gravity. there are two matters there you have to definitively prove before your initial assertion can even have the merit to come under scrutiny. one must prove both universal consistency and prove everything, not just matter and energy, are affected by matter. If even one thing in existence isn't affected, or there is one tiny spot in the universe that is inconsistent with the rest, then the entire idea of universality breaks down. Do you understand?

    Plus, those links are complete non sequitur that have nothing to do with the matter at hand. Universality has nothing to do with the personal opinion of Hawking on god or the perceived relation between science and religion. don't just post links and tell us to check them out, next time tell us the content, or at least a summary of the content of the links you provide, to keep the conversation here and leave all of the engaging to be done on this forum instead of elsewhere. I don't want to see other peoples blogs or news articles that you think are nice and "on topic", I want to see your thoughts and your words on the subject at hand, and use links only when they help your point, not to make up whatever it was you were trying to tell me.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Freshman quasistatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    50
    The sole reason that I have nothing to say of my own is that, your question was not...logical. What do you mean by things other than matter an energy...
    antimatter? Is it proven that it isn't affected by gravity.
    I relied on the basic assumption made by Newton ages ago that Gravity does indeed affect everything. And I didn't even care to find out if it indeed does or doesn't because it is, simply, such a fundamental fact. So what you are trying to discuss here, is not entirely clear to me.
    "Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
    God said, 'Let Newton be!' and all was light."
    -A. Pope
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    Did you already guess why I asked you to prove the universal existence of gravity?
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by quasistatic
    The sole reason that I have nothing to say of my own is that, your question was not...logical. What do you mean by things other than matter an energy...
    antimatter? Is it proven that it isn't affected by gravity.
    I relied on the basic assumption made by Newton ages ago that Gravity does indeed affect everything. And I didn't even care to find out if it indeed does or doesn't because it is, simply, such a fundamental fact. So what you are trying to discuss here, is not entirely clear to me.
    What they are trying to get at is that in science we genrally cannot prove anything, only disprove. It seems, based upon our observations to date, that gravity affects all matter, but we do not know if this is, has benn and will be the case in all instances, times and locations. So your statement that it has 'already been proven' is a false one.

    I forget who made the remark (probably when speaking of evolution) that some theories are so well established that to withold acceptance would be perverse, but that - perhaps - applies to gravity.

    Hope that helps.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Freshman doomsday2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    24
    But if gravity is god then life is the god of gods and the evolution of life is the supreme god. Isn't it intriguing that non-living things may be made out of the same elements as us, but we live and they do not.
    If all the Bees were gone, humans would be gone within 4 years.
    Albert Einstien
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophiolite
    I forget who made the remark (probably when speaking of evolution) that some theories are so well established that to withold acceptance would be perverse, but that - perhaps - applies to gravity.

    Hope that helps.
    Maybe this is applicable to the effects of gravity, but does anyone really know what is behind gravity. I was under the impression that this matter is far from solved.

    Compare that to the fact of the diversity of life. That's a similar fact. It's the result of some process. People used to think it was creation. Then evolution. Then modification of the the theory of evolution. In this sense we might be a lot further with explaining the diversity if life, than explaining gravity.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •