Notices
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Biggest threat?

  1. #1 Biggest threat? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    97
    What do you think is the biggest threat to humankind globally?

    Not necessarily through extinction, that would require something really dramatic. But more like a drastic decline in life expectancy all over the world.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    JX
    JX is offline
    Forum Junior JX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    288
    We survived Swine Flu and Bird Flu, so I'm guessing it's not some sort of mutated virus pandemic. I would vote for any sort of nuclear war.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by JX
    We survived Swine Flu and Bird Flu, so I'm guessing it's not some sort of mutated virus pandemic. I would vote for any sort of nuclear war.
    I vote some form of virus or bacteria. Those little buggers have wiped out more humans than anything else.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    JX
    JX is offline
    Forum Junior JX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    288
    True, but we're becoming increasingly good at minimizing the damage; of course, maybe if it was used as a bioengineered weapon that gets out of control.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,699
    I'm going to go with stupid drivers
    Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D. Heinsbergrelatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994
    What do you think is the biggest threat to humankind globally?
    us, humans.
    ------------------




    "Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders."- Carl Friedrich Gauss


    -------------------
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinsbergrelatz
    What do you think is the biggest threat to humankind globally?
    us, humans.
    Seconded
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinsbergrelatz
    What do you think is the biggest threat to humankind globally?
    us, humans.
    Seconded
    i think that however it happens, this is the most likely. either through nuclear war or a biological weapon(which, with our new ability to create bacteria with DNA that we write on a computer, and produce whaterver enzymes we have the code for, are going to become increasingly deadly), or through mass starvation thanks to capitalism granting control of over half the world's resources to 1% of the population, any means that the human race is likely to encounter that could drastically harm us is likely to be our own doing.
    physics: accurate, objective, boring
    chemistry: accurate if physics is accurate, slightly subjective, you can blow stuff up
    biology: accurate if chemistry is accurate, somewhat subjective, fascinating
    religion: accurate if people are always right, highly subjective, bewildering
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    97
    Saying that we are the biggest threat to mankind is kind of cheating, a bit too unspecific so to say. Covers pretty much everything save for asteroids, our planet being scorched by the sun or earth being destroyed by vogons to make place for an intergalactic hyperway.

    Quote Originally Posted by JX
    True, but we're becoming increasingly good at minimizing the damage; of course, maybe if it was used as a bioengineered weapon that gets out of control.
    Sure, we are becoming increasingly good at decreasing the damage caused by bacteria. However, those little buggers can adapt pretty fast too. If for example resistance to antibiotics were to spread globally on a large scale then what is now considered a "simple surgery" would be far from simple again. We'd be set back a few hundred years in medicine.[/quote]
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by jakotaco
    Saying that we are the biggest threat to mankind is kind of cheating, a bit too unspecific so to say. Covers pretty much everything save for asteroids, our planet being scorched by the sun or earth being destroyed by vogons to make place for an intergalactic hyperway.
    Hey, it's not for a "hyperway". That would be unethical. It's clearly for a hyperspace bypass.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Mathematician
    Quote Originally Posted by jakotaco
    Saying that we are the biggest threat to mankind is kind of cheating, a bit too unspecific so to say. Covers pretty much everything save for asteroids, our planet being scorched by the sun or earth being destroyed by vogons to make place for an intergalactic hyperway.
    Hey, it's not for a "hyperway". That would be unethical. It's clearly for a hyperspace bypass.
    You have passed the test. :wink:

    Now I sense a risk of this thread going off topic, so it's time to go back to what could possibly stop mankind from being able to sit down and watch the universe end while having a nice meal?

    So far we've got weapons of mass destruction, disease, famine and drunk drivers (?!) as possible threats to mankind. It's a scary thought to think that at least the first three are very possible given enough time. (ok, drunk drivers are not an unlikely event, but unless said drunk driver is driving a nuclear submarine I think he is not going to risk the safety of mankind globally)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12 Re: Biggest threat? 
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by jakotaco
    What do you think is the biggest threat to humankind globally?
    Noel Edmonds.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    19
    Something we haven't thought of yet!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3
    A small group of men and women.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Samurai of Logic Falconer360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Washington
    Posts
    1,175
    Kent Hovind.... and Ken Ham.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson

    "It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down"
    - Yagyu Munenori

    "Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16 USA politics 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28
    The biggest threat without a doubt is the American administration.

    Controlled by bankers - run by puppets... they are the biggest threat to the whole world.

    The current economic crisis will worsen and will lead to an economic collapse... very possibly by design.

    And worse of all... they are only succeeding because they are preying on people's ignorance and the fact that people who think they are intelligent deny things that they don't agree with but still can't be bothered to investigate.

    But that, unquestionably, is the biggest and most immediate threat.


    2nd to that it could be viruses/bacteria.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    416
    ^ that seems like something that needs a bit of evidence to go along with it. perhaps a topic in the politics section?

    i disagree, although the american political system is a threat and a continuing menace to human rights, i don't think that the human race as a whole is in any danger from an economic collapse. obviously the collapse is possible but it doesn't present a real danger, we've dealt with economic collapses before and the human race has shown that it survives those handily.
    physics: accurate, objective, boring
    chemistry: accurate if physics is accurate, slightly subjective, you can blow stuff up
    biology: accurate if chemistry is accurate, somewhat subjective, fascinating
    religion: accurate if people are always right, highly subjective, bewildering
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •